BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, tomphil said:

Over obsessed with the opposition and changing for them instead of getting what you have balanced and right first.

From the Gary Bowyer school of thought. Set-up to contain the opposition in the first-half, and luckily break them down in the second. Not dissimilar to the likes of Allardyce & Pulis, but the difference is their sides were by and large punching above their weight to stay in the division, not leading a promotion charge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amo said:

From the Gary Bowyer school of thought. Set-up to contain the opposition in the first-half, and luckily break them down in the second. Not dissimilar to the likes of Allardyce & Pulis, but the difference is their sides were by and large punching above their weight to stay in the division, not leading a promotion charge.

They were also first and foremost built on a solid defence and mostly square pegs in square holes being functional and doing what they could do best.

Not half a team being asked to be multi functional in multiple systems -often in 1 match- and trying to do things they aren't good at at the expense of what they are. 

To me it's partly an excuse from Mowbray to justify trying to keep his squad happy and justify to the owners why we need a large squad. It should be about the best first 11 suited to winning games at championship level even if it's almost the same every week, it isn't.

• Like 2

Mowbray staying on means this season is over. Mid table at the very best. And if things go really south and replace him even as early as the winter - any new manager will need next season to really start bringing in change.

So either way this season is hopeless because of this decision to stick with Mowbray despite him showing not the slightest clue he knows how to structure his team.

Depressing.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. E said:

Mowbray staying on means this season is over. Mid table at the very best. And if things go really south and replace him even as early as the winter - any new manager will need next season to really start bringing in change.

So either way this season is hopeless because of this decision to stick with Mowbray despite him showing not the slightest clue he knows how to structure his team.

Depressing.

The crux of it yes.

Even if a manager did come in he would have to try and get a tune out of two non-scoring strikers and a desperately thin and crap defense. Will be spoilt for centre midfielders/inverted forwards, false nines and the like though.

It's all well and good fans saying that anything above 15th will be "progress" this season but that's not how it works The likes of Dack, Rothwell, Travis, Lenihan etc. could all be off next summer. We're not a club that has the luxury of biding its time. We've already pissed £12m on two misfiring strikers which will probably come back to bite us on the ass with FFP. We all know what happened with Bowyer. We had a group of decent players but a team that was tactically inept and played on the backfoot. Before long, that talent will be wasted, sold off to balance the books and we'll be looking down the table rather than up.

• Like 6

We have been told that the target is a top 6 finish.

We all know that is not how football works and most clubs will have the same aspirations. It isn't as easy as just getting into the top 6 because you say it in an interview.

However, this does mean we should be visibly challenging and competing for the top 6. If we don't get there we can see the shortcomings, strengthen in summer and achieve next time.

Right now we are nowhere near challenging. Finishing 14th is not progress. Finishing above 8th just missing the play offs will arguably be progress.

Throwing in the towel in October and saying "well it's OK if we finish 14th", "in Tony we trust", etc. is just unforgivable.

• Like 2

Slow build to what though is the question ?   A team who'll set out one season and have a real go ?   If so then why not now ?

Or a slow build to having enough players mature for sale again to recoup 25 million for recent transfers and running costs whilst everyone has their little drink out of it and players get replaced by free transfers and youth ?

Can't say it hasn't happened before.  Then the only ambition will be to avoid relegation again.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

So he’s assistant and head of football operations. How on earth does that work? 

I hope the owners gave him a good grilling on results and performances, letting him know that big improvements are needed immediately.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Hope they gave him a dressing down.

Him taking Venus and the recruitment guy suggests to me he wanted strength in numbers, and them to take the focus off just him and results. 
‘Yes madame results haven’t been what we’d hoped for, but our recruitment man is going to tell you about our revamped European scouting department that we’ve seen feck all from as of yet.’

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How depressing is that ? I wonder how Stuart Harvey explained £12 million = 0 goals ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

That Mowbray interview concerns me. 

First off the appointment of Venus as 'Head of Football Operations'. I suspect this has been the case for some time now given he has been involved in transfer negotiations on new signings but we are only just getting confirmation of it. 

Concerning for me.

Firstly there's no doubt this position has  been created by Mowbray and Venus was the only contender for it. How on earth he can be both assistant manager of a Championship club AND Head of Football Operations at that same club is anyone's guess. How will he have the time to do two full time jobs? One office based overseeing all football activity and the other training ground based coaching the players. Is he actually now both Mowbray's assistant and his boss?

Mowbray has now clearly appointed both the Chief Executive and Head of Football Operations, both men being his close friends from previous jobs.

Venus was installed in an executive capacity at Coventry whilst Mowbray was there but wasnt assistant manager.

I'd like an example of any other club with such an odd structure in place. 

To me it seems that this India visit is Mowbray feeling pressure of sorts after a poor start to the season yet it is clear all he has to do is sweet talk the owners about 'plans' for the future and they'll happily let him carry on.

I'd much rather he and Venus didn't bother with the long haul flights to India, appointing themselves to extra jobs and spent all their working time on the training ground addressing the mess that is our performances and results.

Sadly it seems he is more firmly entrenched than ever before so the likelihood of results determining his future continues to diminish.

• Like 9

Just now, JHRover said:

First off the appointment of Venus as 'Head of Football Operations'. I suspect this has been the case for some time now given he has been involved in transfer negotiations on new signings but we are only just getting confirmation of it. 

Concerning for me.

Firstly there's no doubt this position has  been created by Mowbray and Venus was the only contender for it. How on earth he can be both assistant manager of a Championship club AND Head of Football Operations at that same club is anyone's guess. How will he have the time to do two full time jobs? One office based overseeing all football activity and the other training ground based coaching the players. Is he actually now both Mowbray's assistant and his boss?

Mowbray has now clearly appointed both the Chief Executive and Head of Football Operations, both men being his close friends from previous jobs.

Venus was installed in an executive capacity at Coventry whilst Mowbray was there but wasnt assistant manager.

To me it seems that this India visit is Mowbray feeling pressure of sorts after a poor start to the season yet it is clear all he has to do is sweet talk the owners about 'plans' for the future and they'll happily let him carry on.

I'd much rather he and Venus didn't bother with the long haul flights to India, appointing themselves to extra jobs and spent all their working time on the training ground addressing the mess that is our performances and results.

Sadly it seems he is more firmly entrenched than ever before so the likelihood of results determining his future continues to diminish.

Share all your reservations but would a head of football operations actually spend time coaching,

15 minutes ago, The Axe said:

Share all your reservations but would a head of football operations actually spend time coaching,

Whilst not the same level Perryman at Exeter used to coach the team everyday. Training takes a couple of hours max and your office is walking distance from the pitch. It's hardly catastrophic to a working day. No it is not normal but I have seen it before, Perryman was a good coach but the suttle difference was the manager was generally younger with Exeter City. 

Getting all mates together in the power positions certainly strengthens the managers hand but the focus should be on points not jobs for the boys from the real hierarchy.  Building up the infrastructure is fine but again the focus should be on first team performances and points.

Hopefully it'll all reap benefits in the future but you get the feeling the inside of the club is being sewn up and we might be in danger of being a huge operation off the park again swallowing up the budget whilst remaining a middling second tier dour outfit on it that has to end up selling players to fund all this.  How did Coventry do under this model they are creating, albeit probably a much lesser funded one ?

Who answers to who behind the scenes now when they are all pals running it ?

Oh and just what credentials does Mark Venus have for being a Head of Football Operations ?

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Concerning for me.

Pretty obvious to me that Venus has taken on a different role, with Damian Johnson being more of TMs assistant/ coach, which isn’t a bad thing, rated very highly.

• Like 1