BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Mark corrigan said:

You answered your own point. They say rovers to you because they are your friends and that's what you call them. 

Burnley saying like that is like us saying nob Enders. 

Look at any article in national media.  The headline is  either "Blackburn manager Tony mowbray" or "Blackburn rovers manager " never only "rovers manager".

If you think fans of other clubs call us the rovers you are deluded. That's resevered for unique names like villa or forest.

Did you actually read my post? I must indeed be deluded (nice, btw!) as I'm obviously hearing things. I clarified that total strangers knew I meant Blackburn Rovers without mentioning the 'Blackburn' bit. Commonly in Glasgow they mention either Souness or Dalglish (depending on which Old Firm team they support) or The SAS.

If someone told you they supported 'The Albion', who would you assume they supported? How about 'City' or 'United'? All three of those have other football clubs with the same ending - some of them massive clubs as well - but I would wager that you would assume West Bromwich and Manchester (twice). I certainly would. We are quite easily the biggest and oldest football club with 'Rovers' as its ending, so its no different really.

I don't think anyone was talking about what newspapers print, it was more about what fans would recognise.

• Like 1

I meet people all over the country and i can honestly say that once they spot i follow Blackburn Rovers they all say (from what i can remember from the last few ocassions  especialy from midland people) they all say i see you follow Rovers must admit they are all mainly football followers ..

1 hour ago, Amo said:

You ever get the sense that some clubs are just 'broken'? Probably something of an understatement with our clowns in charge, I know. In recent years, other clubs like Sunderland and Stoke have all appointed experienced, bright managers who turned everything they touched to dust. This is in no way an attempt to absolve Mowbray of responsibility, especially as he's received more financial backing than previous incumbents. You might argue that was his reward for winning promotion and establishing us back in the Championship. He still must carry the can for the schoolboy tactics and dubious transfer strategies which threaten to stagnate our progress. However, whenever we speculate about the managers we could attract, I can't shake the gnawing feeling that no matter who comes through the door they are doomed to fail.

We have been in the Championship now for almost 10 years but we have never once seriously challenged for even the play-offs.

You'd think just by the law of averages we would have got close at least once?

So, in summary, I agree with you! We are stuffed.

• Like 2

City and United fair enough because I'm in the northwest. Ask somebody from Bristol the same. As for Albion I thought Brighton.

I never said what fans would or wouldn't recognise it's what they say.

Try going to London and say you support the rovers. Would be like a qpr fan telling you they support the rangers.

The Albion = Brighton? Really? Mmmm....only you would really know whether you're being honest with that one but I would hazard a guess that most people would think West Brom, despite Brighton's current premier league status. You very rarely hear BHA being referred to by their full name and therefore I bet some folk don't even realise.

Your Bristol and QPR analogies don't really work, by the way, but you probably knew that.

Anyway this is in danger of derailing the thread but a pet hate of mine is someone putting an opinion forward as a fact, which is why I interjected. We'll just need to agree to disagree I think.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

We have been in the Championship now for almost 10 years but we have never once seriously challenged for even the play-offs.

You'd think just by the law of averages we would have got close at least once?

So, in summary, I agree with you! We are stuffed.

A bit more context needed imo - if we were a club with a very small budget etc. then maybe we'd be punching above our weight and happy to be in this division. 

However that is not the case. We had one of the best championship squads with Marshall, Cairney, Hanley, Duffy, Gestede, Rhodes, Olsson and Cairney and King and fluffed it. We have had £15 mill to spend in the last season or two with a manager getting to rebuild and are fluffing it. We had a ton of talent amidst our 5 managers in a season and fluffed it. 

One thing that sticks out is we haven't got the managerial appointment right once - and that is no coincidence. No manager should be stupid enough to break up Rhodes/Gestede to play Brown - but it happened. No manager should be stupid enough to lump the ball long to Rhodes for 90 mins in a cup quarter final - but it happened. No manager should have numerous players regularly playing out of position - but it happens. Bit of a theme eh? Crap managers with no one keeping them accountable for some bat nuts decisions. No wonder we are stuffed. 

Even Holloway got the asylum that is Blackpool promoted. Watford change managers at the drop of a hat yet have done ok till this season. Newcastle got promoted and have somehow stayed up and got a big name manager despite some farcical decisions. Even basket case clubs can limp along and do ok but not us. So yeah I agree with you, we are stuffed because we aren't doing well when things are relatively positive and we do atrociously when things are bad. The joy of supporting Rovers. 

• Like 4

Just now, Blue blood said:

A bit more context needed imo - if we were a club with a very small budget etc. then maybe we'd be punching above our weight and happy to be in this division. 

However that is not the case. We had one of the best championship squads with Marshall, Cairney, Hanley, Duffy, Gestede, Rhodes, Olsson and Cairney and King and fluffed it. We have had £15 mill to spend in the last season or two with a manager getting to rebuild and are fluffing it. We had a ton of talent amidst our 5 managers in a season and fluffed it. 

One thing that sticks out is we haven't got the managerial appointment right once - and that is no coincidence. No manager should be stupid enough to break up Rhodes/Gestede to play Brown - but it happened. No manager should be stupid enough to lump the ball long to Rhodes for 90 mins in a cup quarter final - but it happened. No manager should have numerous players regularly playing out of position - but it happens. Bit of a theme eh? Crap managers with no one keeping them accountable for some bat nuts decisions. No wonder we are stuffed. 

