BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, arbitro said:

The most annoying trait of Mowbray is one he does publicly and is quite degrading. He did it several times last night but on really stood out and my opinion of him dropped lower. In the first half Nyambe knocked an easy pass inside when he should clearly have gone forward. Mowbray, on the edge of his technical area stood for a few seconds with his hands on his shaking head. He then turned and walked back to the dug out still shaking his head with his hands in the same position. I just can't see how that helps a young player who doesn't seem to have great self belief. And the fact that Nyambe is still doing things like that after Mowbray has been coaching him for over two years says more about Mowbray than Nyambe in my book.

I saw Mowbray do this several times last night with Grayson too but not Brereton.

There's nothing worse than seeing your own manager wandering around his technical area with his head in his hands. If I was a player and saw my manager doing that I'd be fuming. A common Mowbray act to try to absolve himself of responsibility as the players aren't delivering what he expects. 

• Like 6

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder did Mowbray rip Mulgrew and Lenihan out of it after the Charlton game? Hence why Mulgrew is gone and Lenihan is MIA with an extremely vague and last minute injury

I like DL but I think this break will do him good. We can't be shipping two goals a game every week and the blame can't solely lie with CM. Wouldn't shock me if your DL prediction is correct.

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Indeed. Nyambe and Raya were the only ones at the back last season to get any public criticism, none of the ‘men’ who surely should be taking the flak were in the firing line.

Bell and Brereton have been largely woeful since they joined, but as they aren’t academy grads, but his purchases he avoids any public flogging of them  - obviously doesn’t want his judgement called into question.

The only signing he does go after in public is Rothwell.

Rothwell has skill and flair and those attributes often come with an attitude, which I favour.

Mowbray is, despite his skillfully worked on facade, weak and a bully so the Rothwells of the world will provoke him. He prefers lapdogs like his new Captain.

He will never call out those who toe the line and Bell and Brereton fall into that group.

His treatment of Nyambe is shameful. The lad comes back from a decent ACN and Mowbray sets out to mess his head. Why would he do that?

I hope the truth of Mulgrews departure comes out, I favour @glen9mullan recent post on the matter as being the most accurate I have seen.

He is not going anywhere and I just wish he would feck off.

This is not a recent decision of mine, I have never rated him or trusted his open and honest crap.

Paul Senior got him the gig and then disappeared straight after relegation whilst Mowbray took over full control including transfers. Why would our DoF do that?

Et tu, Brute

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The most annoying trait of Mowbray is one he does publicly and is quite degrading. He did it several times last night but on really stood out and my opinion of him dropped lower. In the first half Nyambe knocked an easy pass inside when he should clearly have gone forward. Mowbray, on the edge of his technical area stood for a few seconds with his hands on his shaking head. He then turned and walked back to the dug out still shaking his head with his hands in the same position. I just can't see how that helps a young player who doesn't seem to have great self belief. And the fact that Nyambe is still doing things like that after Mowbray has been coaching him for over two years says more about Mowbray than Nyambe in my book.

I saw Mowbray do this several times last night with Grayson too but not Brereton.

And not to forget the needless comments regarding Magloire, which seem to have been forgotten after the flurry of activity with the Mulgrew and Cunningham deals later in the day. 

Mowbray’s handling of the youth players has been poor - openly criticise them in public - but generally protect the senior players in public. Neither policy has worked.

This tendency always struck me as being the actions of a manager who was too scared of losing the dressing room. Like he was desperate to keep the senior players on board. However, it is beginning to look like he is managing to lose the dressing room anyway now. 

I recently came across this quote from Scott Brown, former Celtic and Scotland captain “But listen, I had Tony Mowbray as a manager - that was a crisis”. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/in-full/scott-brown-tony-mowbray-now-that-was-a-crisis-1-3888920

Seemingly Mowbray has previously managed to make other debacles out of choosing the captaincy at his clubs. 

If it’s true that he’s losing the dressing room - combined with big money signings that are not firing and players routinely being played out of position - the writing is on the wall. I am no expert on football but we all know what the end of a managerial reign looks like.

• Like 6

Just now, RoverInverness said:

And not to forget the needless comments regarding Magloire, which seem to have been forgotten after the flurry of activity with the Mulgrew and Cunningham deals later in the day. 

Mowbray’s handling of the youth players has been poor - openly criticise them in public - but generally protect the senior players in public. Neither policy has worked.

This tendency always struck me as being the actions of a manager who was too scared of losing the dressing room. Like he was desperate to keep the senior players on board. However, it is beginning to look like he is managing to lose the dressing room anyway now. 

