BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Mercer said:

If I'd coughed up £7million+ and commensurate wages, I feckin would!

Remember, they have 'their' man (Suhail) giving them the inside track.

They've lost £m's on us, you really think Madame is going to be paying attention if Ben f8cking Brereton is playing, give your head a wobble. 

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

He will get through it. He just needs to win football matches.

Unfortunately when you're making big mistakes and losing the faith of the players and the supporters that becomes increasingly difficult. He just has to hope he pulls himself out of it before the owners lose patience, which by conservative estimates will probably be around October/November. 

38 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There's a "feeling" something's not right at Ewood.  Call it experience or just old age, but these feelings have been right in the past and it has not ended well for Rovers.  Mowbray's demeanour is different too. Does he know he's made a mess of the transfer window, signed the wrong players, wasted money, and failed to fix the team's problems? Or has he realised he cannot take the club any further and his days are numbered as results gets worse?

Either way, there's a growing sense of unease among supporters. 

I agree, the changes in Mowbray’s demeanour and behaviour are striking. Seen it many times in the workplace and the cause is always increased pressure from above.

I think one of the pressures is the squad size and the wage bill, for which there will have been tight targets following having the consultants in. I get the impression he is increasingly desperate to get players out on loan: giving Smallwood an early hook and calling out the young centre half’s were perhaps that desperation surfacing.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

All interesting conjecture, but does anyone have any evidence?

Big Ben is the Clock. London buses as additional evidence. The Clock is still in London.

Madames confusion came about when she heard they couldn't get a tune out of Big Ben until sometime in the 2020s as its a repair project.

download (1).jpg

Mowbray arrived in Jan. 2017 when we were bottom of the  Championship.

32 months later, we are bottom of the Championship again.

During this time, Venky's have issued approx £48million of shares (an average of £1.5million/month) through VLL in order to keep the ship afloat !!!

There will come a tipping point for both Mowbray and, sadly, our club.

Sobering thoughts.

• Like 1

I think Mowbray got very lucky last night. His attitude with the media has changed this season from a calm manner to one that seems annoyed alot. I do agree with the decision to let Mulgrew leave but why wasn't this make sooner I don't know aswell as a few squad players like Smallwood, Evans. Plus he got his transfer business was wrong for a number of reasons, 1. not bring in an experience keeper, 2. no experience centre back sign, 3 no right back sign. Why these players wasn't signed I don't know, wold love to know the reasons why. 

Mowbray's style of play change hasn't worked for some reasons and I was expecting a faster quickly more movement style of play. Sadly this hasn't worked out. 

We have still more questions than answers currently. Mowbray has problems to sort out and he needs to do so quickly. 

He needs to improve results very quickly otherwise I think he been gone by the international break in October. Mowbray said he wanted top 6 this season but for me, we are still lacking in a couple of areas

• Like 9

Just now, Mercer said:

Mowbray arrived in Jan. 2017 when we were bottom of the  Championship.

32 months later, we are bottom of the Championship again.

During this time, Venky's have issued approx £48million of shares (an average of £1.5million/month) through VLL in order to keep the ship afloat !!!

There will come a tipping point for both Mowbray and, sadly, our club.

Sobering thoughts.

£48 million you assured us 32 months ago that they didn’t have.

Mowbray’s tipping point will undoubtedly come, as it does for all managers, but probably not because Madame thinks Brereton should be starting up front.

Personally I think he’s in a lot more danger from the bloated wage bill at the end of the window.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You reckon? I’m pretty sure we’ll be hearing it if things go awry on Saturday, perhaps for the first time since Doncaster at home this time two years ago.

I meant early in the match (90 seconds)

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think Mowbray got very lucky last night. His attitude with the media has changed this season from a calm manner to one that seems annoyed alot. I do agree with the decision to let Mulgrew leave but why wasn't this make sooner I don't know aswell as a few squad players like Smallwood, Evans. Plus he got his transfer business was wrong for a number of reasons, 1. not bring in an experience keeper, 2. no experience centre back sign, 3 no right back sign. Why these players wasn't signed I don't know, wold love to know the reasons why. 

Mowbray's style of play change hasn't worked for some reasons and I was expecting a faster quickly more movement style of play. Sadly this hasn't worked out. 

We have still more questions than answers currently. Mowbray has problems to sort out and he needs to do so quickly. 

He needs to improve results very quickly otherwise I think he been gone by the international break in October. Mowbray said he wanted top 6 this season but for me, we are still lacking in a couple of areas

Go on chaddy lad. Lets go f****** mental!!!!!

Chaddy going for it, well at least thats his version (of being mad with manager). If chaddy is mad, we must be shit.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

90 seconds was in jest, but certainly in the first 20 minutes or so, I sensed a real shift in mood last night.

I think a lot of folk thought they’d have had an entertaining evening against poor opposition. The half time boos told their own story.

Although it ended up being an entertaining end to the game, we were 7 minutes away from an extremely embarrassing episode.

• Backroom

90 seconds was in jest, but certainly in the first 20 minutes or so, I sensed a real shift in mood last night.

