BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

My view is still the same is that we need a change and that hasn't change on the back of 1 win. 

I listened to Norwich City's Sporting Director last night before their game and found what he had to say very interesting and I agree with most of what he said. 

We don't have a game for 2 weeks now so will the owners decide to make a change of manager. 

Fair play, Chaddy.

My view is still the same is that we need a change and that hasn't change on the back of 1 win. 

I listened to Norwich City's Sporting Director last night before their game and found what he had to say very interesting and I agree with most of what he said. 

We don't have a game for 2 weeks now so will the owners decide to make a change of manager. 

What did he have to say about being bottom of the table ?

52 points from 45 games since last seasons Preston horror show now.

Scored 64, Conceded 72 in that amount of time.

Mowbray is very lucky he's at a club where nobody really cares what is going on for me, he wouldn't be surviving that record over that amount of games at many other clubs I think.

• Like 6

Everyone is entitled to their view. [Plenty of fans at Ewood Park are right behind him and think he is the right manager for us. Wont have a word said against him. 

Some fans are also behind Venkys. It's a kind of learned helplessness.

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

Some fans are also behind Venkys. It's a kind of learned helplessness.

Was talking to someone last night who insisted Mowbray was a good manager who had stabilised the club.

IMO results and lack of ideas don't lie. We are going backwards and time is also an issue. I'd rather Venkys go and we start all over again.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

52 points from 45 games since last seasons Preston horror show now.

Scored 64, Conceded 72 in that amount of time.

Mowbray is very lucky he's at a club where nobody really cares what is going on for me, he wouldn't be surviving that record over that amount of games at many most other clubs I think.

Just one word amendment

He is a good manager, club manager that is behind the scenes and terms of putting players first.  On the pitch he's absolute bang average to poor and yes many of us said the same in league 1.  He got the job done and did well and earned many plaudits but it was pretty much expected given what he had to play with. His one and only masterstroke was getting Dack in and even then he stumbled on and was fortunate for the fact that him and Graham instantly clicked. Once he'd changed the daft formation he'd planned to use.

He's stabilised the club for sure but on the pitch we are going clearly backwards and the club itself will never kick on until things are as they should be at first team level. Doesn't matter how much good work goes on behind the scenes because it'll be wasted if we drop again. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Apparently he said today after the game "Leeds didn't have hundreds of shots"

No Tony, they had 15.

What the hell is he on about? Is it just me or is he talking absolute cobblers?

Should have been replaced in Feb and nothing has changed.

Who do you think it is likely the owners would (as opposed to "should") replace him with ?

Just now, DE. said:

I'd say the majority of them are these days, if facebook and twitter are anything to go by. 

A lot of teenagers only know Venkys as Rovers owners.

Poor bastards. :(

A lot of them won’t even have heard of Steve Kean.

Lucky bastards. ?

They have little or now expectation so think the lower Championship is good. Anyone who got to watch Hughes’ Rovers will think differently. Let alone Souness’. (Never mind King Kenny’s!)

• Like 6

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Fair play, Chaddy.

1 win wasn't going to change my mind. now if we won today and played well and been solid defensively, then follow it with a few more wins then I might change my mind but no chance of it on current form. 

We need a new manager/head coach with fresh ideas and willing to give the youth a chance and sign experience players we need in positions we needed then. 

I would still like Damien Johnson given a go. Other names I would look at are Gareth Ainsworth, Nigel Pearson, and I'm sure people will have the own suggestions aswell. I feel that Hughton and Pulis are well out of our reach as a club due to wage demands, budgets they want. 

I've been very impressed with Forest manager Lamouchi since he come into Championship. His game plan, structure, defensive shape and organised defence 

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

What did he have to say about being bottom of the table ?

He spoke about the structure of the club and his role within the structure. 

Also said German coaches are head coaches not managers as they are used to Sporting Director/head coach structure not the English structure

Who do you think it is likely the owners would (as opposed to "should") replace him with ?

The fact that the powers that be might appoint someone worse should never be used as an excuse for keeping someone who is failing miserably in situ.

If you take that attitude you'd barely ever have a change of manager and if we hadn't pulled the plug on managers in the past we'd never have enjoyed success under the likes of Furphy, Lee, Kendall, Dalglish, Souness (temporarily) Hughes etc.

I'm not sure who the current owners would replace him with were he to be replaced. Probably someone currently out of work but the obvious short term option would be to give it to Damien Johnson on a short term basis and see how he goes. Let's face it, he could hardly do any worse.