I recently came across this quote from Scott Brown, former Celtic and Scotland captain “But listen, I had Tony Mowbray as a manager - that was a crisis”. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/in-full/scott-brown-tony-mowbray-now-that-was-a-crisis-1-3888920

Seemingly Mowbray has previously managed to make other debacles out of choosing the captaincy at his clubs. 

If it’s true that he’s losing the dressing room - combined with big money signings that are not firing and players routinely being played out of position - the writing is on the wall. I am no expert on football but we all know what the end of a managerial reign looks like.

Good post and I had not seen Browns comments before.

"But listen, I had Tony Mowbray as a manager – that was a crisis. We’re playing well now but back then we weren’t playing any football whatsoever and the crowds were down to 15,000-20,000."

Deja Vue

• Like 2

• Backroom

I’ve written Mowbray off before and immediately looked daft on the back of it.

However something seems amiss at the moment, feels there’s a bit of a rot set in, the window clearly didn’t go as planned and you could see the crowd turning if we have a bad run.

Against Charlton around me there was a lot of comments about him losing the plot with his subs etc 

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

I’ve written Mowbray off before and immediately looked daft on the back of it.

However something seems amiss at the moment, feels there’s a bit of a rot set in, the window clearly didn’t go as planned and you could see the crowd turning if we have a bad run.

Against Charlton around me there was a lot of comments about him losing the plot with his subs etc 

I think Saturday is huge now and expect the crowd to turn on him if we lose and the recent traits continue. 

I am firmly in the Mowbray out camp again. It's just so disjointed, slap-dash and clueless. The obvious is rarely done and three games in, It's getting on my tits.  We need someone who can build from the back, we concede two or more WAY too often and it isn't good enough. Make-shift players in unfavoured positions should only happen during an injury crisis, never as first choice - It's ridiculous.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Rothwell has skill and flair and those attributes often come with an attitude, which I favour.

Mowbray is, despite his skillfully worked on facade, weak and a bully so the Rothwells of the world will provoke him. He prefers lapdogs like his new Captain.

He will never call out those who toe the line and Bell and Brereton fall into that group.

His treatment of Nyambe is shameful. The lad comes back from a decent ACN and Mowbray sets out to mess his head. Why would he do that?

I hope the truth of Mulgrews departure comes out, I favour @glen9mullan recent post on the matter as being the most accurate I have seen.

He is not going anywhere and I just wish he would feck off.

This is not a recent decision of mine, I have never rated him or trusted his open and honest crap.

Paul Senior got him the gig and then disappeared straight after relegation whilst Mowbray took over full control including transfers. Why would our DoF do that?

Et tu, Brute

What was that now?

19 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Not all players and clearly some players are more suited to some positions than others. Granted changing positions happens and works - Henry to striker and Emerton to RB are 2 which jump out to my mind, but many don't work as players aren't suited to these new positions. 

For example Bereton is struggling out wide, which isn't really fair to him. Bennett is struggling at RB and I suggest the same - it's not fair on the player. You would rightly recoil in horror if I said we should play Smallwood up front or Graham as a winger and rightly so. So just because some players can shift positions it's very clear that many can't or shouldn't and it can be bad management  I'd put Bennett in that category. 

Well last night taught me my hypothetical horror examples of players out of position weren't daft enough. Really shows how much TM is losing the plot. 

1 hour ago, RoverInverness said:

I am no expert on football but we all know what the end of a managerial reign looks like.

Agree. The start of this season does have a Souness 04/05 (03/04 for a lot of it too) and Bowyer 15/16 sort of feel to it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What do you mean? 

Found Glen's quotes:

Mulgrew apparently had major bust up with Mowbray this morning, a lot of unrest due to interview were the defence was slagged off (defence has been poor).

Then TM basically told club to get him out. Unhappy camp , not a good sign with a number of players questioning interview, and TM

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Found Glen's quotes:

Mulgrew apparently had major bust up with Mowbray this morning, a lot of unrest due to interview were the defence was slagged off (defence has been poor).

Then TM basically told club to get him out. Unhappy camp , not a good sign with a number of players questioning interview, and TM

Thanks. The search function on the site scares me. I can't use it at all ?

In fairness to Mowbray, he had held off a long time from rightly criticizing the likes of Mulgrew and Lenihan even. It was long over due. His comments in interviews were very general I thought, he didn't really focus on anyone in particular. Not like he did with Raya. If Mulgrew and Lenihan can't take that, well I think they need to man up. I am only speculating on Lenihan in fairness. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3