BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

Yep we need one of those nice mutual agreements, we need to push on and we won’t do it with him here 

No malice, no hard feelings but time for a change 

• Like 2

Can't lump too much on the manager today it was mostly same old same old but looked a bit tighter and stodgier like early in the season. Had nil nil written all over it until the inevitable soft gifted goal.

He owes Tosin and Buckley big time though.

End of the day, Mowbray has created a very secure position for himself, I can’t see him being potted at all this season, or at least until it’s much too late. Couple that with the still massive amounts of goodwill remaining for him in the stands.

So we can only hope he somehow turns it round.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Anyone of a sensitive disposition should look away now...

I’ll preface what I’m about to say by saying that Buckley’s goal was a fantastic moment, and the most I’ve celebrated at Ewood for a long time. That’s a massive 3 points that we really needed and I was genuinely delighted.

But... sadly, it has probably just removed any hope of a managerial change until it is too late.

If today’s result is to count for anything then Mowbray must be sacked. Tonight. With immediate effect. Or he should have the decency to walk.

Today’s win was in spite of Mowbray and not because of him.

When Sheffield Wednesday scored Mowbray was just about to bring on Corey Evans to protect a 0-0 scoreline and hopefully take a point. His petulant outburst - throwing the bottle on the pitch - shows he is still passionate, or under huge pressure, but his decision making shows he not up to the task at hand.

As it was Murphy’s 83rd minute goal forced Mowbray’s hand. There was no way he could bring Evans on at that point. Painted into a corner he sent Evans to get changed and brought Buckley on instead. The young lad the game was crying out for and wouldn’t have been on the pitch if Mowbray had his way. We would all have been robbed of that - Buckley included.

Almost released from the shackles of another depressingly negative substitution, the players responded and we got one of the best finishes to a match in the last two-and-a-half years.

This team, this squad, this club, is capable of so much more and the current manager is now holding us back.

“We’ve won stop being so negative/miserable/churlish” I hear you cry. But I’m even more resolute than ever that Mowbray’s instincts are now stopping this team from reaching its potential. The player huddle after the final whistle showed the spirit is there. I have always credited Mowbray with producing that. But in a division like the Championship we need more than that. We need bold decision making and to go out and get 3 points instead of settling for 1. Yes, it was a decent opposition side but we have lost to Luton and Charlton too and with an attacking ethos rather than negative one, our boys showed we can live with them.

Thanks for everything, Tony. But that substitution debacle felt like a watershed moment for me, it’s time to go.

This kind of ties in with what I was just about to say:

Ironically the best thing Sheffield did for us was bring on attackers to try and win the game. They were utterly toothless up until the last 15 and we surely would have taken the dil-dil as time ticked away.

Wasn't sure whether to celebrate or not when Tosin's header looped in. I was chuckling as he ran into the box with that note though.

Whatever the outcome of today's game any decent manager would have had us up by at least 2 goals going into the last 10 minutes. Wednesday were awful. This league is about as bang average as I can remember. Norwich of last year would be spanking every team this season.

Maybe we'll all be surprised and this might be a turning point. We might do a Villa. One team usually does! 

Plus points from today..

Adarabayio I thought was solid at the back. I would have him over Lenihan.

Williams was an upgrade on Bell or Bennett at LB.

Gallagher is starting to look half decent. Obviously his family are settled into their luxury house now. 

Travis trying to get the crowd going showed he might be a future captain.

Even though Downing is nearly 76 he can still play a big part anywhere across the midfield.

TM's new policy of winding players up with offensive notes works.

Steele,(sorry Walton) made a quality save in injury time.

Bring on Leeds now, which we'll probably end up winning right before the international break ruins our momentum.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stuart said:

When Sheffield Wednesday scored Mowbray was just about to bring on Corey Evans to protect a 0-0 scoreline and hopefully take a point. His petulant outburst - throwing the bottle on the pitch - shows he is still passionate, or under huge pressure, but his decision making shows he not up to the task at hand.

As it was Murphy’s 83rd minute goal forced Mowbray’s hand. There was no way he could bring Evans on at that point. Painted into a corner he sent Evans to get changed and brought Buckley on instead. The young lad the game was crying out for and wouldn’t have been on the pitch if Mowbray had his way. We would all have been robbed of that - Buckley included.

Almost released from the shackles of another depressingly negative substitution, the players responded and we got one of the best finishes to a match in the last two-and-a-half years.

Interesting. Classic Mowbray. It’s just like under bowyer we’re terrified of trying to win if it means risking a defeat. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bohinen 22 said:

Mowbray is going nowhere. Can criticise him when he deserves it but think he got it right with his back four today. And obviously the subs too. Graham needs to start every week. He's still class.

