BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, Amo said:

A few clamouring for Johnno as TM's successor. It's his first season as a senior coach. Have we learned nothing ? If it wasn't for the fact he once played for us, this would have no traction. In general, promoting a coach to manager embodies the Peter principle.

You are barking up the wrong tree there. It’s on the back of his achievement - and brand of football - with the development side, not him being an ex player.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

The defence is worse than last season and without enough numbers to compensate for injuries , would argue Dack and Graham being the stand out players ..

But Reed was a good player, who was played out of position too much  and will be sorely missed as the season progresses ...

This is quite clearly untrue.  Cunningham plus Toisin with Johnson in from of the back four is better than last season.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

The defence is worse than last season and without enough numbers to compensate for injuries , would argue Dack and Graham being the stand out players ..

But Reed was a good player, who was played out of position too much  and will be sorely missed as the season progresses ...

Absolute rubbish. How is the defence worse?????! Tosin looked quality on his debut and Cunningham already looks 10x the full back Bell is. 

Johnson and Travis look like they are quite a good partnership and Reed doesn't look that missed so far. Downing also seems to be a massive upgrade on Conway. 

• Like 2

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Absolute rubbish. How is the defence worse?????! Tosin looked quality on his debut and Cunningham already looks 10x the full back Bell is. 

Johnson and Travis look like they are quite a good partnership and Reed doesn't look that missed so far. Downing also seems to be a massive upgrade on Conway. 

Totally agree and hopefully further defensive reinforcements will follow in January. Travis and Johnson compliment each other so well, much better than Smallwood and Evans. Would rather have Rothwell out wide over Gallagher but his work ethic couldn't be faulted today

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I agree Cunningham is infinitely better than Bell...Downing good footballer , Tosin not seen play !!!

I stand by my comments about Reed , I was pleasantly surprised how well we defended today ...Long may it continue ...

Not sure about the keeper but time will tell...

40 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Looks as if we finally have a decent left back. 

Williams was pretty poor there, but Bell? Christ. He had more than enough chances to make it his spot, he just isn’t anywhere near good enough at this level. 

I hope too god we can make Cunningham’s move permenant. Miles ahead of the utterly useless Bell... Really impressed me today. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Amo said:

A few clamouring for Johnno as TM's successor. It's his first season as a senior coach. Have we learned nothing ? If it wasn't for the fact he once played for us, this would have no traction. In general, promoting a coach to manager embodies the Peter principle.

Sigh! I'll say it again. I don't read any clamour for Johnno to take over from TM, just a recognition, born out of experience, that this is how Venkys prefer to operate.

However, most(?) of us would have some degree of optimism because he has done so well with the under-23's.

Its not the right way to go though, I admit that. A real club would throw the position open and see what came up.

Postponed for a while anyway because WE WON! Yayyyyyyyy!!

Firstly I'm not happy but I haven't snapped yet, I'd still keep Mowbray - he's earned some good will in my eyes. 

If he makes a solid centre back out of Williams that is a masterstroke. If Downing comes good that is a great move. If Gallagher can contribute like he did yesterday that's a great asset. Johnson is a beast and we've needed one for a while. Travis has come in and looked class. Cunnigham is a big upgrade. 

The potential is there for us all to see which is frustrating.  I'd like to see Rothwell starting more for instance. However, credit deserved for getting us into this position. Hopefully we can crack on now and play with confidence. Hull is big in terms of momentum now. 

Edited by Feed the Yak
  • Like 2

It occurred to me this morning that Woodgate could be on his way to an early exit at Middlesbrough.

Would the Middlesbrough board look at Tony Mowbray's legendary status up there and the job he has done down here and consider him a worthy successor?

Would TM prefer to manage a team dear to his heart and without the Venky's shackles ?

TM still lives up there I believe....

21 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

It occurred to me this morning that Woodgate could be on his way to an early exit at Middlesbrough.

Would the Middlesbrough board look at Tony Mowbray's legendary status up there and the job he has done down here and consider him a worthy successor?

Would TM prefer to manage a team dear to his heart and without the Venky's shackles ?

I'm not sure that Woodgate currently going anywhere. Gibson will give him a proper chance after appointing him

• Like 1

Some Boro fans would love him back compared to a lot of the alternatives out there i'm sure and the majority of Rovers fans would prefer to keep him compared to the unknown Venky induced wilderness that might await.

Think in Boros case he'd more likely only be someone they'd turn to if things kept going backwards rather than seeing him as a guy who could kick them on, been there done that.

