BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, philipl said:

We have an injury crisis.

Give players a week off.

Works them extra hard in training to build stamina and strength.

Four break down in training with new injuries.

I am no expert in these things but this doesn't seem we are doing things right.

We've got the biggest injury list in the championship as it stands, is it all bad luck or some shite training methods? I think 4 of the 7 are knee injuries so there's a bit of a pattern.

Next highest is our opponents on Tuesday night with 5, rather annoyingly Preston have 0 as it stands which perhaps plays a part in their league position but obviously not the sole factor.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Managers must crave the autonomy that Mowbray has at Ewood. There are owners who don't understand the game, a man he had a hand in appointing as Chief Exec and a passive supporter base. The strange promotion of his number two demonstrates the power he yields. There is no pressure on him as we stumble through games and tread water. Strange tactics, even stranger team selections and substitutions are the norm now as he demonstrates the desperation he has reached.

There is no doubt in my mind we are stagnating but the bigger picture is what our errant owners and senior officials will do. My true feeling is nothing as supporters vote with their feet when it should be their voices.

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to as well.

Then Waggott has the cheek to patronise fans about commitment, as though giving the club money is just a given and both he and Mowbray can do what they like with total impunity. Which is even easier with the local rag on side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The away support can often turn first - Coyle at Barnsley on Boxing Day springs to mind.

Preston could well be the day.

Defeat away at Birmingham on Tuesday and it’s 1 point from 12 going into the derby - after the September bounce. Without these sporadic winning patches we’d be in real trouble but because of them Mowbray gets extended echoes of support. Overall, we end up with a bumpy rollercoaster season that ends WDL-equal but we lack consistency in the short term, so the fanbase remain split.

If we lose to PNE then we play have to play Sheff Weds and Leeds before the home game against basement club Barnsley. The most winnable game of the Big Three Ticket games. That could be the one that breaks Mowbray. Or worse still we’ll limp there with a point or two then beat Barnsley and “all will be well again”.

Regardless, I just can’t see Waggott sitting down with Mowbray and having that conversation. Didn’t Mowbray walk out out of principle/pride when they worked together at Coventry? We’ve already passed that point at Rovers during the disgraceful slump last season. The crowd didn’t turn, Waggott didn’t act, Mowbray didn’t walk.

• Backroom

This comment from Mowbray in particular baffles me.

“I’ve touched on philosophy and where we’re trying to take the club, we want to be stronger and fitter so the training has been tough and we’re pushing these players extremely hard to make sure they are strong, robust and can fight and play at the intensity I want them to play at."

This is something you would expect to hear from a manager who has just been appointed at a struggling club. You've been here for nearly 3 years Tony - how can this still be an issue? Why after so long are your players, seemingly by your own admission, not strong or robust enough to play how you want? It seems like an obvious question to ask but of course this wasn't followed up on by the esteemed local reporters.

• Like 6

In reply to PhilipL's post - spot on.

Think our club has been dumbed down from top to bottom including a once decent sport's science / medical department.  

To me, there are no longer any surprises.

Our once legendary fitness under Hughes in particular and Big Sam is a thing of the past.

You don't need to be an expert to realise that over recent years, other teams invariably seem mentally  and physically far better equipped than us.

I honestly don't know what either Waggon or Mowbray bring to our club and I think it's time they were bulleted along with Venus, Lowe and Benson. 

IMO, as a football club we are stagnating at best, at worse, we are regressing.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Managers must crave the autonomy that Mowbray has at Ewood. There are owners who don't understand the game, a man he had a hand in appointing as Chief Exec and a passive supporter base. The strange promotion of his number two demonstrates the power he yields. There is no pressure on him as we stumble through games and tread water. Strange tactics, even stranger team selections and substitutions are the norm now as he demonstrates the desperation he has reached.

There is no doubt in my mind we are stagnating but the bigger picture is what our errant owners and senior officials will do. My true feeling is nothing as supporters vote with their feet when it should be their voices.

I heard no anger towards Mowbray yesterday from my seat in the Blackburn End. Do you? 

Have you not seen @OldEwoodBlue posts last week?

24 minutes ago, Amo said:

If the club had any ambition... 

Pearson, Coleman, Moyes

I think Coleman suggest Kean to Big Sam and I think some fans would have problem with him over that

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hughton ?

Hughton has turned down 2 manager jobs this season including Sheff Wed and Stoke who both would pay bigger wages than us. So why would he come here? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I heard no anger towards Mowbray yesterday from my seat in the Blackburn End. Do you? 

Have you not seen @OldEwoodBlue posts last week?

I think Coleman suggest Kean to Big Sam and I think some fans would have problem with him over that

Hughton has turned down 2 manager jobs this season including Sheff Wed and Stoke who both would pay bigger wages than us. So why would he come here? 

If we hadn't have blown £12 million on two non strikers we'd have enough in the bank to get any manager we wanted.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Amo said:

If the club had any ambition... 

Pearson, Coleman, Moyes

That list says to me 'new voice' rather than ambition.  That's a whole different criteria but one that billionaire owners should have no qualms addressing if they want the club to be anything other than a quiet loss leading corner of their portfolio.

Just now, Mercer said:

I think poor and outdated training sessions and even poorer recruitment.

Yep on the face of it one of the best defenders is injured but he's a left back brought in on loan because the two we had aren't good enough. One has been fortunate enough to have a manager say ok son when he decides he's now a centre half instead because he's struggled at left back.

Then we have a young lad on loan from a top Prem club replacing the experienced Mulgrew who's been shunted out on loan because his bolt has been shot, at this club. Over the other side we have the young right back who's been left out because the manager prefers his pal, a midfielder, there instead.

I'll ask again, what injury crisis is this exactly ? 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we hadn't have blown £12 million on two non strikers we'd have enough in the bank to get any manager we wanted.

and still wouldn't have come. Rovers don't pay big wages. simple as. 

Tho the 12 million pounds should have spent much better. We should have bought a centre back over the last 3 windows. Webster was available at Ipswich before he moved to Bristol City then Brighton. Or John Egan last summer. Even this summer we could have got Jansson or Hector or many free transfers that was available

Just now, Mercer said:

I think poor and outdated training sessions and even poorer recruitment.

have you watch the training sessions Mercer? 

you constantly slagged Mowbray off but then back us to win everytime