Even Holloway got the asylum that is Blackpool promoted. Watford change managers at the drop of a hat yet have done ok till this season. Newcastle got promoted and have somehow stayed up and got a big name manager despite some farcical decisions. Even basket case clubs can limp along and do ok but not us. So yeah I agree with you, we are stuffed because we aren't doing well when things are relatively positive and we do atrociously when things are bad. The joy of supporting Rovers. 

Who wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Bolton and Sunderland get their acts together and bypass Rovers in the next 5 years whilst we sit in the middle of the division muddling along whilst burning tens of millions more VH group spare change ?

Might seem unlikely but i for one wouldn't be surprised.   The formula for championship success that some other clubs click into place always seems missing here in the V era despite who's boss or what he has at his disposal. 

Edited by tomphil

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I have pointed out somewhere else that we have not appointed a good manager since Raos took over. Its between TM and Bowyer imo as to who was the best---a frightening thought!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark corrigan said:

As been said many times Blackburn is a small town surrounded by lots of other clubs, some of them huge clubs. Bournemouth don't have this situation, Burnley survive due to dyche. 

Do you really want to spend every other week getting hammered with a full darwen end singing your support is rubbish?

Not for me thanks.

So sack tony and go and employ someone like douche who will keep us up

7 hours ago, Mark corrigan said:

I would keep mowbray tbh. Blackburn are not a big enough team to survive in the premiership so I'm quite happy in the championship.  The venkys have already appointed stevie Kean and coyle . At least old Tony won't get the team relegated.

He's already done that!

In his own words at Blue back in Feb., he was brought in to keep us in the Championship that season.  He failed - full stop.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mark corrigan said:

I would keep mowbray tbh. Blackburn are not a big enough team to survive in the premiership so I'm quite happy in the championship.  The venkys have already appointed stevie Kean and coyle . At least old Tony won't get the team relegated.

So you're not aware of the mounting debt then that can only be wiped out by Venky's writing it off or us being promoted?

If we weren't spending money I'd be inclined to agree that we should be happy to be a mid-table championship team, but Venky's obviously want promotion. If that's the case we need a manager who can do that. Mowbray doesn't look like the man for the job. He may surprise me but then he's wasted a lot of good money on not very good players, whereas he was quite frugal in League 1. In the Championship he's spent a lot of money on players that won't get us promoted or even get us into the play off positions which is a big problem. He's also continually playing players in the wrong position and dropping players who have previously done well which can't be good for morale.

I can see how some worry about another Coyle being appointed but at the moment it feels like we aren't too far away from the Coyle days. The Mowbray of League 1 seems a different manager to the one we have in the Championship. If we start going backwards it won't be long before we're back in L1.

Edited by booth

6 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

?That is anything but a 'fact'. I have lived in Scotland for 25 years and people with absolutely no connection to Blackburn ask me things like "Who do Rovers play on Saturday?" or "How did the Rovers get on last night?". You might say "Ah, but they already know who you support" but the truth of the matter is when I'm asked by taxi drivers and the like who my team is, I always say "The Rovers" and the vast majority of people know exactly who I mean. They usually follow it up (in Glasgow) with "Aye, but who do you REALLY support?".........but that's another story.

Even that inbred lot call us B*st*rd Rovers not B*st*rd Blackburn.

Spot on and if you prescribe to them being pretty big, if I said my friend is a United fan, who would everyone think of?  Yes we all know the answer, but yet there are loads of United's. We are the original and the best and are known as Rovers, by almost everyone. 

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The Albion = Brighton? Really? Mmmm....only you would really know whether you're being honest with that one but I would hazard a guess that most people would think West Brom, despite Brighton's current premier league status. You very rarely hear BHA being referred to by their full name and therefore I bet some folk don't even realise.

Your Bristol and QPR analogies don't really work, by the way, but you probably knew that.

Anyway this is in danger of derailing the thread but a pet hate of mine is someone putting an opinion forward as a fact, which is why I interjected. We'll just need to agree to disagree I think.

Imagine calling Rangers or Celtic Glasgow, or even saying Rangers have a plumb draw in the Scottish cup and meaning Berwick. Someone is on the wind up and referring to a former manager as Stevie Kean, seems like a term of endearment to me and therefore says it all!!!

• Like 2

What a load of nonsense. I have never heard anyone who isn't a fan say rovers.  Everyone knows who United are but outside Lancashire rovers could equally mean Bristol or Doncaster. 

You may not have heard them say it but that's not the point. Fans of Rovers call them Rovers and outsiders who know anything about football generally know which Rovers

• Like 1

What a load of nonsense. I have never heard anyone who isn't a fan say rovers.  Everyone knows who United are but outside Lancashire rovers could equally mean Bristol or Doncaster. 

Like I said you are clearly on the wind up. I guess Stevie Kean is one of your heroes is he?

• Like 2

I smell a Dingle. How many times have Bristol Rovers or Doncaster Rovers ever won major honours. Thought not.

Try harder lad.

• Like 1