• Like 1

Sol Campbell is out there on the market. He should have been England's top scoring striking goalkeeper's defending attacking captain if he wasn't being 'held back'.

Supposedly he is also Real Madid's treble winning and England's World cup winning manager in the making.

Just sayin'.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

That would be best for all parties.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Husky said:

Sol Campbell is out there on the market. He should have been England's top scoring striking goalkeeper's defending attacking captain if he wasn't being 'held back'.

Supposedly he is also Real Madid's treble winning and England's World cup winning manager in the making.

Just sayin'.

Did an unreal job at Macclesfield to keep them up and then put together a whole new squad over the summer that now has them in fourth. Deserves a shot higher up undoubtedly.  

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

Was Woodgate on the coaching side at Middlesbrough , or was it a complete left field old boy appointment ??

He was on Pulis coaching staff. Doing alot of training sessions by the end of the season. Think Pulis knew End Of March/start of April he was leaving. 

Fans didnt like him or his moaning about lack of funds there

16 hours ago, danger19_80 said:

Did an unreal job at Macclesfield to keep them up and then put together a whole new squad over the summer that now has them in fourth. Deserves a shot higher up undoubtedly.  

Apparently he left due to not being paid properly for months. Would have still been there now to continue his good work if not

On 17/08/2019 at 18:15, Stuart said:

You are barking up the wrong tree there. It’s on the back of his achievement - and brand of football - with the development side, not him being an ex player.

We both know that managing the U23s and managing the first-team are a world apart.

Again, if not for being an ex-Rover he wouldn't be in with a shout.

• Like 1

I really don't  want the merry go round with changing manager its cost the club millions over the years . So lets wait and see i hope he's  put the new style of play to bed like the three at the back the other year.  And he's  taken something  from Saturday game and will know  play the lads in there right positions . We are still short at right back and Alan Hatton is still available he could be brought in on  a one year contract paye as you play and it would tighten the back four up. But its up too TM, keep making these silly changes and being too loyal too players and he will loses his job  

Just now, stinny1 said:

I really don't  want the merry go round with changing manager its cost the club millions over the years . So lets wait and see i hope he's  put the new style of play to bed like the three at the back the other year.  And he's  taken something  from Saturday game and will know  play the lads in there right positions . We are still short at right back and Alan Hatton is still available he could be brought in on  a one year contract paye as you play and it would tighten the back four up. But its up too TM, keep making these silly changes and being too loyal too players and he will loses his job  

I think the new style of play was just a bit of claptrap to pacify fans and maybe owners also possibly justify some of the signings odd games aside he's never strayed away from the the same old methods in the entire time he's been here.  All he's done really is just freshened it up a bit, remember when he portrayed Rayas promotion to first team keeper as him doing that so we could play it out from the back quicker and more often ?

How often did we actually do that ?   Brentford said the same when they signed him.

TM is smart enough to know you can't change things overnight with more or less the same bunch of players it's all about tweeking it as you go along but that doesn't sound interesting enough really.

So nowts really changed just hopefully they'll get better at it when they settle down if he leaves it alone that is.

Edited by tomphil

"Our team needs improving in lots of areas I would suggest and the players know that." 

How many players has this geezer signed? Is he saying that his signings have been gash? I can't see any rhyme it reason to the players that signs. I still get the feeling that it isn't down to him. 

What a mess. We're overspending on rubbish. Not strengthening the defence which is shipping goals for fun. At this rate, not only are we going down, we're going bust as well

Can anyone tell me the last time appointing and promoting an inexperienced coach from within actually worked out well for a Championship club? I'd argue it was here with Bowyer but then many people weren't happy with him and felt he underachieved. Heckingbottom at Barnsley - left them in the relegation zone. A quick look at the others. Paul Trollope at Cardiff, Kit Symons at Fulham, Woodgate at Middlesbrough, Redfern at Leeds, Moore at WBA, Wassall at Derby, Adam's at Norwich. All very much 'meh' at best. All of that lot were highly rated and respected as coaches and for doing well on the training pitch or with the kids.

Far more to it than that.

• Like 3

I would happily watch Rovers play a guts n all style of play, week in, week out, than a tippy tappy, try to walk it in style that doesn't bring results. I was as happy watching Hughes' blood and thunder stuff as I was with King Kenny's awesome wing play.  In fact, my favourite identity of Rovers was the 'Bully Boy' tag we rightfully earnt.  Everyone to a man gave their all for the shirt and that's all I ever want to see - trophies are a bonus.

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 8