BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, 47er said:

His football is dour and boring though. If he is passionate in his enthusiasm it doesn't translate to the pitch.

He sets teams up not to lose (whatever the opposition) very negative.

Edited by DeeCee

55 minutes ago, Paul said:

You bet? Is that the extent of your evidence or argument? The figure isn't even mine, it's conjecture posted by someone else.

The story from the Wigan end of things is that they are paying £10k of his £14k a week. That’s from a source at Wigan that would usually be spot on.

just passing it on for what  it’s worth 

• Like 3

Just now, TBTF said:

The story from the Wigan end of things is that they are paying £10k of his £14k a week. That’s from a source at Wigan that would usually be spot on.

just passing it on for what  it’s worth 

Probably about right. I also suspect that is more or less what we are sending Cardiff's way for Cunningham. 

When we go though and deduct off wages for Raya, Nuttall, Reed, Conway, Rodwell and balance out with Gallagher, Johnson, Walton and Downing I suspect we've stood still on wages. 

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I keep hearing about these. If we are committed to paying substantial 'fees' to borrow those players then that makes our transfer policy even more ludicrous. The only benefit to going down the loan route is that it avoids the need to shell out a substantial transfer fee, if we're still shelling out substantial fees just to borrow those players for 12 months and will have to spend again to replace them next summer then it becomes even more bonkers short termism. 

I saw someone say that Tosin was costing £1 million+ to borrow from Man City. If that's true then I wonder what the hell we are playing at. I am certain for £1 million+ we could have found a CB of good standard who we could own and build around for 2-3 years.

Spot on. Put it towards a signing on fee for Bauer if he was asking for silly wages - i.e. the signing on free mitigates/lowers the wages a bit  (And Preston can't be paying more than us.) At least we would be our player too and as you say we'd get either a couple of seasons out of him or a good return on our investment. 

If we paid a loan fee for Walton that makes that move even more stupid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DE. said:

If we're ignoring hearsay and conjecture then we can only go by what Mowbray and Waggot have told us - namely that the budget was roughly the same as last summer (circa £10m) and the Raya money was being added to the budget. So with SG's transfer being taken into account that would only be a net spend of £2m against a supposed transfer budget of £10m, leaving £8m. I'm not including wages in that purely because last year's £10m did not include wages either.

We also had Mowbray telling us money was available in January and he chose not to spend it. He and Waggott have also always said that the owners are backing them 100% and releasing funds when asked for. So based off those comments we really have no choice but to lay the blame for our obvious squad imbalance at Mowbray's door, irrespective of the suspicions most of us have about how transfers really operate at Ewood.

The trouble is TMs words seem to change with the wind, difficult to trust them when that's the case.

Most managers will spend every penny they are given and then some.

I think with Tosin they've been rooting around for some height and physical size for defence and also a bit more mobile and this is what they've turned up. Makes sense in many ways but also a massive gamble replacing an albeit struggling International and captain with a punt on a youngster who's been playing right back mostly.

If this lad lives up to his billing we should be fine but it'll not be without its moments then next season he's gone, we are a million quid plus lighter and probably having to rely on another kid coming in either our own or another loan.  Not really how you build a consistent defence to build a promotion team on unless of course it's a loan to buy.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

What winds me up his the managers blind spots he has for some of the players ie Bennett made captain and still right back   , Smallwood  who got the hook on Tuesday  against  Oldham  but he still thinks he can do a job . The forwards being used as  wingers , midfielders  being used as defenders. Not playing proven  players who have done it for the last two season . And todays special Tony decided  too play a different way of football this season  thats why he's  brought new players in .  Its the same team set up he played last season he's  still playing lads out of position  nothing has changed .  But his lack of respect  for the paying public  his  freighting  where not dummies  Tony lad square  pegs in round holes doesn't  work . And loses this weekend and the knives will be out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stinny1 said:

