Jump to content
Neal

Mowbray In? Mowbray Out?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Pretty much as I see it, DE.

One of them (Brereton) will struggle to get on the pitch, other than bit parts and I think Gallagher will go the same way if he doesn’t shape himself very shortly. I haven’t really seen anything to suggest either of them will be a success. For a club in our financial predicament to spend that sort of money on ‘bit’ players, as you say ARA, is madness.

I didn’t see Gallagher season before last pre-iFollow, so was seeing him with fresh eyes on Saturday. Other than the run down the wing and cutback for Downing’s howler, I didn’t see anything from him. His miss looked clumsy and when Bell put in that great low cross in the second half, he made no move to anticipate it. I found myself wondering what this bloke has that Brereton doesn’t.

He’s spent all his money on those two so might as well get sacked for playing them than for not. Add to that the “defenders are coming, oh no they’re not” issue plus Arbitro’s long-voiced concern over new contracts for fringe players leaving us with a bloated squad, I think Mowbray has cooked his own goose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He’s spent all his money on those two so might as well get sacked for playing them than for not. Add to that the “defenders are coming, oh no they’re not” issue plus Arbitro’s long-voiced concern over new contracts for fringe players leaving us with a bloated squad, I think Mowbray has cooked his own goose. 

You’re right, John. I purposely haven’t mentioned the defence as it’s been done to death. I didn’t know our back four until the team was announced just before kick off but, suffice to say, it was a wtf moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
1
3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I didn’t see Gallagher season before last pre-iFollow, so was seeing him with fresh eyes on Saturday. Other than the run down the wing and cutback for Downing’s howler, I didn’t see anything from him. His miss looked clumsy and when Bell put in that great low cross in the second half, he made no move to anticipate it. I found myself wondering what this bloke has that Brereton doesn’t.

He’s spent all his money on those two so might as well get sacked for playing them than for not. Add to that the “defenders are coming, oh no they’re not” issue plus Arbitro’s long-voiced concern over new contracts for fringe players leaving us with a bloated squad, I think Mowbray has cooked his own goose. 

What an indictment. Take a bow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

You’re right, John. I purposely haven’t mentioned the defence as it’s been done to death. I didn’t know our back four until the team was announced just before kick off but, suffice to say, it was a wtf moment.

Similarly Mark, I didn’t mention Rothwell as that too had been done to death, and it’s just a difference in opinion. However, the evolution of the squad to where it is now with big signings not being the core of the team, a gash defence and too many unshiftables on the fringes is a fact that condemns him (sooner or later).

Two days won’t fix six windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we've spend £12 million on a successor for Graham and not succeeded in doing so that is gross incompetence. One is bad enough and poor judgement, but two... 

I still maintain as a big critic of TM we needed adequate back up for Graham this year. He's getting older and Dack also plays best with a target mannin front of him  However if £12 mill and 2 summers hasn't done it then TM weaknesses are even more widespread then I thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue blood said:

If we've spend £12 million on a successor for Graham and not succeeded in doing so that is gross incompetence. One is bad enough and poor judgement, but two... 

I still maintain as a big critic of TM we needed adequate back up for Graham this year. He's getting older and Dack also plays best with a target mannin front of him  However if £12 mill and 2 summers hasn't done it then TM weaknesses are even more widespread then I thought. 

TM seems to be betting on Gallagher being the man to replace Graham. Theoretically he could be moving towards a system where we play Gallagher and Brereton up front, but there's no evidence of that at present. If he's planning to transition into that next season he may find himself out of a job before he gets the chance to implement it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DE. said:

TM seems to be betting on Gallagher being the man to replace Graham. Theoretically he could be moving towards a system where we play Gallagher and Brereton up front, but there's no evidence of that at present. If he's planning to transition into that next season he may find himself out of a job before he gets the chance to implement it. 

