BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers new style of play and how we play it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In most games where Gallagher has started we have gone long but the fundamental difference is that Gallagher is usually on the right wing whereas Graham is more central. In the league games I haven't seen too much evidence of what Mowbray was trying to achieve with a passing game.

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Screenshot_20190910-171137_Twitter.jpg

Basically the same as last season then. Only difference is that sometimes the long balls are pinged to the right wing as opposed to only down the centre, and it's more from the defenders than the goalkeeper. Not exactly a sweeping change in style. With that said if we win matches we could have played a thousand long balls and I wouldn't care. Not convinced the way we play is going to have any long-term success though.

• Like 1

This is what i don't get with Mowbray if he wants to play that way or the Sheff Utd way then sign players for that purpose, set out that way and play that god damn way drill it into them until it hurts. It might take a season or two but it should get results however he'll need a proper target man.

He strikes me as a pragmatic type trying to put on fancy clothes and pretend his isn't but if ever there was a guy who seems caught in two minds it's him so what we get is something in between.  If he did play that way and get them more regimented then it wouldn't allow him to swap and change so much and half his favs would have to be left out so on we roll, maybe he is trying to evolve it slowly but it still all needs to be built on a solid defence and keeper. Something he's fallen down on since he walked through the door.

What i do feel he and we are good at is the counter attacking moving the ball a bit quicker however he only does that now and again and still you need the right types coming in for that to perfect it.  To be fair it's hard to play way every week but i still think we are capable of doing it a bit more effectively with the right selections and coaching.

Far too much mix and match in terms of players and tactics yet it still usually ends up resembling the same thing but then again it is the championship with championship and kids and league 1 standard individuals so never going to be easy.

I think teams have proved though that unless you are a cut above everybody else like a relegated side looking to bounce straight back you really have to try and grind your way out of this division very few football their way out.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you have the stats for how many passes we have made for each game and what percentage of these were as you say 'long balls' compare to other teams in you post above?

Believe it or not, no.

The long ball stat I have shown doesnt surprise me to be honest. The football this season has been terrible to watch, with Gallagher his main signing if anything adding to the long ball style. I havent seen any signs that we have either moved to a passing style to carve teams open through the thirds, or that we are any more threatening compared to last season.

Ultimately, theres nothing wrong with direct football if it is strategic and effective but ultimately the quality of chances created and the goals scored from open play so far has been pretty dismal.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Believe it or not, no.

The long ball stat I have shown doesnt surprise me to be honest. The football this season has been terrible to watch, with Gallagher his main signing if anything adding to the long ball style. I havent seen any signs that we have either moved to a passing style to carve teams open through the thirds, or that we are any more threatening compared to last season.

Ultimately, theres nothing wrong with direct football if it is strategic and effective but ultimately the quality of chances created and the goals scored from open play so far has been pretty dismal.

No surprise but I have stats from the official Rovers website..here are the stats from last 5 games

Screenshot_20190910-200458_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200535_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200612_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200650_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200729_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No surprise but I have stats from the official Rovers website..here are the stats from last 5 games

Screenshot_20190910-200458_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200535_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200612_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200650_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190910-200729_Samsung Internet.jpg

The rest of my post stands, and in all 4 league games youve sent weve played more long balls than our opposition?!

Do you think weve been playing the short passing style Mowbray promised, or more importantly effective attacking football? If so to either we have been at different games.

The problem with statistics is they don't tell the full picture. Namely we shunt it about the back 4, and defensive mid occasionally, for half a dozen passes before seeing no openings and wellying it forward. Now the stats will say only one of those passes is long, which is technically true, but stylistically it's utterly long ball as the other 5-6 passes do nothing. 

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The rest of my post stands, and in all 4 league games youve sent weve played more long balls than our opposition?!

Do you think weve been playing the short passing style Mowbray promised, or more importantly effective attacking football? If so to either we have been at different games.

And in 3 out of last 4 league gamee we played more passes than the opposition aswell which you dont take into account. 

Why ignore the Sheff Utd game? 

Suggest you look at my previous post about how many long passes we play as a percentage of our total passes. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

And in 3 out of last 4 league gamee we played more passes than the opposition aswell which you dont take into account. 

Suggest you look at my previous post about how many long passes we play as a percentage of our total passes. 

As explained above this is a tad misleading. A huge number of our shorter passes are dithering along the back line. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The stat was a league one and pretty conclusive IMO.

Either way, do you think we have played attractive and/or effective attacking football in our first 6 league games?

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Stats are there for you to see. Tell you what you want to know

League 1???

The stat was a league one, ie only league games. 

Stats just back up my view that the football we have played so far in the league in an attacking sense has been both boring and ineffective. Im guessing you disagree.

I've only missed the Hull game so far this season, and even that I watched on TV.

I have seen no evidence of this "new style" so far, apart from as someone else said, a few non descript passes across the back four, into midfield and back again before playing either a long diagonal ball to Gallagher or one through the middle to Graham if he's playing, instead of Lenihan pinging it forward at the first opportunity like he would normally do last season.

It really was very Mowbray like that after all his pre season jabbering about being more "technical" that within 5 seconds of the opening day of the season, we kicked off, played it back to Lenihan who then lumped it straight out of play.

The 4 home games so far including the Oldham game have been really, really dull, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, any walk on's that attended any of those games will hardly be rushing out to buy a season ticket.

I look at this side at the moment and I haven't a clue who is going to score our goals, we don't remotely look like scoring from open play unless the other team practically gives us a goal, Bennett at right back and strikers on the wings is becoming more infuriating with every game that goes past, Buckley looks to be the next Mowbray project that he will continually shoehorn in off the bench now, he just looks like a slightly more "technical" as Mowbray would put it Corry Evans, I can't ever see him changing a game, he should have been sent on loan somewhere for some much needed experience.

If we get above 12th for a prolonged amount of time this season I will be amazed. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you have the stats for how many passes we have made for each game and what percentage of these were as you say 'long balls' compare to other teams in you post above?

Percentage of passes made which are Long Balls:

Blackburn 19%
Preston 21%
Wigan 24%
Bristol City 20%
QPR 16%

Interesting to note that 42% of our attacks go down the right hand side, 25% middle and 33% left.