What winds me up his the managers blind spots he has for some of the players ie Bennett made captain and still right back   , Smallwood  who got the hook on Tuesday  against  Oldham  but he still thinks he can do a job . The forwards being used as  wingers , midfielders  being used as defenders. Not playing proven  players who have done it for the last two season . And todays special Tony decided  too play a different way of football this season  thats why he's  brought new players in .  Its the same team set up he played last season he's  still playing lads out of position  nothing has changed .  But his lack of respect  for the paying public  his  freighting  where not dummies  Tony lad square  pegs in round holes doesn't  work . And loses this weekend and the knives will be out

It's annoying but that's Tony Mowbray in a nutshell that's what he does any dialogue with fans of his previous clubs will confirm it.  It worked at West Brom a decade ago but maybe he was dealing with bigger money and better quality as i think for his methods that's what you really need to be successful as maybe you can buy more adaptable players.

What's ragingly clear from his time here is he isn't a horses for courses man quite the opposite although i suppose that's what he terms as modern thinking. Had to laugh when i was reading some Boro fans ranting just before Pulis left and the comment was give Mowbray 10 million and he'd get us to the Prem..... not sure he would lads but he'd fill your bench with plenty back ups !

On 15/08/2019 at 09:56, arbitro said:

I once confronted a manager who came into see me after a game to complain about some decisions so I told him I was sure I was correct. I was backed up by the other officials and assessor. On the way out I saw him and he pulled me over and said I was right but he complains about decisions most weeks and his logic was that when the referee has his team again his complaining might just buy him team a decision or two.

This is definitely a rhetorical question, arbitro; "He won't be in the away dressing room at Ewood a week tomorrow, will he?!"?

5 hours ago, stinny1 said:

What winds me up his the managers blind spots he has for some of the players ie Bennett made captain and still right back   ,  Smallwood who got the hook on Tuesday against Oldham but he still thinks he can do a job . The forwards being used as  wingers , midfielders  being used as defenders. Not playing proven  players who have done it for the last two season . And todays special Tony decided  too play a different way of football this season  thats why he's  brought new players in .  Its the same team set up he played last season he's  still playing lads out of position  nothing has changed .  But his lack of respect  for the paying public  his  freighting  where not dummies  Tony lad square  pegs in round holes doesn't  work . And loses this weekend and the knives will be out

As the League One and Two clubs can still loan players, I wondered if the team selection on Tuesday night might have had a secondary motive, viz. putting some of our 'fringe' players in the Shop window for loans to clubs in those divisions. ?

It could rebound on us us, of course by leaving our 'cupboard' even barer than it is at present.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17840625.rovers-needed-change-bid-improve-says-mowbray/

More claptrap from the Ewood Joker. 

There has to be a link missing between his thought processes and the diarrhea that he spouts: 

“If we’re talking about Charlie for example, there was no fall-out, it was very amicable, we shook hands and he understood this was a football decision not a human decision,” Mowbray explained.

“I don’t have anything against Charlie Mulgrew, he’s an amazing man and has a lot of human characteristics that I see in myself.

That may sound strange but he’s a loyal, humble guy who works hard at his job is what Charlie does every day and since pre-season, every day he’s done extra work after training”

• Like 2

Well he's right we're not standing still. We're going backwards. 

If it works then that's what matters o we attractive football. Yes a successor to Graham was needed to keep the style going long term and yes the defence needed strengthening but these are improvements on what we had Vs starting again. Another option instead of Graham, and a rock hard CB and LB and I reckon last season's style could've seen us continue to progress. (Oh and a decent keeper coach or if that failed an experienced keeper but hopefully the former would do the trick.) Instead TM has woefully overcomplicated it again. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blue blood said:

If it works then that's what matters o we attractive football. Yes a successor to Graham was needed to keep the style going long term and yes the defence needed strengthening but these are improvements on what we had Vs starting again. Another option instead of Graham, and a rock hard CB and LB and I reckon last season's style could've seen us continue to progress. (Oh and a decent keeper coach or if that failed an experienced keeper but hopefully the former would do the trick.) Instead TM has woefully overcomplicated it again.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17843351.tony-mowbray-responds-rovers-defenders-comments/

Instead of investing in a proper CB Mowbray seems happy to go with a poor LB who now doesn't want to run around so much.

