BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers new style of play and how we play it

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No but objectively, did we have any good chances aside from the goals? If the answer is no, how can you justify being hard done by? Grahams half chance was the only other decent chance I can recall.

As I have said, if that is the blueprint for a good performance then the standards are piss poor. Both games were like watching paint dry.

Yes against Forest. Williams header. 

I enjoyed our Forest game. Enjoyed passing and movement. 

We just have to agree to disagree cos we aint going to agree

17 minutes ago, Mark corrigan said:

So shots on target in the second half count for less?

And surely shots off target are more due to shoddy finishing / shooting rather than the style of play?

I'd think it rather points to our lack of ambition in the first half of games.

Let me explain something to you stats often cast a distorted view of what actually went on and if you have 25 shots it doesn't mean you played well.

Case in point being Saturday where the only urgency in the game came when QPR were home and dry.  A similar effort in the first half might not have seen us 2 nil down mins into the start of the second.

Lack of shots in the first half of games might have something to do with style of play in that particular half after all.

On 06/10/2019 at 11:10, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

We’re an ‘attacking team’ lads, Mowbray said as much yesterday. Maybe he’s referring to the under 23s as I haven’t seen much evidence of if at first team level! 

Exactly. The 23's under Damien Johnson had an identity. A formation that they stuck to, a way of playing the ball around, the team didn't change every week and players knew exactly where to be and where to go etc..

Our problem at first team level is there's too much fluidity.

Downing is on the wing but then also in the middle, Dack is in midfield but also kind of up front, Holtby is a central player but kind of out to one side when he comes on... It's like, make your mind up TM. Pick the team, and stick with it for a month, let them gel and give them proper positional instruction!

1 hour ago, Mark corrigan said:

So shots on target in the second half count for less?

And surely shots off target are more due to shoddy finishing / shooting rather than the style of play?

Shots on target at any time count for nowt. Goals are the only thing that counts

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well speaking other fans(who dont come on here) all said we played well and deserved alot more than 1 point against them. I thought against Forest we were good. Deserve to win tbh 

Not everyone will share your view mate

We are literally going nowhere under Mowbray. His new possession style of football has rendered us toothless in attack. We were very fortunate to score 2 against QPR. I was there with 2 neutrals and both commented that it was like watching a friendly, that they had seen 6 goals yet weren't entertained as we were coasting through and weren't competitive in the slightest. 

Scabby goal against forest after the game generally being drab. We keep the ball without ever threatening. When we lose it, it is dangerous positions and we're exposed. I foresee this actually being the start of a very poor run which will culminate in Mowbray losing his job. Sometimes the signs are there that the rot has set in. The bad run of form has just begun. Unfortunately he will lose his job too late. 

The only player who will give the side some hope now is travis. As he is the only player which drives forward from the centre. Nevertheless. We're toast, directionless, uncompetitive, stale, boring, players and manager stuck in comfort zones, lacking passion, leadership, drive, heart and most importantly hope. 

It is the start of a repeat of the post Christmas run. Scarily early this time though 

Just now, ben_the_beast said:

We are literally going nowhere under Mowbray. His new possession style of football has rendered us toothless in attack. We were very fortunate to score 2 against QPR. I was there with 2 neutrals and both commented that it was like watching a friendly, that they had seen 6 goals yet weren't entertained as we were coasting through and weren't competitive in the slightest. 

Scabby goal against forest after the game generally being drab. We keep the ball without ever threatening. When we lose it, it is dangerous positions and we're exposed. I foresee this actually being the start of a very poor run which will culminate in Mowbray losing his job. Sometimes the signs are there that the rot has set in. The bad run of form has just begun. Unfortunately he will lose his job too late. 

The only player who will give the side some hope now is travis. As he is the only player which drives forward from the centre. Nevertheless. We're toast, directionless, uncompetitive, stale, boring, players and manager stuck in comfort zones, lacking passion, leadership, drive, heart and most importantly hope. 

It is the start of a repeat of the post Christmas run. Scarily early this time though 

Like I said on Saturday I couldn't complain if Mowbray was sack. 

I explained my views on Forest and QPR games and how we played. and who I think our key players. 

I deffo wouldn't say Mowbray is lacking passion, drive or heart. 

I did suggest a number of possible targets. I have admit I don't know who I would appoint if Mowbray was to go. 

Are you on the paye roll . If the rumours  are true and senior  players are not being played because  of rows with the manager  . Dose this mean he's  lost the dressing room  ive not got a issues  with TM the man but has a manager  where do you want me too start. He's  brought  all these problems onto his self  ie playing players out of position   having a blind spot for certain  players at the club . Poor signings  and not bring in quality  Defenders  when everybody  could see the defenders  we had where not good enough   Its time for a change  TM has too go

10 hours ago, stinny1 said:

Are you on the paye roll . If the rumours  are true and senior  players are not being played because  of rows with the manager  . Dose this mean he's  lost the dressing room  ive not got a issues  with TM the man but has a manager  where do you want me too start. He's  brought  all these problems onto his self  ie playing players out of position   having a blind spot for certain  players at the club . Poor signings  and not bring in quality  Defenders  when everybody  could see the defenders  we had where not good enough   Its time for a change  TM has too go

What senior players are not being played? DG played, Bennett always plays, Evans shouldnt be playing anyway or should Smallwood. THats about it for senior players unless you talking Johnson and Downing who have both been playing.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11830591/burnley8217s-style-of-play-is-now-unique-among-premier-league-teams

Found this to be a very good article, albeit such a shame that its our rivals getting the praise.

Theres an obsession with playing it out from the back, we are the perfect example of a side who it doesnt suit, who seemingly dont understand how to do it and seem to be trying solely because its popular. We dont have the players and ultimately this season has been incredibly boring and led to few goals and few goalscoring chances. Burnley have 2 strikers, they have wide players like the talented Dwight McNeil and they consistently overachieve and have a consistent, set style.

Dyche sadly is a superb manager and the sooner a bigger club realises that, Sadly amidst the snobbery in the game I cant see that happening at the moment. Clubs would rather get a more exotic choice, a Marco Silva or a Quique Sanches Flores and ultimately flatter to deceive but trick people into thinking its better to watch. He would be a superb choice for Everton. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...