• Like 4

Can’t we settle on ‘could’? At least it give us hope.

’Would’ could be anything from Coyle to Lambert to another Mowbray. They would surely be looking at someone with Championship promotion on their CV.

We can rule out Warnock and any current PL manager so the list of ‘woulds’ should be...

2009/10 Hughton (Newcastle)

2011/12 McDermott (Reading)

2012/13 Mackay (Cardiff)

2013/14 Pearson (Leicester)

2016/17 Benitez (Newcastle)

Benitez is dreamland because of the money he will be on now but might want to be back in Europe.

Hughton would surely be most logical, i.e. promoted 10 years ago (same logic and Coyle and Mowbray).

Edit: Hughton also promoted again in 2016/17 so maybe too good (too expensive).

Edited by Stuart

The fact that the powers that be might appoint someone worse should never be used as an excuse for keeping someone who is failing miserably in situ.

If you take that attitude you'd barely ever have a change of manager and if we hadn't pulled the plug on managers in the past we'd never have enjoyed success under the likes of Furphy, Lee, Kendall, Dalglish, Souness (temporarily) Hughes etc.

I'm not sure who the current owners would replace him with were he to be replaced. Probably someone currently out of work but the obvious short term option would be to give it to Damien Johnson on a short term basis and see how he goes. Let's face it, he could hardly do any worse.

The new Tony Parkes?

Just now, Stuart said:

Can’t we settle on ‘could’? At least it give us hope.

’Would’ could be anything from Coyle to Lambert to another Mowbray. They would surely be looking at someone with Championship promotion on their CV.

We can rule out Warnock and any current PL manager so the list of ‘woulds’ should be...

2009/10 Hughton (Newcastle)

2011/12 McDermott (Reading)

2012/13 Mackay (Cardiff)

2013/14 Pearson (Leicester)

2016/17 Benitez (Newcastle)

Benitez is dreamland because of the money he will be on now but might want to be back in Europe.

Hughton would surely be most logical, i.e. promoted 10 years ago (same logic and Coyle and Mobrway).

Hughton wont come here. 

He turned then Stoke job down twice and Sheff Wed job in the summer. 

why would he come here when the reason according to the press he is waiting for PL job

Sadly all those examples of change of manager you correctly identify happened when we had owners of better judgement than the present incumbents. Therefore I don't think it is right to say that the possibility of someone worse should not be used as an excuse - although of course you are entitled to a different viewpoint.

Hughton wont come here. 

why would he come here when the reason according to the press he is waiting for PL job

Money. So I guess you are right, rule him out too.

Pearson it is then.

David Lowe ?

He's been here long enough he might be a Tony Parkes, get back to basics and get some points on the board. If him or Johnson or the both of them got us to the end of the season in lower mid then maybe a rethink in summer.

What's the difference between them doing it or Mowbray ?  At least there'd be a platform for change created instead of limping to summer then limping into next season groundhog style as we surely will.

Just now, Proudtobeblue&white said:

The new Tony Parkes?

I doubt anyone would ever undertake that role again as many times as Parkes but right here right now who knows? 

We desperately need an injection of new ideas and enthusiasm from somewhere and we'll never know if we never give him the chance.

• Like 1

Hughton wont come here. 

I think you are right about Hughton - at least until the end of this season when he may have to lower his sights. Mackay and Pearson look a bit unlikely as they have some "form" on matters not directly related to football

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Apparently he said today after the game "Leeds didn't have hundreds of shots"

No Tony, they had 15.

What the hell is he on about? Is it just me or is he talking absolute cobblers?

Should have been replaced in Feb and nothing has changed.

Just making any old excuse to cover his tracks.

I’ve heard people in kitchen discos at daft o’clock chat less noise than him.

• Like 3

I think you are right about Hughton - at least until the end of this season when he may have to lower his sights. Mackay and Pearson look a bit unlikely as they have some "form" on matters not directly related to football

That could make them more likely! 

• Like 1

Sadly all those examples of change of manager you correctly identify happened when we had owners of better judgement than the present incumbents. Therefore I don't think it is right to say that the possibility of someone worse should not be used as an excuse - although of course you are entitled to a different viewpoint.

If we don't get rid of Mowbray we'll go down. May limp narrowly  to safety this season, may not, but if not it'll happen next season or the one after.

So I would flip your argument round and say if you know you're going to ultimately fail under this manager, why would you bother hanging onto him? The sooner he goes and you take your chances elsewhere the better.