BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

18 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

It's a mystery. Meanwhile the weeds grow unabated in front of the JW stand.

It's getting absolutely filthy outside the railings of the JW stand...looks like it hasn't been cleaned for 12 months....disgrace.Whether that be the fault of the club or the Council it needs sorting and fast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

It's getting absolutely filthy outside the railings of the JW stand...looks like it hasn't been cleaned for 12 months....disgrace.Whether that be the fault of the club or the Council it needs sorting and fast.

Only have to look at the state of the areas around Ewood to see what little pride the council have in the area.

'No money' they cry yet found plenty under the mattress for the caravan site, white elephant bus lanes and squads of wardens out on matchday trying to catch people for parking.

• Like 1

Re Mowbray think it’s pretty certain no decision will be taken this side of Christmas,which I think is right, see where we are and  hopefully back him with a few quid in January.

Just going to watch Stoke, bottom of the league, but remember in the close season one or two on here saying they were a proper club,signing half a dozen in a week, while we were dithering,some good signings as well, but as we all know funny game this football.

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

Re Mowbray think it’s pretty certain no decision will be taken this side of Christmas,which I think is right, see where we are and  hopefully back him with a few quid in January.

Just going to watch Stoke, bottom of the league, but remember in the close season one or two on here saying they were a proper club,signing half a dozen in a week, while we were dithering,some good signings as well, but as we all know funny game this football.

I think you are right about Mowbray..going nowhere any time soon..

I thought Stoke would be top 6 this season. Sadly I was wrong. Those 6 players they signed alot wasnt the require quality for me..

I think they go someone like Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew, Martin O'Neill. 

• Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 12:54, Stuart said:

Anyone of a sensitive disposition should look away now...

I’ll preface what I’m about to say by saying that Buckley’s goal was a fantastic moment, and the most I’ve celebrated at Ewood for a long time. That’s a massive 3 points that we really needed and I was genuinely delighted.

But... sadly, it has probably just removed any hope of a managerial change until it is too late.

If today’s result is to count for anything then Mowbray must be sacked. Tonight. With immediate effect. Or he should have the decency to walk.

Today’s win was in spite of Mowbray and not because of him.

When Sheffield Wednesday scored Mowbray was just about to bring on Corey Evans to protect a 0-0 scoreline and hopefully take a point. His petulant outburst - throwing the bottle on the pitch - shows he is still passionate, or under huge pressure, but his decision making shows he not up to the task at hand.

As it was Murphy’s 83rd minute goal forced Mowbray’s hand. There was no way he could bring Evans on at that point. Painted into a corner he sent Evans to get changed and brought Buckley on instead. The young lad the game was crying out for and wouldn’t have been on the pitch if Mowbray had his way. We would all have been robbed of that - Buckley included.

Almost released from the shackles of another depressingly negative substitution, the players responded and we got one of the best finishes to a match in the last two-and-a-half years.

This team, this squad, this club, is capable of so much more and the current manager is now holding us back.

“We’ve won stop being so negative/miserable/churlish” I hear you cry. But I’m even more resolute than ever that Mowbray’s instincts are now stopping this team from reaching its potential. The player huddle after the final whistle showed the spirit is there. I have always credited Mowbray with producing that. But in a division like the Championship we need more than that. We need bold decision making and to go out and get 3 points instead of settling for 1. Yes, it was a decent opposition side but we have lost to Luton and Charlton too and with an attacking ethos rather than negative one, our boys showed we can live with them.

Thanks for everything, Tony. But that substitution debacle felt like a watershed moment for me, it’s time to go.

I agree.

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you are right about Mowbray..going nowhere any time soon..

I thought Stoke would be top 6 this season. Sadly I was wrong. Those 6 players they signed alot wasnt the require quality for me..

I think they go someone like Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew, Martin O'Neill. 

Why sadly regarding Stoke? The more clubs in disarray, the better for us surely.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Amo said:

I wouldn't trust him with a Tesco's voucher, let alone more money to piss up the wall.

You probably thought it would have been a good idea to get Nathan Jones who did wonders with Luton, good upcoming manager, like I said he’s blown it at Stoke, Mowbray has a few faults as we all know but to say you wouldnt trust him with a Tesco voucher is, in my view a little harsh.

