BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

55 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

At the end of last season, Mowbray highlighted our defensive frailties..

Sold Raya, downgraded to Walton- a massive downgrade at that. Read the reviews on the Brentford forums- "Best signing in recent years". I'm not surprised Raya pushed to leave after the grief Mowbray gave him and dropping him at the end of last season to boot...

Cunningham- excellent signing but now injured- not TM fault

Tosin- Hard to judge, looks okay- is he the leader we need at the back?

Letting Mulgrew leave was a monumental mistake- again, getting good reviews at his new club...

Lenihan- injury-prone as anything, we had exactly the same issues last season and no replacement...

I was really excited to crack on this season, but that excitement dissipated when Raya left for next to nothing- go on, tell me a better keeper his age for that price- absolutely shocking management letting him leave for that.

We're left with a bloody awful defence marshalled by an ever worse keeper- We've gone back to the days of Steele who single-handedly relegated us, before doing the same to Sunderland...

The squad is so unbalanced it's untrue- how many midfielders?

Then he persists in playing tosh- leaving the likes of Rothwell to rot on the bench but for the odd cameo whilst 'Benno' is facilitated all over the pitch at the expense of anyone- nothing against Bennett,  solid enough player, I just don't understand how he merits a start every game other than his work-rate.

Then we have the 10-13 million spent on Gallagher and Brereton- Christ, that's some money for a clun in our predicament, Gally I feel may pay off- Brereton is yet to show me anything that even moderately justifies such a price tag...

On the other hand, TM got us back up at the first attempt of asking- no mean feat that, look at Sunderland!

He's also signed some cracking players: Dack and Rothwell spring to mind, whilst giving young talent such as Nyambe, Travis, Buckley, Costello opportunities. 

I do feel TM has the best intentions of the club at heart.  In my mind at least he's steady the ship and re-built a much improved, albeit imbalanced squad to the one that was relegated..

I'd loathe seeing Tony leave the club. I think he's exactly what we need, but perhaps as a director of football.

I really hope he turns our season around, but I find that difficult to see given how he can't see or correct some glaring errors.

I don't see us going down- not at all, mid-table again, which perhaps is about right for us? Maybe we're all expecting too much- but then I look at teams like Charlton, Cardiff etc punching above their weight and it makes me wonder why we can't be doing that..

on the balance of things, do I want him to go? If we can bring in a Chris Hughton, Wagner or Hughes, I'd gamble. All this talk of Damien Johnson though fills me with absolute dread!

After what we have seen of him know of him as a manager in what universe does he look like a director of football ffs?

his transfer dealings are shambolic , his tactics are worse and he spouts utter drivel on a daily basis .

i have no clue where anybody who hasn’t been drinking heavily can think he’s DoF material.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TBTF said:

After what we have seen of him know of him as a manager in what universe does he look like a director of football ffs?

his transfer dealings are shambolic , his tactics are worse and he spouts utter drivel on a daily basis .

i have no clue where anybody who hasn’t been drinking heavily can think he’s DoF material.

I have been drinking! And quite a few BTW. But I just want him to FO now before i really start to lose my temper! 

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Nobody can be compared to Kean but Mowbray has a lot more in common with Coyle than I'm comfortable with. Bullshit is well up there for a start.

I would say the comparison is more like bowyer. Two decent blokes who brought back credibility then get hopefully out of their depth. They’re both quite boring monotone people coming out with the same inane comments.

For me with bowyer there was a tipping point where good will turned in to annoyance at practically everything he said. Now Mowbray with his “we’ll try” and his finger pointing at everyone but himself is going the same way.

Also I agree 100% zero comparisons can be made with Kean. I think the current situation is bad but it’s a milllion times better than shenanigans under Kean 

• Like 2

Just now, matt83 said:

I would say the comparison is more like bowyer. Two decent blokes who brought back credibility then get hopefully out of their depth. They’re both quite boring monotone people coming out with the same inane comments.

For me with bowyer there was a tipping point where good will turned in to annoyance at practically everything he said. Now Mowbray with his “we’ll try” and his finger pointing at everyone but himself is going the same way.

Also I agree 100% zero comparisons can be made with Kean. I think the current situation is bad but it’s a milllion times better than shenanigans under Kean 

Agreed we're nowhere near Kean levels and I don't think we'll ever be with Mowbray. 

A big issue for me is that this team is taking on his characteristics; nervous of the opposition, twitchy when they equalise or we go behind, lacking in tactical nous especially when trying to see a game out etc etc. And that won't change unless Mowbray changes his attitude, which simply isn't going to happen after however many years in the game. 

