BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I am more than happy to give him the season as long as progress and get into then top 10/6 this season. 

I agree with the decision of selling Raya. Mowbray has said that they missed out a couple of targets and Darlow was on the list but his wages were something we couldn't match. Maybe Walton might be back next season. Cunningham loan deal could be made permanent 

Fair enough. 

I wonder, if Venky’s are as serious about promotion as we are led to believe, how long they will give him to deliver?

For the record, as much as Mowbray can get on my nerves, I’m not calling for his head. I think his job is more complicated by Venky’s than we give him credit for and I dread to think who those idiots would appoint next. More likely to be John Gregory than Chris Hughton.

I do think our current situation, plodding along in the middle of the Championship while haemorrhaging money, can’t continue indefinitely. I’d like to see a bit more urgency in trying to sort out our medium term future. A promotion (followed by some sensible decision making, HA!!) would do this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Fair enough. 

I wonder, if Venky’s are as serious about promotion as we are led to believe, how long they will give him to deliver?

For the record, as much as Mowbray can get on my nerves, I’m not calling for his head. I think his job is more complicated by Venky’s than we give him credit for and I dread to think who those idiots would appoint next. More likely to be John Gregory than Chris Hughton.

I do think our current situation, plodding along in the middle of the Championship while haemorrhaging money, can’t continue indefinitely. I’d like to see a bit more urgency in trying to sort out our medium term future. A promotion (followed by some sensible decision making, HA!!) would do this.

Are they fck!

• Like 3

The only pressure that'll come from some of the owners or whoever will be when they start asking why their 7 million and 5 million 'investments' aren't doubled in money and ready to sell.

Until then it'll remain as you were.

Edited by tomphil

11 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Fair enough. 

Only Venkys can only answer that sort of question. 

Mowbray should be question on his signings after every window by Waggott and owners. I suspect that the owners asked massive questions over Brereton signing and his lack of impact. 

I have suggested the sort of management structure I would like to see at the club in the future where we have CEO, Sporting Director and head coach structure. Similar to Norwich and Brentford

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Where does that leave us financially ? Cutting their losses again ?

I don't think that will be a question that crosses their minds.

They'll just find another manager who will take the job, throw £10-20m at him over 3 or 4 seasons and hope he does better.

And hope one of the young starlets nets big transfer money to make some back.

That appears to be the business model in play here.

I said it a few days ago, but it certainly looks like we have gone back to the 2013-2015 period of "stop moaning, we're only x amount of points from the play offs etc etc"

Winning one, lose one, draw one. I see this kind of ratio happening for the rest of the season to be honest, we'll be x amount of points away from the play offs until the end of time.

Still,better than the 16-17 period under Coyle I suppose.

• Like 2

It’s dull, gates are woeful, he leaves any exciting players out and is quite happy to plod along with slight improvements knowing full well he’s got this job for as long as he wants it......

meanwhile the gates will continue to decrease and our reliance on loans in critical positions will be our undoing . Relegated within 3 seasons under Mowbray 

• Like 6

On 30/09/2019 at 09:22, tomphil said:

The only pressure that'll come from some of the owners or whoever will be when they start asking why their 7 million and 5 million 'investments' aren't doubled in money and ready to sell.

Until then it'll remain as you were.

OH MY!!....the Shits really gonna hit the fan when that time comes:unsure:

There is currently a huge amount of apathy and mid table mediocrity about the club.I find Tony Mowbray uninspiring and rather boring,reflected in his team tbh.

Sadly it appears the 'stability' of mid table mediocrity will suffice with many of our fans.Expectations have been lowered so much.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

More than happy with Mowbray in charge  

Surely more than happy would be in the top 2/top 6? As in more than happy suggests that TM is exceeding expectations, whereas I think given the team and the quality of the league, it's reasonable to expect us to be midtable. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

Surely more than happy would be in the top 2/top 6? As in more than happy suggests that TM is exceeding expectations, whereas I think given the team and the quality of the league, it's reasonable to expect us to be midtable. 

I don't us having a top 2 squad. I think we can get top 6 whilst some of people I go think we can and some don't. 

4 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

What are you basing this on? We haven't been in the play offs since Mowbray took charge. 

my opinion. Think they are about 10 teams who can get playoffs spots. 

Leeds and West Brom look very likely for top 2 going off current form

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't us having a top 2 squad. I think we can get top 6 whilst some of people I go think we can and some don't. 

We'd need automatic promotion under Mowbray as we can't string 2 wins together, we'd have no chance in the play offs.

We won't get automatic promotion because we can't string 2 wins together.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

my opinion. Think they are about 10 teams who can get playoffs spots. 

Leeds and West Brom look very likely for top 2 going off current form

You're basing this on your opinion? OK I'll rephrase, what are you basing your opinion on? The fact that "anyone can beat anyone" doesn't really cut it when we haven't been in the play offs once since Mowbray took over. So anyone can beat anyone but we can't beat anyone enough to get top 6?

Blind loyalty to the man because he's the best we've had since Venkys took over or because he's "a nice guy" is a bit pathetic, frankly. We desperately need to get into the Premiership to survive as a club, because Venkys won't keep ploughing in money forever, and so whilst I would thank Tony for stabilising us during a very dark period for our club I would get rid for a young, hungry manager who would get the most out of this squad and get us into the top 6. 

• Like 3

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

You're basing this on your opinion? OK I'll rephrase, what are you basing your opinion on? The fact that "anyone can beat anyone" doesn't really cut it when we haven't been in the play offs once since Mowbray took over. So anyone can beat anyone but we can't beat anyone enough to get top 6?

Blind loyalty to the man because he's the best we've had since Venkys took over or because he's "a nice guy" is a bit pathetic, frankly. We desperately need to get into the Premiership to survive as a club, because Venkys won't keep ploughing in money forever, and so whilst I would thank Tony for stabilising us during a very dark period for our club I would get rid for a young, hungry manager who would get the most out of this squad and get us into the top 6. 

Who is the young hungry manager then? 

Well yes it my opinion based on the squad we got at the minute. I see the championship playoffs picture wide open this season. Put together a good run of results over a period of time. 

53 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Nathan Jones was a "young,hungry manager" and look at what has happened with him at Stoke. I think it is facile to suggest that that profile of manager will automatically lead to top 6. If someone new did come in, they have to have a personality that means they can work with the conditions imposed by the owners - Paul Lambert clearly could not put up with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's my point Chaddy. If we have the potential for top 6 then surely midtable is a decent job not a very good job with. Certainly not a situation to be more than happy with as we aren't fulfilling our potential. You see what i'm getting at here? TM is not doing a more than good job because we aren't where we perhaps could (realistically) be. And whilst I think TM should rightly get credit for raising those expectations, the fact we aren't fulfilling them (in or very close to play offs) should rightly lead to criticism for TM too. 

My personal opinion is TM is doing a decent/ok job but not a good one, as we really should have a few more points on the board and odd team selections and inability to spot a striker are costing us. But my issue was with the more than happy quote as that suggests TM and the team are doing over and above what could be expected and I think that is far from the case.