BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

Even Chaddy has doubts on twitter!

I personally think it’s academic, he hired his own boss he’ll leave when he wants.

I think he’s assembled the basis of a good squad but tactically will struggle to take us further 

What does Chaddy think on BRFCS though?

The club should go all out for Hughton. Would be an absolutely top class appointment at this level.

I think we've seen enough to know what to expect with TM now. We are very much in Gary Bowyer territory. We won't challenge the top six but we will grind out enough results to stay in the league. Is that enough? For me, no. The top 6 is there for the taking when you see the likes of Charlton up there...and yet we seem to be sleepwalking through the season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, den said:

It’s not just Mowbray, but this club needs to get out of this idea of blowing big money on one player, while the team isn’t good enough. Rhodes, Brereton and Gallagher for starters. That kind of money in this league is ridiculous and for me casts doubt on any managers ability to improve a team. 

a manager who will build solidly from the back is the pre-requisite for success at any club.

Rhodes scored a lot goals bit harsh to put him in same breath ..

• Like 5

I just want a manager, who will set up the team properly, play everyone in there correct positions, look organised, and have a sense of urgency about them that looks like they want to win the game they are playing in.

Everything at the minute just looks like everyone is going through the motions, playing such slow, predictable football, and then a shrug of inevitability when we go behind.

Burnley are 5th in the top flight, Preston are 3rd in our league.

Nothing is going to change any time soon either, it will be talk of "regrouping and coming out strong after the international break" and no doubt a tweet from captain fantastic stating how "today was disappointing but we'll learn from it and bounce back". No we bloody wont!

I usually despise international breaks but I'm glad we are not playing next weekend.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 6

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings. Brereton looks a massive mistake by Mowbray. He wanted Gallagher but Southampton wanted too much then so he went for Brereton. Maybe another manager could get more out Brereton then Mowbray as. Now on the Gallagher signing We should have signed a centre back like Hector or Jansson. So why didn't he? big question to answer there. 

Every time we get close to that top 6 we seem to take 2 steps back. 

Now like look at likely candiaties and the staff they tend to work with. 

1. Damien Johnson. Done a very good job with the under 23's side over the last 3 years before his promotion to the 1st team. Question would be who would he have on his staff? I don't know. 

2. Nigel Pearson. Has promotion on his CV and knows this league well. He tend to work with Craig Shakespeare as his number 2. But also has Steve Walsh as his DoF. would our owners allow that? No idea. 

3. David Moyes. He hasn't manage at this level for a number of years. would he step down and take this job? no idea. He tend to work with Alan Irvine and Billy McKinlay. 

4. Nigel Adkins. Knows this league very well and has Promotion on his CV. Experience at this level. Tend to work with Andy Crosby. 

5. Gary Rowett. Another manager with experience at this level. Solid Championship manager until the Stoke situation mess. His staff at Stoke was Kevin Philips, Callum Davidson and Mark Sale. 

6. Karanka. has promotion on his CV. knows the league. 

7. Gareth Ainsworth. Doing an excellent job at Wycombe in League 1. worked miracles there after all the financial problems. Blackburn Rovers fan. 

8. Chris Coleman. Decent manager. Did a top job at Wales. Works with Kit Symons as his number 2. 

I haven't include Hughton due to him turning down the Sheff Wed and Stoke City. rumoured to want a PL club. Doubt Pulis would come. Jokanovic is managing a club in Qatar so I very doubt we could compete Wages wise. Wagner is managing at Schalke in Germany so he aint leaving them for us. No chance in hell at all. unsure if Hughes would come but he always works with Mark Bowen. 

Also another consideration is that Rovers don't pay big wages for managers so it might restrict who we get in maybe. 

Hope this helps people 

Decent post. Johnson, Adkins and Pearson are the three most realistic names.

• Like 1

If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings. Brereton looks a massive mistake by Mowbray. He wanted Gallagher but Southampton wanted too much then so he went for Brereton. Maybe another manager could get more out Brereton then Mowbray as. Now on the Gallagher signing We should have signed a centre back like Hector or Jansson. So why didn't he? big question to answer there. 

