BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greatest player for a Lancashire club.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

To play for a Lancs club? Matthews was a Stokie.

Real Lancs or the small modern area? So George Best, Kenny too?

Matthews made more appearances for Blackpool. Can remember asking on another forum some time back why Douglas didn't get as much attention as Matthews/Finney...

"Regarding Matthews and Finney and why they gained more publicity. Matthews was possibly the best one position footballer England has produced and probably the first footballer to endorse various products. Yes he did have a final named after him when Stan Mortenson scored a hat trick. Now to Finney, if there was only one player in the world who I could sign it would be him. He played in every forward position for PNE and several for England. He could dribble, head, shoot tackle and it took years to work out which was his natural foot. He was simply the best and was rightly acclaimed."

• Like 4

Both before my time but my dad reckoned there was nothing to choose between Finney and Douglas. He wasn't overly complimentary about Matthews and I don't think Clayton and Lofthouse were quite at that same level.

In the modern era Shearer by a mile - better than Kenny and Giggs at their peak while he was with us.

Gerrard and Scholes aren't in the same league as the Bests and Charltons of this world either.

All in my opinion of course (and my late dad's when it comes to the older mob).

• Like 1

Just now, Brigger68 said:

Lancashire being traditional. Preston Blackpool Blackburn Burnley Bolton Wigan and Accrington. 

That’s not traditional!

Lancashire contained Manchester and Liverpool, plus much more for a thousand years until 1974.

Though the historical county still does exist.

But if you mean ‘town clubs’ then fair enough.

• Like 5

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

No doubt about it Sir Stanley Matthews, a true pioneer of the game. 

Better all round player than Sir Tom ? 

2 footed. Brilliant in the air. Could put a foot in. 

Finney is probably the best ever English player. 

Once took and scored 2 penalties 1 with each foot oh and also fought with the desert rats before resuming his career at PNE. 

Only Finnying as he was my Dad's hero and I lost him last week. 

He was a top bloke though was Tommy. 

• Like 5

That’s not traditional!

Lancashire contained Manchester and Liverpool, plus much more for a thousand years until 1974.

Neither Liverpool or Manchester was actually considered traditional Lancashire. You could put Bury Rochdale and Oldham in traditional Lancashire. 

Neither Liverpool or Manchester was actually considered traditional Lancashire. You could put Bury Rochdale and Oldham in traditional Lancashire. 

By who? Of course they are! Just because they are cities. They are as Lancashire as any of those places.

http://www.forl.co.uk

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

That’s not traditional!

Throw Southport in if you want. It's not though and never has been. 

Manchester and Liverpool always saw themselves better than Lancashire. Kid yourself all you want. 

No scouser calls themselves Lancastrians anymore.

But do crack on. 

The use of that word in itself implies that they once did. I'm afraid you are just plain wrong about Manchester and Liverpool. Even in my lifetime they were considered part of Lancs. Hence the East Lancs Road that connects them!

Condolences for your recent loss by the way mate.

• Like 1

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

The use of that word in itself implies that they once did. I'm afraid you are just plain wrong about Manchester and Liverpool. Even in my lifetime they were considered part of Lancs. Hence the East Lancs Road that connects them!

Condolences for your recent loss by the way mate.

Cheers pal. 

Manchester and Liverpool always saw themselves better than Lancashire. Kid yourself all you want. 

But do crack on. 

Because they’ve been out of the modern county for 40+ years, younger Scousers see themselves as ‘Merseyside’, fine, doesn’t change the facts that the historical county exists.

And yes Southport has been a Lancashire coastal town for hundreds of years, despite the 1974 administrative boundary changes.

Always amazes me when Lancastrians inside the ‘modern county’ try and diminish their own heritage.

Anyway. Let people talk about players from Lancashire town clubs, as it could be an interesting thread.

• Like 2

I'm 51 and obviously I'm wrong because LCCC play in Manchester and also at Aigburth and Southport and even Sedbergh now but not one of those locations is traditional Lancashire. 

YES they are!! (Not Sedbergh). From medieval times!!! The boundary set in 1182 at the River Mersey.

Why else would Lancashire county  cricket club in the 1860s set up their club in Manchester!! How much more ‘tradition’ do you want!

Bloody hell!

Edited by Mattyblue

But do crack on. 

Some people have even referred to the "Republic of Liverpool". 

Throw Southport in if you want. It's not though and never has been. 

Not sure they are in the topic debate either!

Because they’ve been out of the modern county for 40+ years, younger Scousers see themselves as ‘Merseyside’, fine, doesn’t change the facts that the historical county exists.

And yes Southport has been a Lancashire coastal town for hundreds of years, despite the 1974 administrative boundary changes.

Always amazes me when Lancastrians inside the ‘modern county’ try and diminish their own heritage.

Anyway. Let people talk about players from Lancashire town clubs, as it could be an interesting thread.

Cricket should be played at West Cliff or Stanley Park. 

Nothing a out diminishing heritage pal it's about being real. 

Real Lancashire is the M65/M6/M55. 

I was born in hospital in Southport which was then very much traditional Lancashire as is Liverpool, the majority of Greater Manchester and the Furness peninsula including Barrow. It doesn't matter what the people of Liverpool, Manchester and Southport thought about it, up to 1974 they lived in Lancashire.

Anyway, whatever boundary you give Lancashire the answer to your original question is still clearly Tom Finney. He could play anywhere and to boot was a wonderful human being. After retirement he would happily come to the opening of a crisp packet if it was in a good cause.

• Like 4