It would be funny if it were not true.

11 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Yes we've definitely gone backwards. The weakest area of the pitch (defence) is now weaker and without any competition for places. The standout player in the first half of the season last year was Reed and he's not been replaced with anything near as good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

Yes we've definitely gone backwards. The weakest area of the pitch (defence) is now weaker and without any competition for places. The standout player in the first half of the season last year was Reed and he's not been replaced with anything near as good.

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

The defence is worse than last season and without enough numbers to compensate for injuries , would argue Dack and Graham being the stand out players ..

But Reed was a good player, who was played out of position too much  and will be sorely missed as the season progresses ...

I think there's a lot of speculation on here and that's fine as that's what it is here for but I think you need to be careful with it too and jumping to too many conclusions is quite easy.  Just look at @philipl (not having a go at all) saying that Lenihan might be out for a long time when, hopefully, he plays today.

There's also a lot of hyperbole in my opinion with too many going OTT.

I think TM isn't a bad manager, neither is he a very, very good manager.  I think it's very unlikely we will go down but unless something special really clicks we aren't going to finish top 6.  Most likely we will finish mid-table.  

Is that good enough?  It depends on your expectations. I don't think Venkys will be happy with 12th or 13th but 8th might be enough to persuade them to give him another season.

Even though we have lost the first two games I don't think we have been terrible, Charlton wasn't great and very frustrating but the Fulham performance was decent.  Obviously, another couple of losses will really pile on the pressure and TM does seem to be feeling it a little, but so far if you compare this season to Coyle's then there's a big difference.  I thought that season we were awful in the first two games versus Norwich and Wigan.

Overall I don't think TM is likely to take us up and if I knew Johnno was going to be really good I'd be happy for him to take over but I don't think TM deserves the sack just yet.

• Like 4

A few clamouring for Johnno as TM's successor. It's his first season as a senior coach. Have we learned nothing ? If it wasn't for the fact he once played for us, this would have no traction. In general, promoting a coach to manager embodies the Peter principle.

3 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I think there's a lot of speculation on here and that's fine as that's what it is here for but I think you need to be careful with it too and jumping to too many conclusions is quite easy.  Just look at @philipl (not having a go at all) saying that Lenihan might be out for a long time when, hopefully, he plays today.

There's also a lot of hyperbole in my opinion with too many going OTT.

I think TM isn't a bad manager, neither is he a very, very good manager.  I think it's very unlikely we will go down but unless something special really clicks we aren't going to finish top 6.  Most likely we will finish mid-table.  

Is that good enough?  It depends on your expectations. I don't think Venkys will be happy with 12th or 13th but 8th might be enough to persuade them to give him another season.

Even though we have lost the first two games I don't think we have been terrible, Charlton wasn't great and very frustrating but the Fulham performance was decent.  Obviously, another couple of losses will really pile on the pressure and TM does seem to be feeling it a little, but so far if you compare this season to Coyle's then there's a big difference.  I thought that season we were awful in the first two games versus Norwich and Wigan.

Overall I don't think TM is likely to take us up and if I knew Johnno was going to be really good I'd be happy for him to take over but I don't think TM deserves the sack just yet.

A reasonable and fair post. Personally I think TM is sailing close to the wind with some of his decisions but I don’t think it’s an obvious ‘sack him’ situation simply because of Venkys’ track record on recruiting managers.

• Like 2

Mowbray in ....

Got it right today hopefully a few pennies are finally dropping....

Mulgrew - out

Cunningham - Actual proper left back with experience - Bell isn't a left back at this level he's probably a league 1 wing back so it's time he went back there.

Gallagher - Not a fan of playing strikers on the wing but SG is a guy who CAN actually play wide right striker, Samuel couldn't and neither can Brereton so after going around the houses and wasting millions he's finally got what he craved.

Still needs to sort right back and more proper centre half cover but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

• Backroom

You have to beat the poor teams at home to have any chance of staying up, but I don't think many of us were predicting relegation this season. Progress will be better than 15th, not just staying up. Obviously good to get a win and a clean sheet today though.