BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

56 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I know this bloke divides opinion but I wouldn't be against Roy Keane coming in on an initial 6 month contract. He has so much fire in his belly I'm pretty sure he would sort the shambles at Ewood out!! 

I'd be against it. 

In the short term, he'd get results because he'd get the players fired up and giving them a boot up the backside but medium to long term he just gets found out as being a poor manager.

Like Tim Sherwood, just not very good managers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Amo said:

Bit unfair on Sherwood tbh. He did well at Tottenham and didn't have his staff at Villa.

If he came here with Chris Ramsey, who knows? 

It's probably just my poor memory at play to be fair.

I thought he went into Spurs and Villa all fired up and they eventually tailed off but as I say, it's probably just my shit memory.

Graham and Mulgrew were a big part of the reason Tony did OK in his first couple of years here. They contributed 25 goals between them last year for example. One of them now doesn't start and the other has left the club. 

Tony's answer has been Brereton, Gallagher and Armstrong. I can't even be arsed to look how many goals they've scored between them but it's next to fuck all. So our lack of goals this year was absolutely inevitable. 

Combine that with no investment in an already shakey defence and the writing has been on the wall for Mowbray since the beginning of the season. 

He won't leave though, and part of me can't blame him for that. And actually looking at the bigger picture he's probably the level we are operating at now. Absolutely criminal what Venkys have done to us. 

Edited by CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Graham and Mulgrew were a big part of the reason Tony did OK in his first couple of years here. They contributed 25 goals between them last year for example. One of them now doesn't start and the other has left the club. 

Tony's answer has been Brereton, Gallagher and Armstrong. I can't even be arsed to look how many goals they've scored between them but it's next to fuck all. So our lack of goals this year was absolutely inevitable. 

Combine that with no investment in an already shakey defence and the writing has been on the wall for Mowbray since the beginning of the season. 

He won't leave though, and part of me can't blame him for that. And actually looking at the bigger picture he's probably the level we are operating at now. Absolutely criminal what Venkys have done to us. 

Poor recruitment in summer 2018 was overcome by still being able to rely on the Mulgrew, Graham and Dacks who were on form and banging in goals, usually from set pieces or the good Dack and Graham partnership rather than good team play.

In getting shut of one, trying to phase out another leaving Dack isolated he's brought problems on himself which are exacerbated by his terrible transfer business.

• Like 5

Just now, JHRover said:

Poor recruitment in summer 2018 was overcome by still being able to rely on the Mulgrew, Graham and Dacks who were on form and banging in goals, usually from set pieces or the good Dack and Graham partnership rather than good team play.

In getting shut of one, trying to phase out another leaving Dack isolated he's brought problems on himself which are exacerbated by his terrible transfer business.

Yep totally agree. Moving away from the Graham, Dack, Mulgrew axis has fucked him. And he's not good enough in the transfer market or a talented enough manager to transition away from what was working for him and yet he's still tried to. I actually respect him for that. 

I believe he'll leave at some point soon I just hope we're still in this division and Venkys stumble across someone better. LOL

• Like 1

13 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tony needs a bang on the head(unintentionally of course) i once did a  few weeks for a landscaping company,one of my colleagues got whacked in the head by the jcb bucket,after being in a kind of semi coma for a few days,he woke up and had a completely different personality,before he was a bit of a miserable git after the accident he was the life and soul of the party?

You might want to delete this, you will give Venkys ideas for how to make the crowd happy with shit football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Mulgrew was right to be show the door. Should have been done earlier in the summer. 

His recruitment in certain areas hasnt been good enough granted. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mulgrew was right to be show the door. Should have been done earlier in the summer. 

Yes but surely he should have been kept for his goals and set pieces alone....the other defenders are just as crap and they don’t score goals. I’d have kept him and benched him a bit more against the better teams etc but not get shut....just another piece of bad management.

You could say the same about Del, Benno, Evans, Smallwood, etc but they are all still here and apart from Dels 2 goals a season I don’t think any of these contribute any more than Charlie would have done 

Edited by Sparks Rover

Put him in a back 3 for added protection or move him into defensive midfield with Travis - either way we'd still get his set piece benefits and goals.

Yes he was finished in a 4-4-2 but we need his goals and continue to create hardly any chances or shots whatsoever.

32 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Why? Just why?

This seems a dangerous obsession. Why weaken players by taking them out of their best position?

Thinking on it,, I wonder if there is an element of I need to find a centre mid who is decent as I've dropped another clanger with Johnson. A bit like with covering up the Gally situation by shifting him wide right.

No other club - not one - would have agreed to loan Mulgrew out on deadline day to a rival. 

Even if we were blessed with an array of quality defenders we would have kept him until January as backup and mainly for his set piece ability and goals.

To send him to Wigan when we did no doubt partly subsidised by ourselves was the latest in a long line of bizarre decisions made. 

Enough money to splash £7 million on Brereton but not enough to assemble a competent defence and ending up trying to save money by sending players out on deadline day.

Something rotten in the state of Denmark.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes but surely he should have been kept for his goals and set pieces alone....the other defenders are just as crap and they don’t score goals. I’d have kept him and benched him a bit more against the better teams etc but not get shut....just another piece of bad management.

You could say the same about Del, Benno, Evans, Smallwood, etc but they are all still here and apart from Dels 2 goals a season I don’t think any of these contribute any more than Charlie would have done 

How could we have kept him for his goals and set-pieces alone without having him start? It's not American football where we can just bring him on to take kicks. As for the other defenders not scoring, I'm pretty sure Williams is our top scorer. 

In other words, i have collected far too many attacking midfielders and i cannot fit them all into my team.

I have Dack, Armstrong, Rothwell, Downing, Gallagher, Brereton, Samuel and Bennett (when not playing LB, RB, CM, GK) as it is for those 3 positions behind and thats before the likes of Chapman and JRC. I know half of them are strikers but I like my strikers to play on the wings, my midfielders to play in defence, and my full backs to play at CB.

The German international Holtby will first have to learn from Smallwood and Evans on how to play conservatively and not be too creative, so we will stick him in defensive midfield for now until that process has been completed. 

• Like 6

If Mowbray had managed Matthaus or Zidane he'd have moved them about week in week out to accommodate others he liked.

It's getting beyond ridiculous now.

Pray to heaven we get through this season reasonably unscathed then wave bye bye in the summer. Before he spews the next budget and we kick off in front of 7k ST holders and whatever walk ons Waggot & co haven't priced out.

12k averages next season including aways, it's coming i tell you.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Fans of other clubs were blown away jealous when we managed to snap up Holtby. Watch how he gets mis-used and mismanaged just like the rest of our talented players. Anywhere else he would be straight in the team in his best position, ala Reed at Fulham.  

He was brilliant against Huddersfield and I saw enough that day to convince me that he should be starting every match.

• Like 5

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

How could we have kept him for his goals and set-pieces alone without having him start? It's not American football where we can just bring him on to take kicks. As for the other defenders not scoring, I'm pretty sure Williams is our top scorer. 

If we are getting beat and need a goal get him on for the last 20 minutes. I'd be more confident of him lashing in a free kick in injury time than any of our other lot scoring an equaliser the way we play.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

If we are getting beat and need a goal get him on for the last 20 minutes. I'd be more confident of him lashing in a free kick in injury time than any of our other lot scoring an equaliser the way we play.

Perfect example of that, against Huddersfield I think it was.

Injury time free kick just outside the area, Dack and Williams stood over it, after a few minutes of messing about, Dack side foots it straight into the middle of the wall, about chest height.

• Like 2