BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, J*B said:

Wow - the kiss of death from Chaddy is decent enough evidence that the tide may be turning...

I just expected alot better from this week of 3 games. 1 point isn't good enough. It also the manner of the defeat and the goals we conceded. 

Well seem to get some close to top 6 then we take 2 or 3 step backwards. its getting very annoying for me.

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

5D2FEA92-02F6-44F6-A43F-0DA93B518A7C.jpeg

is that your suggestion JB who you would pick? 

Johnson would deffo be on my shortlist for the job. 

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Would you take a punt on Joey Barton ?

Nope!

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Ainsworth all day long for me. Young , hungry and a Blackburn lad. Gareth is a hard working conscientious individual and has been since he was an apprentice here at Ewood.

Worth a shot   

I’d be happy with Johnson too

Ainsworth could be another Chris Wilder for me. Hopefully not another Nathan Jones. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I just want a manager, who will set up the team properly, play everyone in there correct positions, look organised, and have a sense of urgency about them that looks like they want to win the game they are playing in.

Everything at the minute just looks like everyone is going through the motions, playing such slow, predictable football, and then a shrug of inevitability when we go behind.

Burnley are 5th in the top flight, Preston are 3rd in our league.

Nothing is going to change any time soon either, it will be talk of "regrouping and coming out strong after the international break" and no doubt a tweet from captain fantastic stating how "today was disappointing but we'll learn from it and bounce back". No we bloody wont!

I usually despise international breaks but I'm glad we are not playing next weekend.

Absolutely bang on - especially the last part. I feel like I need a summer break from Rovers and it’s only bloody October! 

I personally feel our only chance of ridding ourselves of Mowbray is if he walks. Rovers have improved his reputation in the game ten fold after his Cov debacle. He’d clearly be loathe to say goodbye to a  decent pay day, but probably knows if we nosedive he’s goosed in the game. Go soon, with his reputation intact and he could still be in with a shout of the Boro job (as an example).

57 minutes ago, Stuart said:

What does Chaddy think on BRFCS though?

well Stuart what do you think of my recent posts on the thread

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Could we welcome back Mark Hughes?

I'm unsure whether he would drop down to Championship. I think they only way he manage another PL club is via promotion with championship club

Edited by chaddyrovers

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Mowbray was to be sack I couldn't complain. The aim this season was top 6/playoffs push as Mowbray said. He has been backed by the owners in terms of wages and money spend on signings. Brereton looks a massive mistake by Mowbray. He wanted Gallagher but Southampton wanted too much then so he went for Brereton. Maybe another manager could get more out Brereton then Mowbray has. Now on the Gallagher signing We should have signed a centre back like Hector or Jansson. So why didn't he? big question to answer there. 

Every time we get close to that top 6 we seem to take 2 steps back. 

Now lets look at likely candidates and the staff they tend to work with. 

1. Damien Johnson. Done a very good job with the under 23's side over the last 3 years before his promotion to the 1st team. Question would be who would he have on his staff? I don't know. 

2. Nigel Pearson. Has promotion on his CV and knows this league well. He tend to work with Craig Shakespeare as his number 2. But also has Steve Walsh as his DoF. would our owners allow that? No idea. 

3. David Moyes. He hasn't manage at this level for a number of years. would he step down and take this job? no idea. He tend to work with Alan Irvine and Billy McKinlay. 

4. Nigel Adkins. Knows this league very well and has Promotion on his CV. Experience at this level. Tend to work with Andy Crosby. 

5. Gary Rowett. Another manager with experience at this level. Solid Championship manager until the Stoke situation mess. His staff at Stoke was Kevin Philips, Callum Davidson and Mark Sale. 

6. Karanka. has promotion on his CV. knows the league. 

7. Gareth Ainsworth. Doing an excellent job at Wycombe in League 1. worked miracles there after all the financial problems. Blackburn Rovers fan. 

8. Chris Coleman. Decent manager. Did a top job at Wales. Works with Kit Symons as his number 2. 

I haven't include Hughton due to him turning down the Sheff Wed and Stoke City. rumoured he wants a PL club. Doubt Pulis would come. Jokanovic is managing a club in Qatar so I very doubt we could compete Wages wise. Wagner is managing at Schalke in Germany so he aint leaving them for us. No chance in hell at all. unsure if Hughes would come but he always works with Mark Bowen. 

Also another consideration is that Rovers don't pay big wages for managers so it might restrict who we get in maybe. 

Hope this helps people 

Now, this may be an unusually good post from you  but only yesterday you said you were more than happy with Mowbray. How does a further 90 minutes football (that I'm assuming you didn't see) change that view?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I just want a manager, who will set up the team properly, play everyone in there correct positions, look organised, and have a sense of urgency about them that looks like they want to win the game they are playing in.

Everything at the minute just looks like everyone is going through the motions, playing such slow, predictable football, and then a shrug of inevitability when we go behind.

Burnley are 5th in the top flight, Preston are 3rd in our league.

Nothing is going to change any time soon either, it will be talk of "regrouping and coming out strong after the international break" and no doubt a tweet from captain fantastic stating how "today was disappointing but we'll learn from it and bounce back". No we bloody wont!

