BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

He's not even learnt from his mistakes at Coventry, let alone us! Cannot fathom how he thought this bunch would be okay after shipping 69 goals last season. I posted it in the match thread, but IMO he doesn't really deserve the chance to rectify it before the window shuts. If he couldn't see our biggest problem following last season then he's not good enough to be the manager of our club.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I was willing to give him this window to see if he had learned from last season's mistakes and had something new for us, a bit of courage and bravery.

But no. Same old shit. I don't necessarily think we'll go down under TM but we will never, ever crack the top six with him in charge. I'm 100% sure of that. We'll be lucky to get into the top ten, frankly. His recruitment is questionable at best, his team selections make me want to slam my head against a wall and his tactics are incredibly uninspiring. 

He has his good points - he's a good bloke, he's brought unity and togetherness to the club, he pulled us out of the pit when we were at arguably our lowest ebb in the last decade, he's the only manager in the last decade who has had a vision for the club that goes beyond the immediate future (although he shouldn't be the person doing that). Full respect for those things, but if we want to progress Mowbray is just not the man for the job.

Realistically though he is going nowhere any time soon - and to be honest even if he did I am sure our owners would get in somebody worse. It's not just that we aren't going anywhere under Mowbray, we aren't going anywhere under these owners until they realise how important the managerial position is and what the manager's responsiblities should actually be - hint: not running 80% of the club. They don't appear to have learnt this with nearly a decade of experience though so I'm not exactly hopeful anything is going to change in the near future.

• Like 6

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He's not even learnt from his mistakes at Coventry, let alone us! Cannot fathom how he thought this bunch would be okay after shipping 69 goals last season. I posted it in the match thread, but IMO he doesn't really deserve the chance to rectify it before the window shuts. If he couldn't see our biggest problem following last season then he's not good enough to be the manager of our club.

This is what worries me the most. This exact same scenario has already happened before.

Promotion from L1 has turned Mowbray into some kind of Midas but he just doesn’t have the Midas touch.

I don’t want Mowbray to go... yet.

I want him to stick to his word instead of telling the fans what they want to hear. He said that he knew the issues and would address the defence. Instead he replaced the keeper with a taller one and carried on with the same ill-thought plan: keep picking the senior players and let them get on with it. Downing is now another of Mowbray’s The Group.

All we seem to have done this Summer (keeper aside) is upgrade Smallwood. Yet we’ve still given the latter squad number 6. Yes, I know, numbers, schmumbers, it’s a squad game, yada yada but it means he is still part of Mowbray’s plans at this point.

The problem at this stage with bringing in Johnson and making Mowbray DoF for example is that they aren’t his players.

We now have to see through this first three months and hope that something changes. Sadly Mowbray has shown this usually only happens when his hand is forced through injury or suspension.

Today reminded me of another 2-1 home loss on the first day of the season. The optimism, the new signings, the hope for better. Ninety minutes later...deflation. Remember Rovers 1 Wolves 2 under Steve Kean, 2011?

Mowbray has more goodwill in the bank than Kean had and we have a stronger squad in this league compared to the mess we had in the Prem that final season. 

Same feeling our all those hopes drained, however. Same sense of dread for our season to come. We now need a big performance next week after that pile of crap.

Tried to stay out of shouting for his nut last season in that awful run that he contributed to and it wasn't a blip it was a huge warning sign that has gone almost unheeded. I say almost because he has at least tried to put a sticking plaster over a rather large wound but his logic is totally flawed he seems to have spent all his time over thinking how he can around it without upsetting senior players.

Also said last season i fully believe Nyambe is another of his scapegoats and wouldn't be surprised if he bailed if he gets a decent offer. Surely questions would then be asked in Pune why we are losing our young talent ?

Yes it's one game but it's the exact same pattern since he walked through the door and he's had time enough and more than enough dough to construct something at least resembling a defence with a bit of beef about it.  Hate to say it but i'll be surprised if he sees Christmas it's just a feeling i have from midway through last season and that concerns me but maybe the clubs infrastructure now and the talent on the books could withstand it in a way it couldn't before.

Certainly don't want him potted at this juncture but i can't see anything other than same old same old in the coming months, good bloke obviously and off the park he's proven to be a good manager for us but on it he's bang average and his football is timid and tepid where we need large pairs of knackers.

Mid table Mogga, you heard it here.  I really hope it bites me on the ass !

• Like 2

Just now, Martin said:

Comparisons to Kean are crazy.

We’ve been crying out for stability. We have some. Changing the manager now would be a disaster.

So do we wait until December when we are bottom of the league.

Did you go today?

Just now, RoverAbroad said:

The comparison was between two opening day 2-1 home defeats. We had "stability" that season when we stuck with Kean.

Not calling for TM to go after just one game...but today was an absolute shocker. 

Wouldn’t say there was anything stable about Kean’s time as Manager.

I will absolutely agree that today was an absolute shocker. No getting around that.

Please Venkys get rid of this dinosaur.. Signing 5 million and 6 Million players and then not even playing them in there correct positions is criminal. His brand of football or the lack of it is still to he seen even after nearly 2/3 years. After TM leaves all I will remember him for is a manager who played players out of position ... Versatility my ass !!  He comes across as I know everything & is becoming a bit of a Ewood Zhar !! 

It is my understanding that he has totally overlooked the Recruitment Departments recommendations instead going for his own know how ... how can a club be ran like that ....  

• Like 5

Just now, unleaded said:

Please Venkys get rid of this dinosaur.. Signing 5 million and 6 Million players and then not even playing them in there correct positions is criminal. His brand of football or the lack of it is still to he seen even after nearly 2/3 years. After TM leaves all I will remember him for is a manager who played players out of position ... Versatility my ass !!  He comes across as I know everything & is becoming a bit of a Ewood Zhar !! 

It is my understanding that he has totally overlooked the Recruitment Departments recommendations instead going for his own know how ... how can a club be ran like that ....  

Stop talking to the Loons, they have less of a clue than TM. Good grief.

On 03/08/2019 at 19:20, unleaded said:

Just now, unleaded said:

His signings sort of support that revelation

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Get the sentiment. But be realistic, he’s well ensconced at the club. Close relationship with Waggott and the owners.

No chance he goes anytime soon, even if he oversaw a relegation.

No disrespect but I couldn't give a flying f*ck about his relations at Rovers. He gets judged by us by what he puts out on the pitch. He is absolutely putnofnhis depth. All of a sudden we look like a side capable of a relegation battle rather than top 6 contenders. 

He’s not the worst manager we’ve had or the best. What I will say is that he does come across as a bit bland and outdated, that comes across in his tactics and decision making. I would prefer a younger manager with new exciting ideas but I’m not 100% against him overall. I think we need to see who he signs over the next week - if he doesn’t address the defence then we won’t be a happy bunch obviously.