BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Same old same old, very Bowyeresqe as in if his main men click they tend to get us a result but when they don't it's just same old same old nobody else tends to step up often enough.

Also the defensive boogeyman returns after a couple of clean sheets, again no surprise at all.

• Like 2

I would not openly advocate firing Mowbray as he has done his part in restoring the club to some level of stability. However, it’s painfully clear that we won’t go any further with him in charge than at best mid table. 

The powers that be have to decide where they want Blackburn Rovers to be in 1, 3, 5 years time, and what is the best way to get there.

unfortunately, the problematic status quo seems to be that the powers that be are Waggott, Mowbrays chum. Therefore, him leaving soon seems unlikely regardless of results or performances. 

Id just like a team with a clear identity to get behind, which has been missing since Hughes, dare I say it even Allardyce, as ugly as it was. 10 years ago now.  Even in the kean and bowyer years, it was easy to blame Venkys. Now Mowbray has brought the level of stability, the blame mostly seems to lie with him.

Perhaps I’ve always been relatively spoilt with the Rovers teams I’ve seen since the 90s, and I should now accept that my team is basically not all that, and just not that good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SamTheLeedsRover said:

I would not openly advocate firing Mowbray as he has done his part in restoring the club to some level of stability. However, it’s painfully clear that we won’t go any further with him in charge than at best mid table. 

The powers that be have to decide where they want Blackburn Rovers to be in 1, 3, 5 years time, and what is the best way to get there.

unfortunately, the problematic status quo seems to be that the powers that be are Waggott, Mowbrays chum. Therefore, him leaving soon seems unlikely regardless of results or performances. 

Id just like a team with a clear identity to get behind, which has been missing since Hughes, dare I say it even Allardyce, as ugly as it was. 10 years ago now.  Even in the kean and bowyer years, it was easy to blame Venkys. Now Mowbray has brought the level of stability, the blame mostly seems to lie with him.

Perhaps I’ve always been relatively spoilt with the Rovers teams I’ve seen since the 90s, and I should now accept that my team is basically not all that, and just not that good.

Apart from  a good spell in the 90s that been what I've seen since the 60s.

Every year that passes brings us one step closer to Venky's pulling the plug. When that happens, Rovers will follow Bolton and Notts County into freefall and face the possibility of extinction. It's not scaremongering, it's the reality of the situation. When we were an established, well-oiled Premier League club we couldn't attract any serious buyers other than the jokers we're lumbered with now. No one will want to salvage a debt-ridden championship basketcase that probably has more skeletons than a graveyard. The only way Rovers can secure their long-term future is with Premier League football.

What's the plan? Spin the wheel and risk another Coyle or keep hoping Mowbray stumbles on the winning formula? 

• Like 3

Well TM dropped a clanger for me today. He can't legislate for silly defensive errors - although their regularity does bring questions to the coaching - but he can play wingers on the correct side. Every time we've seen Downing and Armstrong on the wrong side we struggle. It isn't rocket science - don't do it. Make the most of Downings crossing and Armstrong being on his favoured foot. TM really isn't helping himself with decisions like that. 

• Like 1

He doesn’t seem to be getting the best out of his players. Just the odd spark here and there.

His team selections remain head scratchers. Like every individual has been specifically selected, positioned and tasked to nullify the opposition threat rather than building a team for others to fear.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, philipl said:

And that is what is why those of us who were fighting what was happening in 2011/12 are condescending to the griping of today.

When did you give up fighting and become apathetic?

They are still here and the club is going nowhere. Don't care that they pay the bills, they have no interest in Rovers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amo said:

No one will want to salvage a debt-ridden championship basketcase that probably has more skeletons than a graveyard.

I agree with your sentiment but I'm not sure about this bit. Football Ventures bought Bolton.

When Venkys decide to leave we face two problems. Are there skeletons in the cupboard? The quality) background of the buyer.

If Venkys decide to leave I don't think money will be the main issue.

• Like 1

I disagree. Venky's will put up the 'for sale' sign and stop putting money in. The club will borrow to stay afloat until it can borrow no more. No-one will rescue the club with a secured debt >150mio quid. We will have to be put into administration and knowing these owners probably liquidated before getting rid of them. Then we might get a rescue bid but it might also be too late at that point. 

We need to be challenging for the premier league to keep their interest or more accurately their cash, if Mowbray cant get us anywhere near the top 6 this season then it's time for someone new next year in my opinion. So far results suggest a similar season to the last one, if that continues I would fire him in March to give the new person time to evaluate the squad prior to the summer.

• Like 1

Targets, be they the next 6, 10, 12 or whatever games are just part of the greater Flex now in the Rovers DNA. Its a moving picture comprehended only by master tacticians, which counts me out.

Unlike our manager I do not operate in a time warp: “We need to see where we are after 12 games, because the opponents we’ve played after our first six games are all, probably bar a couple, top-half or top-six candidates."

I am rewatching the original Twin Peaks if that helps......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr X said:

I don't believe we are a top 6 side and need strenghting in a few area's..

Yep. Tony seemingly ignoring those weaknesses too. He’s playing the long game here, getting a good 5 years out of us at least without any pressure whatsoever. He should be sacked for not improving the defence 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Based on his transfers at Stoke waste it on Berahino

You'd like to think he'd start at the back he'd have a totally different remit here than there and perhaps they could afford slightly more exotic punts.  Half that amount has already been wasted here on one player....sorry potential player or substitute in real terms.