Think he’s signed a few decent players and also some not so decent, but he is a proper football manager who sometimes overthinks his tactics, but compared with some of the dross we’ve had he’s not too bad.

I personally think we have some very good players, and I would like him to get his best formation,stick with the same side,injures permitting, and see where it takes us.

• Like 2

Just now, unsall said:

You probably thought it would have been a good idea to get Nathan Jones who did wonders with Luton, good upcoming manager, like I said he’s blown it at Stoke, Mowbray has a few faults as we all know but to say you wouldnt trust him with a Tesco voucher is, in my view a little harsh.

Think he’s signed a few decent players and also some not so decent, but he is a proper football manager who sometimes overthinks his tactics, but compared with some of the dross we’ve had he’s not too bad.

I personally think we have some very good players, and I would like him to get his best formation,stick with the same side,injures permitting, and see where it takes us.

He spent £12m on two strikers who have scored a grand total of 2 goals between them.

Bought Chapman. Never plays him. Bought Johnson. Already dropped.

Dack has been his only standout signing. I'd include Rothwell, but he hasn't made his mind up about him.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, unsall said:

No argument from me with this, but is there something that makes you think he will do this? Knowing that the team each week usually features at least one change....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unsall said:

I can certainly see your reasoning with most of this post, and would be inclined to agree, but the bit in bold, is never, ever going to happen, and for me is the most frustrating thing about the Mowbray regime so far.

• Like 3

Well i go back to Saxton but can't remember much about his tactics and selection policy and wasn't really bothered at that age. From then to now though in my humble opinion TM is the most frustrating manager we've ever had here.

Not the worst by a long chalk and at one point looked like he could be shaping up into a top 5 Rovers gaffer in that time but has levelled out and is in real danger of dropping down the rankings for me. Yes it takes time but some of his policies are glaringly contributing to a lack of consistency and strength in key areas.

He has the experience and he's had the backing so his side should be tenth place and above capable.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

No argument from me with this, but is there something that makes you think he will do this? Knowing that the team each week usually features at least one change....

Yeah on his own admission he picks the side depending on the other teams quality’s, but I would like him to try and keep to the same team more than he does.

Sometimes it can work, changing the formation from a back 4 to a back 3, think it was the Millwall manager, as was,who said he surprised him when we played them and started with 3 at the back.

Coyle could only play 442 and was very predictable which probably contributed to our downfall, but do think TM changes too many personnel/ positions but compared with Coyle, much better tactical.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Amo said:

He spent £12m on two strikers who have scored a grand total of 2 goals between them.

Bought Chapman. Never plays him. Bought Johnson. Already dropped.

Dack has been his only standout signing. I'd include Rothwell, but he hasn't made his mind up about him.

Rothwell's career is stagnating with us, surely he will want away? Bewldering really.

Just now, 47er said:

Rothwell's career is stagnating with us, surely he will want away? Bewldering really.

This is the highest level he’s ever been at, and no doubt his biggest wage, so I’m not sure he’d do much better by leaving. Let’s see how many offers roll in for him in January.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

This is the highest level he’s ever been at, and no doubt his biggest wage, so I’m not sure he’d do much better by leaving. Let’s see how many offers roll in for him in January.

Has the potential to be TM's most inspired signing after Dack (not that there's a lot of competition!). I think he would do very well at another Championship club. Dare I say---like Preston?

If  there is no-one sniffing about its because he doesn't play enough to be noticed but if things carry on like they are he'll make his own waves.Inevitable---use him or lose him Tony!

39 minutes ago, 47er said:

He never seems to perform when he starts games unfortunately. However maybe he needs a run, like travis got (by default) last season. I am still astounded by mowbray dropping travis for evans for the preston game. That was one of the worst managerial decisions i have ever seen, it really was ridiculous.

Edited by AAK

Just now, AAK said:

He never seems to perform when he starts games unfortunately. However maybe he needs a run, like travis got (by default) last season. I am still astounded by mowbray dropping travis for evans for the preston game. That was one of the worst managerial decisions i have ever seen, it really was ridiculous.

He did get a run last season and he was outstanding so im not sure that is a fair comment at all. He in that last 10/12 games regularly was a key player for us.

He this season was undeservedly dropped at the start of the season despite this, with Mowbrays favourite Armstrong preferred. He has started 3 games, all in isolation, all away from home in difficult games.