I think he realises Bereton is a big mistake. Even if there is a decent player in there - which is questionable - he isn't a lone striker/target man which negates both the system and arguably our most talented player (Dack). Certainly with Graham still producing the goods and playing one up top there's no way you spend £5 mill, all your budget seemingly, on a 3rd option there. If there was a potential switch to 2 up top (not sure how you incorporate the rest of our players into that though, especially Dack) I'd have expected the last couple of games of the season for TM to give it a go. Basically I agree with what you are saying! I guess it's a positive he recognises Bereton doesn't quite work - if only he could see the flaws in the defence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dack will be gone next season.

We kept getting told we might have to "sell a Dack". Think that is more than just a might and is actually part of the plan. We will have to balance our FFP next season anyway - better hope we have a defence and a team that allows Dack to grab some headlines then or we wont be getting much for him!

I am guessing we are planning for life without both Dack and DG in the next season or two. Three young striker/wingers/inverted forwards or whatever you want to call them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JacknOry said:

Dack will be gone next season.

We kept getting told we might have to "sell a Dack". Think that is more than just a might and is actually part of the plan. We will have to balance our FFP next season anyway - better hope we have a defence and a team that allows Dack to grab some headlines then or we wont be getting much for him!

I am guessing we are planning for life without both Dack and DG in the next season or two. Three young striker/wingers/inverted forwards or whatever you want to call them.

Was just about to write the same thing. Definitely possible that TM has one eye on the future, under the impression that Dack and Graham will be gone by the time next season begins. Dangerous to look that far ahead when there is still plenty to do in the present, though. Don't look so far forward that you trip over what's right in front of you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DE. said:

Was just about to write the same thing. Definitely possible that TM has one eye on the future, under the impression that Dack and Graham will be gone by the time next season begins. Dangerous to look that far ahead when there is still plenty to do in the present, though. Don't look so far forward that you trip over what's right in front of you.  

Exactly, already had BB and AA here to develop and think Rothwell if he hasnt decided he wants out could be a natural successor to Dack if not a little different in style. Also Butterworth is coming through fast. No matter what, if we had 5 mil to spend and chose a striker instead of fixing our defense as part of some long term plan - wont be happy.

Could backfire badly. Potential relegation, massive loss in value of Dack, unrest from so many strikers being put on the wings/therefore stunting the progression of actual wingers like Chapman, JRC etc. (would say Downing but, ya know)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I shouldn't have to answer every question that comes along on my decisions on my players and as I have said before if we get it wrong too often you lose your job in this business. When you are a manager of a football club you make decisions and live and die by them and that is what I am happy to do.”

 

Just shows how often he gets an easy ride by our local supine media, that when he gets even a slightly pointed question he reacts like that.

Edited by Mattyblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrogant, condescending and delusional. The sooner he is sacked the better.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Thought this interview with Mowbray was interesting from today.

Seems like he's going to snap sooner or later...

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/tony-mowbrays-message-supporters-everything-16720353

Very interesting read. It does show the folly of hyperventilating to out-of-context soundbites. 

It’s clear that he’s very influenced by having relied on kids at Coventry and it not worked. I think it’s common when you know you are in your last job to be largely guided by what you feel you learned the hard way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Mowbray close to cracking, reading that.

He talks about logic and having a finite budget from which to buy players but he spends £5m on Gallagher and doesn’t improve our starting line up in defence. Where’s the logic in that?

If August goes the way of the bookie, he could be ranting by September.

And he only has himself to blame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet he lamented on his Coventry sacking that not bringing in a hard bastard centre half cost him his job.

We’ll see by tea time if he has actually learned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Very interesting read. It does show the folly of hyperventilating to out-of-context soundbites. 

It’s clear that he’s very influenced by having relied on kids at Coventry and it not worked. I think it’s common when you know you are in your last job to be largely guided by what you feel you learned the hard way.

