BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The performances have been better recently, thats for sure, but that is helped by the fact we were so abysmal in the games before that. We are 1 or 2 poor results from being in the relegation zone. We look a poor team, with players unsure of their roles. Tony is lucky that he is still here. 

We are a very poor team.

Impotent in attack, lots of pointless possession and giving away cheap goals. 

All that adds up to probable relegation in my experience.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

This interview should be the tipping point for anybody who still backs him. He is talking about results with this quote.

“Is it a concern? I judge the team on their performance levels,” Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph.

Hopefully he understands if you lose too many games you get relegated.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18027479.is-concern--rovers-boss-mowbray-recent-results/

On my PC that article is followed by an advert selling apartments in Dubai with an aerial photo of the Palms. Quite fitting.

Mowbray is a bumbling fool.

Very cleverly though he has ingratiated himself with the lunatics in Pune, appointed his mates to positions of power at Ewood and has succeeded in continuing to con a large section of the remaining fanbase.

Open. honest, integrity ..... BULLSHIT

We will reap what this C. sows

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, tomphil said:

This Scott Dann myth needs putting to bed once and for all i think.  Our favourite scribe who was well in at the time given his connections to the Kean camp laid it out as a deal that could rise to 7 million. Although to be fair it was still a big commitment i don't think the intention was to ever actually stump it all up.

We paid about a million up front then there was a load of add ons and clauses in there. Nixon said something along the lines of he'd have to play for England so many times, get promoted with Rovers and be here a number of years before it would ever reach that figure. By the time we'd sold him it was generally thought they'd more or less recouped what he'd cost up to that point c3 millionish i think it was ?

That was another of Keans questionable motive signings, nothing more than get him in unfit, get him fit and in the shop window then flog him. Remember Brum were desperate to shift him off the payroll so the figure was dressed up in the press to appease their lot.

Thanks. That would underscore the point we're trying to put across, which is strikers are a softer sell when it comes to loosening the purse-strings. After all, it's easier to quantify a striker's worth than it is any other position.

• Like 2

He sounds desperate to me;

“Is it a concern? I judge the team on their performance levels,” That's not answering your own question, Tony. 

“No-one likes losing football matches. If we were getting rolled over easily every game then that would be a concern but I don’t think that’s the case." The old 'we're only losing by the smallest margins' statement only made by managers under pressure. 

"We need to reverse that and be saying we’ve won six out of eight and then suddenly you’re on the cusp of the play-offs. That’s this league." This is an utterly ridiculous statement say given our form.

“How important is one player missing for six weeks? Pretty important I’d say when he’s your main defender. We’re trying to get by. Nyambe is a young boy who is doing his very best." Absolute classic Mowbray this; blaming junior players with little or no foundation. He's also now backed himself into a corner for when Lenihan returns and we continue losing.

I genuinely think he is feeling it. There aren't the words of a man who is comfortable in his job. I suspect he knows Venky's are watching and expecting better given the investments they've made in transfers, let alone what it's costing them to keep the lights on.

If there's no improvement I'm guessing he will be gone by the end of the year, the real worry is what clown they will bring in to replace him. 

• Like 3

Why have the Venkys Not Sacked the guy yet !!! In a Normal club that has any aspirations for getting out of this league he would have been potted by now 

Venkys have backed him but he’s let everybody down ... TM likes talking about the good old days a lot !! In the good old days Tony Managers used to walk by themselves when they had no effect anymore about

from Going on winning runs like Villa did 10 in a row last week to this weeks 6 in 8! 

think he’s lost the plot totally ... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The performances have been better recently, thats for sure, but that is helped by the fact we were so abysmal in the games before that. We are 1 or 2 poor results from being in the relegation zone. We look a poor team, with players unsure of their roles. Tony is lucky that he is still here. 

We must be watching different games as I dont recall any improvement in performances!

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Good piece on PNE and their manager Neil in the Times today.

Preston's starting XI on Saturday cost less than £1.5m in total. 

The playing budget, £15m, is among the bottom 5 in the division.

The £2m fee paid for Tom Bayliss from Coventry in August was a club record.

Over to you Tony, for an explanation on why you've underperformed despite spending tens of millions

Nobody in the media is asking him questions like that are they ? He get's a free ride every week. Today's reporters are spineless.

I remember the Rugby League correspondent of my local paper being banned from the ground after he'd criticised  the coach once too often. He ended up paying to go in and standing with the fans in a disguise !

• Like 3

Preston are run like a proper football club and have ambition but realistic expectation, at the moment. 

Rovers are run like a subsidiary of a generous but seriously misguided foreign conglomerate whose main idea for it seems to be a cross between accounting tool, loss leader, investment vehicle / play thing.  Depended on who at any given moment is calling the shots or taking an interest. And it comes way down the list behind family, religion, other business interests and whims. 

That means there's always likely to be delays on major decisions and still a vacuum between the club and India that depended on who's in it gets used to their own ends.  Not always crookedly but a closed shop can develop in which everyone is comfortable and nobody is really accountable to fans because the ultimate responsibility lies several thousand miles away.

All we have now is a more peaceful version of the same old model.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Good piece on PNE and their manager Neil in the Times today.

Preston's starting XI on Saturday cost less than £1.5m in total. 

The playing budget, £15m, is among the bottom 5 in the division.

The £2m fee paid for Tom Bayliss from Coventry in August was a club record.

