BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

The reason this thread is here is not because we lost, it is down to some of the baffling decisions Mowbray seems to make. 

I think a centre back and a left back and we have a quality squad. But Mowbray will continue to exclude the same players for average dross played out of position. 

If Nyambe had started at right back, Rothwell on the left, Arma on the right this thread wouldn't be here. It's not the loss it's the stupid fu**ing decisions Mowbray makes again and again without justification. 

Personally I think at some point he'll change it. After about 8 games and the players coming in having blinders at which point they will still be at risk. He's too slow, too stubborn and refuses to drop his favourites. There is nothing wrong with the players managing the dressing room. Leicester City won the league that way. But as soon as the senior players who are managing it don't perform and arent dropped both those players and the manager lose faith and respect. 

Final word. Elliot fooking Bennett. 

• Like 3

I expected to read some unhappy and angry posts. After one game and 45 minutes  after the whistle this is another new low for BRFCS.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I can’t be arsed reading all the posts but my take us simple UTTER RUBBISH we don’t need posts like this after 1 game show some support and get behind the team. Mowbray out? FFS get a grip

Why do people keep saying “after one game”.

It’s not about one game, it’s about another missed opportunity in the transfer window, another failure to fix the defence, another regression to the same failed formula, and experience says that he isn’t going to change his ways.

Unless Venkys throw more money at him in January, it is another wasted season. Any manager following Mowbray’s spending bonanza tenure will be a pauper.

And to think we nearly got Warnock.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Why do people keep saying “after one game”.

It’s not about one game, it’s about another missed opportunity in the transfer window, another failure to fix the defence, another regression to the same failed formula, and experience says that he isn’t going to change his ways.

More justified than over the top hatred of Keith Andrews isn't it? ?

When you make your support feel utter fools on game one...

Not  a good look...

In my defence, knowing we had a serious problem in one of the central defensive slots, I would have played a real right back at right back, pulled Downing Mr reliable to left back and played Rothwell to give them more to think about on the right.

In Tony's defence he has five window days to sort it.

Stopped reading after the first page. Absolute shocker of a thread backed up by the modern day instant gratification whinny fans that epitomizes modern day society.  

It's embarrassing seeing a less than half full ewood then reading the same over the top fans on here who think we are a big club. 

Won't pay beer money but expect champagne. 

• Like 3

Personally think 14,000 was a decent enough crowd for a mid table second division club, a town club with a small catchment area, a club that has treaded water (at best) for nearly a decade. Crowds are now a fair bit higher than they were 2/3 years ago. The support is doing their bit for not a lot of improvement on the pitch. Not embarrassing in the slightest.

What embarrasses me is Rovers fans who won’t defend our crowds against no nowt idiots on social media and in real life. 

We had 16,000 on the opening day in the PL against Fulham in 2005/2006. THAT was embarrassing.

Shame a few of those who popped down to see how we are progressing probably won’t be back for a while...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Love how individindividuals think that this is a reactionary decision to suddenly not back the manager.

Before yesterday's game everyone knew the defence was not good enough and certain individuals aren't good enough to play yet they are doing. Why wasn't defence focused on during the summer?

To many got carried away with dark favourites to surprise the league or the talk of its alright we'll score 4 they score 3. Truth is that Rovers are in real danger of being surprise relegation contenders and this situation feels exactly the same as when bowyer had the team to score goals but couldn't defend for toffee.

That was down to the manager and this situation is the exact same. If the manager can't or won't fix the issues in defence he should go. If he's not allowed to then this famous Mowbray the honourable should kick in and he should walk. He'd get offers in league 1 to build again under a stable setup.

Also this idea of instant results. I think it needs to be realised that even though we are spending millions a season on players. Rovers are one decision away from being Bolton. That is venkies walking away and wanting their money back. That's why it's more important than anything to get the promotion money to the premier league to get into a more stable situation.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I expected to read some unhappy and angry posts. After one game and 45 minutes  after the whistle this is another new low for BRFCS.

No! It absolutely isn't. Plenty of fans saying exactly the same thing on the way out. Didn't hear anyone defend TM.

• Like 1

Each to their own, my opinion in a nutshell;

If you think it’s time to sack TM, you know nothing about football, you’ve learnt nothing from the last ten years, and you generally don’t know the difference between aspiration and expectation.

Things can change quickly - but we’ve played 1 game in a competitive league, with 45 to go.

Picking a few of last season results, or the inability to get exactly what we want in transfer windows as the main reasons, with this defeat as the “straw that broke the camels back”...

