Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brigger68

Greatest player for a Lancashire club.

Recommended Posts

This is especially for @Mike E 

Bob Crompton looking down his nose at the Spurs captain at WHL, 9th February 1911, FA Cup replay, second round I think, Rovers won away 0-2

 

 

19110209 at Spurs FA Cup win 0-2 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need to look at the Brazil side of 1970 before you say that todays footballers are technically superior. IMO todays footballers are not more technically gifted at all. Fitter? yes.  Better diets? Yes. Previous generations of footballers would have been brought up on the same if they were around today. You can't coach that level of skill. You either have it or you dont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

This is especially for @Mike E 

Bob Crompton looking down his nose at the Spurs captain at WHL, 9th February 1911, FA Cup replay, second round I think, Rovers won away 0-2

 

 

19110209 at Spurs FA Cup win 0-2 (1).jpg

Look at that moustache! Practically dripping in testosterone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ossyian said:

I think you need to look at the Brazil side of 1970 before you say that todays footballers are technically superior. IMO todays footballers are not more technically gifted at all. Fitter? yes.  Better diets? Yes. Previous generations of footballers would have been brought up on the same if they were around today. You can't coach that level of skill. You either have it or you dont

And we almost beat them! England 1970 were a bloody good team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ossyian said:

I think you need to look at the Brazil side of 1970 before you say that todays footballers are technically superior. IMO todays footballers are not more technically gifted at all. Fitter? yes.  Better diets? Yes. Previous generations of footballers would have been brought up on the same if they were around today. You can't coach that level of skill. You either have it or you dont

Fair play, went back and watched Brazil 1970. Very very good. Much higher standard than the 68 european cup final going on the clips.

However I would still say the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovic etc are operating at a higher level, but it's not possible to definitively prove. 

Anyway I'll stop pi**ing on people's chips and shut up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2019 at 10:05, Stuart said:

That’s some praise indeed. Matthews won an FA Cup Final on his own. Not to disrespect your dad but blue-and-white goggles on the Dougie part?

Not taking anything away from Matthews, but in the cup final he had a brilliant 10 to 15 minutes against a makeshift  defence. The left half had been a passenger for much of the game (no subs) and Langton had to drop back to fill in, taking away a huge Bolton threat up front. Mortenson scored a hat trick.

Matthews was arguably the best right winger of all time, but not as good an all round footballer as Douglas, Finney is another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not after a bite on here but seriously taking the blinkers off was Douglas really in the same league as Finney? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, renrag said:

Not taking anything away from Matthews, but in the cup final he had a brilliant 10 to 15 minutes against a makeshift  defence. The left half had been a passenger for much of the game (no subs) and Langton had to drop back to fill in, taking away a huge Bolton threat up front. Mortenson scored a hat trick.

Matthews was arguably the best right winger of all time, but not as good an all round footballer as Douglas, Finney is another story.

Sorry I misread your post mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brigger68 said:

Sorry I misread your post mate. 

No probs. There’s certainly no British player comes anywhere near comparison with Finney. What would his price be today?

Edited by renrag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for Finney - my dad always said he was the best player he ever saw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, renrag said:

No probs. There’s certainly no British player comes anywhere near comparison with Finney. What would his price be today?

Gotta be Messi region. 

Best I've seen live. Him and Maradona. Maradona just edge's it with his success with Argentina. 

Another shout out for the real Ronaldo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ossyian said:

Best footballer I have seen live in Lancashire was Best closely followed by Bobby Charlton and Denis Law. All different types I know. England have been shite since Charlton was subbed at half time against W Germany Mexico 70 to save him for the semi final! That went swimmingly well 😀😀. He was that important to us at age 32. He was my hero though as a kid so could do no wrong in my eyes

Denis Law was a terrific player. He was the one I really feared when we played Utd. He rarely had a bad game and he was very aggressive for a small guy. A bit like a quick David Speedie but miles better. Charlton I could take or leave. A pal of mine used to say " A team of Bobby Charlton's would never win anything because they'd never have the ball. " He blew a bit hot and cold for me. Charlton wasn't subbed at half time against Germany he was subbed about 10 minutes from the end because he was shattered, He'd just let the guy he should have been marking ( Franz Beckenbauer ) run from the centre circle to the edge of our box to score their first goal. It's amazing how these myths persist. I had to correct the " Daily Fail " once when they repeated the myth that Charlton was subbed at 2-0. The score was 2-1.

I must be one of the last lucky ones who saw Bryan Douglas run Law, Charlton, Stiles etc ragged at Old Trafford when we won 3-0 there years ago. " The Manchester Evening News " published a match report with a cartoon strip that showed a really good caricature of Dougie weaving his way in and out of about 6 Utd defenders who were all busy falling over as he went past them. The little fella beat them on his own that day ! I still have the cartoon but I don't know how to up load it.

 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brigger68 said:

Not after a bite on here but seriously taking the blinkers off was Douglas really in the same league as Finney? 

