BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

24 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

I’d rather stick with Tony Mowbray than risk another round of the Venkys and their silent partners manager lottery thanks very much. 

Until they’re gone I’m afraid we’ve had it. 

Does it really matter? Mowbray's press conferences recently have been on the verge of Kean/Coyle.

Combine that with the way the team are performing and at the moment there's not much difference between Mowbray and a Venky's special one.

The real problem with Mowbray is he's had money to spend but spent it like a man who has missed his tablets.

• Like 3

£12 million on two raw lads is enormous money for this club. It doesn’t work out for Mowbray and those two decisions could seriously restrict his successor and our future progress.

In these times of FFP, a Director of Football has to be looked at going forward.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

£12 million on two raw lads is enormous money for this club. It doesn’t work out for Mowbray and those two decisions could seriously restrict his successor and our future progress.

In these times of FFP, a Director of Football has to be looked at going forward.

We'd probably end up with the return of Shebby Singh. 

No budget? We’ve spent £12 million on two young strikers, we’ve a Category A Academy.

Of course the club is big enough and it’s the way the Championship is going. Forest, Brentford, West Brom, QPR, Huddersfield, Stoke, Reading, Wigan have them at least from a quick google search.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Who is Chris Houghton?

To be fair. I had this earlier. If you type out Chris Hughton on a mobile. Auto-correct rather bizarrely adds a 'o'.

Question for all on here.
Do people believe that the formation changes over the last few seasons have worked?

When Mowbray came in, he kept our basic shape and gave the team better direction.
Now he is changing the shape. tactics and method of the team for a second time in two season's and like last season it didn't work.

Mowbray's attempt to change the player positions for me has been bizarre and bordering on a bonkers waste of talent.

Personally think we should go back to a 442/4411 formation and play players in the roles they are accustomed to.

This is what I would do if the Rovers manager at present:

Goalkeepers:

Christian Walton

Jayson Leutwiler

Andy Fisher

Jordan Archer (bring in on a contract until the end of the season)

Right back:

Ryan Nyambe

Danny Simpson (bring in on a contract until the end of the season)

Left back:

Greg Cunningham (start ahead of Bell)

Amari'i Bell

Sam Hart

Centre back:

Derrick Williams

Tosin Adarabioyo

Darragh Lenihan

Ashley Williams (bring in on a contract until the end of the season)

Joe Grayson

Matthew Platt

Right midfield:

Harry Chapman

Elliott Bennett

Left midfield:

Stuart Downing

Lazar Marković (bring in on a contract until the end of the season)

Central attacking midfielder:

Joe Rothwell

Bradley Dack

Central defensive midfielder/central defender:

Bradley Johnson

Richie Smallwood

Jacob Davenport

Lewis Travis

Corry Evans

Joe Rankin-Costello

John Buckley

Forwards (who should ONLY be played as FORWARDS):

Adam Armstrong

Sam Gallagher

Danny Graham

Dominic Samuel

Ben Brereton

Those players signed on contracts until the end of the season can do so with the understanding that if they perform they will get new lengthy contracts.

When January comes around we can look to move out Jayson Leutwiler, Sam Hart, Matthew Platt, Richie Smallwood and Dominic Samuel on loan.

Edited by RovingRover
Tweaks.
  • Like 1

If not a change of manager then something needs to change with the coaching staff. What we are doing isn’t working. If Mowbray won’t go then he can’t keep on with the same failing formula. Would he upgrade on Lowe for instance?

Throughout Mowbray’s time here he has steadfastly refused to bring in anyone to immediately replace the person not performing, preferring loyalty and an organic growth. This is all well and good but it is a slow process and we sacrifice games/points in the process. It also disillusions the new recruit while having limited results on incentivising limited players. If you have a 7/10 player in 4/10 form, you don’t bring in an 8/10 player to intimidate them from the bench in order to light a fire under them and get them back to a 7. If Bell has performed poorly then he should have been replaced and told that he needs to up his game if he wants his place back, not given another couple of league games to have a go at.

On the strength of what we’ve seen it appears that he didn’t trust Tosin. Didn’t trust Cunningham. Didn’t trust Rothwell or Reed. Didn't trust Travis or Brereton. He sticks with the old guard until they are exhausted and/or the fanbase turns on them. And even then he sticks with them longer than he should. Meanwhile he procrastinates over new players. He wants them to earn their place - very noble. Cunningham for whatever reason is happy to be understudy to the inferior Bell, while it seems Bauer didn’t want to be down the pecking order with the likes of Williams, instead preferring to be trusted/respected as first choice elsewhere.

