BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Greatest player for a Lancashire club.

1 hour ago, MCMC1875 said:

What is the trophy pictured?

It does look quite a bit like the FA Cup trophy that was played for between 1895, the original having been stolen whilst held by Aston Villa, and 1911 - but can't see any handles!

This trophy was replaced by the Football Association (FA) after 1909 winners Manchester United made a replica and the FA realised it did not own the copyright.  Good to see the FA have not changed much over the years.

Thanks to David Gold it is now on permanent display at the National Football Museum.

Its replacement was used from 1911 until 1991.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 10:17, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm out in Spain at the moment so I can't do it now. I'm a klutz with computers but No 2 son is pretty good. I'll see what he can do when I get back. It really is a great little series of drawings, the caricature is Dougie to a tee.

Any luck with the picture?

On 24/09/2019 at 00:05, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've found it but I'm having trouble getting No2 son to come around to my house to sort the job out. I'll do my best to kick him up the backside. If you live anywhere near Rochdale you're welcome to come and view it in person.

I wish I could, I'm thousands of miles away.

10 hours ago, elwaxo said:

I wish I could, I'm thousands of miles away.

That's a shame. I'm going round to his place tonight to watch the Man Utd v Rochdale game so I'll try and put a rocket under him. I've got loads of cuttings from the 1963 era, mainly from the " Last Sports ". Lots of those little" Sam Says" cartoons - One after we'd beaten Sheff Wed 3-0 on Good Friday - " Yon Owls Played Like They'd Been Up All Neet ". I've got reports and photographs of the famous Bryan Douglas goal against WBA the next day. Still the best goal I've ever seen by a Rovers player.

I started playing myself the following season so my visits to Ewood became a lot less after that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's a shame. I'm going round to his place tonight to watch the Man Utd v Rochdale game so I'll try and put a rocket under him. I've got loads of cuttings from the 1963 era, mainly from the " Last Sports ". Lots of those little" Sam Says" cartoons - One after we'd beaten Sheff Wed 3-0 on Good Friday - " Yon Owls Played Like They'd Been Up All Neet ". I've got reports and photographs of the famous Bryan Douglas goal against WBA the next day. Still the best goal I've ever seen by a Rovers player.

I started playing myself the following season so my visits to Ewood became a lot less after that.

They sound amazing. My dad was a regular during those times, he'd love to see them. Hope Rochdale play a good game! Go easy on yr lad :)

Not really a contender for greatest Lancs player by a long shot, but this thread reminded me of something.

During the war my Grandad was involved in the campaign in Italy and during this time his regimental PT instructor was Rovers centre half Bob Pryde.

Grandad used to tell me stories about Pryde taking the squad out for a 'run' around mount Etna only to take them 10 mins away from the camp and tell them to knock off, have a smoke and have a rest for half an hour before jogging back and doing their best to look like they'd been on a proper run. Grandad was the only one who didn't smoke (including Pryde), but he appreciated the break!

Pryde went on to make 320 appearances for Rovers between 1933 and 1949, in spite of serving in the war, scoring 11 goals (or so a quick google tells me). Not sure how many years he was away for, but you'd have to imagine he'd be near the top of our all time appearances list if there hadn't been a war on. Eventually went on to manage Wigan for a couple of seasons too.

Odd bit of family history, but might be of interest to some.

• Like 8

Just now, AspRover said:

Not really a contender for greatest Lancs player by a long shot, but this thread reminded me of something.

During the war my Grandad was involved in the campaign in Italy and during this time his regimental PT instructor was Rovers centre half Bob Pryde.

Grandad used to tell me stories about Pryde taking the squad out for a 'run' around mount Etna only to take them 10 mins away from the camp and tell them to knock off, have a smoke and have a rest for half an hour before jogging back and doing their best to look like they'd been on a proper run. Grandad was the only one who didn't smoke (including Pryde), but he appreciated the break!

Pryde went on to make 320 appearances for Rovers between 1933 and 1949, in spite of serving in the war, scoring 11 goals (or so a quick google tells me). Not sure how many years he was away for, but you'd have to imagine he'd be near the top of our all time appearances list if there hadn't been a war on. Eventually went on to manage Wigan for a couple of seasons too.

Odd bit of family history, but might be of interest to some.

Great story ?

On 02/09/2019 at 06:33, MCMC1875 said:

What is the trophy pictured?

If it is indeed the second FA Cup stolen from a Birmingham shop window, I can reveal (according to family lore on my wife’s side - Small Heath Brummies) that it was stolen by my father-in-law’s uncle plus other Peaky Blinder types and melted down to make into Half-crowns (quite a few of them worked in the Jewellery Quarter, as did my pa-in-law). Such was the furore after they nicked it, they abandoned the plan after making a handful of coins and did the equivalent of throwing the evidence into the cut. 

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

58 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If it is indeed the second FA Cup stolen from a Birmingham shop window, I can reveal (according to family lore on my wife’s side - Small Heath Brummies) that it was stolen by my father-in-law’s uncle plus other Peaky Blinder types and melted down to make into Half-crowns (quite a few of them worked in the Jewellery Quarter, as did my pa-in-law). Such was the furore after they nicked it, they abandoned the plan after making a handful of coins and did the equivalent of throwing the evidence into the cut. 

Plenty of canals in Jewellery Quarter but it must be a different Cup because it has no handles.