 

I saw them both, did you ?  Douglas was definitely in the Tom Finney league but I'd say Tom was just that little bit better. Finney was a better attacking player up front, Douglas was a better playmaker coming from midfield. When he was running the midfield for us in the No10 shirt in the 1963 to 65 period there was nobody better in the old Div 1 but Sir Alf wanted Bobby Charlton instead.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

And we almost beat them! England 1970 were a bloody good team.

That's the best performance by any England team I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad always says we had a better side in ‘70. Alas an injury to Gordon Banks and the rest is history...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

My dad always says we had a better side in ‘70. Alas an injury to Gordon Banks and the rest is history...

Banks had the runs apparently. Peter Bonnetti was a really good keeper but hadn't played enough games for England because Banks was so good. The bloke just froze on the day, he let a really soft goal in for their first and his head went after that. The great Keith Newton's last game in an England shirt also.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I saw them both, did you ?  Douglas was definitely in the Tom Finney league but I'd say Tom was just that little bit better. Finney was a better attacking player up front, Douglas was a better playmaker coming from midfield. When he was running the midfield for us in the No10 shirt in the 1963 to 65 period there was nobody better in the old Div 1 but Sir Alf wanted Bobby Charlton instead.

Only born in 68 mate so no but both parents were/are massive football people. 

My mum was a regular at Ewood from the mid 50s till the mid 00s. (Riverside) 

My Dad was a regular at Deepdale from the late 40s until Tom Finney finished around 1960 then just went now and then. In fact both my parents were at Finneys last ever game at Deepdale against Luton Town. 

Both say Douglas was a great player but never in the same league as Tom Finney. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Brigger68 said:

Only born in 68 mate so no but both parents were/are massive football people. 

My mum was a regular at Ewood from the mid 50s till the mid 00s. (Riverside) 

My Dad was a regular at Deepdale from the late 40s until Tom Finney finished around 1960 then just went now and then. In fact both my parents were at Finneys last ever game at Deepdale against Luton Town. 

Both say Douglas was a great player but never in the same league as Tom Finney. 

I was at that game and also his testimonial and have programs from both games signed by SirTom, as well as the LEP souvenir. Incidentally, in the testimonial game Douglas partnered McIlroy on the right and, even though it was only a friendly, their class and understanding stood out. They were magic and anyone would have thought they had played together for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brigger68 said:

Only born in 68 mate so no but both parents were/are massive football people. 

My mum was a regular at Ewood from the mid 50s till the mid 00s. (Riverside) 

My Dad was a regular at Deepdale from the late 40s until Tom Finney finished around 1960 then just went now and then. In fact both my parents were at Finneys last ever game at Deepdale against Luton Town. 

Both say Douglas was a great player but never in the same league as Tom Finney. 

Tell 'em from me - they're wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great discussion here 

One more for the mix. My 2002 hat trick for Langho reserves against Blue Star was a performance for the ages.

Whilst some of these players are legendary in stature could they have done it on a pleasant Tuesday evening at Pleasy in September?

Edited by Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2019 at 22:49, AllRoverAsia said:

This is especially for @Mike E 

Bob Crompton looking down his nose at the Spurs captain at WHL, 9th February 1911, FA Cup replay, second round I think, Rovers won away 0-2

 

 

19110209 at Spurs FA Cup win 0-2 (1).jpg

Madon, can you post this photo to WMC group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2019 at 06:00, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Tell 'em from me - they're wrong.

Douglas and Finney were in a league of their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 47er said:

Douglas and Finney were in a league of their own.

In peace, as ever ...

It's very difficult to judge players from across the generations ... but you can only view them against their peers, and the game as it was then. How good would Matthews, Finney, Douglas and McIlroy be today with modern preparation, better medical treatment, lighter kit & balls, the protection from bad fouls, and playing on pitches that they would regard as " bowling greens " in comparison to what they played on after November each year ?  

I enjoy reading about the games' history .... A lot has been posted about Tom Finney, who I had the privilege of meeting a couple of times, and Brian Douglas ( understandably feted on this  Forum ) . Jimmy McIlroy, who passed away just over a year ago, was a gentle modest man, who received accolades late on in his life, ( MBE, Freedom of the Borough, National Football Hall of Fame and a stand named after him ) . He always said these were not just for him, but for " my  lovely lads I played with ", particularly the title winning side of 1959-60. In his last auto-biography, Stan Matthews said of Ilroy, " Some players could make the ball talk, McIlroy could make it recite Shakespeare " !  

Stan Mortenson was always sanguine when his FA Cup final hat-trick was often overlooked when the 1953 final became known as the " Matthews final " . He would often joke that ," When I eventually pop my clogs, they'll probably call it the " Matthews funeral " ! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2019 at 13:22, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

 " The Manchester Evening News " published a match report with a cartoon strip that showed a really good caricature of Dougie weaving his way in and out of about 6 Utd defenders who were all busy falling over as he went past them. The little fella beat them on his own that day ! I still have the cartoon but I don't know how to up load it.

 

I'd love to see that. You could find someone to scan it for you, or just take a photo of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.