BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

In Gally, AA and Brereton we'll be shelling out circa 50k pwk combined easily.

The money is there we can pay it's all about how it gets spent around the squad and recently it seems to be being chucked in the wrong direction.

I like Gallagher but wouldn't have signed him unless on loan or cheap, I still pray Brereton will show something eventually but highly doubt it.

The only one that makes sense was Armstrong because at 1.75 rising to 3 it is recoupable or most of it is and despite his inconsistency he's been a handy member of the squad and on his day does make an impact. To me those are the kind of calculated gambles a club like us should make the other two on the face of it really really aren't.

Bauer is another calculated gamble that might have been less risk and had more impact, the money on the City loan kid and Downing would surely have covered that even if it doesn't seem as exotic.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why the owners would restrict spending on defenders. This is 100% down to Mowbray speaking with a forked tongue.

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why Venky's own Blackburn Rovers

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why Venk'ys appointed Steve Kean, Paul Agnew, Shebby Singh, Derek Shaw, ........

We are not a normal club.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why the owners would restrict spending on defenders. This is 100% down to Mowbray speaking with a forked tongue.

Because strikers are glamorous and often sell on for big bucks. All about that markup value.

Edited by Amo

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why Venky's own Blackburn Rovers

I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why Venk'ys appointed Steve Kean, Paul Agnew, Shebby Singh, Derek Shaw, ........

We are not a normal club.

I can. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you really think Rovers are going to pay either of those 2 wages and demands? 

Gallagher and Armstrong both had to take pay cuts to join. So thats tells the wages we pay

We spent £12m on two duds plus commensurate wages and/or signing on fees.

Yes, but instead we threw the money away.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Well Mowbray choose them so his job is on the line. 

Well we could have get other players for cheaper prices. 

A big part of the problem at Rovers is that the bit in bold almost certainly isn’t true.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said last week. I couldnt complain If Mowbray was sack. 

I hope he can proves he is good enough

Yes but the point is that he’s got at least another 2 seasons where he can keep up this charade....it’s shyte but not quite shyte enough to get anyone’s attention back in Pune or the happy clappers....so, unless there’s something drastic changing I think we are stuck in Tony’s pension pot 

• Like 3

On 05/08/2019 at 06:52, chaddyrovers said:

Still backing Mowbray 100% and I happy with him as manager of my club. I see no reasons to change my view. 

I respect other views who will disagree with me like Ewood Ace, etc. 

The joys of social media

Good to see your position is evolving Chaddy!

2 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Struck me again versus v Luton att our players still look lightweight and slightly off the pace compared to most teams

We’ve been  unfit since Tony came in . The number of last  10 minute goals conceded last season was criminal. Looks like nothing changes with the conditioning.

• Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

We’ve been  unfit since Tony came in . The number of last  10 minute goals conceded last season was criminal. Looks like nothing changes with the conditioning.

We've been unfit since Big Sam left to be honest. Coyle started the fashion for regularly conceding late goals. Mowbray started the fashion for only playing 45 minutes at a time.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Amo said:

Because strikers are glamorous and often sell on for big bucks. All about that markup value.

I thought this too but this doesn't make tons of sense, even though I think that's their reasoning too. 

I say this because 1) the most we have sold a player for under Venkys was Jones - a defender. And 2) With van Dijk, Maguire etc going for big bucks in the last year or two we can see this happens for defenders too. So it doesn't make tons of sense. 

22 hours ago, LDRover said:

He was still spinning that line prior to the QPR game. He goes strangely quiet when this is pointed out though.

I don't go quiet but I tend to spend less time on here depending on the number of different factors and when it the international break I tend to even less time on here. Also I've been away this weekend with the missus

11 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

here is a table that back up your point

https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england2_2019

27 goals last season we conceded in the last 15 mins of goals with 8 of those at home compare to 19 away from home. We scored 16 goals in the same time period with 8 being at home and 8 away

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I don't go quiet but I tend to spend less time on here depending on the number of different factors and when it the international break I tend to even less time on here. Also I've been away this weekend with the missus

here is a table that back up your point

https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england2_2019

27 goals last season we conceded in the last 15 mins of goals with 8 of those at home compare to 19 away from home. We scored 16 goals in the same time period with 8 being at home and 8 away

You're missing the point of course. The stats you produce are damning but you supported TM with great enthusiasm and scoffed at his detractors throughout that period and well into this season.

Just now, 47er said:

You're missing the point of course. The stats you produce are damning but you supported TM with great enthusiasm and scoffed at his detractors throughout that period and well into this season.

Those stats are truly not good enough. 

Like I said I like Mowbray alot and I hope he can turn it around and prove he can get us top 6 this season. Like I said for the past 8 days I couldn't complain if Mowbray was right. I have suggested the structure I would like to employed at Ewood Park going forward and I suggested names and who I would like to replace Mowbray if that was to occur 

On 12/10/2019 at 18:13, Amo said:

While its difficult to argue with this in theory, in practice some of the biggest profits on player trading made since Venkys pitched up have surely been on defenders? (Off the top of my head Jones, Hanley, Dann and Duffy spring to mind). Venkys must take the blame for many of the things wrong with our club, but I cannot see them sanctioning a budget 'for strikers only', which was the gist of what my response was to. I'm afraid Mowbray is the culprit (for want of a better word) for spunking our transfer and wages budget on dross strikers when he had promised us defenders. And its about time someone called him out on it.

• Like 7

Maybe the train of thought behind it - if there is one - is simply that good forwards all carry a heavy premium compared to other areas of the park so when a lump of money is made available that needs spending quick before it get soaked up elsewhere they take the opportunity to get in forwards. In their minds they've make do and mend options in defence and think they can keep putting short term sticking plasters on it.

That's including the critera that might be set of young, British, potential and of course before you chuck in the 'known to the club' and friendly agents and nice drinks all round motivations of course.......

Either way terrible judgement is on show again totally wrong way to build a really good team, also beginning to whiff a bit if i'm honest.

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17968332.were-going-need-everyone-mowbray-tells-rovers-squad/

He said: “I tell the team that formations don’t really matter and that it’s their energy, drive and passion to close down and play in possession that drives our team to win games. We have to develop lots of different ways to play in order to change games, given the personnel we’ve got at the club now."

Well, thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 3