BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

While the sentiments have been expressed elsewhere for quite a while, it’s the topic title and date that makes the message board seem a parody of itself.

Nobody who decides such things is listening, or probably ever will listen, so it’s just a tantrum room.

The defence and Mowbray’s failure to address it is clearly a big issue. More so, in my mind, is that his two signature signings up front need to get 30 goals between them to justify the fees paid and he can’t even manage to get them on the field at the same time. If anything prompts action in Pune sometime it’ll be that, IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Nobody who decides such things is listening, or probably ever will listen, so it’s just a tantrum room.

Of course it is. It's fans letting off steam and venting their feelings at events that are largely out of their control.

This messageboard won't get Mowbray sacked but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be debated.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Silas said:

Although this thread is called "Mowbray Out", it's hardly full of people claiming TM should be immediately sacked is it? 

It's full of people voicing concerns about the manager, often long held concerns, not just about 1 game of football,  but about a a whole load of different areas of the club - recruitment, team sheets, tactics, substitutions etc etc

I think most people would accept maybe 10 games or so would probably be a sensible scale to measure this season and the manager.  

But this thread now exists to continue that ongoing assessment as those games progress.

And looking at our fixture list, our squad list, and TM's insistence on doing exactly the same thing week in, week out - I would expect this thread to get very busy over the next few months.

I hope I'm wrong though. As I'm sure do most Rovers fans. 

The mere fact there’s a thread being posted in under this name is somewhat embarrassing from my perspective. Equally - if the thread was titled differently, it would mean something significantly different. There may be only a handful wanting an immediate sacking, but it’s still a handful of people (in my opinion) showing a completely over reactionary, vacuous and stupid view point. If that’s hard for some to accept, that’s not my problem Silas!

Ive never once stated the manager shouldn’t be questioned but that’s the typical response for certain people who do not like to see their assumed woes questioned!

Like I said to DE. There are people who seek out the negatives. It’s no coincidence many examples of that sort of poster will gladly jump on the reactionary “Mowbray out” bandwagon.

Its obvious to me, generally fans are far more balanced than this example.

2 hours ago, Neal said:

And yet you fail to understand the point that most of us know that he won't be sacked after one game... Carry on fella. 

Why would that affect my opinion that those already making this judgement is wrong?

The point is simple Neal. If you’re so reactionary, you’re response to yesterday is “enough is enough”; you know literally nothing about football. If that’s so hard to take, id stop reading alternative thoughts! 

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Why would that affect my opinion that those already making this judgement is wrong?

The point is simple Neal. If you’re so reactionary, you’re response to yesterday is “enough is enough”; you know literally nothing about football. If that’s so hard to take, id stop reading alternative thoughts! 

Enough was enough months ago. He's not the man to take us forward. As I said earlier on new season but the same old dross being served up by Mowbray, still showing the opposition to much respect, still the same terrible back 4, still playing numerous players out of position, still tinkering with formations and Rothwell and Nyambe still on the bench. 

He should have been sacked before this season had even started instead we have had another transfer window where the defence has been neglected.

• Like 2

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Enough was enough months ago. He's not the man to take us forward. As I said earlier on new season but the same old dross being served up by Mowbray, still showing the opposition to much respect, still the same terrible back 4, still playing numerous players out of position, still tinkering with formations and Rothwell and Nyambe still on the bench. 

He should have been sacked before this season had even started instead we have had another transfer window where the defence has been neglected.

See at least this point of view accepts that any decision on changing manager is well out of date.

I happen to think he’s done more right than wrong to date, but that can change quickly - like continuing to bring graham on to move Gally out wide. 

He’s never been the top tactician people think that a moderate summary of his impact suggests. 

Even a proper anti Mowbray view like yours EA, must accept that this entire proposal should be on ice till at least a handful of games in? 

• Backroom

The mere fact there’s a thread being posted in under this name is somewhat embarrassing from my perspective. Equally - if the thread was titled differently, it would mean something significantly different. There may be only a handful wanting an immediate sacking, but it’s still a handful of people (in my opinion) showing a completely over reactionary, vacuous and stupid view point. If that’s hard for some to accept, that’s not my problem Silas!

