BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I think both Lenihan and Cunningham getting injured will be the end of Tony. Bit unlucky, but he didn't buy the cover when he could.

I guess we will be going three at the back.

Not sure it was unlucky at all. Lenihen has been injured every season for lengthy spells, and if it was any one of the city lad, Williams or Cunningham injured we would have been in trouble numbers wise. Similarly had Travis or Graham got injured we would also have been stuck for cover 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I had my scrapbooks out the other day i read some of Alf Thornton's old Match reports from our golden era of the early 1960's. They were proper blow by blow accounts of the games that filled most of a page in the " Last Sports ". In most of the games there were more attempts on goal than we get now in a month of games with this current Rovers team. It was end to end stuff and nobody came to " Park the bus " no matter how badly they were getting out matched.

Stuff of legends!

Who can forget the 'Sports Pink' which was in your newsagent within about an hour of the match finishing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

12 million invested up front over two windows on two strikers who have no scoring pedigree and usually get played wide when they are on.

Defence jiggled about, patched up, gap plugging exercise over the last god knows how many windows with zero investment. This season the chickens are coming home to roost now in both areas of the pitch.

Poor management.

Plus it goes deeper as the owners will wait and delay on a new management appointment. 

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Plus it goes deeper as the owners will wait and delay on a new management appointment. 

Unless they or whoever else have restricted him in actually spending on some good defenders then this is down to him . 

He might have to bite the bullet on whatever his issue is with Nyambie and hope the loan fee on the City lad is justified now.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Unless they or whoever else have restricted him in actually spending on some good defenders then this is down to him . 

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why the owners would restrict spending on defenders. This is 100% down to Mowbray speaking with a forked tongue.

3 hours ago, Dr X said:

Perhaps TM didn't want to place himself in the firing line by saying he would push for promotion? 

I suspect he will have assured progress, but a promotion push maybe next year with more certainty. He is clearly a cautious person. 

He thought that his strategy would work and Gallagher would score more goals. Just like he thought spending a lot of money on Ben Brereton was a good idea the year before.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why the owners would restrict spending on defenders. This is 100% down to Mowbray speaking with a forked tongue.

I'd never rule out advisors, middlemen and people doing business with their mates whenever any money is there to be spent with this lot.

1 hour ago, booth said:

He thought that his strategy would work and Gallagher would score more goals. Just like he thought spending a lot of money on Ben Brereton was a good idea the year before. 

He's clearly a rubbish judge of strikers, to date. We have to hope one of them comes good. 

Brereton had a good rep as a youngster, but being honest I don't think either have the movement off the ball to truly excel. 

Pants down springs to mind lol. 

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Stuff of legends!

Who can forget the 'Sports Pink' which was in your newsagent within about an hour of the match finishing.

The Sports Pink was on sale post-match as I walked from Ewood to my Aunt's house, and she only lived in Kirby Road!!

OK I did dawdle around a bit but it was still damn quick. 

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

The Sports Pink was on sale post-match as I walked from Ewood to my Aunt's house, and she only lived in Kirby Road!!

OK I did dawdle around a bit but it was still damn quick. 

I used to leave Ewood about around 4.40pm promptly in those days. 10 minute interval and no time added on, games finished on time. . I'd arrive at the Boulevard about 5.05pm after a quick walk into Town. The " Last Sports " would be coming out of the printers by then ! A full, detailed match report would be there although the last five minutes would be a bit sketchy.  An old bloke sold them by one of the bus stops. I'd read it from cover to cover on the way back to Rochdale on the 5-15pm 158 Ribble bus.

Incidentally it was white then, not pink.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to leave Ewood about around 4.40pm promptly in those days. 10 minute interval and no time added on, games finished on time. . I'd arrive at the Boulevard about 5.05pm after a quick walk into Town. The " Last Sports " would be coming out of the printers by then ! A full, detailed match report would be there although the last five minutes would be a bit sketchy.  An old bloke sold them by one of the bus stops. I'd read it from cover to cover on the way back to Rochdale on the 5-15pm 158 Ribble bus.

Incidentally it was white then, not pink.

I remember there used to be a stop press column in the Last Sports which would have all the late goals from the Football League (there was no PL then). There w were also reports inside from all the local non league games. Although living in Darwen we would often walk to the Boulevard just to get one and read it on the way home. When we got the bus home from Ewood there was also always somebody on the bus with a transistor radio pressed to his ear relaying all the results to everybody. Nowadays the bus home is full of people glued to their phones with the younger ones looking at the game stats.

17 hours ago, Dr X said:

Perhaps TM didn't want to place himself in the firing line by saying he would push for promotion? 

I suspect he will have assured progress, but a promotion push maybe next year with more certainty. He is clearly a cautious person. 

and, sadly, the owners are naive enough to believe him. Surely, even the most optimistic of happy clappers can see there is more chance of hell freezing over.

11 hours ago, Amo said:

Rhodes, Brereton, Gallagher... Venkys have this habit of occasionally bankrolling the odd "marquee signing" and leaving the rest of the squad woefully underinvested. 

The latter two are more in the one man tent category. An absolutely scandalous waste of money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gumboots said:

The Pink was first brought out by the Evening Gazette on Teesside I think. We used to buy the first edition as we left the ground but when we got home I quite often found my dad had bought the late edition and the end of match report would be complete in that

The " Manchester Evening News " football special was printed on pink paper.

When I was a young player they also had reporters covering youth games. We'd be playing on Firgrove which was a huge area with about 8 football pitches on it and the reporter would prowl around asking for scorers names etc.

It was bit of a thrill to get the " Pink " that night and see a little report with your name in small print alongside reports from City, Utd, Bolton etc.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

It’s a bad combination though, not knowing about the existence of  defenders and relegation 

They'll know about relegation by now they've manged two of them for their 150 million pound oversees project, some achievement that.

Defenders they've probably been told enough if you spend millions on them they might serve the team well but you are unlikely to double your investment in one season or make a big profit at any time so better to plug those gaps cheap as possible !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I remember there used to be a stop press column in the Last Sports which would have all the late goals from the Football League (there was no PL then). There w were also reports inside from all the local non league games. Although living in Darwen we would often walk to the Boulevard just to get one and read it on the way home. When we got the bus home from Ewood there was also always somebody on the bus with a transistor radio pressed to his ear relaying all the results to everybody. Nowadays the bus home is full of people glued to their phones with the younger ones looking at the game stats.

Not long after that I started playing myself. After our games the bus back to town would drop us off right outside a TV rental shop. The teleprinter would be going on most of the TV's in the window. We'd have our noses pressed up against the glass. I well remember the infamous FA Cup score coming through - Oxford United 3- Blackburn Rovers 1. .Occasionally they made mistakes so I said to my mate " They've got that one the wrong way around ". 

We need another November 2017...

25CDDC74-FD19-4677-9CBD-08DCEE32CB3B.thumb.jpeg.01ba8735ef100db7021d9efee2c6707e.jpeg

“Blackburn Rovers' Tony Mowbray has been named the Sky Bet League One Manager of the Month for November.

The circumspect nature of Rovers’ play earlier in the season was abandoned in November as Mowbray challenged his side to out-score the opposition. They did it in style, winning all four games with a thrilling 13-5 goal differential.”

Mowbray is his own worst enemy. Despite being a defender he has no clue about setting up a team to defend. His successes have come from playing attacking football. Sadly he has thrown all his money at an imbalanced squad devoid of goal scorers. If Rhodes is available on loan he has to take a chance on him because I can’t see him being given the money he should have spent on a player like Assombalonga instead of splitting it to buy to wide forwards.