I have to say - that’s a complete knee jerk lack of awareness.

No surprise, not a single person in the club before or after, not a single person on the concourse or on the ground, or a single one of the people I talked to after in a few pubs after even mentioned the words “Mowbray out”..

Reason for that? A normal conversation  involves being immediately responsible for your words, and many things said in reaction to yesterday’s result in this thread, would’ve been laughed at as a pointless “vent”!

Some might not like it, but I don’t particularly like reading this kind of (in my view) OTT reaction to a sport that’s never been as simple as it’s perceived.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

If you think it’s time to sack TM, you know nothing about football, you’ve learnt nothing from the last ten years, and you generally don’t know the difference between aspiration and expectation.

Things can change quickly - but we’ve played 1 game in a competitive league, with 45 to go.

Picking a few of last season results, or the inability to get exactly what we want in transfer windows as the main reasons, with this defeat as the “straw that broke the camels back”...

No surprise, not a single person in the club before or after, not a single person on the concourse or on the ground, or a single one of the people I talked to after in a few pubs after even mentioned the words “Mowbray out”..

Reason for that? A normal conversation  involves being immediately responsible for your words, and many things said in reaction to yesterday’s result in this thread, would’ve been laughed at as a pointless “vent”!

Some might not like it, but I don’t particularly like reading this kind of (in my view) OTT reaction to a sport that’s never been as simple as it’s perceived.

Where do you sit? I can assure you I've heard people in the ground who want him gone.

12 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Bit of a harsh post. 

Know nothing about football? I'd suggest not sorting the defence is more an indication of that. Everyone pro/anti/ indifferent to TM says the defence needs sorting yet it doesn't happen. Again everyone of all outlooks has commented on how poor Smallwood, Bennett etc looks yet it takes an age to drop him. I'd suggest saying TM is immune from criticism is more of that ilk. 

Picking a few of last season's results. It was half a season that showed a downward trajectory. At the very least a 4 points from 10 games run wouldn't be sanctioned in most places. But absymal as that was it was probably half a season of poor results papered over by a couple of small winning runs. 

Not getting exactly what we want in the transfer window. How about any defenders? The defence was the same as 2 years ago and includes a midfielder out of his depth and a finished centre back. We've had 4 windows to improve this defence and we haven't really as yet. Forget exactly what we want, vaguely what we want would be a start. 

As for the difference between aspiration and expectation I'd say a manager under scrutiny after last season's results, after 4 unbalanced transfer windows, after keeping playing favourites, after blowing £7 mill on a dud. That would be an expectation at any club but ours. Anything other than a rational, critical evaluation of the manager's performance - and I notice that you haven't addressed his favouritism or use of young players - is a failure as a club to act in a professional manner. The expectation until Vs rocked up was that managers were assessed and judged. Only now do they seem not accountable on any normal time scale. 

Only thing I agree with is the caution of Venkys choosing the right manager. Very, very doubtful. However, if it keeps becoming apparent TM is not able to progress us, perhaps we do have to roll the dice again. Let's not pretend he's a good manager though. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

Bit of a harsh post. 

. Let's not pretend he's a good manager though. 

Two things - Just to clarify, that’s me venting the same as many above.

I stand by the point though - simplified; If you think the best course of action is to immediately sack Mowbray - you know nothing about football. As @Ossydave says, another 5 games of the same will quickly ramp up heat, but I’m standing by that “harsh” comment.

Secondly - “let’s not pretend he’s a good manager” - and you call me harsh. How many of our recent managers (some of them you’d be stretching the truth using that term) have achieved anything?

Its knee jerk lack of gravitas. I’m with @Paul - new low from my perspective.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Not many are saying TM should be sacked one game into the season, and as you always get a few then it's hardly a surprise. However, do you...

Deny that Nyambe should be in at right back instead of Bennett?

Deny that Mowbray selecting a back four that he himself said wasn't up to the job last season was a mistake?

Deny that Rothwell should have started?

Deny that his substitutions, resulting in Gallagher on the left wing and putting on Buckley when chasing the game instead of our £7 million forward who'd showed promise in preseason was a mistake?

Mowbray had the chance to show that he'd learned from last season. He completely ballsed it up.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and one bad result doesn't make a campaign to get the manager out. However, our worst performer wasn't Bennett or Mulgrew today. It was Mowbray. 

Since the start of February we have collected 17 points from 18 league games. Less than a point a game is, of course, relegation form.

After that debacle, it might not be Mowbray Out, but it most certainly is Mowbray Must Start Doing Better for anyone but those who "know nothing about football".