1. Damien Johnson. Done a very good job with the under 23's side over the last 3 years before his promotion to the 1st team. Question would be who would he have on his staff? I don't know. 

2. Nigel Pearson. Has promotion on his CV and knows this league well. He tend to work with Craig Shakespeare as his number 2. But also has Steve Walsh as his DoF. would our owners allow that? No idea. 

3. David Moyes. He hasn't manage at this level for a number of years. would he step down and take this job? no idea. He tend to work with Alan Irvine and Billy McKinlay. 

4. Nigel Adkins. Knows this league very well and has Promotion on his CV. Experience at this level. Tend to work with Andy Crosby. 

5. Gary Rowett. Another manager with experience at this level. Solid Championship manager until the Stoke situation mess. His staff at Stoke was Kevin Philips, Callum Davidson and Mark Sale. 

7. Gareth Ainsworth. Doing an excellent job at Wycombe in League 1. worked miracles there after all the financial problems. Blackburn Rovers fan. 

8. Chris Coleman. Decent manager. Did a top job at Wales. Works with Kit Symons as his number 2. 

I haven't include Hughton due to him turning down the Sheff Wed and Stoke City. rumoured to want a PL club. Doubt Pulis would come. Jokanovic is managing a club in Qatar so I very doubt we could compete Wages wise. Wagner is managing at Schalke in Germany so he aint leaving them for us. No chance in hell at all. unsure if Hughes would come but he always works with Mark Bowen. 

Also another consideration is that Rovers don't pay big wages for managers so it might restrict who we get in maybe. 

Hope this helps people 

Wow - the kiss of death from Chaddy is decent enough evidence that the tide may be turning...

• Like 1

Would Adkins and Pearson do it much different than TM though ?   All from a similar mould imo.

We need a Hughes type, get them solid but capable of playing a higher tempo week in week out and someone able to drain every drop out of each player and get them doing what they are best at not keep trying to get them doing something they can't.

Hope this helps people 

Good post Chaddy

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Would Adkins and Pearson do it much different than TM though ?   All from a similar mould imo.

We need a Hughes type, get them solid but capable of playing a higher tempo week in week out and someone able to drain every drop out of each player and get them doing what they are best at not keep trying to get them doing something they can't.

Would you take a punt on Joey Barton ?

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Would you take a punt on Joey Barton ?

Right now probably not but if we go on another howler of a run like last season i might change my mind.  I don't think he'd suit here to be honest but i'd love a manager with a pair of balls bigger than a couple of raisins for a change.

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Ainsworth all day long for me. Young , hungry and a Blackburn lad. Gareth is a hard working conscientious individual and has been since he was an apprentice here at Ewood.

Worth a shot   

It's a nice idea, but there's no way our current crop of millionaires are going to listen to someone like Ainsworth who had a pretty average playing career, and only a lower league managerial career do far.

It would go the same way as Jones as Stoke.

I think we can all agree that the only realistic way we'll ever get our various finances/attendances/ownership issues sorted is promotion.

Accordingly, I can't really see a difference between lower Championship stagnation and League 1. Possibly catastrophe might be hastened by relegation but it's coming anyway as things stand losing so much every season with Venkys liable to pull the plug any given year when we least expect it. Can Mowbray be the man to get us up? No. I have thought that last season and this (it's not a reaction to today). That being said, what benefit is there keeping him? None as I can see. Decency and honesty steadied the ship. Now it's listing again.

I don't have opinions on which up and coming manager we could get. Or which decent name we haven't considered. As for: "The idiots will pick someone worse!"... You can't do worse than this turgid mediocrity. Time to jump on the merry-go-round.

Just now, Burrells Boy said:

Moyes lives in Lytham, so maybe up for a challenge!

He'd be slightly less unpopular than Coyle !

Another dour yesterdays man who's football belongs in the ark, Moysie likes a target man and we haven't got a proper one plus he's an agents stooge type.