BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

55 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I'll take this bet, there is no way Travis & Buckley will be our two regular central midfielders by christmas, or even this season.

It would be madness anyway when we have Holtby on the books, he really should be in that position with Travis.

I didn’t say they’d be our regular starting CM by Christmas. I said that Buckley would be playing / involved regularly from Christmas and that eventually I see him settling in CM next to Trav. 

Holtby is 100% not a CM. But hey ho. Game of opinions I guess.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He will finish up playing with Trav in the middle as a deep lying pivot. A Busquets type who has time on the ball. 

He will go on to play in the Prem. imo.

At least we can see a player in there, as some of the dross we have had, over the last few years, are more like deep lying divots than pivots, whatever that is!!

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I didn’t say they’d be our regular starting CM by Christmas. I said that Buckley would be playing / involved regularly from Christmas and that eventually I see him settling in CM next to Trav. 

Indeed, I always find it fascinating debating football as two people rarely see everything the same.

Where would you play Holtby out of interest?

I see him as an attacking central midfielder coming from deep who can chip in with the odd goal, play a killer pass, and who can put his foot in aswell rather than a number 10 type player who plays off the forward, if you look at his career stats he doesn't score enough goals for a number 10, and please dont go all Mowbray on me and suggest he should play as a wide forward!

Think Travis and Holtby would make a cracking midfield pair if given 10/12 games together.

• Like 3

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Indeed, I always find it fascinating debating football as two people rarely see everything the same.

Where would you play Holtby out of interest?

I see him as an attacking central midfielder coming from deep who can chip in with the odd goal, play a killer pass, and who can put his foot in aswell rather than a number 10 type player who plays off the forward, if you look at his career stats he doesn't score enough goals for a number 10, and please dont go all Mowbray on me and suggest he should play as a wide forward!

Think Travis and Holtby would make a cracking midfield pair if given 10/12 games together.

I’m not saying they couldn’t play together tbh though I’d prefer to play with a three rather than a two. Mainly because neither Trav or Holtby have played there much in their careers. Trav has been a rb for all of his career. He still struggles at times with options and threats at 360 degrees as oppose to full back where you play roughly within a 45 degree arc. Holtby is naturally forward thinking and creative so needs that bit more protection. 

I think Buckley will play as a pivot (Busquets / Carrick) because that’s his natural position. His feet and mind are miles ahead of Trav now. He just Needs to fill out a bit and get a run in the team. But he can do the dirty stuff too and will not get caught out of position.

I like the Idea of 4231 formation with something like Arma, Dack and Holtby sat in front of Trav and Buckley (who will dictate the play and step out when needed to make it a 4141). I can see that being used under this regime very soon. Still have decent options backing up too. Johnson, Davenport, Downing, Rothwell, JRC...

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I see Holtby as the exact same type of player as Dack. Only difference is you can use Holtby out wide if needed. 

If Dack goes in the summer then I have no doubt Holtby will play as the No.10. 

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m not saying they couldn’t play together tbh though I’d prefer to play with a three rather than a two. Mainly because neither Trav or Holtby have played there much in their careers. Trav has been a rb for all of his career. He still struggles at times with options and threats at 360 degrees as oppose to full back where you play roughly within a 45 degree arc. Holtby is naturally forward thinking and creative so needs that bit more protection. 

I think Buckley will play as a pivot (Busquets / Carrick) because that’s his natural position. His feet and mind are miles ahead of Trav now. He just Needs to fill out a bit and get a run in the team. But he can do the dirty stuff too and will not get caught out of position.

I like the Idea of 4231 formation with something like Arma, Dack and Holtby sat in front of Trav and Buckley (who will dictate the play and step out when needed to make it a 4141). I can see that being used under this regime very soon. Still have decent options backing up too. Johnson, Davenport, Downing, Rothwell, JRC...

Fair enough.

I quite like the thought of Arma, Dack and Rothwell as the "attacking 3" with Travis & Holtby behind them if we are to persist with the 4231.

I do look forward to seeing if your predictions about Buckley come true, I hope they do.

• Like 2

Interesting if correct and i said from the min they declared their interest that Downing would be on big money and that should go towards a defender.

He's turned out ok so far but i still maintain that money is down the pan it would have gone a long way towards Bauer or similar. 

Jobs for the boys.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

We also gave him a new deal after promotion. I'd expect his agent to be kicking off big time if he was on a fraction of the wage of new signings.

True but still a Championship club, whereas Gallagher was on PL payscale.

Edited by Amo

When you look at this seasons signings of Gally, Downing, Johnson there is over 4 million annually there in wages alone.  Can't see that being right but you never know and if so crazy crazy stuff going on again.

Then you look at the defence and keeper and lack of proper investment there it is no wonder he's getting question for his transfers now.

Flabbergasted to be honest and a little bit concerned what the real motives are here.

• Like 1

That wages thing was posted on Facebook group. I find it hard to believe, add them all up, look at the accounts, doesn't add up to me at all.

John Buckley isn't a central midfielder for me. He's always looked best at Leyland for me as a CAM and a RWB. The reason he won't/can't play at CAM is because of Bradley Dack. So he comes on further back in midfield and looks *okay*. He's not got the physicality to play as a true central midfielder, and he has looked better as the right-wing-back in a 5 under Damien Johnson, or an attacking mid, rather than a holding midfielder.