Ive never once stated the manager shouldn’t be questioned but that’s the typical response for certain people who do not like to see their assumed woes questioned!

Like I said to DE. There are people who seek out the negatives. It’s no coincidence many examples of that sort of poster will gladly jump on the reactionary “Mowbray out” bandwagon.

Its obvious to me, generally fans are far more balanced than this example.

You're not a fan of the Mowbray Out thread, I see that.

No-ones forcing you to be in it.

You're welcome to start a positive, Mowbray In thread where some of the good things about the club can be discussed. The promising young players we have, Bradley Johnson's debut etc 

• Like 2

I can't understand it. He doesn't seem a foolish geezer from the things he says. But my god, he transfers are gash, of at least a mixed bag, the squad is unbalanced and the line-ups don't make sense. 

Is he being told who to sell and who to buy and who to pick? 

If we bin him, who do we get in? Someone like coyle again? I think damien Johnson would do a good job, just a feeling. 

In all honesty, this club won't get anywhere while venkys are still here anyway

Edited by broadsword
  • Like 3

Just now, broadsword said:

I can't understand it. He doesn't seem a foolish geezer from the things he says. But my god, he transfers are gash, of at least a mixed bag, the squad is unbalanced and the line-ups don't make sense. 

If we bin him, who do we get in? Someone like coyle again? I think damien Johnson would do a good job, just a feeling. 

Ah, Loons. The root of all evil. TM has had his India trip. When/if they make their 6-monthly review of the table and find us somewhere other than the bottom three, they will release 5 million for another striker.

Just now, Silas said:

You're not a fan of the Mowbray Out thread, I see that.

No-ones forcing you to be in it.

You're welcome to start a positive, Mowbray In thread where some of the good things about the club can be discussed. The promising young players we have, Bradley Johnson's debut etc 

You mean stick to threads where the main viewpoint is something I agree with? :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Ah, Loons. The root of all evil. TM has had his India trip. When/if they make their 6-monthly review of the table and find us somewhere other than the bottom three, they will release 5 million for another striker.

Yes, they have no idea what they're doing and don't trust anyone. 

So they'd rather carry on looking for their keys where there's a street light, even though they dropped them in the dark half a mile down the road. 

There's no point of having any hope until these people have left

Edited by broadsword
  • Like 4

See at least this point of view accepts that any decision on changing manager is well out of date.

I happen to think he’s done more right than wrong to date, but that can change quickly - like continuing to bring graham on to move Gally out wide. 

He’s never been the top tactician people think that a moderate summary of his impact suggests. 

Even a proper anti Mowbray view like yours EA, must accept that this entire proposal should be on ice till at least a handful of games in? 

I first called for him to go after the capitulation at Elland Road and pretty much everything that has happened since then has only strengthened my opinion. I would get rid of him now because for me he is not the man to take us forward whether we win or lose the next 5 games my opinion will remain the same, as this is a view formed over a long period and about more than just results.

I would agree it is not an ideal time to do it after one game but for me it is about more than one game it's about the last 9 months and that is why he shouldn't have lasted the summer. I think we are heading down the wrong road with Mowbray, better to act now than later when we are even further away from our intended destination.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, broadsword said:

I'll never ever believe under this ownership that any manager has 100% control over who to buy/sell or even play some of the stuff that still goes on is beyond the realms of just bad judgement calls by managers.  The presence and actual role of the middleman/messenger boy also intrigues me although i believe TM is no dodgy geezer but he did end up here off the scrapheap via the same channels as some of the others.

The mantra always seems to be investment to sell in favour of focusing on building an actual balanced team to go for promotion despite chucking millions and some big contracts around. Also players before points, keep the squad happy keep rotating and getting mins into players, keep the seniors happy.

Is the ownership or whoever runs it really that bothered about promotion ?