Edited by RoverAbroad
  • Like 4

Some real drama queens on here again and a lot of them long serving posters who've done more than their fair share of grunting and whining in the past, real hypocritical stuff to be honest.

Man up and let people call it as they see it the evidence is there on the pitch and it's based on the last few years not one game or one bad half. We have a manger who's agreed with 3/4 or the board on numerous occasions yet done sod all about it so it's only natural he'll get called out on it and so he should be.

The bad run last season wasn't because the team or him are crap it was because they both have glaring weaknesses so it was a red flag for all. If you ignore the symptoms of something serious it will not go away although it might settle down for a bit but at some point it's back and potentially worse. The only way to fix it is aggressive treatment or major surgery but this fella has stuck a plaster on it and hoped for the best whilst having cosmetic surgery to boost his ego to the tune of 15 million up top !

Let's hope it's just first day drama and not turning into a crisis.  One thing Mowbray is with all his experience is a calm head so he'll sort it but his lack of boldness brings it on in the first place, which is the lesser of the two evils ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

Just now, RoverAbroad said:

Not many are saying TM should be sacked one game into the season, and as you always get a few then it's hardly a surprise. However, do you...

Deny that Nyambe should be in at right back instead of Bennett?

Had this discussion lots already - I think both have aspects the other lacks 

Deny that Mowbray selecting a back four that he himself said wasn't up to the job last season was a mistake?

Tosin took ages, Williams is injured. I also don’t think the market is as straightforward as others. Not all decent young players from the pl will come on a pay cut because they want to play for us (Gallagher)

Deny that Rothwell should have started?

Armstrong / Rothwell / Downing, I would’ve found it hard to choose from them too. I though the subs yesterday could’ve been used better.

Deny that his substitutions, resulting in Gallagher on the left wing and putting on Buckley when chasing the game instead of our £7 million forward who'd showed promise in preseason was a mistake?

Absolutely - TM ain’t infallible. I’m hindsight it’s obvious others may have stepped up but - bringing on Rothwell (our best on bench) Graham (last years player of season) and Buckley (arguably our best youngster) would’ve been many of our choices during the game.

Mowbray had the chance to show that he'd learned from last season. He completely ballsed it up.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and one bad result doesn't make a campaign to get the manager out. However, our worst performer wasn't Bennett or Mulgrew today. It was Mowbray. 

Since the start of February we have collected 17 points from 18 league games. Less than a point a game is, of course, relegation form.

After that debacle, it might not be Mowbray Out, but it most certainly is Mowbray Must Start Doing Better for anyone who but those who "know nothing about football".

Absolutely - he’s got to get more from what he did yesterday, and I’m not denying that. I just think the people must be oblivious to football if they believe sacking TM right now is a good idea.

This is his big season, he’s essentially set himself up for it by achieving the minimum targets in the previous two and talking up playoffs. I’d be joining you in the queue to help drive him home should we look like going backwards in the coming months. 

1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

I would bet most of those people you talked to where saying why is TM  picking the wrong defenders, when he publicly states he sees the problem.  

14 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Two things - Just to clarify, that’s me venting the same as many above.

I stand by the point though - simplified; If you think the best course of action is to immediately sack Mowbray - you know nothing about football. As @Ossydave says, another 5 games of the same will quickly ramp up heat, but I’m standing by that “harsh” comment.

Secondly - “let’s not pretend he’s a good manager” - and you call me harsh. How many of our recent managers (some of them you’d be stretching the truth using that term) have achieved anything?

Its knee jerk lack of gravitas. I’m with @Paul - new low from my perspective.

First point I'll be honest. I feel under Williams and the old regime he'd have been gone by now as I do think he is pretty limited. If he wasn't potted in the summer - and I feel there is a strong argument he had taken us as far as he could - then absolutely you can't pot after one game. That said 3 or 4 more in this vein and given his past year or so he would be out if I were in charge. However, I will say this, whilst one game doesn't deserve the boot it speaks volumes about the type of manager TM is - ie limited. He doesn't learn fast enough to be a good manager. 

Secondly you will get no argument from me that TM isn't the best manager we've had in a while or that any of the recent incumbents have been anything other than poor to appalling. Problem is that really shouldn't be the standard any manager is judged against. If that's the bar I'm not sure it is off the ground! If TM was compared against other proper managers however - a much more suitable barometer to judge against imo - then the comment is far from harsh. Comparatively he's ok to not that good. It's our misfortune and TM's good luck that he's following a set of managers who struggle to rise past shambolic.