I usually despise international breaks but I'm glad we are not playing next weekend.

Agreed. We've got no identity, no consistent game plan , no character.

The players aren't good enough to play different systems every week. 

Getting out of this league involves playing to your strengths and sticking to it. 

I genuinely believe there is potential with this squad, but they are being shuffled around and played out of position every week.

There's no escaping the fact that we're 2 or 3 defenders short of a top side too.

• Like 3

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ainsworth all day long for me. Young , hungry and a Blackburn lad. Gareth is a hard working conscientious individual and has been since he was an apprentice here at Ewood.

Worth a shot   

I’d be happy with Johnson too

I’d like to see this as well, I hear he’s been pretty much offered the job in the past but apparently we wanted him to leave Wycombe first on his own steam 

Good old St Augustines lad 

Edited by Tom

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well Stuart what do you think of my recent posts on the thread

Mixed.

I think you will share the frustration for a few hours and by Monday will be looking forward to the next game. Then after the next win you’ll be telling us all to back the manager.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Mixed.

I think you will share the frustration for a few hours and by Monday will be looking forward to the next game. Then after the next win you’ll be telling us all to back the manager.

Well no surprise from you. 

Thankgod the next game is 2 weeks time. 

Well of course I want to win the next game. Why would I want to lose a game for? Do you? 

Kamy put on twitter he cannot see any change of manager currently. Nixon saying the same

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well of course I want to win the next game. Why would I want to lose a game for? Do you? 

Kamy put on twitter he cannot see any change of manager currently. Nixon saying the same

I think that's for sure. Venky's glacial speed of action means that even if they did decide to sack Mowbray it probably wouldn't be enacted until some time in December. Mowbray also has the buffer of Waggott, so I imagine he's going nowhere fast unless he does the honourable thing and walks. Chances of that happening are close to zero I'd say. Unlike Coventry we're stable enough to keep paying him what I imagine is a pretty handsome salary.

Edited by DE.

You did ask!

I can’t see a change either. Not unless Waggott goes as well. Great little set up really. We had our worst ever run under Mowbray last season (1 win in 11, including 9 defeats) and nothing changed.

The only question mark would be how Venkys feel about wasting millions on duds. Personally I doubt they are that bothered as it just gets added to the debt.

• Like 2

It won't happen until we descend into the relegation battle. We all want to win every game, but TM will take us down again. Owners have no hands on experience, have no idea about our national game. They only act after disaster......reaction, not proactive action. We will never go forward until they leave.

• Like 1

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

It won't happen until we descend into the relegation battle. We all want to win every game, but TM will take us down again. Owners have no hands on experience, have no idea about our national game. They only act after disaster......reaction, not proactive action. We will never go forward until they leave.

Anyone notice Suhail on the team photo. He’s been about long enough now surely to have picked up on things. I imagine he’s full time at Elwood these days calling the real shots not Waggott

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

Apart from one or two lone voices it was noticeable the lack of reaction from the fans at the final whistle. To be honest we were so poor everyone was stunned into silence. Fans deserve better than today but I doubt the “board” will do anything until fans start to make their anger at Mowbray heard. He also needs to know he’s not good enough at present 

• Like 2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Apart from one or two lone voices it was noticeable the lack of reaction from the fans at the final whistle. To be honest we were so poor everyone was stunned into silence. Fans deserve better than today but I doubt the “board” will do anything until fans start to make their anger at Mowbray heard. He also needs to know he’s not good enough at present 

Listening to the interview I think he already knows that.

Just now, Stuart said:

You did ask!

I can’t see a change either. Not unless Waggott goes as well. Great little set up really. We had our worst ever run under Mowbray last season (1 win in 11, including 9 defeats) and nothing changed.

The only question mark would be how Venkys feel about wasting millions on duds. Personally I doubt they are that bothered as it just gets added to the debt.

I wouldn't have sack him either last season Stuart. 

Well not of us know what conversations are going on between the owners and Waggott. I cant see them being happy with the current position in league but has Mowbray got enough credit in the bank to survive this. All knows. 

Bowyer was sacked on 10th November 2015. Replace by Lambert on 16th November 2015. 

Coyle was sacked on 21st February 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

is that your suggestion JB who you would pick? 

Johnson would deffo be on my shortlist for the job. 

I was watching Johnno throw balls up to the defenders before the Luton game and remember thinking that he looks less likely to take over now than he did a year ago. He appears to have been neutralised after upstaging Mowbray last season.

Things are too cushy for all concerned really. Venus and Lowe look like they have got tenure as long as Big T is here. We need some new ideas but instead it looks as though it’s “Mowbray’s Plan A” or bust.

Just now, Stuart said:

Good point you make. Mowbray should have saved us from relegation given he had that long. I seemed to recall it was later than that.

He had 15 games - from which he got 22 points. He inherited a situation where we had 29 points from 31 games. So on a points per game basis he improved us by a factor of approx 50%. In any walk of life management which achieved a 50% improvement immediately with the same resources would be regarded as doing an excellent job

• Like 2