BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

Whilst I agree that we’re headed for another season of mediocrity, I wouldn’t be getting rid of TM at this stage. We’re a bad appointment away from free fall again and another stint in lge 1. I’d much rather take mid table over that and then re-evaluate in the summer. 

I get your point,  but we can hardly complain attendances are falling if we accept a full season of mediocrity at the start of October. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Id sack tony today and give it to Johnson until the end if the season. That way we can asses what kind of manager we need and who is available whilst seeing how Johnno does. If he sets the world on fire give him the job if not then appoint a manager you have done your homework on. 

I would have Nigel Pearson as my first choice.

Oldgregg86, if you were our owner I would agree entirely with your suggestion regarding Johnson. It would have to be Venus, Lowe, Waggott and most of Mowbray's back-room staff given the push and give Jonno a free role in who he wants as his staff.

Unfortunately we have peculiar owners who really don't know what they are doing. I now envy the Blackpool fans who managed to rid their club of despicable owners and can see light at the end of the tunnel. We Rovers fans are still blindly stumbling along our tunnel with no real hope for the future.

• Like 7

Can't remember a time when we had fewer shots on goal. That's the point of the game isn't it?

There were games over the weekend (and probably every weekend) where the game was decided by a goal-keeping error.

We're never going to experience that luck because we are "retaining possession" in our own half!

Old-fashioned am I?----you bet!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

In two and half years, Mowbray has never battered a side. Think about that.

Yeah and how many batterings have we been on the receiving end of in that time ?

People go to football matches to be entertained, It's not an obligation, like going to church on Sundays. Entertainment in the main is goal mouth incidents, shots and headers on goal etc. It's not passing it back and forth in your own half. Rovers would do better if they put the goals at the sides of the pitch instead  of at either end.

I saw a game on TV a week or two back, could have been England, were they kicked off backwards and the ball stayed in their own half for over two minutes !  Honestly, I timed it.

• Like 3

I see no reason why all the ones not on international duty aren't in training as normal at any club but especially here where work obviously needs doing.  The guys on duty will be travelling and training as well as playing so the rest of the squad should be concentrating on club business, defenders on one on one defensive drills and strikers doing the same if they can't all do the usual group stuff.

Fair enough an extra day off but time to go on the piss and jetting about on mini breaks needs ironing out unless it's a reward laid out by the manager for reaching a set target before hand.

• Like 3

One of the things that comes across about TM the man is that he's a decent caring human being. Perhaps that's the reason why he's never had major success in England.

And that was one of the reasons why I was prepared to cut him some slack this season despite the litany of things - I don't need to rehearse them before this audience; you know the script as well as I do - that haven't gone the way that I, as a dyed in the wool Rovers' fan would want them to.

However, Neil Harris' resignation as Millwall manager has raised the bar for 'decent caring human beings' being professional football managers. I can't see TM will following his example and resigning, but surely our owners have other sources of information than Waggott for what's going on in the world of their investment in English football.

As someone who is as far from being ITK as it's possible to be, I don't see any point in suggesting names of possible successors if TM were to do the decent thing and resign because I can't imagine our owners would act on any of our suggestions. For every Danny Crowley - it looks like it hasn't taken him and his brother long to begin turning Huddersfield Town round - there's a Nathan Jones at Stoke.

However, fwiw, I have more or less come round to the decision that TM's taken us as far as he can.

• Like 2

I like Mowbray too. I've said before, he reminds me of my uncles, great uncles, grandad, and many of my dads friends. They too spoke with that accent and were humble, honest hard working guys. I knew a lot of lads like that too but when I wanted to get married I knew they wouldn't do for me. I wanted someone with a bit more excitement, someone who offered a bit wider horizons. Still steady but just honest and decent doesn't quite do it. I want more for Rovers, just as I wanted that bit more for myself. We need a change sooner rather than later as this season will run away from us if Mowbray stays. We may finish mid table if we're lucky but our better players will want to leave, and those who could be improved with better coaching and training wont be getting it. 