Over to you Tony, for an explanation on why you've underperformed despite spending tens of millions

This one is entirely on the manager. We know you don't need to break the bank to get promoted.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

Preston are run like a proper football club and have ambition but realistic expectation, at the moment. 

Rovers are run like a subsidiary of a generous but seriously misguided foreign conglomerate whose main idea for it seems to be a cross between accounting tool, loss leader, investment vehicle / play thing.  Depended on who at any given moment is calling the shots or taking an interest. And it comes way down the list behind family, religion, other business interests and whims. 

That means there's always likely to be delays on major decisions and still a vacuum between the club and India that depended on who's in it gets used to their own ends.  Not always crookedly but a closed shop can develop in which everyone is comfortable and nobody is really accountable to fans because the ultimate responsibility lies several thousand miles away.

All we have now is a more peaceful version of the same old model.

All valid points, but we got our business done early on with Downing, Johnson, and Gallagher. There didn't appear to be much hold up there. The fact we passed on Bauer and had no Plan B other than a kid from Man City, is probably a damning indictment of our manager and his recruitment staff than anything else.

• Like 2

Just now, Amo said:

This one is entirely on the manager. We know you don't need to break the bank to get promoted.

The Times piece also said Peter Ridsdale of Leeds infamy is involved with PNE as an adviser to the Preston owner - which I didn't know.

Now he's a contentious figure but he knows football inside out and and certainly knows more than the "advisers" at Ewood

Nyambe thrown under the bus yet again despite being a young lad playing out of position. Pathetic and cowardly from Mowbray. Don't think i've ever heard him criticise Bennett, Armstrong, Gallagher, Williams in the numerous games they have been poor.  

• Like 3

Just now, OJRovers said:

Nyambe thrown under the bus yet again despite being a young lad playing out of position. Pathetic and cowardly from Mowbray. Don't think i've ever heard him criticise Bennett, Armstrong, Gallagher, Williams in the numerous games they have been poor.  

He only seems to throw our academy graduate players under the bus. Made Raya want to leave by singling him out every week, constantly putting down Ryan Nyambe. 

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

He only seems to throw our academy graduate players under the bus. Made Raya want to leave by singling him out every week, constantly putting down Ryan Nyambe. 

And his 'project signings' get away unscathed despite scoring two league goals between them and costing £12m. I thought Gallagher was ridiculously poor on Saturday. Before the hour mark he was blowing out of his arse. Both are physically (and likely mentally) weak.

Just now, arbitro said:

And his 'project signings' get away unscathed despite scoring two league goals between them and costing £12m. I thought Gallagher was ridiculously poor on Saturday. Before the hour mark he was blowing out of his arse. Both are physically (and likely mentally) weak.

Gallagher is a big 6’4 lad but plays like he’s the height of Paul Dickov. I’d argue Dickov was more effective at heading too if you take pointless flick ons out of the equation.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, Amo said:

All valid points, but we got our business done early on with Downing, Johnson, and Gallagher. There didn't appear to be much hold up there. The fact we passed on Bauer and had no Plan B other than a kid from Man City, is probably a damning indictment of our manager and his recruitment staff than anything else.

I agree but the comparisons were with North End who've been run in a stable manner for years - post that idiot Shaw.  

Agree on the manager bit and actually we have to credit Mowbray on getting on the plane early and getting over to India to pitch his plans whilst the going was good.  It seems that's the absolute only way to get at least some stuff done like other clubs do within an acceptable timeline. Doesn't mean the plans were the right ones of course.

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray is a bumbling fool.

Very cleverly though he has ingratiated himself with the lunatics in Pune, appointed his mates to positions of power at Ewood and has succeeded in continuing to con a large section of the remaining fanbase.

Open. honest, integrity ..... BULLSHIT

We will reap what this C. sows

Whilst I agree that the manager is struggling at the moment I can't agree with any of the above.

He certainly isn't a bumbling fool and I think to accuse him of been some sort of con merchant is totally out of order.

I would never question his honesty or integrity because I think they are beyond question.  I personally believe him to be a genuine guy doing his best but who is struggling at the moment to find the right solutions to problems, which in fairness, have been of his own making in terms of defenders.  I think it's those attributes that many supporters - perhaps not on here - have latched onto and is the reason why he is being given more time by the majority of the fanbase.

Ultimately, as with all managers, results will determine when the fanbase turns but, as yet, there is no real sign of it - either at Ewood or at away matches.

In recent weeks I have questioned many of the decisions that have been made and certainly have doubts about some of the signings we've made - Gallagher, Brereton and Chapman to name but three - but I would never question the guy's honesty or integrity.  

Managers have to have total self belief in what they are doing - after all there any number of folk telling them they are doing it wrong every week!

I believe Mowbray genuinely believes that he will take this club in the right direction over a period of time and I suspect that at the moment the owners will give him time.  The decision to pay up the remainder of his contract - together with others on the coaching staff - and then employ yet another manager and staff will not be one that the owners will be keen to take from a purely financial point of view. 

After the international break we have games where we would expect to turn our recent defeats into wins and draws.  The period between now and Christmas will be the one that may well determine his future.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We must be watching different games as I dont recall any improvement in performances!

Since we bet Reading in late September; the Luton, QPR and Birmingham performances were especially putrid. The Huddersfield, Forest, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds performances were better, if even due to showing more heart and effort. Although when I say better I mean relevant to the aforementioned shit. Still nowhere near good enough. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You never do. You mention the Forest game this morning as boring but I have no idea what game you were watching. We played really well and deserve to win. We played some good football. Plenty of fans I spoken to Agree with me