BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Gallagher is a big 6’4 lad but plays like he’s the height of Paul Dickov. I’d argue Dickov was more effective at heading too if you take pointless flick ons out of the equation.

Are you sure ? There are a few on here who reckon there's nothing wrong with his heading ability.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You never do. You mention the Forest game this morning as boring but I have no idea what game you were watching. We played really well and deserve to win. We played some good football. Plenty of fans I spoken to Agree with me

I thought we played good football for the final 20 minutes or so but predictably couldn't break down a Forest side we had on the ropes. They were delighted to get out with a point because they were poor and fell behind yet still got something. Our old problem of being unable to protect a lead and unable to turn dominance and possession into goals.

The remainder of that match, especially the first half, was the usual dull as dishwasher routine. Shed loads.of possession but doing nothing useful with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Whilst I agree that the manager is struggling at the moment I can't agree with any of the above.

He certainly isn't a bumbling fool and I think to accuse him of been some sort of con merchant is totally out of order.

I would never question his honesty or integrity because I think they are beyond question.  I personally believe him to be a genuine guy doing his best but who is struggling at the moment to find the right solutions to problems, which in fairness, have been of his own making in terms of defenders.  I think it's those attributes that many supporters - perhaps not on here - have latched onto and is the reason why he is being given more time by the majority of the fanbase.

Ultimately, as with all managers, results will determine when the fanbase turns but, as yet, there is no real sign of it - either at Ewood or at away matches.

In recent weeks I have questioned many of the decisions that have been made and certainly have doubts about some of the signings we've made - Gallagher, Brereton and Chapman to name but three - but I would never question the guy's honesty or integrity.  

Managers have to have total self belief in what they are doing - after all there any number of folk telling them they are doing it wrong every week!

I believe Mowbray genuinely believes that he will take this club in the right direction over a period of time and I suspect that at the moment the owners will give him time.  The decision to pay up the remainder of his contract - together with others on the coaching staff - and then employ yet another manager and staff will not be one that the owners will be keen to take from a purely financial point of view. 

After the international break we have games where we would expect to turn our recent defeats into wins and draws.  The period between now and Christmas will be the one that may well determine his future.

I sincerely hope that your appraisal is the correct one, he is contracted until 2022 and with his mates appointed above him his position is secure.

I simply do not believe that someone is open, honest and brimming with integrity and 'values' just because they tell me they are in every other interview.

Mowbray is running Ewood and that is simply wrong.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I think he'll be done with football now.

We had our chance and managed to cock it up in the most spectacular fashion.

Comfortably one of the worst decisions our clueless owners have ever made.

No chance- he was driving his wife mad  at home. She couldn’t stand him being at home all day. I think the big put off will be moving away from Cornwall. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, arbitro said:

This interview should be the tipping point for anybody who still backs him. He is talking about results with this quote.

“Is it a concern? I judge the team on their performance levels,” Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph.

Hopefully he understands if you lose too many games you get relegated.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18027479.is-concern--rovers-boss-mowbray-recent-results/

From the mouth of Kean himself...

“I think they still believe, they keep pushing hard. If we can stick three back-to-back wins together we’ll be right back in the mix and I think that’s what we have to keep believing that we’re not far away.

“We need to reverse that and be saying we’ve won six out of eight and then suddenly you’re on the cusp of the play-offs. That’s this league.

:( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Whilst I agree that the manager is struggling at the moment I can't agree with any of the above.

He certainly isn't a bumbling fool and I think to accuse him of been some sort of con merchant is totally out of order.

I would never question his honesty or integrity because I think they are beyond question.  I personally believe him to be a genuine guy doing his best but who is struggling at the moment to find the right solutions to problems, which in fairness, have been of his own making in terms of defenders.  I think it's those attributes that many supporters - perhaps not on here - have latched onto and is the reason why he is being given more time by the majority of the fanbase.

Ultimately, as with all managers, results will determine when the fanbase turns but, as yet, there is no real sign of it - either at Ewood or at away matches.

In recent weeks I have questioned many of the decisions that have been made and certainly have doubts about some of the signings we've made - Gallagher, Brereton and Chapman to name but three - but I would never question the guy's honesty or integrity.  

Managers have to have total self belief in what they are doing - after all there any number of folk telling them they are doing it wrong every week!

