BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

He didn't survive. Wasnt he axed during the Bowyer era and then mysteriously reappeared soon after Bowyer had gone? 

Wasn't it Mowbray who promoted Lowe and Dunn when he arrived?

Lowe is an ex teammate of Mowbray and Venus from Ipswich you'll be surprised to hear.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2019 at 13:59, cesus said:

The whole episode is fast turning into the horror shows of previous regimes we have had in charge here under the owners, a boys club running the whole thing. We are hard working honest folk around these parts and really don’t take too kindly to being lied to!
Mowbray simply cannot hide behind his “football experience” to say that our transfer policy hasn’t been anything short of appalling, the defence needed improving (he said so himself), we don’t score enough (he said so himself) so he spent fortunes on non scoring forwards and not enough defenders. We haven’t uncovered any hidden gems like most other clubs in this league. 
The man cannot get away from the fact he has been given more cash than anybody would have expected over the last two years, and I would rather confidently say we have a better Academy than half of the Premier League never mind this league ... what have we to show for it? The buck stops with Mowbray no ifs no buts!

Except getting Lewis Holtby............

...........for free.

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wasn't it Paul Senior who promote and Mowbray worked with them until he got Venus in that summer

I wasn't sure hence the question mark. I don't remember Lowe doing any coaching under Coyle. I have a recollection of him coaching  was Mowbrays first game.

Just now, arbitro said:

I wasn't sure hence the question mark. I don't remember Lowe doing any coaching under Coyle. I have a recollection of him coaching  was Mowbrays first game.

Wasnt Lowe director of youth coaching under Coyle? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, arbitro said:

Lowe was involved in the academy. At some point during Bowyer's tenure he was sacked.

Shortly afterwards he was back in the academy which I believe took a few people by surprise.

He remained in the academy until Mowbray arrived when he and David Dunn stepped up to 1st team duties. Dunn was demoted back to the reserves to make way for Venus to come in whilst Lowe went to being First team coach.

I didn't know Lowe had played with Mowbray and Venus before. 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Lowe was involved in the academy. At some point during Bowyer's tenure he was sacked.

Shortly afterwards he was back in the academy which I believe took a few people by surprise.

He remained in the academy until Mowbray arrived when he and David Dunn stepped up to 1st team duties. Dunn was demoted back to the reserves to make way for Venus to come in whilst Lowe went to being First team coach.

I didn't know Lowe had played with Mowbray and Venus before. 

Did Eric Kinder chuck his towel in because of what happened with Lowe?

David Lowe was a right-winger who scored quite a few goals.

I trust he has been fully Mowbrayised

The Ipswich connection leading to Lowe being promoted to first-team coach another old pals act. No wonder Dunny did a bunk.

It's all a bit too incestuous for my taste.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

David Lowe was a right-winger who scored quite a few goals.

I trust he has been fully Mowbrayised

Aye that should qualify him to coach our full backs then. If he'd been a striker he  could coach our right wingers.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

I like to use my eyes, not stats.

My eyes tell me that we piss about with the ball, kick simple passes out of play, wait for the opposition to ready themselves before we cross the halfway line, go sidewards when we should go forwards, if we beat the first man we then get terrible crosses into the box, try to walk the ball into the goal, don't get enough shots on target, don't attack balls into the box, invite crosses into our box, the keeper doesn't release the ball early enough, play midfielders in defence, play strikers as wingers, always throw subs on at 60ish minutes, have no urgency or  intensity during the dying stages.

Yep, that's what my eyes have seen too, and most of us I think. The stats merely back it up. Pretty strongly at that.

• Like 2

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/october/were-searching-for-consistency/

“The performance levels of the team have been good in stages, I think back to the game against Nottingham Forest and it was really encouraging against a team who were second in the league at the time,"

I find this quote quite concerning, if that Forest game is the benchmark then we are in trouble. That game was typically dire and dull.

“I want to try and finish in the top half of the table, hopefully the top six. We’re trying to be a better team, control games more and earn the right to win matches."

I feel like hes trying to tamper expectations, but its too late after bleating about pushing for the play offs so much, as well as players that have signed doing likewise, it wont wash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Wasn't it something to do with personal issues that made things untenable?  Obviously I don't want to be writing rumours on a forum.

