BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, DE. said:

It's just a thread to discuss TM in general at this point. Should probably be renamed something like "Tony Mowbray discussion", but it's already been renamed once...

I think it prob needs re-naming mate. “Mowbray out” cannot be on the mind of any Rovers fan.

• Like 3

I was a big critic after the first few games, but thankfully things have got better. Holtby was a good signing out of the blue and maybe we'll do better than last season. I still don't think we'll challenge for promotion, and Tony is probably not the right one to do so but with the squad starting to work together, we could avoid something like that horrendous run we had last season.

• Like 1

Mowbray has said Tosin and Rothwell were both going to start and that change of line up and formation was forced very late.

Also said he will be rotating his starting line up and players will be benched who won't expect to be to give others chances but also to maintain intensity of performance from everyone in every game over a long season.

Interestingly he said Tosin is not used to the physical intensity now being demanded of him.

Edited by philipl

Its amazing what a couple of wins and a new signing does for morale of fans isn't it? Lets not forget, people were saying similar things at the end of Janurary last season when we were on the edge of play offs. Then the bottom fell out of the season and looked what happened.

Potentially this season feels different and I personally feel more positive but there still is potential of a West brom defensive performance and a lack of goals from his big money forwards that needs addresssing before I change my mind about big Tone.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

There is some absolutely spectacular about turns on our manager on this board! You know who you are. 

Well I haven't seen much! I've seen some triumphalism though, which I detest.

My view is a long-term based one, it doesn't change because we win a couple of games.

I don't expect us to make the play-offs just like I don't expect Evans to become our favourite player. 

I look forward to us fluking a brilliant manager one day just like burnley did.

• Like 2

End of the day all you ever hope to see from a team is improvement year on year.

I think we are now starting to see it. Players that are not of the required standard or over the hill are being phased out (would’ve been easier without that round of fat contract renewals last season, but hey ho), and players with experience and improved quality are being brought in.

He (or club policy?) has made some almighty ricketts, BB being the prime example, but can I ‘see what he’s trying to do’ with the other ins and outs and systems? I can. Are they a together and committed unit playing for their manager? They are, and with no other managers on the horizon and no confidence in these owners appointing someone suitable either, that will do for me.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Most of the fans on here who expressed concerns about Mowbray will be happy to be proved wrong because, surprise surprise they are desperate to see Rovers doing well. And I am one of those who had doubts but there is going to be some taking of moral high ground by some posters which I find sad.

I don't get carried away though and I know that our bi polar form of last season can be around the corner.

• Like 9

Just now, arbitro said:

Most of the fans on here who expressed concerns about Mowbray will be happy to be proved wrong because, surprise surprise they are desperate to see Rovers doing well. And I am one of those who had doubts but there is going to be some taking of moral high ground by some posters which I find sad.

I don't get carried away though and I know that our bi polar form of last season can be around the corner.

Perfectly put!

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There is no justification in calling for any managers head after one game. People will try, tag on last season say things like“I’ve always felt like this”, which is exactly the point about being close minded.

The reality though - whether you see little or lots of value in a manager, there are appropriate windows to sensibly move one on, with certain owners this can be borderline impossible.

Its not about some “I told you so” nonsense, it’s about the opinion that the reaction was embarrassing.

Still is. Thankfully those with the ability to change the thread titles are in agreement.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DE. said:

Cut out the bickering please guys. 

Didn’t see any bickering personally, but you did cut out a key point.

Just to re-iterate, I am of the opinion that it’s extremely unwise to be reactive towards big decisions (in anything) hence why I still can’t get my head round the way that discourse started in this thread.

90 minutes into a new season. 

If it had been continued from other manager threads, or discussed from a “writings been on the wall, thus time is running out” - maybe I wouldn’t have cringed my head off?

I wanted the title changed over a month ago and as I said then, I felt it made the first page of the football forum “super-over-reactive and unpalatable”. I also think it’s disrespectful, makes us sound straight out of Gateshead or even Arsenal fan TV..

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Just to re-iterate, I am of the opinion that it’s extremely unwise to be reactive towards big decisions (in anything) hence why I still can’t get my head round the way that discourse started in this thread.

