BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Clearly you haven't read a thing I've posted today on this thread. 

It isn't simple as yes or no questions cos of the number of reasons I've posted. Please read the number of posts I've done in this thread today then you don't ask me the question you did. 

Just answer the question chaddy. All you are doing is making sure that regardless of if Mowbray is sacked or not you are not proven to be wrong.

Do you think Mowbray can achieve his objective of top 6 this season?

Just now, LDRover said:

Just answer the question chaddy. All you are doing is making sure that regardless of if Mowbray is sacked or not you are not proven to be wrong.

Do you think Mowbray can achieve his objective of top 6 this season?

Yet again Ive have already answered this. 

And I am not interest in being right or wrong at all too be quite frank at this time..

At the minute no. 

But his objective even top 6 tho? We dont know what the owners or CEO target is

At the minute no. 

But his objective even top 6 tho? We dont know what the owners or CEO target is

So it's a no. Finally an answer.

And yes his objective is top 6, anything else is rewarding failure.

Edited by LDRover

6 hours ago, davulsukur said:

I'm not.

He's a poor manager. 

His transfer business, overall, has been poor. He's spent big money on poor players and ignored the defence entirely.

Question Mark's over selling our goalkeeper and replacing with a loan, our back up keeper is woeful also.

We have no real style of play, we have a good amount of possession without ever really hurting the opposition and our good moments of play only happen in patches. 

Constantly plays players out of position which is incredibly frustrating. Players like Rothwell seem to be going backwards and Chapman never gets a chance.

Oh, and the stats on us conceding goals are laughable.

Currently, I do not respect the opinion of anybody who does not share these thoughts/opinions. I am absolutely infuriated by Mowbray at the moment.  I stupidly read some comments on the Telegraph website. All is good on there (according to the 'majority') Tony knows best, get behind the team ffs, people can't see the great work he's doing, it's because of the injuries and every other blindly optimistic or deluded  opinion you can imagine - probably from the same characters under multiple usernames to be honest.

• Like 2

Wouldn't take much notice of the Telerag comments section tbh it was the same even during Coyles reign of horror it is where the clubs/managments PR people lurk full time.

As well as dingles with nowt better to amuse themselves.  When we lose a few it soon swings the other way.

• Like 2

Just an extra one on Mulgrew that Meadows made me aware of on Twitter. 

Mulgrew has made 99 league appearances at Rovers.

What odds on 100 meaning a bonus, wage rise or contract extension, hence the rapid exit before that milestone was reached?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LDRover said:

So it's a no. Finally an answer.

And yes his objective is top 6, anything else is rewarding failure.

We don't know what his target was from the owners. 

A statement from the Owners or even an online Q and A would be good. They are never going to do Q and A session at Ewood Park cos it just kick off and become an angry session. 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

You are Chaddy, you always want to be the one who’s right about stuff. That’s your thing, right?

Sadly on this you are wrong on this. We are all Rovers fans and it doesn't matter whether we are right or wrong at the end of the day

Just now, JHRover said:

Just an extra one on Mulgrew that Meadows made me aware of on Twitter. 

Mulgrew has made 99 league appearances at Rovers.

What odds on 100 meaning a bonus, wage rise or contract extension, hence the rapid exit before that milestone was reached?

TBH Mulgrew should have been show the door after his pathetic performance against Boro at home. 

Even in today game he was caught out twice for similar things he did at Rovers. 

• Like 1

TBH Mulgrew should have been show the door after his pathetic performance against Boro at home. 

Even in today game he was caught out twice for similar things he did at Rovers. 

The evidence is mounting that we can't defend well regardless of the personnel. In my view it is management and coaching deficiencies. Mowbray has made scapegoats of Raya and Mulgrew yet both are now playing regularly at rival clubs with better defences than us. 

I believe both were offloaded for financial reasons and were replaced with low cost loans rather than permanent signings to build around

On that basis I'm struggling to take the club's claims of promotion aims seriously.

• Like 1

We don't know what his target was from the owners. 

A statement from the Owners or even an online Q and A would be good. They are never going to do Q and A session at Ewood Park cos it just kick off and become an angry session. 

Sadly on this you are wrong on this. We are all Rovers fans and it doesn't matter whether we are right or wrong at the end of the day

It's not so much a question of what target the owners have set, it's what you think.

Shouldnt it be the target of every manager at the start of the season to finish top 6. It may not be possible or probable but it should be the aim.

Sad to say too many set the target of finsihing fourth of bottom, low aspirations.

Didn't Mowbray himself set top 6 as the target at the start of the season?