• Backroom
Just now, roversfan99 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/october/were-searching-for-consistency/

“The performance levels of the team have been good in stages, I think back to the game against Nottingham Forest and it was really encouraging against a team who were second in the league at the time,"

I find this quote quite concerning, if that Forest game is the benchmark then we are in trouble. That game was typically dire and dull.

“I want to try and finish in the top half of the table, hopefully the top six. We’re trying to be a better team, control games more and earn the right to win matches."

I feel like hes trying to tamper expectations, but its too late after bleating about pushing for the play offs so much, as well as players that have signed doing likewise, it wont wash.

Ffs, we'll be lucky not to finish in the bottom six at this rate let alone 'hopefully the top six' ! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DE. said:

Ffs, we'll be lucky not to finish in the bottom six at this rate let alone 'hopefully the top six' ! 

If Mowbray had any sense of self preservation he would completely shut up about the top six until things are drastically different.

The Forest game was just an alright performance. Better than the Luton game before it but we still barely created any clear chances. If that’s the benchmark then it is indeed a worry.

They might have been second at the time but you get all sorts of teams up there within the first two months of the season (we’re never one of them, of course...). They didn’t look anything special and it’s no surprise they’ve fallen away a bit since. So let’s not hear them being bigged up as anything more than a mid-table Championship side.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rolo PB said:

I haven’t posted about Rovers fortunes for a long while. It’s so hard to believe in the current ownership and it’s very easy to become disaffected and disillusioned with the way in which the poultry barons in Pune have breathed life into our nightmares.

However............

On the subject of their 7th permanent manager in 9 abject years, it is hard to escape the fact that any judgement of Tony Mowbray was always going to be distorted by the folly that preceded him. He followed Owen Coyle, who was a farcical appointment that could only have been entertained by fools looking to torment an already mistreated fan base. Therefore the unsuccessful battle against relegation was overlooked and Mowbray’s contribution from Feb-May was, rightly or wrongly, viewed largely as a valiant effort.  

The promotion season was enjoyable for the simple reason that for the first time under these wretched owners, a winning team was being turned out most weeks and, to Mowbray’s credit, he projected a palpable authenticity and came across as the “proper football man” that so many of us dearly craved. That said, for me personally, the football was unconvincing, but I was (like most of us I suspect) carried away with this euphoria of winning, which had become so alien. 

Last season again seemed to be considered a “free hit” by many, but for me this is where significant concerns began to manifest themselves on a consistent basis. Chief amongst them, the “marquee” signing Brereton, the porous defence and Mowbray singularly failing to integrate the talented Joe Rothwell until it was too late.

This summer was not only a missed opportunity, but for me actually inflicted more weaknesses in a squad that so badly needed augmenting in crucial areas. 

The goalkeeping situation has completely bemused me. Raya was far from faultless, at times painfully naive, but the necessary promise was there to be nurtured and developed. Walton is not an upgrade and more significantly is not even our player. For me the sale of Raya is symptomatic of this manager, his handling of youth players has left a lot to be desired, as both Nyambe and to a certain extent Travis demonstrate with their performances, which have to me displayed confidence issues and an anxiety which were non existent 9-12 months ago. The acquisition of Gallagher is fast becoming as big an albatross round Mowbray’s neck as Brereton and the striking department is beginning to look worryingly bare.

The team, much like the club itself, is drifting in a mode of complacency and that is when sides are at their most vulnerable. A real motivator and tactical innovator is what the club needs and has needed since the needless jettisoning of Allardyce. 9 years have nearly passed, very little fun has been had following Rovers in those times. The Raos have had 7 go’s at getting it right and simply have not, only proving that their heads are as empty as Ewood Park. Mowbray has probably come to the end, but the sad and frank truth is, I have no faith his replacement will be any greater suited to deliver the needs of our football club

Great post. Particularly agree with the way youth players are handled. I’d go so far as to say that any player with attacking instincts seems to have it benched out of them.

With the curious exception of Armstrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Waggy76 said:

For this quote : He should be sacked !!!!

Against a local rival, with 4,000+ making the effort to go, it is an unacceptable attitude to have, especially given the amount of money spent by Mowbray over the last 2 seasons.

• Like 5