BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

On paper, Mowbray was one of the daftest appointments of the lot, considering he left his previous club at the bottom of League One.

If the conspiracy theories regarding transfer policy being dictated by others are true, then he should resign.

I'm not convinced about that and think he has been relatively well backed.

I agree that another daft appointment is likely.

Damned either way, but there is always the slight hope they will get it right one day.

I believe there is more chance of Mowbray taking us back down at some point rather than up.

I look at Waggott and question what he actually brings to the table, especially when we hear about Venus being involved in transfer deals.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Wee Stevie is still available. I wouldn't put bringing him back past them.

"You know, Madame, we were 3rd when Steve resigned..."

Not even going to go further with that. The very thought makes me shudder.

Maybe they will get the full  band back together next year for a10th Anniversary reunion tour ? Keano, Spiv, Snake, Barry & Tache  - madame on Keano groupie duty and guest appearance from the global eleven all stars

Not sure who will be playing which instrument but can see lots of arguments over who plays the  fiddle :)

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 2

He was very fortunate to get the job imo, but even more fortunate to follow Coyle. His time here is up for me. Does make you wonder what the response would be if it was Coyle who was coming out with the ridiculous contradicting comments Mowbray has of late.

• Like 1

For now, that much is true. However, it's been 17 points from 18 games. If it goes on much longer, I'm not sure how much worse a replacement can be. It's already relegation form over almost half a season.

By the end of September, we'll either be in a relegation scrap or very happily surprised. 

Edited by RoverAbroad
  • Like 1

Just now, Ricky said:

There’s no point in sacking him as they’ve made it clear that they are incapable of employing a top manager. We’d end up with some no mark who’s been bouncing around the management scene. 

You're forgetting Damian Johnson? 

I don't know how he would go in the job but I think Venkys would go there first.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Reading Mowbray's he was brought in help us see out games and even play left back when needed. TBF i'd say he was more of a cautious winger, he's not going to go beyond the play too much and he'll keep shape defensively.

Played right wing though?

18 hours ago, Husky said:

Considering that one of Mowbray's things is to continually play players 'out of position' one of the worst things he's done is not play Bell as a left-winger (as that's pretty much the only place he's looked any good).

Can't cross to save his life.

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

You're forgetting Damian Johnson? 

I don't know how he would go in the job but I think Venkys would go there first.

It does make me laugh that everyone on here seems to think that Damien Johnson will be our saviour if Mowbray should ever depart.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

It does make me laugh that everyone on here seems to think that Damien Johnson will be our saviour if Mowbray should ever depart.

Well, I deliberately didn't endorse him, I simply pointed out that this could well be Venky's choice. 

I've no idea how he'd go but its been encouraging so far.....

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

Well, I deliberately didn't endorse him, I simply pointed out that this could well be Venky's choice. 

He’d have my endorsement.

Don’t care if that makes people laugh. Odd though that those people most likely to roll their eyes at Johnson probably thought Bowyer was a good ‘un despite being the same progression.

Teams that do well in this division have a solid centre back pairing and and attacking philosophy. Mowbray has attacking players and a defensive approach.

After nearly 5 windows, and excluding recent U23 potential graduates, our outfield squad is as follows:

Attackers - Graham, Brereton, Dack, Gallagher, Armstrong, Samuel,

Midfielders - Rothwell, Bennett, Mulgrew, Downing, Johnson, Smallwood, Evans, Davenport, Chapman, Travis*

Defenders - Nyambe, Bell, Williams, Hart, Lenihan*

Is it any wonder we have a problem? Which is why spending £5m on Gallagher while looking at that squad was a ridiculous move. Presumably he was a good laugh and got on with The Group.

And people still talk about “one game”!

(*converted successfully)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 47er said:

Paul Ince was encouraging following his time at Macclesfied & MK Dons.

I don't see a couple of good seasons at under 23 level being a catalyst to take this job over on a permanent basis, for me is Mowbray was to ever depart we would need somebody with some experience and guile to get the best out of our young squad, but you are correct in saying that he probably would be Venkys preferred option.

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Chicken and the egg with Johnson. Do we have good kids becasue he was a good coach, or did he do well as coach becasue we have good kids?

Probably somewhere in the middle. We do have some great kids coming through so he should definitely be taking some of the credit for that.  

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Teams that do well in this division have a solid centre back pairing and and attacking philosophy. Mowbray has attacking players and a defensive approach.

I wish he’d have a more pragmatic and defensive approach. We’ve never been “organised” under TM in that way from where I sit.

In my book, If he did have an approach like this, his fullbacks and wide players would be sat on posts for corners, not on the half way line to counter.

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

After nearly 5 windows, and excluding recent U23 potential graduates, our outfield squad is as follows:

Attackers - Graham, Brereton, Dack, Gallagher, Armstrong, Samuel,

Midfielders - Rothwell, Bennett, Mulgrew, Downing, Johnson, Smallwood, Evans, Davenport, Chapman, Travis*

Defenders - Nyambe, Bell, Williams, Hart, Lenihan*

Is it any wonder we have a problem? Which is why spending £5m on Gallagher while looking at that squad was a ridiculous move. Presumably he was a good laugh and got on with The Group.

When you exclude the graduates - it’s easy to point out the lack of investment in key areas.

Thats because our team is mostly academy grads! A regular supporter of the U23s like yourself would’ve been seething had older expensive championship ready players come in, and forced the Lenihan’s, Travis’s or Nyambe’s to up sticks and move on.

