BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Fitness fitness and looking the part, hair, abs, coloured boots, headphones etc it's the modern way not just football hell the next gen of darts and snooker players will be like that.

The make them into athletes now first and foremost in many academies and nothing wrong with that it was missing in the past but the ball should always come first and last.   I wonder how many fall away still because they can't cope with the rigours of the gym and football combined at such young ages yet might be quite good at actually playing ?

It's odd that that kind of regime is then often followed by robotic, contactless slow sideways football when half their training has been building them up to cope with the opposite. 

There even used to be such things as entertaining nil nil draws !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Depends on what is taught and how.

When I look at the level of ball control and movement in the Premier League today and compare with the old First Division in the days English Clubs were winning the European Cup year in year out, today's football is at completely higher level technically.

It is but its nowhere near as exciting.

Modern football is all about minimising risk.

• Like 4

im going off topic but was told something  at the weekend . Did Venkys own any part of  Force india racing team  i was told they did but sold it . If this part his ture the rest might be ture  i was told if its ture Venkys  pulled out of founding  the racing team and offered  TM £25 million pounds too spend in the summer  if this his ture he wants sacking

Just now, stinny1 said:

im going off topic but was told something  at the weekend . Did Venkys own any part of  Force india racing team  i was told they did but sold it . If this part his ture the rest might be ture  i was told if its ture Venkys  pulled out of founding  the racing team and offered  TM £25 million pounds too spend in the summer  if this his ture he wants sacking

True ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stinny1 said:

That sounds a bit '50 million war chest'  or borrowing against land they don't own tbh.

Quick glance at it only connection seems to be ICICI bank.

Edited by tomphil

It came from somebody  i trust and he's told me a few things before but i don't  post them on here . They where supposed  too have had moneys  invested  in Force india they didn't  own it . And in the summer they got paid out when a Billionaire Canadian bought it . And they wanted too give £ 25 million  too TM as a transfer budget but Tony didn't spend it . Would love to know the truth

4 hours ago, stinny1 said:

Another tale of Venkys apparently wanting or being able to spend substantial amounts but then circumstances ensure that they don't. 

We've had these stories since the day they arrived about warchests and huge money. In the end they'll trot out every excuse going to ensure it doesn't get spent. Waggott is at it still, claiming Ffp rules are stopping owners like Venkys from spending. 

Sounds great but then when you ask questions such as why they don't think outside the box like Derby or spend anything tidying up Ewood which doesn't come under Ffp calculations Waggott has no answer. 

8 hours ago, 47er said:

TM did say at one point that the Raos had got "too excited" and he'd had to "calm them down". 

So maybe it is true.

To me, it sounds as though Tony didn't have the balls for a real good go at promotion. Whether he doubted the players or his own abilities as a manager I don't know.

Maybe if TM had gotten himself a little excited, like Barry was, us fans might have had a glimmer of hope.

I want a manager who will bust a gut to get the men he wants in and do everything possible to pick up 3 points every game. TM is clearly not that man. 

I wanna see a manager going ape shit on the touch line when our boys aren't doing the basics right, not just shaking his head, cutting a glum figure in the dug out. 

It's time for a change in what I see as a possible last role of the dice to save our Club.

Edited by Wegerleswiggle
  • Like 7

21 hours ago, 47er said:

It is but its nowhere near as exciting.

Modern football is all about minimising risk.

When I had my scrapbooks out the other day i read some of Alf Thornton's old Match reports from our golden era of the early 1960's. They were proper blow by blow accounts of the games that filled most of a page in the " Last Sports ". In most of the games there were more attempts on goal than we get now in a month of games with this current Rovers team. It was end to end stuff and nobody came to " Park the bus " no matter how badly they were getting out matched.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 08:51, oldjamfan1 said:

Very honest from big Keith there. And what many of us suspected. I’m nearer 60 than 50 and I can still do more than 8 headers - as could most of my generation that played even lower level football. We are producing athletes as opposed to footballers, no wonder the game is fooked.

Yep, when I was growing up Football and a bit of Cricket was all there was to do, so that's what you did. You were outside with a ball, jumpers for goals, small scale games, maybe 4 or 5 a side. You were either on the ball or tackling an opponent who was on the ball all day long. Playing " Walley " under the street lights at night. The ball skills, passing with both feet was second nature. Beating players with the ball at your feet etc. 

I live facing a huge common, you could probably get four full sized football pitches on it easily. There's not a kid on it playing any sort of sport 99 % of the time.

Anybody who knows Rochdale will know " Lenny Barn ". It is a huge grassy area just outside the centre of town bequeathed to the youth of the town by a wealthy local family in the 1920's. . When I was playing sport there was a hockey pitch, three football pitches and two rugby pitches plus a cricket square. We were down there in Summer and at weekend in Winter all the time. On a Sunday afternoon it would be packed with kids playing, mainly football. These days I can walk down there and there won't be anybody playing anything !

You don't get good at sport watching it on TV or playing computer games.

I was reading the other day that the authorities are worried about the number of obese kids at school today. On my wall at home I've got an old school photo, It's of the " Upper School " March 1964. There probably about 250 kids on the photo, 15,16,17,18 year olds.  Of that 250 there are possibly 3 or 4 that you could call obese. If you did the same photo at the upper school I worked at recently it'd probably be more like 50 to 60.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

With the injury of Cunningham it shows that Mowbray absolutely failed in the transfer market with his "defenders are coming" for me that's it for him.

Me too, his transfer strategy has been woefully laid back. Like someone who thinks they are immune from the chop.

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

With the injury of Cunningham it shows that Mowbray absolutely failed in the transfer market with his "defenders are coming" for me that's it for him.

Agree---a total dereliction of duty. Moreoever obvious to us mere mortals at the time. But what do we know?  :wacko:

Just lambasted him in the Cunningham thread but he's surely plotted his own downfall with the lack of defensive acquisitions. A backline of Bennett-Tosin-Williams-Bell is bang average for League One (I'd say that's being kind to a couple of them), while Tosin/Williams have never played consistently at centre half - let alone at Championship level.

How the feck could we all see this but Mowbray? Infuriating.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, booth said:

Me too, his transfer strategy has been woefully laid back. Like someone who thinks they are immune from the chop.

Sadly I think this is exactly the case. 

In for a very hard period i think. Hope Nyambe comes back into the picture as his promising progress has come to an abrupt halt. 

Edited by benhben

12 million invested up front over two windows on two strikers who have no scoring pedigree and usually get played wide when they are on.

Defence jiggled about, patched up, gap plugging exercise over the last god knows how many windows with zero investment. This season the chickens are coming home to roost now in both areas of the pitch.

Poor management.

• Like 1