Edited by tomphil

• Moderation Lead

I don’t really want him sacked, but he’s got four days to sign more defenders.

Mulgrew is toast and Bennett needs to stop being selected at right back. 

Lenihan really needs to stop with those long diagonal balls. When he clipped one over Bell’s head in injury time, I cleared off.

It’s so frustrating, as we all know the defence is awful and so does the manager and yet he still doesn’t help himself with team selections. 

Joe Rothwell not starting again was unbelievable. What more does he have to do?

• Like 5

• Backroom
Just now, davulsukur said:

@DE. on absolute ? in this thread. Some great posts.

Thanks, although I'm kind of sad it's mostly just discussing ways the current manager annoys me ? I'd genuinely love to have a pint with Mowbray and get some insight into his thought process, particularly with the playing strikers on the wings method. Although I get the feeling the conversation would ultimately end with "you're really overthinking this, Tony". 

22 hours ago, DE. said:

I just wish he'd stick to his word. I'd really like for a supporter to do a podcast interview or something with him, discuss these things he's said and ask what has changed. He may still come out with nonsense but right now it just feels like he's continually lying about doing things, then failing to deliver and saying it's okay. 

Mowbray would do well at Westminster. Tell the proles what they want to hear, promise to spend fortunes to fix their grievances, and pledge a better future that they know they cannot possibly deliver.

Sound familiar? 

• Like 3

What would it look like if Mowbray lost the dressing room?

Spineless defeats at home to relegation favourites?

Lack of shithousery on display?

Heads going down after falling behind and never looking like scoring a late goal?

Relegation form over 20 games?

It's not the fans that Mowbray needs to win over. It's his players.

I can't advocate Mowbray out now. Totally the wrong timing, though I do get the concern and share a lot of it.

The time to next judge him (as opposed to just discuss or debate his actions) is after 10 league games, when matters inside the club & in the division have settled down a little. There is no doubting that this week is massive for him in terms of signings in & out, loan or permanent, then he has a tough looking run of fixtures to negotiate. I think by then if we've been served up with more of the same & there's no sign of progression then at best he'll be on very thin ice with most fans (me included), if not the owners.

I still believe he will actively look to improve the team this week with at least 1 solid CB. Not bothered if permanent or on loan. He's more than hinted at such, some ITKers on here have posited it and we certainly need it!

TM deserves huge credit for what he's done to date, now he needs to push on or accept the consequences. He'll know that, having been in the game do long. And I really don't think he'll be immune from a sacking either if Venkys aren't happy with the season's developments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

Can't blame Venkys for team selection, tactics, substitutions?

I think Mowbray is under more pressure now from our owners than he ever has been before.  

I think there is a points target for August and I also think the Gallagher signing was heavily caveated by the Venky's.

It would be no surprise to me if was gone by the end of the month.

Just now, Mercer said:

I think Mowbray is under more pressure now from our owners than he ever has been before.  

I think there is a points target for August and I also think the Gallagher signing was heavily caveated by the Venky's.

It would be no surprise to me if was gone by the end of the month.

I don't see this - in my view Mowbray is under no pressure at all from above.

His remit is most likely to keep Rovers out of trouble and safe in the Championship - hence the conservative team selections and lack of risk taking.

Let's face it, Mowbray got a nose-bleed when we reached the dizzy heights of 7th last season.

Why should he put his nice sinecure at risk by raising expectations? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

Christ on a bike, you're still pedalling this argument of people being "reactionary" when some of us have been saying this over the past 8 months, you've been told this countless times. I'm not repeating myself to you, please learn to read posts yourself before telling others what and what not to read. 

Edited by Neal

14 hours ago, 47er said:

No! It absolutely isn't. Plenty of fans saying exactly the same thing on the way out. Didn't hear anyone defend TM.

I didn't hear anyone criticise the manager. Seems to me there are plenty on here who should put their money where their mouth is. Apply for the vacancy if it arises. It's very easy to shout from the sidelines with very little knowledge of the real pressures, issues and daily workings within the club.

• Like 1