BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

More anecdotal evidence but I’ve seen more folk on twitter losing patience with him. His comments post game last night haven’t gone down well 

Why would they?

I picked the two kids, I watch them every day in training and thought they were ready but I was wrong.  So as opposed to shouldering the blame I dumped it all on them publicly. That's bound to do the trick and get them playing better.

We won in the end anyway so I didn't really need to do it, but what the hell.

Inspirational stuff

• Like 1

It is a professional sport and if fans want to have a pop at Mowbray then crack on too. He's open and honest so can handle criticism and doesn't do social media anyway, or so he claims.

The real point here is that the public calling out of any player does no one any good.

Mowbray does it is such a way it looks to me like he's covering his own arse. NIL respect for that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

This is professional sport. The youngsters need to know the standards required. If they cant handle any cirtiscm, then they are no use to us.

I don't disagree, but kids these days are not very tough mentally.  

16 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

This is professional sport. The youngsters need to know the standards required. If they cant handle any cirtiscm, then they are no use to us.

That criticism should be done in the privacy of the changing room or Mowbrays office. There were worse than Platt and Grayson last night but no word from Mowbray about them.

Mowbray should have been more professional than that.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

You don't hang them out to dry in public, like Mowbray loves doing. Ferguson used to give the class of 92 the hairdryer treatment behind the scenes but would always back his kids 100% i the media

• Like 6

Just now, jim mk2 said:

You don't hang them out to dry in public, like Mowbray loves doing. Ferguson used to give the class of 92 the hairdryer treatment behind the scenes but would always back his kids 100% i the media

Since everyone knew Ferguson was a bully anyway not sure what difference it made.

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Since everyone knew Ferguson was a bully anyway not sure what difference it made.

Irrelevant.

The comment was about how the best managers back their kids, and don't berate them in public like Mowbray.

• Like 2

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

Well I didn't know he was a bully. I met him several times and had a meal with him once and he was absolutely fine. Public and private persona are completely different you know.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Understand your point but a young lad needs guidance to improve and if their not getting that from more experienced teammates then it needs to come from the coaches or manager. If that's not happening how can they improve.

Only thing that'll happen is bad habits will set in and ruin them.

This year the likes or Buckley, Butterworth and Magloire should have been near the squad with a set pathway to break in. Instead they are ditched to the side for no planning short term or long term. 

An example of this is Norwich last year. 3 of their back 4 where academy players with vital experience in the middle to pull it all together.

• Backroom

Mowbray is in one of those periods at the moment where almost everything he does is wrong. His team selections, his transfer business, his comments in the press... nothing is going right and he appears to be in tunnel vision mode , unable or unwilling to change direction. 

Just now, DE. said:

Mowbray is in one of those periods at the moment where almost everything he does is wrong. His team selections, his transfer business, his comments in the press... nothing is going right and he appears to be in tunnel vision mode , unable or unwilling to change direction. 

It has unravelled quite remarkably.

He had the funds and the support to build a team which could give us an entertaining season at the very least. He had the opportunity to clear the decks of deadwood.

Three games into the Season, all we have is ??????

Football is a simple game. Mowbray has to go simple again picking a squad playing in their right positions as far as possible so he cannot get bashed for it.

Pick the best eleven you have got, don't over think the opposition and give the lads the tactics which will bring the best out of them. 

The last thing we or the players need are heroic brain waves..

• Like 5

Just now, philipl said:

He had the funds and the support to build a team which could give us an entertaining season at the very least. He had the opportunity to clear the decks of deadwood.

I'm not bothered about being entertained, Philip. Nor do I want fancy formations and strategies that confuse fans as well as the players.

And yes, he's wasted money on players who aren't good enough and we don't need. 

I just want a pragmatic manager who gets the basics right. 

And for my own sanity I would like to see a defence that does not cave in under the slightest pressure.

Mowbray shows no sign of delivering any of these. 

• Like 7

• Backroom
Just now, philipl said:

It has unravelled quite remarkably.

Football is a simple game. Mowbray has to go simple again picking a squad playing in their right positions as far as possible so he cannot get bashed for it.

Pick the best eleven you have got, don't over think the opposition and give the lads the tactics which will bring the best out of them. 

The last thing we or the players need are heroic brain waves..

It's amazing that so many people are already feeling so incredibly anxious and we're only at August 14th, with two league matches and one cup match played. It suggests to me that there is some concern still lingering from what was statistically the worst run of form we'd ever been on under Venky's between Feb - Apr last season, and resentment over a transfer window that broke promises and has blatantly left us undermanned in key positions. 

We need a performance and a result on Saturday, because it already feels like TM is on the precipice. If not with Venky's then certainly with an increasing number of fans who are beginning to see through his talk and realise a lot of what he says is hollow. He has an admirable vision but is proving he is unable to bring that vision to fruition, and is instead causing us to regress at an alarming rate. As I've said before it is rare that managers get themselves out of these downward spirals once they begin, we just have to hope that by the time Mowbray leaves he hasn't dragged us too far down. It would be a shame if his legacy was ultimately marred by a big contribution to another relegation, and would essentially wipe out all of the hard work and good things he had done beforehand. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

It's amazing that so many people are already feeling so incredibly anxious and we're only at August 14th, with two league matches and one cup match played. 

There's a "feeling" something's not right at Ewood.  Call it experience or just old age, but these feelings have been right in the past and it has not ended well for Rovers.  Mowbray's demeanour is different too. Does he know he's made a mess of the transfer window, signed the wrong players, wasted money, and failed to fix the team's problems? Or has he realised he cannot take the club any further and his days are numbered as results gets worse?

Either way, there's a growing sense of unease among supporters. 

• Like 1

If he knows that then he should resign. Or is it OK to sit and take the money for some people but not others? That's a question aimed at others. I suppose Mowbray isn't being incompetent on purpose or deliberately screwing anyone over but it's no excuse.

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray seems to be losing his marbles, so I wouldn't be surprised

I wonder is he under more pressure than some of us give Venkys credit for 

I've posted on more than one occasion recently that I think there is a points' target for August, our owners are miffed about the Brereton debacle and Mowbray had to give assurances Gallagher would play.  I don't think I'm far wrong. 

Just now, Mercer said:

I've posted on more than one occasion recently that I think there is a points' target for August, our owners are miffed about the Brereton debacle and Mowbray had to give assurances Gallagher would play.  I don't think I'm far wrong. 

Do our owners know who Brereton is ? 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Do our owners know who Brereton is ? 

If I'd coughed up £7million+ and commensurate wages, I feckin would!

Remember, they have 'their' man (Suhail) giving them the inside track.

2 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

This is professional sport. The youngsters Managers need to know the standards required. If they cant handle any cirtiscm, then they are no use to us.

Same apples to Mowbray...

However, a good manager does not dig out his players in public. He defends them, shoulders the blame, shields them from criticism. Especially young players.

The bollocks them in private.

Still, Mani tells me the players and their mum’s are delighted so what do I know.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DE. said:

He will get through it. He just needs to win football matches.