I can see things turning quite quickly if we concede early again on Saturday. Even though we won late on last night and it should have been a feel good moment, I didn't really get that sense from people posting here who had returned from the game. It was mostly frustration over Mowbray once again making things much harder than they need to be. I spent most of the evening ranting about poor old TM and his decision making, whereas normally I barely even remember cup matches are on, particularly in the earlier rounds. 

A couple of league wins will ease the tension but it needs to happen soon. I don't think Mowbray can afford 3/4 straight losses on the bounce, and if we lose on Saturday our next fixtures are Hull away, then Cardiff and WBA at home, so it isn't getting any easier. We all knew we had a tough start to the season but it's still not acceptable to come out of this period with nothing to show for it, and right now I see it as a very realistic possibility that we could go into September on 0 points rooted to the foot of the table with loyal supporters turning (even Chaddy and Parson are being critical) and pressure rising to untenable levels. Mowbray has walked before and his demeanour suggests he's already feeling the strain. If he feels that he's lost the players then I genuinely think he could resign. 

Edited by DE.

Just now, DE. said:

I can see things turning quite quickly if we concede early again on Saturday. Even though we won late on last night and it should have been a feel good moment, I didn't really get that sense from people posting here who had returned from the game. It was mostly frustration over Mowbray once again making things much harder than they need to be. I spent most of the evening ranting about poor old TM and his decision making, whereas normally I barely even remember cup matches are on, particularly in the earlier rounds. 

A couple of league wins will ease the tension but it needs to happen soon. I don't think Mowbray can afford 3/4 straight losses on the bounce, and if we lose on Saturday our next figures are Hull away, then Cardiff and WBA at home, so it isn't getting any easier. We all knew we had a tough start to the season but it's still not acceptable to come out of this period with nothing to show for it, and right now I see it as a very realistic possibility that we could go into September on 0 points rooted to the foot of the table with loyal supporters turning (even Chaddy and Parson are being critical) and pressure rising to untenable levels. Mowbray has walked before and his demeanour suggests he's already feeling the strain. If he feels that he's lost the players then I genuinely think he could resign. 

Very much doubt he will resign.

This, most probably,  is his last pay day in football.

Think it will cost a minimum of £1million to sack him.

Would you walk?

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Mercer said:

Very much doubt he will resign.

This, most probably,  is his last pay day in football.

Think it will cost a minimum of £1million to sack him.

Would you walk?

Probably not, but I don't think this would be his last stint. People will look at his promotion from League 1 and keeping us in the Championship the following season and think there's a decent manager there. He also talks a good game even though he doesn't really back it up. In his mind it might be better to resign early and blame an unfair dressing room revolt (and maybe throw the owners under the bus too if they've been interfering in transfers, although there's no evidence of that) than staying on and adding another sacking or relegation to his CV. 

At the very least I think there would be decent clubs in League 1 willing to take him on, and maybe even some desperate Championship clubs. I have no idea what he is paid here so can't speculate on whether he'd be on more or less in a new position, but if he can walk away from Coventry and slide into a job like Rovers, I see no reason why he can't find his way into another club if he pulls the same trick here and leaves before being pushed. I can't imagine he's hard up for cash and he claims that "dignity" was the reason he left Coventry after ten games without a win, so, I don't think it's implausible to think he'd walk away from this job too if he felt it would do more harm than good to his reputation to stay.

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

A couple of league wins will ease the tension but it needs to happen soon. I don't think Mowbray can afford 3/4 straight losses on the bounce, and if we lose on Saturday our next fixtures are Hull away, then Cardiff and WBA at home, so it isn't getting any easier. We all knew we had a tough start to the season but it's still not acceptable to come out of this period with nothing to show for it, and right now I see it as a very realistic possibility that we could go into September on 0 points rooted to the foot of the table with loyal supporters turning (even Chaddy and Parson are being critical) and pressure rising to untenable levels. Mowbray has walked before and his demeanour suggests he's already feeling the strain. If he feels that he's lost the players then I genuinely think he could resign. 

Right now, something to show for it would be signs that a team and a playing style are forming, with a first XI forming on merit and contribution rather that the carousel of fringe players.

But even then, upsets happen all the time in this division, why not us?

For all of this talk about how he has lost the dressing room and that the players don't like him, it is maybe worth giving this a read:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-downing-interview-summer-options-16753051

Players are obviously going to say nice things, but Downing specifically mentions how he impressed them in their first meeting and how Mowbray has created a buzz around the place - all of this in an interview in which the focus is really his time at Boro, their prospects, and his return. 

Worth a thought. 

Don’t doubt it’s been a great camp for some time, however the Mulgrew situation, popular captain bundled out the door on deadline day, coupled with bad results is exactly the change of circumstances that can turn a dressing room.

Edited by Mattyblue

Don’t doubt it’s been a great camp for some time, however the Mulgrew situation, popular captain bundled out the door on deadline day, coupled with bad results is exactly the change of circumstances that can turn a dressing room.

Do you not agree that it was right time(this transfer window) to move Mulgrew on? 

• Like 1