Equally - are those three ready to take up positions in a first XI intent on going up?

One game is relevant too - when the question is asked again after one game.

I think he's taken us as far as he can. The best we can hope for in the future as far as I can see is hanging around in the bottom half of this division. Even when we were winning most games on our way to promotion we didn't look 1) A well coached and organised side. 2) A well motivated side,

The downside of firing him is who the Chicken Chokers would turn to as a replacement. I like Johnno and he's done wonders with the young players but how would he fare having to deal with the Venkies Flying Circus ! We'd probably get somebody like Keith Hill who I also rated as a coach but who stayed at Rochdale too long.

I must admit if we were a normal club with a fully functioning Board of Directors I'd fire him today - but we aren't.

• Like 4

Personally I think he will go at the end of the season if we don't finish in the top half, be it him getting sacked or him walking.

My concern though, after seeing Saturday and seeing him make the same mistakes that completely derailed our season last season, is that we might be at the very bottom end of the bottom half. Relegation could be a real possibility this season.

The sheer amount of fans who saw the team he selected on Saturday and just knew it wasn't going to go well must surely speak for itself and suggest the man is on a downward trajectory.

I've been a fan of his as a person throughout and he's done a lot of good for the club, but purely as a manager and a tactician he has always left a lot to be desired. I even remember back in League One when he was insistent on us changing our style of play to combat the other teams when surely it should have been us imposing ourselves on the opposition. 

Too negative. Too loyal to players who "aren't up to it" (his own words). Time to go before we get ourselves in real trouble.

• Like 2

Just now, Theaxe15 said:

Personally I think he will go at the end of the season if we don't finish in the top half, be it him getting sacked or him walking.

My concern though, after seeing Saturday and seeing him make the same mistakes that completely derailed our season last season, is that we might be at the very bottom end of the bottom half. Relegation could be a real possibility this season.

The sheer amount of fans who saw the team he selected on Saturday and just knew it wasn't going to go well must surely speak for itself and suggest the man is on a downward trajectory.

I've been a fan of his as a person throughout and he's done a lot of good for the club, but purely as a manager and a tactician he has always left a lot to be desired. I even remember back in League One when he was insistent on us changing our style of play to combat the other teams when surely it should have been us imposing ourselves on the opposition. 

Too negative. Too loyal to players who "aren't up to it" (his own words). Time to go before we get ourselves in real trouble.

Yeah I agree with that. The older you get the more cautious you get. I'm speaking from personal experience here. In lower league football terms Mowbray is an old man.

• Like 1

I like Tony Mowbray, and think he's done a good job at Rovers.

Whilst I wouldn't advocate any movement on his future at this moment, I can't help but feel that he's already written the first line of his Rovers managerial obituary.

"Defenders are coming....."

It feels as though that clip will come back to haunt him in a big way!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

I wish he’d have a more pragmatic and defensive approach. We’ve never been “organised” under TM in that way from where I sit.

In my book, If he did have an approach like this, his fullbacks and wide players would be sat on posts for corners, not on the half way line to counter.

When you exclude the graduates - it’s easy to point out the lack of investment in key areas.

Thats because our team is mostly academy grads! A regular supporter of the U23s like yourself would’ve been seething had older expensive championship ready players come in, and forced the Lenihan’s, Travis’s or Nyambe’s to up sticks and move on.

Equally - are those three ready to take up positions in a first XI intent on going up? 

One game is relevant too - when the question is asked again after one game.

You seem to be on a crusade to protect TM. I don't know why a failing manager should be immune to criticism. No other manager is, nor anyone, anywhere in a position of responsibility, as far as I'm aware.

Further you persist in reminding us it's been "only one game" as if we didn't know that and hadn't factored it into our responses. That aspect has been gone into ad nauseum yet you repeat it just about every post.

I won't be responding to any more of your posts.

Got to agree with Stuart that you are trying to wind us up

• Like 1

Too early for Mowbray out calls IMO. Give it 10 games then see where we are. If there are no positive signs at that stage, then I agree he's got to go.

A couple of things are really annoying me though. Our pre season didn't include any real tests. We should've been fit and firing for Charlton and instead we just seemed woefully underprepared. Defence wise, I won't even go there. We all know what Mowbray said about last season and we all know what we saw last season. That needed to be addressed and it hasn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

I like Tony Mowbray, and think he's done a good job at Rovers.

Whilst I wouldn't advocate any movement on his future at this moment, I can't help but feel that he's already written the first line of his Rovers managerial obituary.

"Defenders are coming....."

It feels as though that clip will come back to haunt him in a big way!

Defenders are coming, has a bit of a Stark feeling about it, and more Ned than Tony. 

Tony will be reliant on the work Damien Johnson has done with our young players to save his job.

I can see Damien Johnson doing a good job for us as manager in the future. For now Tony needs to make some ruthless choices. Mulgrew, Bell, need to be dropped from the squad completely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Defenders are coming, has a bit of a Stark feeling about it, and more Ned than Tony. 

Tony will be reliant on the work Damien Johnson has done with our young players to save his job.

I can see Damien Johnson doing a good job for us as manager in the future. For now Tony needs to make some ruthless choices. Mulgrew, Bell, need to be dropped from the squad completely. 

?

Just looked on twitter and people don't seem to be happy with the manager's lack of urgency to sort out our defence. Tweets from folk average folk implying that failure to sort it out would be mean things turning sour really fast. I can see the fans really tuning on him if he further neglects our defensive issues.