So most people now seem to agree that he needs to go but where do we go from here? None of the people advising the clowns either have a clue and/or have a vested interest in keeping the status quo and Venkys themselves have done nothing positive in the time they've owned us.

Its all so thoroughly depressing and now very much part of being a Rovers fan. 

Edited by CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber

As an aside how much do the club pay Kev Gallacher to chat waffle? Came back to me on Twitter with a couple of Mowbray soundbites which barely make sense. He’s another who would back him if he takes us to the promised land of league one yet again.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

As an aside how much do the club pay Kev Gallacher to chat waffle? Came back to me on Twitter with a couple of Mowbray soundbites which barely make sense. He’s another who would back him if he takes us to the promised land of league one yet again.

I never pay attention to pundits, at our level nobody ever does a bad job and they protect each other.

He gets sacked, and a new guy turns it around, said pundits are the first to agree a change was needed and this new fella is the best thing since sliced bread. Was ever thus.

• Like 5

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I never pay attention to pundits, at our level nobody ever does a bad job and they protect each other.

He gets sacked, and a new guy turns it around, said pundits are the first to agree a change was needed and this new fella is the best thing since sliced bread. Was ever thus.

Gallacher’s analysis: ‘why (sack him)?! Look how far he’s got the team’. Cutting edge.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Maybe this is who the uber fans take their cues from. People like Gally, Garner, Dunny who all back the incumbent because they never know who they might need a favour from at the club.

• Like 1

Regardless of being worried about who the next appointment would be, I simply cannot get away from the fact that nobody in the away end, on this message board or just a Rovers fan in general was in anyway shocked that we blew a 2-0 half time lead. 
That should scream alarm bells to anybody connected to this club. It proves there is a mentality issue, it proves the manager has had an inability to see and react to the opponent managers tactics. It’s not a one off!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Gallacher’s analysis: ‘why (sack him)?! Look how far he’s got the team’. Cutting edge.

Good grief,this is what we are up against.

We had the same so called experts telling the fans nothing was wrong under the tenure of Kean and Coyle...it's happening again.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Fitness levels? Transfer record? Leads thrown away? Can't organise a defence? Bullshit interviews?

I'd say he's very similar to Coyle.

Nobody is comparing him to Kean, that odious individual is in a class of his own.

ToMo did good work to restore this club's standing early on, he should go now before he becomes a laughing stock (if he isn't already).

23 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Maybe this is who the uber fans take their cues from. People like Gally, Garner, Dunny who all back the incumbent because they never know who they might need a favour from at the club.

OR that’s just what they believe is right Stuart. I personally think that TM backed himself into an impossible position by aiming for promotion this season. He’s done a fantastic job overall but the questions and rumblings around the big money signings, finding his best team and shaky defence are amplified by the expectation he has built. 

But we have to be careful what we wish for. There is much more chance of us getting another Coyle or Kean after Mowbray than a Pearson etc

Id have been happy with a top 10 finish before we were promised a top 6 push. 

• Like 2

On net spending we should be pushing for the top 6. 

Mowbray has squandered those funds. 

If we were winning games regardless then nobody would really bother about that but when you're getting walloped by QPR and PNE who have spent a fraction of what he has then questions need to be asked.

You can be dead sure that Neil is aiming for promotion this season at Preston (this being his 3rd season). He might not sing about it from the rooftops but in private he will be gunning for it.

So should Mowbray. If he doesn't aim for promotion he's in the wrong business.

Sooner rather than later we aren't going to have the luxury of worrying about who comes next and using that to argue against a change. A change will have to be made to keep us up and the club will have to get it right. If not then the club will be back in League One again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cesus said:

Regardless of being worried about who the next appointment would be, I simply cannot get away from the fact that nobody in the away end, on this message board or just a Rovers fan in general was in anyway shocked that we blew a 2-0 half time lead. 
That should scream alarm bells to anybody connected to this club. It proves there is a mentality issue, it proves the manager has had an inability to see and react to the opponent managers tactics. It’s not a one off!

After the game I said that we'd have been better off if the scoreline was 0-0 at half time than 2-0 to us. It seems sometimes being ahead in a game takes us by surprise and we don't really know how to approach the game from there on.

0-0 and Preston would probably have persevered rather than changed their system. They certainly wouldn't have applied as much pressure from the start of the 2nd half as they did. Being 2-0 down both meant that they had to 'go for it' and also meant we had to try and protect a lead, which we all know we are incapable of doing, and as usual we crumbled under pressure.