BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Neal said:

Just looked on twitter and people don't seem to be happy with the manager's lack of urgency to sort out our defence. Tweets from folk average folk implying that failure to sort it out would be mean things turning sour really fast. I can see the fans really tuning on him if he further neglects our defensive issues. 

Think this is the first time fans from both sides of the coin are on his back. You cant go making such passionate statements like he did about defenders are coming, our defence is not good enough and then completely backtracking almost. 

There is a different feel to it than before you see people who would jump on one negative vibe on social media saying why the hell hasn't this manager significantly strengthened the defence.

Are his hands tied from elsewhere on some of them ?  

Not sure but Bennett himself said the manager asked him to play right back so basically it's on Tony's head this one his naivety is startling to be honest but i think he'll keep plugging away with the same lot ready to say i told you so when we win a couple.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

What's worse? Not noticing the need to sign defenders or noticing it and not rectifying the issue anyway? ?

Many of us have been saying it for two years and now four windows that our defense needs an overhaul. Our defense is primarily the one that got relegated from this league the last time around. January last season was obviously pivotal too as he opted once again against doing anything and actually made it weaker by letting Downing go on loan. Here we are six months later and still no change apart from a single loanee.

• Like 2

Fans made similar calls the season we were relegated i'm 100% certain that a one or two decent defensive recruits would've given us an extra point or two to stay up. Problem there was Coyle and the dollopers he wanted to bring in via his mates so Senior was probably right to block that although he should've dug something up himself.

Similar calls midway last season but nothing except sending the capable back up out on loan then very quickly followed by a relegation run of form.

I still think even with this lot we've enough to finish similar to last season but surely we want an improvement on that for gods sake.

Just now, Rogerb said:

Put a peach of a daisycutter cross through the six yard box in the second half of the Charlton match trouble was no one gambled on getting on the end of it.

He did! He had a bit of a purple patch there----did 2 or 3 things right in a couple of minutes!

An Indian summer though!!

• Like 1

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

Perhaps Mowbray the tactical genius deliberately sent out last season's 'not fit for purpose' defence with an instruction to perform hopelessly, in order to tease out an emergency injection of cash from Venky's.

Say, £9m?

Best conspiracy yet ... ?

• Like 2

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

Perhaps Mowbray the tactical genius deliberately sent out last season's 'not fit for purpose' defence with an instruction to perform hopelessly, in order to tease out an emergency injection of cash from Venky's.

Say, £9m?

I wouldn't say he had to give them much instruction...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Even the LT below the liners are on the turn...

I posted similar in the transfer thread earlier. Even the Chaddy’s of the world seem really peeved at the now infamous ‘defenders are coming line’. Funny how it’s only since Charlton bagged a couple against us though. To think some folk in the summer were peddling the ‘we’ll be fine with a new keeper and Johnson operating in front of the back 4’ line.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Say, £9m?

That could be his highlight of the season right there.

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I posted similar in the transfer thread earlier. Even the Chaddy’s of the world seem really peeved at the now infamous ‘defenders are coming line’. Funny how it’s only since Charlton bagged a couple against us though. To think some folk in the summer were peddling the ‘we’ll be fine with a new keeper and Johnson operating in front of the back 4’ line.

Indeed. I was deemed a football ignoramous because I didn’t appreciate the ‘game management’ of our new midfielders.

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

With a back line without Bennet , Mulgrew and Bell  we may well have been

36 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That would involve a few new defensive signings...at least two! Something we seem incapable of doing.

No it wouldn’t 

Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Downing

Edited by rigger

• Backroom
Just now, rigger said:

Nyambe Tosin Downing

Eh? Nyambe was already here so he's not a new signing. Downing was played as a winger so until Mowbray plays him in defence we can't call him a defensive signing.

Tosin is our only proper defensive signing to date.

Just now, DE. said:

Eh? Nyambe was already here so he's not a new signing. Downing was played as a winger so until Mowbray plays him in defence we can't call him a defensive signing.

Tosin is our only proper defensive signing to date.

What I was trying to say was we do have replacements for the three duffers. They just need to be played 

• Backroom
Just now, rigger said:

What I was trying to say was we do have replacements for the three duffers. They just need to be played 

Yeah, but the person you quoted specifically said new signings. 

The problem with seeing Downing as a defensive replacement is that he really has no history of being a defender. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stewart-downing/leistungsdaten/spieler/4063/saison/2018/plus/1#GB2

Going by this he either played as LM, RM or AMC last season for Boro, there's nothing about him playing in defence. Are we really going to try and convert him at 35 years old? Absolute madness if so. 

Just now, DE. said:

The problem with seeing Downing as a defensive replacement is that he really has no history of being a defender. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stewart-downing/leistungsdaten/spieler/4063/saison/2018/plus/1#GB2

Going by this he either played as LM, RM or AMC last season for Boro, there's nothing about him playing in defence. Are we really going to try and convert him at 35 years old? Absolute madness if so. 

He looked OK against Rangers

Just now, DE. said:

No the person I quoted said that we needed new signings to replace the three duffers. I was showing that although not the best, we do have replacements already 

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

He’d have my endorsement.

Don’t care if that makes people laugh. Odd though that those people most likely to roll their eyes at Johnson probably thought Bowyer was a good ‘un despite being the same progression.

Teams that do well in this division have a solid centre back pairing and and attacking philosophy. Mowbray has attacking players and a defensive approach.

After nearly 5 windows, and excluding recent U23 potential graduates, our outfield squad is as follows:

Attackers - Graham, Brereton, Dack, Gallagher, Armstrong, Samuel,

Midfielders - Rothwell, Bennett, Mulgrew, Downing, Johnson, Smallwood, Evans, Davenport, Chapman, Travis*

Defenders - Nyambe, Bell, Williams, Hart, Lenihan*

Is it any wonder we have a problem? Which is why spending £5m on Gallagher while looking at that squad was a ridiculous move. Presumably he was a good laugh and got on with The Group.

And people still talk about “one game”!

(*converted successfully)

In fairness to that attacking line up the number of out and out strikers is very limited. Dack plays the 10 roll, Armstrong is out wide leaving Bereton, Graham and Samuel. 

Graham - good but aging. Age will catch up eventually. Don't want to be left with another Mulgrew situation. 

Bereton - looked poor last season and not up to it. Even if he is decent - and I doubt it - not up to taking on the mantle of Graham. Perhaps most tellingly of all he doesn't look suited to the lone striker role. 

Samuel - yeah. Nuff said. 

So to me we were really short up front too. Mostly is shows what a colossal waste of money Bereton was that needed to be rectified. So not my major criticism of TM doing so. 

That said given the other urgent areas needing upgrading perhaps a cheaper big unit of a footballer and diverting the majority of the funds from Gally onto a much needed defence would perhaps have been a better bet. Goodness knows that needed sorting too. But we needed cover up top as well imo. 

Finally if we had got Bauer would we be complaining about £5 mill on a striker. Perhaps that could have been the best of both worlds. Naturally we messed that option up too...