BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I'll say it again Samuel was straight back in the squad the min he was fit and he got some mins and probably will again soon. Yet Chapman who Mowbray made such a fuss of getting here and who's been playing U23s regularly and getting a few goals and assists doesn't get a snifter.

Yet again something not right about this and is it any surprise if he's having an attitude issue ?

Give him a go, lets have a bit of carrot and stick and if he doesn't take his chance or is still playing up then off to lge 1 or 2 he goes for a bit. I presume he didn't cost much and isn't on big wages although you never know with this lot but if so he should be quite easy to shift.  Stop carrying dead wood because we are too nice or too soft to make these type of decisions.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

• Backroom
13 hours ago, booth said:

"I really like Harry Chapman, that’s the reason he’s here. The seriousness of football is something that he has to know."

Says the man who gambled away pretty much all our transfer budget, two years running on players with no track record of scoring goals when we needed a defence.

Any chance you could start knowing the seriousness of football Tony? Maybe lead by example?

Maybe this is part of his problem, talking about the seriousness of football!

It drills the individuality out of people, let people play with passion Tony, let them off the leash man

I see shoots of it with Travis, he’s still a great young player but he seems to be coached to play more like an Evans or Lowe type, the forward passes are reducing.

• Like 5

When Souness was starting young lads with flair like Dunn, Duff etc and blooding Taylor in defence, as well as players he signed he spent his time on the touchline bawling at them to 'do your stuff' and 'track effing back' .

He liked to harness their talent first and foremost then work on the other stuff second surely that's how you get the best out of players like that. Yes they've got to learn but they will probably more so if they are being encouraged to do what they are good at first and enjoying it.  When you have some talent there good at doing certain things for god sakes use it whilst you can on a matchday. Mowbray first and foremost seems terrified of a player streaking fwds losing the ball and being hit on the counter rather than encouraging it to be done so we can create and score.

Such a lack of faith he seems to have in some of them and the team as a whole. It's no wonder they go into their shells then he's always just relying on the this 'team spirit' from the older favs to see us through. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'll say it again Samuel was straight back in the squad the min he was fit and he got some mins and probably will again soon. Yet Chapman who Mowbray made such a fuss of getting here and who's been playing U23s regularly and getting a few goals and assists doesn't get a snifter.

Yet again something not right about this and is it any surprise if he's having an attitude issue ?

Give him a go, lets have a bit of carrot and stick and if he doesn't take his chance or is still playing up then off to lge 1 or 2 he goes for a bit. I presume he didn't cost much and isn't on big wages although you never know with this lot but if so he should be quite easy to shift.  Stop carrying dead wood because we are too nice or too soft to make these type of decisions.

He brought Samuel on with 10/15 mins to go, as essentially a right wing back. He was hopeless as you'd expect and to be fair I couldn't have a go at him because he was being asked to use a skill set he doesn't have. All this at a time when we were chasing the game.

Thanks for reminding me about this because it made literally no sense.

• Like 2

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

He brought Samuel on with 10/15 mins to go, as essentially a right wing back. He was hopeless as you'd expect and to be fair I couldn't have a go at him because he was being asked to use a skill set he doesn't have. All this at a time when we were chasing the game.

Thanks for reminding me about this because it made literally no sense.

It only makes sense in the great tombola aka accommodating players from his bloated unbalanced squad so they don't sulk.

• Like 1

Tony needs to firmly decide on a formation or two that he wants to play.

Then go into the transfer market and get the best players he can, to go along with the best of what we have already, to play in that/those 2 formations.

What it appears happens is that he looks at what he can get in the market and then use those plus his favourites and play them somewhere in his team.

It really isn't rocket science. If I was in charge I would make sure I had 2 decent quality players in each position, so if there's an injury to one then the alternative is a decent replacement, playing in their natural position.

For instance if we are playing 4-2-3-1 then....

2 X GK

2 X RB

2 X LB

4 X CB

4 X CM

2 X AM

2 X RW

2 X LW

3 X CF

Let's not piss about with average squad players ie Smallwood Samuel Evans Bell Bennett etc..

God I'd love a go at Mowbray's job, as I suspect we all would.

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Then go into the transfer market and get the best players he can, to go along with the best of what we have already, to play in that/those 2 formations.

What it appears happens is that he looks at what he can get in the market and then use those plus his favourites and play them somewhere in his team.

It really isn't rocket science. If I was in charge I would make sure I had 2 decent quality players in each position, so if there's an injury to one then the alternative is a decent replacement, playing in their natural position.

2 X GK

2 X RB

2 X LB

4 X CB

4 X CM

2 X AM

2 X RW

2 X LW

3 X CF

Let's not piss about with average squad players ie Smallwood Samuel Evans Bell Bennett etc..

LINEUP111573730203391.png

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When Souness was starting young lads with flair like Dunn, Duff etc and blooding Taylor in defence, as well as players he signed he spent his time on the touchline bawling at them to 'do your stuff' and 'track effing back' .