I've always been wary of suggesting a change of manager because we all know that with Venkys a worse appointment is always a very real possibility but the team is going nowhere this season and probably downwards next if we dont change soon so let's get on with it, Venkys.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, m1st said:

One of the things that comes across about TM the man is that he's a decent caring human being. Perhaps that's the reason why he's never had major success in England.

And that was one of the reasons why I was prepared to cut him some slack this season despite the litany of things - I don't need to rehearse them before this audience; you know the script as well as I do - that haven't gone the way that I, as a dyed in the wool Rovers' fan would want them to.

However, Neil Harris' resignation as Millwall manager has raised the bar for 'decent caring human beings' being professional football managers. I can't see TM will following his example and resigning, but surely our owners have other sources of information than Waggott for what's going on in the world of their investment in English football.

As someone who is as far from being ITK as it's possible to be, I don't see any point in suggesting names of possible successors if TM were to do the decent thing and resign because I can't imagine our owners would act on any of our suggestions. For every Danny Crowley - it looks like it hasn't taken him and his brother long to begin turning Huddersfield Town round - there's a Nathan Jones at Stoke.

However, fwiw, I have more or less come round to the decision that TM's taken us as far as he can.

It's all about mood with Venkys i think and how much attention or interest they are paying to it at a particular time alongside which one of them is looking in and who has their ear.

Whilst they are occupied with other things i don't think they give much of a stuff what's going on here so if there was an inkling he was going to jack in i wouldn't be surprised if they chucked a new deal at him. Whilst everything is rolling along stable i don't see them wanting any hassle so better the devil you know.

Other side of the coin is they could wake up one morning and decide to follow things closely for a few weeks not like what they see and hear and just pot him out the blue.

The one thing they won't do is follow things properly, get a feel for where or where not we might be going and make some sensible plans to shake things up.  If the club isn't doing well when they do one of their 6 monthly reviews it might get the attention but anything between that and late summer it'll be ignored i'd wager.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I do not think we have a playing identity and after three years in charge, I think that is a sad indictment.

I think we have an identity it's to be very narrow. play with no wingers. rarely get a half decent cross in. Never get round the back. Rarely score in the first half at Ewood. Generally be pretty unexciting.

• Like 3

All that has been done imo because they just didn't want to invest in and revamp the defence properly so it's a case of try and tighten up in front and keep the ball more.

Crazy when you have the forward options we have as only one can feed off scraps and he's old and only only one is capable of converting the odd good chances that might pop up in a game and it just happens to be the same old one.

Any manager worth his salt would've rebuilt that defence properly starting ages ago......and loaned in a good striker instead of spewing money on long shot 'investments'.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom

After watching the awful Blackpool game on TV tonight, had a quick look on one of their messageboards to get a feel for the reaction.

Eerie how familiar the thread was. I felt right at home:

"Every game is like groundhog day. Get into our shape and let the opposition have the ball. Then try and sneak a goal. Borefest."

"There's no urgency from us and we lack any composure when we're in the attacking third."

"All I can see is a team that are indoctrinated with the 'we must not lose' philosophy - as opposed to 'we can win'."

"Should be getting much more out of this group of players. Sort it out Grayson."

"This is a typical Grayson masterpiece - from 10 years ago. Opposition managers have seen it, beaten it time and time again. Grayson is a tactical dinosaur...."

"It was in his pre-match interview. He said Bolton drew with Oxford, Sunderland, and lost unluckily to Portsmouth. He was validating a draw before the game even started. Mentality of a manager who's stood still while the game moved on." 

Must be something about old school managers running North West clubs. 

• Like 1

Fo me the Bauer saga said it all.  Only centre-back we were linked with in 18 months and allowed to go to our near neighbours. And all that crap about how TM had told him he's have to

fight for his place and so he sulked off to Preston! Who, by the way, don't seem to be doing too badly. A farce.

All talk this one.

• Like 1