If it had been continued from other manager threads, or discussed from a “writings been on the wall, thus time is running out” - maybe I wouldn’t have cringed my head off?

I wanted the title changed over a month ago and as I said then, I felt it made the first page of the football forum “super-over-reactive and unpalatable”. I also think it’s disrespectful, makes us sound straight out of Gateshead or even Arsenal fan TV..

The reason you don't see bickering is because we hide a lot of it fairly quickly if one of us is around. 

The title topic is changed now, and there was a lot of good discussion on the feeling towards Mowbray at the start of the season. Some fans were on the extreme end of the scale wanting him removed, most were somewhere in the middle unsure as to whether he'd gotten it right over the summer, and there were also a fair few who felt the idea of criticising Mowbray so early on was ridiculous. Anybody who takes the time to read the thread will see that. Diverse views are absolutely fine - personal attacks and generalisations are not. As long as the ball is being played as opposed to the man then there is no problem with anybody expressing their opinion no matter how out of sync it is with the general feeling.

• Like 2

The Tony Mowbray debate started originally at the start of the season were in League one when we had lost to Doncaster and Southend NOT had the start of this season. Tone has done good and bad things every season he has been here. Its a question of has he has done more good or bad that is the debate. 

Personally feel that on the whole the equibrilium is finely balanced and as such this season is a really key one. Previously Ive always been on the side which felt it has been more bad than good but as I said earlier this season feels different.

Asking people to stop bickering in a debate topic seems strange if things don't get personal like it has in the past.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

The reason you don't see bickering is because we hide a lot of it fairly quickly if one of us is around. 

The title topic is changed now, and there was a lot of good discussion on the feeling towards Mowbray at the start of the season. Some fans were on the extreme end of the scale wanting him removed, most were somewhere in the middle unsure as to whether he'd gotten it right over the summer, and there were also a fair few who felt the idea of criticising Mowbray so early on was ridiculous. Anybody who takes the time to read the thread will see that. Diverse views are absolutely fine - personal attacks and generalisations are not. As long as the ball is being played as opposed to the man then there is no problem with anybody expressing their opinion no matter how out of sync it is with the general feeling.

Precisely - I used to laugh at Geordies for their expectancy, their flip flop mentality towards managers and players. 

The initial wave of dissatisfaction in a bad result is bound to sharpen the tone/terms of a reaction but I’ll never get my “bonce” round many initial views in this thread, and without generalising too much, many leant towards out rather than in, which I still find mind-blowing.  

• Like 1

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The Tony Mowbray debate started originally at the start of the season were in League one when we had lost to Doncaster and Southend

Just to add; it started the day he arrived. This thread however was the latest iteration and came right after the Charlton game.

As for good and bad - you’re absolutely spot on and the debate will always rage on. After the two games you mentioned, and the Oldham away defeat - lowest point of his tenure for me.

Just to add; it started the day he arrived. This thread however was the latest iteration and came right after the Charlton game.

As for good and bad - you’re absolutely spot on and the debate will always rage on. After the two games you mentioned, and the Oldham away defeat - lowest point of his tenure for me.

Totally agree about Oldham game. Still cannot forgive him for that game and some of his team selections suggest that its only a matter of time before we see a repeat.

Oldham was awful, we looked like 11 blokes who had just met on the carpark outside at 2-30.

End of the day this is a forum with about 50 regular posters. Forums generally are less ‘optimistic’ places than ‘real life’ or Facebook etc. Same everywhere.

In real life he’s hardly had a word said against him in 2 and a half years, so no idea why anybody would need to ‘cringe’.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

End of the day this is a forum with about 50 regular posters. Forums generally are less ‘optimistic’ places than ‘real life’ or Facebook etc. Same everywhere.

In real life he’s hardly had a word said against him in 2 and a half years, so no idea why anybody would need to ‘cringe’.

Main forum for discussion, busiest, most “balanced” form of social media compared to FB/Twitter;

Top thread come 7pm after first game of season; “MOWBRAY OUT”

Cringe isn’t strong enough a word.

• Like 2