He liked to harness their talent first and foremost then work on the other stuff second surely that's how you get the best out of players like that. Yes they've got to learn but they will probably more so if they are being encouraged to do what they are good at first and enjoying it.  When you have some talent there good at doing certain things for god sakes use it whilst you can on a matchday. Mowbray first and foremost seems terrified of a player streaking fwds losing the ball and being hit on the counter rather than encouraging it to be done so we can create and score.

Such a lack of faith he seems to have in some of them and the team as a whole. It's no wonder they go into their shells then he's always just relying on the this 'team spirit' from the older favs to see us through. 

It's weird with Chapman. Not saying he would be the answer to our prayers, because he would just receive the same treatment as Rothwell, although the former is suited more as an impact sub. However, it's not as if we are excelling at one end of the pitch or the other, otherwise I could better understand his exclusion.  

Edited by Amo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

God I'd love a go at Mowbray's job, as I suspect we all would

It must be a really difficult job when you consider the scrutiny you're under as a football manager, having to please the players, the media, find players, try to convince players to join you, trying to keep them happy individually whilst trying to get them working as a group. I've probably only mentioned half of the job there.

So why make it even more bloody difficult for yourself like Mowbray continually does? It's borderline masochistic.

Edited by booth
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, toogs said:

This article applies word for word to the current situation at Rovers. Except Celtic realised he was a dudd much more quickly and potted him straight away.

For me that time came at the Deepdale debacle. Last seasons game, not this.

http://www.ntvcelticfanzine.com/farewell then/fwl mowbray and co.htm

At least Celtics ''hope'' stayed around until the end of the Festive Season of that Season. Ours did a runner a while ago.

It beggars belief that anyone could mess up so badly at Celtic in the SPL but then again ''Maybe it’s a league for organising your team properly, picking a defence that doesn’t give away free gifts every week, not allowing yourself to be outnumbered in central midfield and playing strikers who can play in inside the penalty box?""

• Like 3

"Rovers 2020" after relegation will be without Nyambe (out of contract), Lenihan and Williams (both sold), Cunningham (too good for L1), Travis, Dack and Holtby (all sold), Bell, Smallwood, Downing, Graham and Samuel (all out of contract),. But never mind, Mowbray's faves will still be around - Evans, Bennett, Brereton, Armstrong along with Johnson and Chapman clinging to their contracts.

5 hours ago, booth said:

It must be a really difficult job when you consider the scrutiny you're under as a football manager, having to please the players, the media, find players, try to convince players to join you, trying to keep them happy individually whilst trying to get them working as a group. I've probably only mentioned half of the job there.

So why make it even more bloody difficult for yourself like Mowbray continually does? It's borderline masochistic.

He is the root cause of all of our problems. How hard is it to play players in their proper positions, stick with a balanced side for a few games, make substitutions that are attack-minded when we are chasing a result and identify that the defence needs investing in? I've well and truly had enough of him. In truth, I grew tired of him 12months ago and definitely wanted shut around Easter time.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

2 X GK

2 X RB

2 X LB

4 X CB

4 X CM

2 X AM

2 X RW

2 X LW

3 X CF

Unfortunately and I don't mean any disrespect but that number of signings won't happen over the next few windows. I also find it crazy that a manager more than 2 and a half years into his time doesn't have formations and tactics nailed down.

It's time to go!

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

I know this bloke divides opinion but I wouldn't be against Roy Keane coming in on an initial 6 month contract. He has so much fire in his belly I'm pretty sure he would sort the shambles at Ewood out!! 

nothing against keane,he was a world class player,but this is his major problem,he simply can`t understand why his players can`t do what he used to do and thats why he gets frustrated and thus his management record is pretty poor,it happens to loads of world class players,they usually make terrible managers because they can`t manage or understand  players who ar`nt as good as they were,bobby moore for example was a shocking manager,so was bobby charlton

• Like 1

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

Unfortunately and I don't mean any disrespect but that number of signings won't happen over the next few windows. I also find it crazy that a manager more than 2 and a half years into his time doesn't have formations and tactics nailed down.

It's time to go!

I agree. My point was that he has had long enough to put that type of squad together. He's way out of his depth, and the cracks are becoming craters

6 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

It's time to go!

It's how he operates though and he won't change ( unlike his teams and tactics ) the one constant is change with him. Yet it nearly always ends up in poor frustrating performances, the odd half every now and then and the good 1 in 5 win aside.

A read through any of his former clubs fans opinions when he was there will all tell exactly the same.  The most frustrating gaffer iv'e seen at Rovers in football terms.

• Like 1

tony needs a bang on the head(unintentionally of course) i once did a  few weeks for a landscaping company,one of my colleagues got whacked in the head by the jcb bucket,after being in a kind of semi coma for a few days,he woke up and had a completely different personality,before he was a bit of a miserable git after the accident he was the life and soul of the party?

4 hours ago, toogs said:

This article applies word for word to the current situation at Rovers. Except Celtic realised he was a dudd much more quickly and potted him straight away.

For me that time came at the Deepdale debacle. Last seasons game, not this.

http://www.ntvcelticfanzine.com/farewell then/fwl mowbray and co.htm

This article sums up Mowbray perfectly. He clearly hasn't changed. 17SPL wins out of 30 is a disgrace. No wonder he was potted.