Mowbray deals in soundbites though only they change depending on who he's addressing. He must have forgotten when he left Coventry two of the things he said were that 'you can't build a team on loans' and he regretted not getting 'a big 6ft 4 centre half who could have been a man and helped us keep clean sheets'. Sadly he still does not appear to have learnt from this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Youbare wrong pal...he is rebuilding the team thats a long proces maybe is not going to be easy...maybe we could fpund somebody bettwr for the job even but pal...Tony feels this colours nd he is happy to work with us...almoust the managers looks Rovers just like a step to going quickly to some other club i think Tony is really happy here...i inderstand your argument but i think he deserves at least a bunch more of games and that's all...Rovers has possibilities i don't think that our reality is what we showed last fixture....we can do it much more better and we will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The myth of 'building'

By next summer we are going to be even more short on numbers as contracts expire and loans return. It.will be another rebuilding job and thats before selling people to cover losses. It never ends here hence going through the players we have done. 

That's what happens when you shop in the loan and short term contract market and are reactive rather than proactive. You end up with people not good enough or just passing through to get games and 'do a job' for a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but he's lost the plot in that interview.

"Everybody has a name and says 'why don't you and get him?' Well if I phoned up about him and they are saying he is £20million and we can't afford him so we have to move onto the next one. And if we phone up about him and they say he is £10million well we can't afford him. Why don't we swap Tyler Magloire for the centre half at Rochdale, whoever he is, and stick him in our team and see how we get on?"

Norwich and Sheffield United both got out of the league without spending 10/20 million. It's down to good scouting. 

Are there players out there better than Bennett, Mulgrew and Bell - of course there are! Ridiculous to suggest otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Sounds like Mowbray close to cracking, reading that.

He talks about logic and having a finite budget from which to buy players but he spends £5m on Gallagher and doesn’t improve our starting line up in defence. Where’s the logic in that?

If August goes the way of the bookie, he could be ranting by September.

And he only has himself to blame.

He's shifted around from the pot of money for players to pot of money for certain types of players to no set pot of money we present each thing to the owners etc etc

Tripped himself up that many times he's beginning to sound like a man losing it or someone who really hasn't the first clue what he's on about when he hasn't been briefed by someone else.

Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JHRover said:

The myth of 'building'

By next summer we are going to be even more short on numbers as contracts expire and loans return. It.will be another rebuilding job and thats before selling people to cover losses. It never ends here hence going through the players we have done. 

That's what happens when you shop in the loan and short term contract market and are reactive rather than proactive. You end up with people not good enough or just passing through to get games and 'do a job' for a season.

Exactly. Building is not a real thing. At best teams have three years. Even then players are coming to the last year of their contracts in two years. The good ones won’t stay chasing the unicorn and the bad ones are wasting our time.

Football is about momentum. We had that this time last season and Mowbray didn’t upgrade the side, he stuck with our league one team and faffed around the edges. It very nearly backfired but there were enough poor teams below us and we did just enough.

We are now starting again but the talk from Mowbray is still about bringing in players to ‘help’ the first team. Smallwood still has a role to play in Mowbray’s mind FFS.

It’s no secret that I didn’t have much faith in him when he arrived. He failed in his first mission to keep us up. He was blessed with the best budget in L1 and finished second when he could have gone for the top spot and elected not to. He then didn’t capitalise last season. I fear if we are relegated again it will be too late. He hasn’t learned and continues to lack ambition. It’s all about keeping his senior players happy and rewarding loyalty with good contracts that then mean we can’t sell.

I’ve no faith in his methods and no belief that he will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

He's shifted around from the pot of money for players to pot of money for certain types of players to no set pot of money we present each thing to the owners etc etc

Tripped himself up that many times he's beginning to sound like a man losing it or someone who really hasn't the first clue what he's on about when he hasn't been briefed by someone else.

Not good.

Mowbray has someone reading social media - probably even posting - and he says what he thinks will dampen the flames.

Then he continues stubbornly with Plan A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

"I shouldn't have to answer every question that comes along on my decisions on my players and as I have said before if we get it wrong too often you lose your job in this business. When you are a manager of a football club you make decisions and live and die by them and that is what I am happy to do.”

 

Just shows how often he gets an easy ride by our local supine media, that when he gets even a slightly pointed question he reacts like that.

Try reading that again but imagine a particularly weasly Scottish accent, followed by some lip smacking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, booth said:

Try reading that again but imagine a particularly weasly Scottish accent, followed by some lip smacking.

I just threw up a bit in @Oldgregg86‘s mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.