BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

37 minutes ago, 47er said:

It looks as if you are trying to say that I thought we had a very difficult start to the season and now we've won 2 in a row I'm back-tracking and saying it was an easy start?

Please show me where I've written anything like that!

Silas above has it right, don't get carried away just yet!

As Tony might say.."Fck off, 47er!"...hahaha

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Hasn't changed for me. Still a really hard start.

And lose to Cardiff and West Brom and it's 6 pts from 6 games.  That's relegation form.

Obviously,  win those 2 and it's promotion from. 

So, I'm chuffed to bits with the last few results. But,  we've still a lot to prove. 

Here's hoping the lads and TM do prove some of us wrong. 

Is it? I swear Norwich were towards the bottom end of the table this time last year.

Far too early for those kind of calls

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is it? I swear Norwich were towards the bottom end of the table this time last year.

Far too early for those kind of calls

Obviously fixture lists distort things etc, but yes, 1 point per game is relegation standard no?

Or it certainly puts you in that area of the table and under threat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gumboots said:

Beating the weaker teams helps with confidence which boosts fitness ie players work harder in training and matches if they're buzzing, concentration levels - players are more likely to stay focused throughout the match if they think that doing so gets results - and so on. A win is not just a win but a stepping stone to the next one 

Like the pre-season!!!  :)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Silas said:

Obviously fixture lists distort things etc, but yes, 1 point per game is relegation standard no?

Or it certainly puts you in that area of the table and under threat.

I'd disagree after 6 games.

Around about October time you get a better picture as of the layout of the league, with a few exceptions where bad/good form strikes or managerial changes (Villa, Brentford)

If we lose to Cardiff and Baggies I certainly wouldn't be considering us relegation candidates. 

It’s interesting how a win has swayed perceptions on the “F off Derrick” comment by TM, with the majority finding it amusing and endearing. If we had lost the game, I suspect the overwhelming reaction would have been “he’s lost the players”, “how can the players respect a manager who tells them to F off”, and “another example why Mowbray should be fired”. 

A win really does make such a difference. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
44 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'd disagree after 6 games.

Around about October time you get a better picture as of the layout of the league, with a few exceptions where bad/good form strikes or managerial changes (Villa, Brentford)

If we lose to Cardiff and Baggies I certainly wouldn't be considering us relegation candidates. 

To be fair to you, I've had a look at the stats and it's not as bad as I thought. Think I'm maybe going off the Prem stats of 1pt per game. God knows why as it's an eternity since we were there.

In the last 3 Champ seasons 6pts after 6 games would have us 17th, 18th, and 16th.

So, yeah, I suppose that's not panic stations in terms of relegation.

But it would also mean we were 2 pts, 2 pts, and 3 pts off the relegation spots.

I certainly wouldn't be happy being potentially one loss off being in the bottom 3.

But, I guess it could be argued with the fixture list at the start of our campaign, that would be a false position. 

10 minutes ago, Silas said:

To be fair to you, I've had a look at the stats and it's not as bad as I thought. Think I'm maybe going off the Prem stats of 1pt per game. God knows why as it's an eternity since we were there.

In the last 3 Champ seasons 6pts after 6 games would have us 17th, 18th, and 16th.

So, yeah, I suppose that's not panic stations in terms of relegation.

But it would also mean we were 2 pts, 2 pts, and 3 pts off the relegation spots.

I certainly wouldn't be happy being potentially one loss off being in the bottom 3.

But, I guess it could be argued with the fixture list at the start of our campaign, that would be a false position. 

I think the point is, its too small a sample size to be extrapolating it over a full 46 game season.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

We can all play that game. What if Dack gets injured and then Rothwell? I don’t think Evans is a bad back up to have in midfield. I’m not sure who you expect we should have as our third/fourth choice centre mids. 

Likewise the defence. Not sure we can expect to have 4 first choice centre backs. It’d be a nice problem to have obviously but Tosin looks like a decent alternative from what I saw at Fulham.

Let’s not pretend that we have more options in midfield/defence than we do in attack. Evans has proven in his 5/6 years here that he’s an absolute waste of space, and only string a few decent performances together when he’s looking to get a new contract. It’s normal practice to have 4 competent centre halves, we have 3 as things stand.

Even the championship winning teams will have poor spells, and we’ve seen many fast starts fall away.

I think it’s better to just look at us.

One tiny example, the hull away game last season was an identical result, at the same time of year - but a complete different win with different elements.

As the man said himself, there is still a way to go to be a team good enough to boss games out, and I just feel I already knew, he knew this.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Physio merchant and kid? It’s Evans or Smallwood, don’t kid yourself.

The Evans/Smallwood Mowbray-beating stick is so first half of last season. 

After Sheff Utd away, Travis played more games than both combined.

Smallwood hasn’t made a league squad this season, Evans has just collected splinters, Buckley has been called on every time.

And what happened to “if they are good enough, they are old enough”

He’s replaced them with better players.

• Like 4

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Smallwood hasn’t made a league squad this season, Evans has just collected splinters, Buckley has been called on every time.

Yes it does seem the days of Smallwood and Evans are officially over. They are really pushing Buckley to progress this season - he is now ahead of both of them it would seem right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Buckley doesn’t play in central midfield if Johnson or Trav get injured, it’s Evans or Smallwood every day of the week.

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

while extending their contracts....

Just now, 47er said:

while extending their contracts....

Good of you to worry about Venky’s money for them! 

He’s generous with contracts in general, maybe scarred by having hardly any contracted players when he started his last two jobs,

Fans are fickle: from singing King of Ewood to make him unemployed inside a year when he’s exactly the same player.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He’s generous with contracts in general, maybe scarred by having hardly any contracted players when he started his last two jobs,

Fans are fickle: from singing King of Ewood to make him unemployed inside a year when he’s exactly the same player.

That song just fit his name, even in League 1 it was known he was limited but did a job at that level.

Not good enough for the second tier, there’s no ill will towards him, just the realities of football and he should have been released in the summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Good of you to be so patronising. 

Other than that I don't remember ever having mentioned Smallwood but, since you have, it seems pertinent to point out that he was King of Ewood in League 1 and clearly doesn't cut in in a higher division. Good of you to put his welfare first though.

Also worth pointing out that the more of Venkys money that is wasted  the less there is for the team that walks out on the pitch. That's my concern, I couldn't give a stuff about Venkys as well you know.

Edited by 47er

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Because he was good in league one and less effective in a higher league.

It's not that complicated, to be fair.