BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances

10 hours ago, philipl said:

Yes, sadly the big issue discouraging the Asian communities.

In all of my time watching Rovers, I’ve never seen racism directed at fellow Rovers fans on the terraces, home or away. You’re talking dangerous, divisive, shite.

14 hours ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Just looked at the catering, some sort of hot dog, crisps and soft drink leaves two quid change from a tenner. Attractive pricing.

Have you been to a cinema recently to make a price comparison?

Since relegation, every Championship season we’ve gone on and on about crowds (me certainly included!), but the  Coyle season aside we’ve ended up with 11/13,000 home fans in the ground each week, this season will be no different.

Average side year in year out, no real sniff at promotion, tickets now costing £400- £450 in the main stand, so why on Earth would anything change? Just bizarre that Waggott is seemingly very disappointed that we haven’t suddenly added 1200 new ST holders.

The club could certainly do more, not having tickets on sale for Oxford was a great example of a missed opportunity, are lapsed fans chased enough?

But as always, get a decent side at the top end and we’ll see some improvement, promotion and the rest will follow.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Waggot asks where have they all gone? It seems a reasonable question to me. I could list 30-35 people who used to go in the 90s/00s. Slowly but surely they've dropped by the wayside for a wide range of reasons. They still consider themselves as Rovers but have other things to do.

The only way to significantly increase attendance is PL football. Using low attendances as yet another reason to kick the club achieves nothing and is possibly counterproductive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We've been here before...nothing nonsensical about it.

The indigenous Asian population of Blackburn have never backed the club in numbers and never will.

Mainly Liverpool and Manchester United shirts. Very very seldom you see any Rovers shirts in the town. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The club could certainly do more, not having tickets on sale for Oxford was a great example of a missed opportunity, are lapsed fans chased enough?

I don't know if they are but it's unlikely to be cost effective and is therefore not pursued.

Marketing phone calls? Pointless as many people don't answer unrecognised numbers or hang up when it's obvious the call is about marketing.

Mail shots? Every single piece of unsolicited mail delivered to our house gets a cursory look at the envelope before going straight in the recycling bin. Only those with an envelope which suggests it might be important get opened, 30 second glance and binned.

I actually don't buy from companies who use mailshots as I regard these as damaging to the environment.

Same applies to unsolicited email, I usually look for the unsubscribe button and then delete without reading.

Most people know where to buy products they want. There is little Rovers can do in this respect.

Edited by Paul

5 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Utter rubbish, Ive noticed a heck of a lot more Asians coming down to Ewood compared to 20 years ago say. A bit of a negative attitude from you, convinced you're a knob ender on the wind up. 

And from a different thread:

"Finney was better than Best"

Gotcha. 

Knob or on a wind up? 

No need for such aggression fella we are on a forum. Sir Tom was better than Best according to the vast majority of old lads and older family members who saw both of them play. 

It's not negativity it's just fact. Blackburn Burnley Oldham Bradford and other such towns have huge Asian populations and virtually nil support. 

Just now, Brigger68 said:

Mainly Liverpool and Manchester United shirts. Very very seldom you see any Rovers shirts in the town. 

Absolute garbage you see plenty but yes too many wear the tv clubs shirts but it's not unusual sadly, exactly the same in Bolton, Burnley, Wigan and more so Preston where you're much more likely to see a Knob shirt in Brig than Fishergate.

The changing demographics play their part obviously but as far as Preston are concerned iv'e never really known it any different, very small club in reality. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul said:

I don't know if they are but it's unlikely to be cost effective and is therefore not pursued.

Marketing phone calls? Pointless as many people don't answer unrecognised numbers or hang up when it's obvious the call is about marketing.

Mail shots? Every single piece of unsolicited mail delivered to our house gets a cursory look at the envelope before going straight in the recycling bin. Only those with an envelope which suggests it might be important get opened, 30 second glance and binned.

I actually don't buy from companies who use mailshots as I regard these as damaging to the environment.

Same applies to unsolicited email, I usually look for the unsubscribe button and then delete without reading.

Most people now where to buy products they want. There is little Rovers can do in this respect.

A lot of that is your personal view on marketing, fair enough, and you are a fan that commits regardless.

Lapsed fans surely cannot just be left as ‘former fans’. May as well delete the database, as fans will find their way to Ewood regardless.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul said:

Waggot asks where have they all gone? It seems a reasonable question to me. I could list 30-35 people who used to go in the 90s/00s. Slowly but surely they've dropped by the wayside for a wide range of reasons. They still consider themselves as Rovers but have other things to do.

The only way to significantly increase attendance is PL football. Using low attendances as yet another reason to kick the club achieves nothing and is possibly counterproductive.

Agree with this.

A lot of lads I know don't go anymore because of how flat the atmosphere became, and quite frankly they just found the matchday experience at Ewood dull. All still class themselves as fans and would turn out for a big game I.e Burnley.  Call them part timers or whatever, its just the way it is.

I had a season ticket 20+ years but gave it up when my daughter was born 5 years ago. Main reason was I'd rather spend precious time with her than attend Ewood through blind loyalty when inevitably it wasnt even that enjoyable. Mid week games are a no go for me now 9 times out of 10, I'm just way too busy at work and often travelling back from meetings so wouldn't be back in time.

Alas I'll still go to a fair chunk of weekend home games this season, starting today, and pretty much all weekend away games.

Everyones situation is different, price doesn't even come into it for me if I'm honest, I think our prices are more than reasonable. 

Personally think match day prices at £30+in the Jack Walker, £45 against Leeds and Sheff Wed are not reasonable for mid table second division football, but ‘value is in the eye of the beholder’ and all that.

