BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Tony responds to Fuckwits saying he needs a vacation....

Get ready for the big push to promotion. Half STs to go on sale soon.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18007391.bullish-mowbray-wants-keep-driving-rovers-ambitions/

IMO, delusional bullsh1t targeted at our Indian owners - trying to buy a bit more time.

I think Mowbray is really feeling the pressure and is hanging on by a thread now.

Mowbray - if you really want to know what fitness, organisation, motivation, teamwork, tactics and good effective coaching really are then tune in to the Rugby World Cup Final tomorrow morning to watch our magnificent England team.  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

He's always been good at telling fans what they want to hear since he first arrived but it was welcomed in his open honest way. Last 6 months though he's become very good at talking 'the talk' instead, absolutely highlighted by the two interviews this week.

Have to agee with him on the leaders thing though but we heard exactly the same from Bowyer after all he did was go out of his way to source nice lads.  To be fair though that's the way it is these days there just aren't those types around it doesn't seem. The way the games changed and the fact they nearly all come through some academy or other has drilled out all the characters and churns out robotic players imo.

However i'm not having him making out Lenihen and Williams are some kind of Samba & Nelson the fact of that is the change of style was working in front of them. Once opposition teams saw this they've changed to exploit it a bit like we caught teams out early last season with the counter attacking. Once that was sussed we didn't win for what felt like months.

Might be difficult to recruit the robust leader types these days fair enough but still zero excuse for not strengthening defence by getting better than what we have. Nor sourcing a good keeper instead of someone else's 3rd or 4th choice and whacking all the budget in one forward again.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

Yes you don’t always know whether signings are leaders or not. But it’s not rocket science that a 21 year old inexperienced kid on loan isn’t exactly going to come in and be a leader. 

He’s basically making Tosin a scapegoat for the poor run whilst Lennihan is out injured. This lad wouldn’t still be a Man City player if he wasn’t better than Lennihan. And if he’s not better then why the hell did we splash £1m on him.

Time to go Tony.

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yet he brings in wideboys like Johnson who drives from Derby whenever TM actually ever gets them in to train.

Team selection is basically a scan through who’s been on Dack’s Instagram for the week. Coincidence that you never see Rothwell or Nyambe on there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Interesting that in one of the Mowbray articles in today's LT he talks about how much he used to head the ball.

Lately he's going on like someone that has suffered some blows to the head....

I was thinking the same but struggling with a PC correct wording for my post and I've also put myself on a no-swearing ban so that made it much more difficult. Well done.

I've just read the "Bullish Mowbray" piece in the LT, words almost fail me. He's obviously forgotten what he said pre Preston.

“I have talked a lot about my family, I’m a family man, I’ve got kids who want to play football in the garden with their dad" - that is classic Mowbray. Has no relationship to the rest of the article, simply image building and talking to Pune.

He's spot on about Villa though, whose improvement came about after they had changed their manager and got a decent CB.

I think he forgot that. There is hope for us yet.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

His shit just never stops !  Like a broken record he is ... He keeps going on about Lenihan like he’s a Van Dyke ... He did this in February.. so why not do something about it in the summer transfer window instead talking about playing in garden with his kids ... it’s like somebody is forcing him to drive down from the North East and that BRFC will stop functioning as a entity ... 

please Venkys Put him out of his misery and ours ... Sack him ...sooner the better 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18007391.bullish-mowbray-wants-keep-driving-rovers-ambitions/

So many issues with this. As others have said our failure is because we are doing badly not because of raised expectations. It's not ambitious to expect strikers to score a few goals and not to throw away 2 goal leads. 

For me when the message is for Pune not fans then it's time to go. No need to mention his family and the whole raised expectations makes things look worse than they are is so disingenuous that it is clearly also aimed at Pune. 

Also Tony you don't need to worry about bouncing round mid table as we are looking like relegation candidates and a bottom 6 team under your guidance. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

It feels like he hasn't really grasped the seriousness of the situation yet. He thinks it'll be like last season and we'll suddenly start picking up wins after going through a rough patch. I'm not convinced, and I think if we fail to win before the international break Mowbray may start to realise that we're in big trouble.

Tony,

You don't need your kind of leaders in a team full of winners, drop Bennett, he's a liability. Put out your best technically gifted performers, give them some freedom to play instead of micromanaging them to specific blades of grass, sit back and watch the leaders emerge. Oh and by the way when they win -leave it alone! 

Leadership isn't shouting and bawling, falling over and giving away penalties. It's having the guts to take risks, confidence in your own ability and that of your team mates. 

Drop the dross, have faith in the gifted, stop tinkering and play to win.

• Like 6

Promoting Venus, hiding in the dugout recently letting Venus patrol the touchline even though he's supposed to be Director of football operations now. Going on about not wanting to be in the middle of the championship when he's even failing on that so far.

Yaking about a 2 week break, being a family man, wanting to play with his kids etc etc.  He's talking to Pune alright but just what is he trying to say ?

Something isn't right about all this.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

That article made my blood boil. 

Every manager should have promotion as their goal, that should be a given not an amazing plus point in Mowbray's favour.

He goes on about not wanting to be a manager who clogs up the middle of the table yet in the next breath he says it may not happen today or tomorrow but we have to look for incremental improvements -thereby totally contradicting himself and trying to con the owners into thinking being crap is all part of the five year plan so that by the time they realise we're making no progress whatsoever, TM/Venus/Waggott at al will be financially well set.

Then he throws in a completely gratuitous reference to his family. I can't criticise him for being a devoted family man but he's blatantly just trying to pull on the owners' heartstrings there knowing they have always made a big thing about the importance of family themselves.

Finally he insults everyone's intelligence by suggesting we could go on a run like Villa did even though with the exception of the start of last season we have been displaying relegation form over the last 42 or 43 games.

Get rid now. I want a manager who delivers a genuine promotion challenge not one who talks about it happening in the distant future to try and appease the owners and keep himself  in a job from a position near the bottom of the table.

• Like 4