Agree with that.  I thought Graham made a huge difference when he came on as did Rothwell.  I thought the manager did OK today with selection, tactics and substitutions.  I really don't see Mowbray leaving anytime soon.  With the supporters still behind him in the main - certainly no "Mowbray Out" chants despite recent results, I suspect that he will be given until the end of this season at the very least and if I'm honest I suspect he will still be here in twelve months time if we finish this season around the half-way mark.

With money having been spent on upgrading the scouting network and with a number of young players coming through the Academy, I suspect the owners will see how things go rather than pay up the manager and backroom staff and then have to shell out for another manager and support staff.  They seem to have bought into the 'long term' project for the moment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Agree with that.  I thought Graham made a huge difference when he came on as did Rothwell.  I thought the manager did OK today with selection, tactics and substitutions.  I really don't see Mowbray leaving anytime soon.  With the supporters still behind him in the main - certainly no "Mowbray Out" chants despite recent results, I suspect that he will be given until the end of this season at the very least and if I'm honest I suspect he will still be here in twelve months time if we finish this season around the half-way mark.

With money having been spent on upgrading the scouting network and with a number of young players coming through the Academy, I suspect the owners will see how things go rather than pay up the manager and backroom staff and then have to shell out for another manager and support staff.  They seem to have bought into the 'long term' project for the moment.

True because Venky's only remember they own Rovers when it comes up at the AGM every 12 months.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stuart said:

Anyone of a sensitive disposition should look away now...

I’ll preface what I’m about to say by saying that Buckley’s goal was a fantastic moment, and the most I’ve celebrated at Ewood for a long time. That’s a massive 3 points that we really needed and I was genuinely delighted.

But... sadly, it has probably just removed any hope of a managerial change until it is too late.

If today’s result is to count for anything then Mowbray must be sacked. Tonight. With immediate effect. Or he should have the decency to walk.

Today’s win was in spite of Mowbray and not because of him.

This team, this squad, this club, is capable of so much more and the current manager is now holding us back.

“We’ve won stop being so negative/miserable/churlish” I hear you cry. But I’m even more resolute than ever that Mowbray’s instincts are now stopping this team from reaching its potential. The player huddle after the final whistle showed the spirit is there. I have always credited Mowbray with producing that. But in a division like the Championship we need more than that. We need bold decision making and to go out and get 3 points instead of settling for 1. Yes, it was a decent opposition side but we have lost to Luton and Charlton too and with an attacking ethos rather than negative one, our boys showed we can live with them.

Thanks for everything, Tony. But that substitution debacle felt like a watershed moment for me, it’s time to go.

Nah, Evans AND Bucko were warming up together when Murphy scored in the 83rd minute. Your point is also fairly moot bearing in mind the two other subs he’d made in the second half were clearly sent out there to WIN us the game.

The match didn’t turn on Bucko coming on, it turned on the equaliser which came out of nowhere. But the result was one we were well worthy of after being the better team for around 60 minutes of the game.

Mowbray did his job yesterday in setting up the defence which looked solid overall and in making the substitutions which had a positive effect on the results. I’d like to see that happen much more regularly. Whether it be under him or the next manager.

• Like 4

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Nah, Evans AND Bucko were warming up together when Murphy scored in the 83rd minute. Your point is also fairly moot bearing in mind the two other subs he’d made in the second half were clearly sent out there to WIN us the game.

The match didn’t turn on Bucko coming on, it turned on the equaliser which came out of nowhere. But the result was one we were well worthy of after being the better team for around 60 minutes of the game.

Mowbray did his job yesterday in setting up the defence which looked solid overall and in making the substitutions which had a positive effect on the results. I’d like to see that happen much more regularly. Whether it be under him or the next manager.

Paul, I’d be astonished if you did agree with me. :rolleyes:

You are wrong though. When they scored neither were warming up. Evans was stood in full kit being prepped to come on. The decision had already made.

The result turn on Buckley coming on. That’s simply a fact.

Just now, Stuart said:

Paul, I’d be astonished if you did agree with me. :rolleyes:

You are wrong though. When they scored neither were warming up. Evans was stood in full kit being prepped to come on. The decision had already made.

The result turn on Buckley coming on. That’s simply a fact.

I think you’ll find it’s an opinion. I love Bucko. I’ve been harping on about him for  months but I’m not sure he even touched the ball until he scored the winner. The match 100% turned on Tosins goal.

I agree with and like quite a bit of your stuff and you talk sense. But ultimately your post last night was wrong. The manager had a good day yesterday. He set a team up well to nullify and better a decent side. He made proactive substitutes before their lucky goal and both Graham and Rothwell were positive influences on the match. His summer signing Tosin (who was absolutely amazing) gets the equaliser and the young lad who he’s had practicing his finishing all week comes on and gets the winner.

By somehow spinning this into yet another negative view on Mowbray it just weakens your / our argument. Because any person at the game today will accept that he did his job well.

Does that mean he’s the right man to take us on? Probably not. 

