BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So Bennett started at RB and Nyambe at RCB, is that what you mean? 

No I meant I checked (roughly and quickly) the last 10 games who played RB - 9x4321’s and 1x352; Bennett started five times in defence, and Nyambe 5 times, albeit one game at RCB.

Bennett may have played other positions too but I neglected to check that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

I think maybe it’s less straightforward- Nyambe offers that position and also RB.

His return from the ACN may have also impacted his pre season compared to Bennett. That’s why I’d save judgement on who is “1st choice” this season till after a lot more games 

Yes indeed, Nyambe was fit when he came back from the ACN so only needed a light pre-season to top up

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In Nyambes case that is purely because he wants Bennett at right-back and loaned 3 other centre-halves out. I don't believe it was in any way a plan that he has been thinking about for too long. 

So basically Nyambe goes from 1st choice right-back to 4th choice CB under Mowbray.  All so Bennett can be shoe horned in out of position. 

Where else would you see it?? 

If the manager believes Bennett is better than Nyambe at right-back that is his decision to make.  I think you would see players being picked that fans don't agree with at every club. 

• Like 2

Just now, Parsonblue said:

If the manager believes Bennett is better than Nyambe at right-back that is his decision to make.  I think you would see players being picked that fans don't agree with at every club. 

But not quite so clearly and appallingly in the wrong. Being honest Parson do you really think Bennett is better at RB? I think the evidence is pretty damning. 

It might be his decision to make but it doesn't make it the correct one whatsoever. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 2

Just now, Blue blood said:

But not quite so clearly and appallingly in the wrong. 

It might be his decision to make but it doesn't make it the correct one whatsoever. 

If might not in your eyes but if the manager believes it to be the correct one then its the correct one for him.  At the end of the day he will stand or fall by HIS decisions as every manager does.

Bennett isn't a right back though. That's the issue. Hence why he gets found out there time and time again.

No doubt fans disagree with managers decisions and thats one thing, but then there is playing players out of position, which is another thing entirely. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 6

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bennett isn't a right back though. That's the issue. Hence why he gets found out there time and time again.

No doubt fans disagree with managers decisions and thats one thing, but then there is playing players out of position, which is another thing entirely. 

Players change position all the time - one of the best teams, possibly the best team, I've ever seen in blue and white was made up of players who were switched from one position to another. 

Players change position all the time - one of the best teams, possibly the best team, I've ever seen in blue and white was made up of players who were switched from one position to another. 

Quality footballers can adapt and adapt quickly. However Elliott Bennett is a rank average wide midfielder playing at right back for the first time in his career, with the wholly expected problems as a result.

Of course TM is free to play whoever he wants wherever he wants, however we are also free to say his decision making is becoming increasingly pig-headed to the detriment of the team we all passionately want to do well.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

If might not in your eyes but if the manager believes it to be the correct one then its the correct one for him.  At the end of the day he will stand or fall by HIS decisions as every manager does.

Evasive! 

And that's not true. I may believe the correct decision to get to Scotland is to head south from Leeds but it doesn't make it the right decision. 

What do you think the evidence shows? 

• Like 2

Not all players and clearly some players are more suited to some positions than others. Granted changing positions happens and works - Henry to striker and Emerton to RB are 2 which jump out to my mind, but many don't work as players aren't suited to these new positions. 

For example Bereton is struggling out wide, which isn't really fair to him. Bennett is struggling at RB and I suggest the same - it's not fair on the player. You would rightly recoil in horror if I said we should play Smallwood up front or Graham as a winger and rightly so. So just because some players can shift positions it's very clear that many can't or shouldn't and it can be bad management  I'd put Bennett in that category. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Gallagher and Brereton cost £11 million, yet I bet you any money Graham will end up playing striker with the 2 lads being used off the bench to the wing. We will have a loanee and 2 converted full-backs playing centre back. A midfielder right-back. There are good players who are fluid and can play in different roles. With our current team it is happening  due to an unbalanced spending of the transfer budget or blind loyalty from the manager to lads who aren't performing and have publicly come out saying it's not their fault that the manager picks them in said positions! 

In my opinion it's over complicating things where there is no need. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think there is a huge difference between right back and right wing back to be honest

Cunningham plays on the left. There is a massive difference between a wing back and a full back. A full backs main job should be as a defender. A half back should be a connection between defence and attack.

4 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

Why apologise? I’ve never had perfect English, and you’re never too old to learn!  ;) 

Because I used to be a languages teacher so I try to rein in my pedantic tendencies now I'm retired. Occasionally though, I have a relapse. 

• Like 2

Just now, rigger said:

Cunningham plays on the left. There is a massive difference between a wing back and a full back. A full backs main job should be as a defender. A half back should be a connection between defence and attack.

There really isn't! Especially not nowadays. Full backs are meant to do so much. Hard to imagine with our full-backs, but generally with good teams, this is the case. There is absolutely no reason why a good full-back couldn't play left-back and vice versa 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Quality footballers can adapt and adapt quickly. However Elliott Bennett is a rank average wide midfielder playing at right back for the first time in his career, with the wholly expected problems as a result.

Of course TM is free to play whoever he wants wherever he wants, however we are also free to say his decision making is becoming increasingly pig-headed to the detriment of the team we all passionately want to do well.

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173858-elliott-bennett-merged/

Some discussion about him leaving BCFC due being used as a RWB. Sounds nonsensical to me, probably just a better contract.

Does show he has been used more defensively on the right previously, and with a few years more experience - not unthinkable to suggest that’s his main position now with time against him.

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Evasive! 

And that's not true. I may believe the correct decision to get to Scotland is to head south from Leeds but it doesn't make it the right decision. 

What do you think the evidence shows? 

To be fair the "evidence" shows we conceded less goals per game and won more points per game with Bennett at right back than Nyambe.

I'd still pick Nyambe mind.

Edited by XLM

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173858-elliott-bennett-merged/

Some discussion about him leaving BCFC due being used as a RWB. Sounds nonsensical to me, probably just a better contract.

Does show he has been used more defensively on the right previously, and with a few years more experience - not unthinkable to suggest that’s his main position now with time against him.

So he played a few games as a wing back years ago? 

He probably would be better suited as a wingback but as we haven’t as yet played 3 at the back and he’s been playing as an actual full back, I don’t see the relevance?

24 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There really isn't! Especially not nowadays. Full backs are meant to do so much. Hard to imagine with our full-backs, but generally with good teams, this is the case. There is absolutely no reason why a good full-back couldn't play left-back and vice versa 

I would say we might have a prime example at Rovers. In my opinion Bennett may make a decent wing back, but he is an awful fullback 

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17832521.mowbray-missing-rovers-transfer-target-fulham/

It's always possible Mowbray is simply setting out the reality of the situation. Not everyone in life finds it necessary to send out coded messages and spin.

In another thread I commented on my view that PL clubs should take responsibility for developing the players they believe in. PL clubs should not expect lower league clubs to do it for them.

For me this interview confirms the poor attitude of PL clubs and the manager is explaining the issues clubs face.

The loan system is being abused by the PL clubs at the expense of the EFL clubs. This article is far from making excuses about our likely finish.

• Like 5

Just now, Mattyblue said:

So he played a few games as a wing back years ago? 

He probably would be better suited as a wingback but as we haven’t as yet played 3 at the back and he’s been playing as an actual full back, I don’t see the relevance?

RWB and RB are similar? That’s quite stark relevance in my world MB

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

RWB and RB are similar? That’s quite stark relevance in my world MB

Not relevant as we don’t play with wingbacks, maybe he’d do a better job as one, who knows. The only evidence we have is that he’s a poor full back.