I wonder if our next league game will see Lenihan and Williams or Lenihan and Tosin...?

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

If not a change of manager then something needs to change with the coaching staff. What we are doing isn’t working. If Mowbray won’t go then he can’t keep on with the same failing formula. Would he upgrade on Lowe for instance?

Throughout Mowbray’s time here he has steadfastly refused to bring in anyone to immediately replace the person not performing, preferring loyalty and an organic growth. This is all well and good but it is a slow process and we sacrifice games/points in the process. It also disillusions the new recruit while having limited results on incentivising limited players. If you have a 7/10 player in 4/10 form, you don’t bring in an 8/10 player to intimidate them from the bench in order to light a fire under them and get them back to a 7. If Bell has performed poorly then he should have been replaced and told that he needs to up his game if he wants his place back, not given another couple of league games to have a go at.

On the strength of what we’ve seen it appears that he didn’t trust Tosin. Didn’t trust Cunningham. Didn’t trust Rothwell or Reed. Didn't trust Travis or Brereton. He sticks with the old guard until they are exhausted and/or the fanbase turns on them. And even then he sticks with them longer than he should. Meanwhile he procrastinates over new players. He wants them to earn their place - very noble. Cunningham for whatever reason is happy to be understudy to the inferior Bell, while it seems Bauer didn’t want to be down the pecking order with the likes of Williams, instead preferring to be trusted/respected as first choice elsewhere.

I wonder if our next league game will see Lenihan and Williams or Lenihan and Tosin...?

Tosin will probably get dropped.

Doesn't trust Reed ?? 

He is the one player we really  are missing !!

By Christmas , we can probably add Raya to that list , that's because we didn't sign the goalkeeper we were expecting to sign ....

I have no idea who it was but it wasn't Walton !!

Edited by Waggy76
  • Like 3

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Doesn't trust Reed ?? 

He is the one player we really  are missing !!

By Christmas , we can probably add Raya to that  that's because we didn't sign the goalkeeper we were expecting to sign ....

I have no idea who it was but it wasn't Walton !!

Reed was shunted our wide when he was included in the side. Evans and Smallwood were preferred for a long time.

Meanwhile @Tormund is probably right. Adarabioyo is 21 so only a young kid in Mowbray’s eyes. Much better to have the older heads.

Just now, Stuart said:

Reed was shunted our wide when he was included in the side. Evans and Smallwood were preferred for a long time.

Meanwhile @Tormund is probably right. Adarabioyo is 21 so only a young kid in Mowbray’s eyes. Much better to have the older heads.

I know but he should not have been .... No

I find that wanting Mowbray out is ridiculous. He got us out League 1 (look at Sunderland) and we had a good run last season until we fell away.

More importantly, he has settled Venkys. Don’t underestimate this. 

Those saying sign Austin over Gallagher don’t understand our model. We spend 5million on assumption we will make money on him one day, we won’t be spending that on the likes of Austin.

Better the devil you know on this one.

• Like 5

it feels to me like the club is on a downward spiral once again and needs an immediate upturn in fortunes on the pitch to avoid being sucked into the vortex.

We've looked lacking in confidence for months and the summer has done nothing to improve that situation. Mowbray seems stressed and frustrated.

It looks like the summer budget was gambled on Gallagher and he needs to come good. But does that mean Mowbray is admitting his previous gamble (BB) has failed?

The Mulgrew saga just adds confusion and possibly indicates unrest in the camp. Failure to secure the original GK target is another failing.

On paper, the squad is good enough to survive but the general vibes are not good. I think it will be really difficult to regain any momentum or feel-good factor without a change of mananger. I don't dislike Mowbray but can he take us to the premier league - I really don't think so. If John Williams was still here I think he would be considering his options over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Feels like we are set up for a season of hot and cold. I think long term we'll win a few and lose a few....basically a bit like the season with Bowyer and then Lambert. Yesterday was encouraging and if it hasn't been for the dire result against Charlton there would be a lot less frustration at losing to a team that spent 100 million last summer, has the best striker in the league in Mitrovic and probably the best playmaker in Cairney.

The issue is the Charlton game, we sleep walked into that game and they did a job on us. This is always my concern with TM in that we struggle to be up for the games against the sides that don't have much quality but lots of graft.

We should be looking at 4 points from the next 2 games, anything less I'd be disappointed with...and then in September we have 4 very winnable games through to October...we need to be looking at 9 or 10 points from those 4 games or I'd be looking at pulling the trigger. Maybe I'm being a bit brutal there but then if you start regressing with the manager you've had for 2 and a half seasons already then you don't stick with them if you want to kick on.

Edited by sharpysharps86