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I think you’ll find it’s an opinion. I love Bucko. I’ve been harping on about him for  months but I’m not sure he even touched the ball until he scored the winner. The match 100% turned on Tosins goal.

I agree with and like quite a bit of your stuff and you talk sense. But ultimately your post last night was wrong. The manager had a good day yesterday. He set a team up well to nullify and better a decent side. He made proactive substitutes before their lucky goal and both Graham and Rothwell were positive influences on the match. His summer signing Tosin (who was absolutely amazing) gets the equaliser and the young lad who he’s had practicing his finishing all week comes on and gets the winner.

By somehow spinning this into yet another negative view on Mowbray it just weakens your / our argument. Because any person at the game today will accept that he did his job well.

Does that mean he’s the right man to take us on? Probably not. 

Disagree. You need to pick one thread though Paul because you are dragging out your poorly thought out defence of Mowbray in two different ones at the minute.

He got lucky yesterday.

Or...

He’s been unlucky in the previous six games and yesterday was what he is really all about. Despite the evidence.

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

With the supporters still behind him in the main - certainly no "Mowbray Out" chants

I wouldn’t say that no ‘Mowbray out’ chants means most are behind him. It took until Boxing Day at Barnsley (and amazingly until February at Ewood) for Coyle to receive any kind of chants against him - and that was Coyle, who any Rovers fan with their head screwed on would have been against from the start.

No matter how bad things get, I don’t think Mowbray will ever be on the end of ‘Mowbray out’ chants. Maybe a ‘Tony, sort it out’ at most.

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think you’ll find it’s an opinion

Your opinion differs from the bare face facts. 
You are entitled to hold that opinion. 
Your opinion is wrong though. 

Just now, Stuart said:

Disagree. You need to pick one thread though Paul because you are dragging out your poorly thought out defence of Mowbray in two different ones at the minute.

He got lucky yesterday.

Or...

He’s been unlucky in the previous six games and yesterday was what he is really all about. Despite the evidence.

He's done his job in one out of 7 games and this 7th is the one Paul and many others will judge him on! Its all okay!!!

Bonkers.

• Like 1

Just now, frosty said:

I wouldn’t say that no ‘Mowbray out’ chants means most are behind him. It took until Boxing Day at Barnsley (and amazingly until February at Ewood) for Coyle to receive any kind of chants against him - and that was Coyle, who any Rovers fan with their head screwed on would have been against from the start.

No matter how bad things get, I don’t think Mowbray will ever be on the end of ‘Mowbray out’ chants. Maybe a ‘Tony, sort it out’ at most.

This is the Better Than Kean principle.

47 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He got lucky yesterday.

Or...

Haha - how difficult can this be for you? An experienced manager who In general has done a good job for us, had his first good managerial day in the last 7. Does it mean all is forgiven? No. Does it make him the man to lead us on? Not really. 

But it’s pretty clear that he got it right yesterday. We were the better team and when faced with adversity the manager and players got the decisions right. The end.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 47er said:

He's done his job in one out of 7 games and this 7th is the one Paul and many others will judge him on! Its all okay!!!

Bonkers.

Read my posts. I’m saying that he’s not the guy to take us forwards. You, on the other hand are proving that you are so obsessed with the manager that you can’t even give him an ounce of credit, even when he’s obviously done his job.

Maybe you think that by conceding he did a good job for one game that you are somehow strengthening the managers stance. But I think you and Stuart have lost perspective on this. When you can’t be balanced then you seem bitter. Im convinced that even if Mowbray got us into the top 6 you’d probably say it was ‘luck’ or ‘in spite’ of him. Weird agenda.

*for the record, I’d still get a new manager in. Sorry to keep repeating but I know you’re desperate to label me a ‘happy clapper’ etc. 

1 hour ago, frosty said:

I pretty much agree with that.  Mowbray still has a huge amount of credit in the bag with a large section of the fanbase - probably the majority of the fanbase in fairness.  I know that doesn't sit well with some on here but I believe that to be the position at the moment.  I don't think defeat yesterday would have led to any questioning of his position in Pune.  At the moment the owners have bought into the project that he has outlined to them and I suspect they will see it out - certainly until the end of the season and possibly well into next season.  

Mowbray is the first manager that they have given a long term contract to and clearly they have a good relationship with him.  I think as long as we stay clear of the relegation places and keep bobbing in and around the half-way mark I suspect they will continue to back him.  Then again, with Venky's you never know but, personally, I would be amazed if Mowbray isn't here at the end of the season. 

It's up to him to improve what we are seeing on the pitch and to bring in the players that we need to play the style of football that he wants.  My biggest criticism of the manager is that he changed the style of play without having the squad of players capable of carrying it out successfully.  Whilst I may not agree with many of the decisions he has made of late I honestly don't feel that a change of manager is imminent.  

• Like 2