BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, K-Hod said:

Because he was good in league one and less effective in a higher league.

It's not that complicated, to be fair. 

Just now, RV Blue said:

Don’t know why some think we’re a charity.

I think both of you may be a bit too expectant of how quick a squad should turn over.

To me it seems perfectly appropriate to have Evans/Smallwood as backups - and I doubt both would’ve been put onto mega wages either.

Evans fine (he will be one of our top earners, by the way, he was signed in the parachute days and has earned 50 international caps since).

Smallwood can’t make the bench and that’s with Davenport injured.

He should have left for his own career if nothing else.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Evans fine (he will be one of our top earners, by the way, he was signed in the parachute days and has earned 50 international caps since).

Still, with Travis being relatively green - I’d say Smallwood was the nearest to his “type” - Evans being even less likely to put a foot in but both inferior to Lewis.

Davenport has had numerous injuries. Had both lads left, and Travis/Johnson had a knock - who plays? 

The main bone of contention over the summer was lack of defensive cover, thus I’m happy we’ve got such midfield depth.

You may well be right about Richie, but maybe he wants to try his hardest to get better here? A manager, fans and club he obviously loves, even if his ability has been usurped.

Though if he’d have left you'd have praised TM for his ‘evolution of the team’, I’d wager!

I do find that a bit patronising if I’m honest MB.

If he and Smallwood had left with only Johnson in, I know exactly what I would’ve thought. Especially in the aftermath of Davenports most recent knock.

I’m taking about Smallwood, not both of them. 

He’d gone back to Rotherham, say, and you’d be on here slagging off TM over it? 

Context of other business is key. Had Evans stayed, and Richie left - I don’t think I would’ve been too fussed, but I’m not massively bothered either way.

Obviously hindsight helps when you’ve 50+ games to play, but I’m sure we’d both be pulling our hair out if either BJ/LT get injured and we’ve only have Evans for a huge chunk of the season. With both, you’ve at least different pro’s/con’s between them - even if we’d all agree they aren’t good enough first XI.

14 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Still, with Travis being relatively green - I’d say Smallwood was the nearest to his “type” - Evans being even less likely to put a foot in but both inferior to Lewis.

Davenport has had numerous injuries. Had both lads left, and Travis/Johnson had a knock - who plays? 

The main bone of contention over the summer was lack of defensive cover, thus I’m happy we’ve got such midfield depth.

You may well be right about Richie, but maybe he wants to try his hardest to get better here? A manager, fans and club he obviously loves, even if his ability has been usurped.

This is pure speculation but when Smallwood got taken off after 50 something minutes versus Oldham and trudged around half the pitch with his head down I thought to myself that he must be gutted knowing it was possibly his last chance to impress TM and he had failed miserably.  I'd guess that the fact he was taken off quite early and hasn't been in the squad means that TM must think he's surplus to requirements.  I think Evans is a much more able player even though he lacks Richie's heart, and even though I'm not a big fan of Cory's I do think he's had some very good games during his time here just not enough.  If Johnson and Travis were to get injured I think Bennett is also an option (although TM seems to be a fan of him at right back) but I also wonder if it might mean a chance for Brad Lyons (I've not seen him play) after all he's not the youngest and has a season in the Scottish prem behind him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhayhurst said:

How would Darragh Lenihan cope at right back? Thus Cunningham, williams, tosin , Lenihan?

Better than Bennet?

I think you have him left back there with Cunningham right

As for your question, it doesn't matter if he is better than Bennett, he shouldn't be right -back. 

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course he should. I think that’s what the manager expected to happen. May still do before the month is out.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think you have him left back there with Cunningham right

As for your question, it doesn't matter if he is better than Bennett, he shouldn't be right -back. 

Okay agreed Lenihan and Williams are clearly our best central option. No debate there.

however if Tosin doesn’t play imo come January he will be recalled quite rightly by MC.

Bennet is clearly a weak link... so I pose for some not all games should we consider giving Tosin game time and including Lenihan in the thinking.

interested to know how you’d solve giving Tosin a run to meet loan obligations 

6 hours ago, markhayhurst said:

How would Darragh Lenihan cope at right back? Thus Cunningham, williams, tosin , Lenihan?

Better than Bennet?

When you get a good CB partnership you keep playing them together until one of them is injured. It’s one of the main places on the pitch where, together with the goalkeeper, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s talked about ‘chemistry’ between the two Irishmen and how important it is at centre half, so presumably Tosin is out the side for the foreseeable...

Which would pose the question What happens come January if he doesn’t play and is recalled bringing Mulgrew back???

It doesn't really matter about Tosin he'll have to wait his turn and if he goes back he goes back they'll just have to shape themselves and get someone else.  When you're keeping clean sheets and both are your full time players it's a no brainer to me.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s talked about ‘chemistry’ between the two Irishmen and how important it is at centre half, so presumably Tosin is out the side for the foreseeable...

You would expect Lenihan and William's to keep the partnership going. They could go to 3 centre backs with Tosin and with Bennett and Bell as wing backs. Bell excelled in this role at Fleetwood and with Cunninghsm not eligible could be one of his last chances to shine. Certainly will be interesting as to whom is picked on Saturday. 

12 hours ago, Gary C said:

You would expect Lenihan and William's to keep the partnership going. They could go to 3 centre backs with Tosin and with Bennett and Bell as wing backs. Bell excelled in this role at Fleetwood and with Cunninghsm not eligible could be one of his last chances to shine. Certainly will be interesting as to whom is picked on Saturday. 

But again, why fix something if its not broke (currently and on recent form)? We shouldn't be messing around too much with formations just to accommodate a player who is on loan when we have just won three on the trot doing what we are doing. 

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

But again, why fix something if its not broke (currently and on recent form)? We shouldn't be messing around too much with formations just to accommodate a player who is on loan when we have just won three on the trot doing what we are doing. 

Only saying as most premier league clubs have clauses regarding game time. If not selected and hes recalled we will be very thin on the ground for defensive options

Don't get why people are suggesting different solutions that involving breaking up aspects of the team that are working. Williams and Lenihan have done well at CB, yes I appreciate we are short at left back, that Cardiff are a big side, but we shouldnt break up them 2 within a back 4 unless their form dips or one gets injured. Downing was superb on the left on Tuesday, theres no need to move him either.

Also, dont understand this desperation to not upset Man City by ensuring we get Tosin back into the team ASAP, whether it be by formation changes, moving Williams out to left back or even randomly bringing in him on in midfield. If Williams and Lenihan continued their form up until January, no one, whether it be the player or Man City could expect us to change it, if that meant incurring financial penalties, then so be it if it means continuing with a winning formula, and if it meant they recalled him, fine we will get someone else. As it is, I'd be amazed if firstly their form maintained right throughout and we continued plucking out clean sheets, and also both have history of injuries, so Tosin will get another chance, especially with us so light in that position with only 3 players.