BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greatest player for a Lancashire club.

Just now, only2garners said:

I was born in hospital in Southport which was then very much traditional Lancashire as is Liverpool, the majority of Greater Manchester and the Furness peninsula including Barrow. It doesn't matter what the people of Liverpool, Manchester and Southport thought about it, up to 1974 they lived in Lancashire.

Anyway, whatever boundary you give Lancashire the answer to your original question is still clearly Tom Finney. He could play anywhere and to boot was a wonderful human being. After retirement he would happily come to the opening of a crisp packet if it was in a good cause.

A little tale. 

Booths in Preston the Fulwood shop across from the RPH. I was in there years ago and Tommy was in with Elsie his wife who was suffering with dementia really badly at the time. I will never forget the courage of the man. His wife was clearly poorly and she was hooked on his arm as they walked round the store. The thing was he never took the smile off his face and had time for everybody. I remember people hugging Sir Tom and just wanting to be near him. 

Maybe not a Rovers legend but a real proper Legend on and off the pitch. 

• Like 2

Just now, matt83 said:

Technically Blackburn and Blackpool are unitary authorities. Do we even qualify as Lancastrian from the boundary butchering act. 

Just rename Lancs county council as Greater Preston and be done with it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brigger68 said:

Better all round player than Sir Tom ? 

2 footed. Brilliant in the air. Could put a foot in. 

Finney is probably the best ever English player. 

Once took and scored 2 penalties 1 with each foot oh and also fought with the desert rats before resuming his career at PNE. 

Only Finnying as he was my Dad's hero and I lost him last week. 

He was a top bloke though was Tommy. 

My Dad was Rovers through and through but always said Tom Finney was the best complete footballer he had ever seen play live. He said Finney could have played in any position. Best I've seen play live in ''Lancs Traditional'' is Bryan Douglas.

Best footballer I've ever seen play live was Best.

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

My Dad was Rovers through and through but always said Tom Finney was the best complete footballer he had ever seen play live. He said Finney could have played in any position. Best I've seen play live in ''Lancs Traditional'' is Bryan Douglas.

Best footballer I've ever seen play live was Best.

Wow, you saw Best live. What was the game? 

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow, you saw Best live. What was the game? 

1966 at OT v Burnley. We were in Manchester on a School trip studying 'conurbations' (and Cider as I recall) and took the game in. Vivid memory of Best putting the fullback on his backside a few times with his dribbling and speed of foot. 

1971 v Everton at Goodison. George was showing a bit of belly but on an awful pitch was still a classic.

I think the Law, Best and Charlton trio played in both games.

Edit: Just checked as I had forgotten the exact scores and Law did not play v Everton. Utd hammered Dingles 4-1, lost at Goodison

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brigger68 said:

Neither Liverpool or Manchester was actually considered traditional Lancashire. You could put Bury Rochdale and Oldham in traditional Lancashire. 

I remembered showing my grandma a rovers scarf which said 'The pride of Lancashire' in the mid 90s (she was in her 80s at the time) and she asked 'what about liverpool and united?'. I always went with her authority on this matter. She was rovers through and through btw.

Edited by elwaxo
Spelling

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

1966 at OT v Burnley. We were in Manchester on a School trip studying 'conurbations' (and Cider as I recall) and took the game in. Vivid memory of Best putting the fullback on his backside a few times with his dribbling and speed of foot. 

1971 v Everton at Goodison. George was showing a bit of belly but on an awful pitch was still a classic.

Edit: Just checked as I had forgotten the exact scores and Law did not play v Everton. Utd hammered Dingles 4-1, lost at Goodison

Lucky man seeing Best play. Wow. 

I think for the older end on here Tommy Finney is the best player they ever saw. 

He had everything apparently. 

My old man says Best was the one. That’s not belittling anyone by the way. Sir Tom was a top fella by all accounts, he was in the army with my wife’s late grandad (rip) who also said he was a top bloke, as was he. Ronnie was a lovely fella, captain of England. Dougie, another really nice guy. Still goes to Ewood of course.

So to contradict myself I really wouldn’t worry too much about who was the best. They’re all absolute legends.

• Like 3

Just now, bob fleming said:

My old man says Best was the one. That’s not belittling anyone by the way. Sir Tom was a top fella by all accounts, he was in the army with my wife’s late grandad (rip) who also said he was a top bloke, as was he. Ronnie was a lovely fella, captain of England. Dougie, another really nice guy. Still goes to Ewood of course.

So to contradict myself I really wouldn’t worry too much about who was the best. They’re all absolute legends.

Finney was better than Best pal. Nobody comes close to Finney. 

I agree they are all legends. 

Just now, Brigger68 said:

Finney was better than Best pal. Nobody comes close to Finney. 

I agree they are all legends. 

If you’re only in your early 50s you can’t possibly have seen enough of either of them to even have an opinion on whether Finney was better than Best. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elwaxo said:

I remembered showing my grandma a rovers scarf which said 'The pride of Lancashire' in the mid 90s (she was in her 80s at the time) and she asked 'what about liverpool and united?'. I always went with her authority on this matter. She was rovers through and through btw.

Marketing. 

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Class. A brilliant time to have been able to watch games like that live. I'd say a few of the tackles that went in then, would be instant red cards now ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

Technically Blackburn and Blackpool are unitary authorities. Do we even qualify as Lancastrian from the boundary butchering act. 

Most certainly! I'm a Sandgrown - native Blackpudlian - Rovers' fan.

When I go back to my old school's Old Boys' Dinner, we raise our glasses for the loyal toast, "The Queen, Duke of Lancaster." We did so before local government reform in the 1970s; we did so this year.

Oh, and back on topic; Finney, by a country mile.