Just now, davulsukur said:

It's not so much a question of what target the owners have set, it's what you think.

well if the owners are happy with mid table this season then he stays.,

Ive already said what I wanted want either this season or next season earlier in the thread. replying to arbitro's post

Just now, JHRover said:

The evidence is mounting that we can't defend well regardless of the personnel. In my view it is management and coaching deficiencies. Mowbray has made scapegoats of Raya and Mulgrew yet both are now playing regularly at rival clubs with better defences than us. 

I believe both were offloaded for financial reasons and were replaced with low cost loans rather than permanent signings to build around

On that basis I'm struggling to take the club's claims of promotion aims seriously.

We all knew what we need this summer, Experience keeper, centre back, left back and right back plus a centre mid, Winger and striker. 

I would have bought an experience keeper like Pantilimon from Forest, centre back like Jansson or Hector. Right back like Byram. 

We could have signed John McGinn but didn't cos he felt Evans and Smallwood. Shocking poor decision

7 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Shouldnt it be the target of every manager at the start of the season to finish top 6. It may not be possible or probable but it should be the aim.

Sad to say too many set the target of finsihing fourth of bottom, low aspirations.

Didn't Mowbray himself set top 6 as the target at the start of the season?

Of course it should. This is a poor quality and wide open division where clubs without major funding are able to succeed. Most of the division have the ability to at least sneak a play off position. The difference between survival (50 points) and play offs (70 points) can be bridged over a 46 match season. If you are managing in this league and aren't personally gunning for the play-offs each season (and by that promotion) then you're in the wrong business because it is there for the taking. If PNE and QPR can be up there fighting then anyone in this league can. Likewise if Burnley and Bournemouth can be established in the top division then anyone in the Championship can (with proper management).

With Mowbray I think he is now going to backtrack and wriggle out of his own proclaimed ambitions. In the summer of 2018 all his talk was of needing 3-4 windows to build a squad capable. Well he's had summer 18, January 19, summer 19 since promotion so at most he's got January to complete his jigsaw. He's said numerous times last season and before this that the aim was play-offs but only last week after his India trip and his comments following that there were suggestions he was moving away from that, trying to downplay expectations this season and turn attention towards more long term issues which include shuffling staff around and bleating on about growing and building again. 

Personally from what I've seen during our time back in the Championship I've set my expectations quite low and said in August I would shake hands on 21st and survival. Why? Because I genuinely believe we are at serious risk of sliding into a relegation scrap with a disorganised team and manager who doesn't know what to do with it. Am I happy with that? Certainly not but it seems some others are.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, JHRover said:

Of course it should. This is a poor quality and wide open division where clubs without major funding are able to succeed. Most of the division have the ability to at least sneak a play off position. The difference between survival (50 points) and play offs (70 points) can be bridged over a 46 match season. If you are managing in this league and aren't personally gunning for the play-offs each season (and by that promotion) then you're in the wrong business because it is there for the taking. If PNE and QPR can be up there fighting then anyone in this league can. Likewise if Burnley and Bournemouth can be established in the top division then anyone in the Championship can (with proper management).

With Mowbray I think he is now going to backtrack and wriggle out of his own proclaimed ambitions. In the summer of 2018 all his talk was of needing 3-4 windows to build a squad capable. Well he's had summer 18, January 19, summer 19 since promotion so at most he's got January to complete his jigsaw. He's said numerous times last season and before this that the aim was play-offs but only last week after his India trip and his comments following that there were suggestions he was moving away from that, trying to downplay expectations this season and turn attention towards more long term issues which include shuffling staff around and bleating on about growing and building again. 

Personally from what I've seen during our time back in the Championship I've set my expectations quite low and said in August I would shake hands on 21st and survival. Why? Because I genuinely believe we are at serious risk of sliding into a relegation scrap with a disorganised team and manager who doesn't know what to do with it. Am I happy with that? Certainly not but it seems some others are.

Whilst I think it is already clear that a challenge for the play-offs is highly unlikely I don't think anyone on here would be happy with a relegation scrap so I don't know why you say what you do. 

The problem at the club is the owners rather than the manager. Anyone who is a really good manager is going to be in demand from more than one club and I cannot see that manager choosing to work for Venkys rather than more knowledgeable owners. I think I am right in saying that Paul Lambert was warned in advance about Venkys and hence negotiated a get out clause in his contract which he exercised after he couldn't stand it anymore. Unfortunately when it comes to managers I think we are only going to appeal to the needy and the greedy and hence personally I reluctantly would say stick with Mowbray at least until the end of the season - I don't think we will be relegated with him.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Whilst I think it is already clear that a challenge for the play-offs is highly unlikely I don't think anyone on here would be happy with a relegation scrap so I don't know why you say what you do. 