I believe Mowbray genuinely believes that he will take this club in the right direction over a period of time and I suspect that at the moment the owners will give him time.  The decision to pay up the remainder of his contract - together with others on the coaching staff - and then employ yet another manager and staff will not be one that the owners will be keen to take from a purely financial point of view. 

After the international break we have games where we would expect to turn our recent defeats into wins and draws.  The period between now and Christmas will be the one that may well determine his future.

The majority of the fans who can still be bothered to attend simply sit in a state of apethetic stupor.

I would imagine a good many are getting to the stage that I am at - i.e. What's the point?

The owners may well still believe all the talk of a "project", but more and more supporters are now seeing through this smoke and mirrors fabrication, and can see it's an excuse for mediocrity (at best) in the here and now.

There is little chance of the necessary change coming anytime soon, and even less chance of Neil Warnock taking over, (especially after the pantomime a few years ago when he was set to be appointed).

If he did come it would reignite my interest.

How great it would be to have a bloke with fire in his belly in the dugout.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

If he's expecting the fans (or rather the owners) to swallow the twaddle he's coming out with, then yeah he's not far off.

Not in the same league as the fork-tongued Glaswegian, of course.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Amo said:

If he's expecting the fans (or rather the owners) to swallow the twaddle he's coming out with, then yeah he's not far off.

Not in the same league as the fork-tongued Glaswegian, of course.

Getting uncomfortably close at times though! Kean was in a class of his own I admit, even lied about his dog!

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

Getting uncomfortably close at times though! Kean was in a class of his own I admit, even lied about his dog!

“We are not going to be able to invent 10 games where we can go on an unbeaten run because there are not enough games left.”

Try saying that in a Saltburn lilt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

From the mouth of Kean himself...

“I think they still believe, they keep pushing hard. If we can stick three back-to-back wins together we’ll be right back in the mix and I think that’s what we have to keep believing that we’re not far away.

“We need to reverse that and be saying we’ve won six out of eight and then suddenly you’re on the cusp of the play-offs. That’s this league.

:( 

Based on the leeds game, we are further away than ever.

4 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Good post as usual, and with a few winnable games coming up let’s see what happens.

Some of the dross directed at Mowbray is crazy, he’s been very good to the club and I hope he can turn it round. If he can’t come January,  well lets have a change, I still think we have some very decent players but the main problem is finding a settled side and focus on our strengths instead of keep changing the side to counter different  teams. 

Love the manager at Shef Unt who plays the same home and away, 3 at the back and play with no fear, and with no real stars, just high tempo stuff, So for me, give TM till after the Xmas games and see where we are.

1 minute ago, unsall said:

Love the manager at Shef Unt who plays the same home and away, 3 at the back and play with no fear, and with no real stars, just high tempo stuff, So for me, give TM till after the Xmas games and see where we are.

Well so do I! But, since TM doesn't do this and doesn't come any where near doing it, why is this an argument to give Mowbray more time?

• Like 7

Just now, 47er said:

Well so do I! But, since TM doesn't do this and doesn't come any where near doing it, why is this an argument to give Mowbray more time?

I know, right? Such a bizarre post. "I love the manager who's the complete antithesis of Mowbray... Let's give Tony some more time, eh?"

• Like 1

Not arsed about Warnock right now i think he'd only be interested in another last payday working a couple of shifts per week.  Not what we need although we might need to give him a call in a few months to pull us out the mire.

We need a decent name with proven pedigree within the last ten years or an ambitious out of the box type with a set of minerals not another genial uncle type. Forget unproven punts and dinosaurs off the scrapheap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If hes to go then it has to be sooner rather than later. The longer you leave it the further adrift you are, the more disillusioned players and fans become and, most importantly, the less time any incoming manager has to assess the squad and do any wheeling and dealing in the January window

• Like 4

I’m not one for conspiracy theories but the disparity between spending on the back 5 versus forwards during Venky’s reign simply cannot be the collective brain farts of seven different managers. Come to think of it, when was the last time we lashed out on a good midfielder?

Which leads to the second point as to why then does Mowbray not walk? Personally, I think all the “man of integrity” stuff is groupthink on here. I’m sure he is honest, but I’m also sure he loves football so much he’d stay in a job that gives him 90% of what he loves versus being on the dole and getting 0%.

• Like 1