Edited by Mattyblue

Personally think match day prices at £30+in the Jack Walker, £45 against Leeds and Sheff Wed are not reasonable for mid table second division football, but ‘value is in the eye of the beholder’ and all that.

I guess so, but I don't ever sit in the Jack Walker stand so to me personally that's irrelevant. 

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Just like Preston....very few Nod End shirts and loads of Liverpool and Utd.

Preston is slightly different in my opinion as the football club is situated right in the heart of the Asian community and interactions are definitely there. Deepdale is a very mixed community and unlike other northern towns Preston isn't splintered and despite a tragic case a few years ago between feuding gangs from Fishwick and Callon resulting in a poor lad losing his life relations are very good. You will see very very many Asian lads playing football on Moor Park in replica Preston gear. 

Roop Singh is one of their favourite fans and a Sikh. 

Just now, Ossydave said:

I guess so, but I don't ever sit in the Jack Walker stand so to me personally that's irrelevant. 

I suppose I pay £25-£30 regularly for away tickets. Just never have for Ewood, so it does make me blink when I see the prices, when there are 20,000 empty seats.

Just now, tomphil said:

very small club in reality. 

I agree totally. A small town club very much the same as Burnley Rovers Bolton Wigan and Blackpool. Size wise there is nothing between any of them. Only difference is the fact that Preston are the only one not to of sampled the apparent 'delights' of the Premier League. 

Preston is slightly different in my opinion as the football club is situated right in the heart of the Asian community and interactions are definitely there. Deepdale is a very mixed community and unlike other northern towns Preston isn't splintered and despite a tragic case a few years ago between feuding gangs from Fishwick and Callon resulting in a poor lad losing his life relations are very good. You will see very very many Asian lads playing football on Moor Park in replica Preston gear. 

Roop Singh is one of their favourite fans and a Sikh. 

Thought northern towns didn’t have Asian lads in the local shirt?

PNE shirts are well behind Liverpool shirts in your town for everybody, so don’t give me that.

I agree totally. A small town club very much the same as Burnley Rovers Bolton Wigan and Blackpool. Size wise there is nothing between any of them. Only difference is the fact that Preston are the only one not to of sampled the apparent 'delights' of the Premier League. 

Of that list, it goes (from biggest to smallest);

Rovers

Bolton, Burnley

Preston

Wigan

Blackpool

I completely agree. Ticket prices throughout the game are ridiculous and I wouldn't shell out £30-45 to watch Rovers on a regular basis. This is why we buy STs - this year I turned 65 and match day for me is £9.34 (JLW £215 ST). My son sits next to me for £15.17 with an ST at £349 according to the website - I can't recall what I exactly paid as it's two months since I renewed.

Cheap tickets are readily available to those who want or are able to commit to the club for a season. I understand why not everyone is in that position.

Thought northern towns didn’t have Asian lads in the local shirt?

PNE shirts are well behind Liverpool shirts in your town for everybody, so don’t give me that.

I didn't mention Preston in my initial thoughts. I just feel it is slightly different in the fact the club is situated in the Asian community. 

I suppose I pay £25-£30 regularly for away tickets. Just never have for Ewood, so it does make me blink when I see the prices, when there are 20,000 empty seats.

Yeah anything above the magic £30 mark for an away ticket I tend to think "how much?!?!"

One thing I have wondered about is offering different prices to different segments of our customers/fanbase.

For example in my field of work it's common to have a huge number of customers details which are classed as 'dormant'. This segment will get sent offers meaning they can in some cases get the same product for cheaper than a customer who is loyal and makes regular purchases. 

We clearly have details for a lot or dormant attendees so could in theory target them, or is this just going to completely piss off the loyal fanbase who attend regardless?

It's a tricky one it really is.

Edited by Ossydave

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Agree with this.

A lot of lads I know don't go anymore because of how flat the atmosphere became, and quite frankly they just found the matchday experience at Ewood dull. All still class themselves as fans and would turn out for a big game I.e Burnley.  Call them part timers or whatever, its just the way it is.

I had a season ticket 20+ years but gave it up when my daughter was born 5 years ago. Main reason was I'd rather spend precious time with her than attend Ewood through blind loyalty when inevitably it wasnt even that enjoyable. Mid week games are a no go for me now 9 times out of 10, I'm just way too busy at work and often travelling back from meetings so wouldn't be back in time.

Alas I'll still go to a fair chunk of weekend home games this season, starting today, and pretty much all weekend away games.

Everyones situation is different, price doesn't even come into it for me if I'm honest, I think our prices are more than reasonable. 

I'm not wishing to be personal with this response. You say your daughter is the main reason for not attending Ewood regularly. You also say you will attend "pretty much all weekend away games."

My experience is away matches take up far more "precious time" than the 3.5 hours I spend going to Ewood every other Saturday.

I'm not being critical but surely this is an example of a fan giving one reason for not attending when actually something else is the root cause? As I said I'm not criticising you but I think it demonstrates clearly the difficulty the club faces to understand and tackle the issue of ST sales.

Edited by Paul

And doesn't it just grate....

• Like 1

Just now, Paul said:

I'm not wishing to be personal with this rrslons. You say your daughter is the main reason for not attending Ewood regularly. You also say you will attend "pretty much all weekend away games."

My experience is away matches take up far more "precious time" than the 3.5 hours I spend going to Ewood every other Saturday.

I'm not being critical but surely this is an example of a fan giving one reason for not attending when actually something else is the root cause? As I said I'm not criticising you but I think it demonstrates clearly the difficulty the club faces to understand and tackle the issue of ST sales.

I meant the precious early days, she's 5 now and I'll spend time with her now this morning and when I get home later so I'm in a position to go to more games. Hoping she will actually want to come with me at some point.....Mum also had to work some weekends previously in her old job but doesn't now which helps.

• Like 2