The problem at the club is the owners rather than the manager. Anyone who is a really good manager is going to be in demand from more than one club and I cannot see that manager choosing to work for Venkys rather than more knowledgeable owners. I think I am right in saying that Paul Lambert was warned in advance about Venkys and hence negotiated a get out clause in his contract which he exercised after he couldn't stand it anymore. Unfortunately when it comes to managers I think we are only going to appeal to the needy and the greedy and hence personally I reluctantly would say stick with Mowbray at least until the end of the season - I don't think we will be relegated with him.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that the problem is the owners and the manager. We will not get promoted with him. We will wallow in the lower reaches, possibly avoiding relegation, possibly not, as long as he is here.

Not going to bore everyone with the reasons for that judgement, we all know them.

The top 6 statement was either :-

a.) Lies to sell STs.

b.) True, in which case the club needs to make a statement explaining what their intention is to bring us back on track.

The top 6 ambition / target was either :-

a.) Mowbray's or Waggott's concoction.

b.) The owner's specified target.

This needs clarity ASAP.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

The top 6 statement was either :-

a.) Lies to sell STs.

b.) True, in which case the club needs to make a statement explaining what their intention is to bring us back on track.

The top 6 ambition / target was either :-

a.) Mowbray's or Waggott's concoction.

b.) The owner's specified target.

This needs clarity ASAP.

You seemed to imply you knew what was going on behind the scenes the other day, so shouldn’t you know this?

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Mostly agree except no way should managers be given a free pass just because of the ownership you have to look at Mowbrays recent past at a few other clubs there is a clear pattern and clear frailties in certain areas of HIS recruitment etc.

I do reckon that other things have come into play regarding sticking what is huge money for us into Brereton and Gallagher but unlike others i also reckon had TM flagged up a defender for a couple of million quid he'd have got the backing.  I think he has enough credit in the bank and sway over them for that as long as he could offer a case of being able to sell again at profit at some point.

If sticks are being pushed into the spokes of defensive recruitment then it is coming from advice or influence elsewhere imo. Or of course it is down to the manager himself and his make do and mend philosophy whilst directing the bulk of his budget into another area for the second summer on the trot.  

It is his head on the block.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

He's got to go. I no longer buy into this 'better the devil you know' argument. Yes the real problem is with our shitty owners but sometimes in life you have to take a risk and treading water is no longer acceptable. He did well to stabilise us after the Coyle debacle but given how much £££ we are losing month by month we have to make a run for the play-offs and he's clearly not capable of doing that given the way he has spent money when he has been given it, the refusal to strengthen the defence, the constant playing people out of position and most importantly the fact we are ALWAYS F*CKING 14th IN THE LEAGUE. 

• Like 3

I'm with you on this. I don't know who'll come next. We take a huge risk getting rid of Mowbray and in many ways I'll be sorry to see him go but the time to change manager is not when things are so bad they can't be redeemed. You have to give yourselves a chance of improvement. Are this squad going to improve under Mowbray? I doubt it so we need to do something now

• Like 3

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

and still wouldn't have come. Rovers don't pay big wages. simple as. 

Tho the 12 million pounds should have spent much better. We should have bought a centre back over the last 3 windows. Webster was available at Ipswich before he moved to Bristol City then Brighton. Or John Egan last summer. Even this summer we could have got Jansson or Hector or many free transfers that was available

have you watch the training sessions Mercer? 

you constantly slagged Mowbray off but then back us to win everytime

That's why the Chicken Chokers are idiots. We should be paying for the best manager we can afford not shopping around in Pound World. Who has more influence over the fortunes of the club than your manager ? Therefore that should be a key investment.

I'm done with Mowbray. I'll nail my colours to the mast.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, gumboots said:

I'm with you on this. I don't know who'll come next. We take a huge risk getting rid of Mowbray and in many ways I'll be sorry to see him go but the time to change manager is not when things are so bad they can't be redeemed. You have to give yourselves a chance of improvement. Are this squad going to improve under Mowbray? I doubt it so we need to do something now

Well, Venkys have made 7 managerial appointments, 4 complete disasters in Kean,Berg, Appleton and Coyle, and 3 of broadly similar middling results in Bowyer,Lambert and Mowbray. The chance of improvement strikes me as minimal - why should they get it right the 8th time ? I'd rather stick with what we have and hope he can get it better - I don't think we'll go down with Mowbray at the wheel

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Well, Venkys have made 7 managerial appointments, 4 complete disasters in Kean,Berg, Appleton and Coyle, and 3 of broadly similar middling results in Bowyer,Lambert and Mowbray. The chance of improvement strikes me as minimal - why should they get it right the 8th time ? I'd rather stick with what we have and hope he can get it better - I don't think we'll go down with Mowbray at the wheel

I think we're goosed whatever we do because the club's setup is fatally flawed, but we might as well play the game. We're not winning promotion under Mowbray. Even if he could stumble onto the winning formula, he'd tinker with it the following week.

• Like 1