BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Pedro said:

Honestly, I never rated Robinson at all, so for me the last decent keeper we signed was Friedel (unless there's someone obvious I've forgotten).

Massive boots to fill in the form of Friedel though so anything was a step down.  Robinson was a competent Prem keeper a good one if not a great one. Went on the slide badly once Allardyce left but replacing him with Boro's 3rd choice Steel was ridiculous but par for the course.

Raya offered some respite with his potential but we were at lhe 1 level by then. Really though they've shopped in poundland for keepers and defenders just like managers all along.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Mowbray’s delusion rubbing off on the players now:

@TosinAdarabioyo: Not the result we wanted or deserved on the weekend but we've got two weeks now to right our wrongs! 

Every Rovers player on twitter probably has that tweet pinned ready to use again. Standard club issue tweet i think.

I think you're absolutely right about that type of thing rubbing off on players though. They aren't stupid they pick up on things that's a large part of a reason why managers run out of steam after a few years and basically a new voice is needed with a different attitude.

I don't think it's delusion with our lot more the shoulder shrugging excuse making nature of the main man. 

Edited by tomphil

Tony won't have that much pressure as his mates are with him, the owners are absent and useless and a sizeable chunk of the fan base are ok with losing to Leeds or West Brom as they are chasing promotion.

To add to Tomphil's point about attitudes rubbing off onto players, it's why Ferguson was so good as he was so driven to win and wanted trophies. Roy Keane is the same, but he's an absolute fruit cake so he is not subtle and nuanced when needed.

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Tony won't have that much pressure as his mates are with him, the owners are absent and useless and a sizeable chunk of the fan base are ok with losing to Leeds or West Brom as they are chasing promotion.

To add to Tomphil's point about attitudes rubbing off onto players, it's why Ferguson was so good as he was so driven to win and wanted trophies. Roy Keane is the same, but he's an absolute fruit cake so he is not subtle and nuanced when needed.

I’d love Keane to come in

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I wouldn't. Sure he's the opposite of Tony but he's been rubbish apart from that season or two at Sunderland before he took them back down. He's mental.

Great pundit, mind you. Even if I don't agree with everything he says, at least he's outspoken and opinionated, unlike all the dullards on BBC who are stealing a living.

There's nothing wrong with having a manager who you suspect might grab you by the throat or offer you out onto the car park if you're acting up.

What guys like Kean need are a really good coach and backroom staff around them to provide that buffer zone between manager and players. To reel them in a bit when needed and cover any weak points coaching wise they might have, the jobs for the boys mentality has cost a few managers their jobs imo.

Along with this snowflake culture which is ruining everything not just football.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

I have wondered about the answer, but that would be totally ridiculous....( at a normal club)

He knew the fans and senior players loved him. TM doesn't do normal!

Normal wouldn't be dropping your top scorer and player of the year from the previous season in favour of somebody who has hit the back of the net, in the last 18 months, less than Derek Williams. 

Normal wouldn't be saying quite passionately that defenders are coming and then spunk the money on more attacking players.

Normal wouldn't be Blackburn Rovers under the Venkys!!

• Like 1

the most frustrating aspect of the mowbray tenure is the fact we are defensively inept but very good going forwards,so what does tony do??he has us playing defensively,trying to nullify the oppostion,i really can`t understand it,we might as well go on the offensive,granted we`ll concede goals,but we`re doing that now without scoring,i honestly think we`ve got the nucleus of a decent side,it just needs someone to come in with a complete new mindset,who knows,we might even get manager who thinks playing with two strikers is`nt a mortal sin

• Like 3

We knew from Chapman's loan spell in League One 2 things:

1) Mowbray had no intention of starting Chapman in games, even at that level never mind in the Championship 

2) Chapman was an is made of glass which will always restrict his contribution on the pitch.

So it comes as absolutely no surprise to see what has happened. Staggering that Mowbray would hand him a multi year deal if he didn't think he was up to it.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Mowbray will never give anyone licence to run riot, so we might as well put that one to bed.

If they do even try to run riot, they’ll be dropped.

lol,the phrases free role,run riot,get forward,attack,get down the wing,beat the full back,get the cross in quickly,make the final pass count and overlapping fullback are enough to make mowbray put you on the transfer list,you can imagine him bawling at you at half time,"don`t ever do stuff like that again" or "how dare you use that language in my dressing room"

• Like 1