BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

9 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Yet he can also play anywhere in the three behind, listed as a AMC/Winger on Wiki. he started and played in the same lineup as Dack and was MOM against Huddersfield. He should be in the same team, not competing with him. They can be fluid and swap around too (though TM would hate that). Completely wasted in DMC, a position he has only played in for 10% of his career performances. 

I know who I would be starting between him and AA.

I believe Holtby played in central midfield for Hamburg.

One thing is for sure, he needs to play the majority of games in a settled position. It makes some sense to have him in central midfield where he can perhaps dictate games and give us a step up in technical ability on what we have in there but I thought he was really poor v Leeds in there. Im not sure playing wide suits him best either, but with a license to be a bit more positionally fluid he has looked brighter looking to play one twos with Dack and just generally being more incisive with his passes than our other wide options who all seem to flatter to deceive.

For all of his obvious talent, I do think there is a reasonable chance that his spell here will be underwhelming just because I am not convinced exactly where he can fit in best. You would want him in a number 10 role but theres no way you can drop Dack.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I believe Holtby played in central midfield for Hamburg.

One thing is for sure, he needs to play the majority of games in a settled position. It makes some sense to have him in central midfield where he can perhaps dictate games and give us a step up in technical ability on what we have in there but I thought he was really poor v Leeds in there. Im not sure playing wide suits him best either, but with a license to be a bit more positionally fluid he has looked brighter looking to play one twos with Dack and just generally being more incisive with his passes than our other wide options who all seem to flatter to deceive.

For all of his obvious talent, I do think there is a reasonable chance that his spell here will be underwhelming just because I am not convinced exactly where he can fit in best. You would want him in a number 10 role but theres no way you can drop Dack.

Left back or right wing then obviously.

11 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

But would the owners permit Mowbray to spend significant sums on a full back ?

I'd be surprised if they ever let him spend significant sums on anyone ever again unless they or their pals are the ones giving the orders.

There was a rumour a while back after promotion that the owners were so delighted they wanted to give TM 20 mill to spend. He shite himself at the prospect and talked them out of it. advising to invest it slowly backed up by the fact big spending might affect FFP

Well if there is any truth in that it's looking like he's pished over half of it right up the wall apart from Armstrong who might turn out to be one they'll get their cash back on. Is there another 7 million in the spot or has he spewed a lump of that as well on wages for short term contracts for old men like Downing, Johnson plus loan fees ?

Along with that he's probably blowing any chance we've ever had under Venkys of making real headway in the division. That kind of money way well have gone now or dry up to a trickle in the near future.  Now can you understand a bit better why a lot of us are concerned with this season pigs ear he's making of it ?

Edited by tomphil

12 minutes ago, m1st said:

Up to a point, martonrover. Because I no longer drive, I tend to leave Ewood about 10-15 minutes before the end of the game so that I can get a bus to Bolton - the first leg of my journey home - before Bolton Road is closed to traffic. Increasingly, it feels like common sense to have left early - not only am I likely to get home a bit sooner, but I won't really be missing anything by doing so.

And yet; and yet; within this 73-year-old frame, beats the heart of the 7-year-old who: was born in Blackpool to a couple of Blackburners; was dead proud at that age to wear a blue and white replica shirt among all the tangerine; and will be, in the words of the song that always has a lump in my throat each time I join in, "Rovers till I die".

But I fear that pragmatism will win. At the moment, it's 60/40 on me not renewing my season ticket because the team Mowbray puts out seem to me an unexciting amalgam of footballers, usually with several playing out of position, rather than their proper - best - positon. And in turn that seems to be because the manager - the buck stops with you, Mowbray - has signed: few defenders so that the defence is always one injury away from being a real disaster zone; a plethora of midfielders but no proper wingers to feed our strikers who are a pale shadow of the attack Uncle Jack bought us.

I think you're right, martonrover, when you talk about the fire in Warnock's belly. But, personally, I think that signing him as manager - even if he could be induced to come here - would only lead to a temporary improvement in our present situation at best. I certainly don't think he could build a team with a reasonable chance of avoiding a return to the Championship after one season, as Chris Wilder seems to have done at Sheffield United or - excuse my language - as Dyche has done with That Lot down the M65.

I've previously expressed the opinion that Damien Johnson ought to be given a chance. Given the way the team - our team - are floundering at the moment, what have we to lose?

Love this post, Andrew. Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, m1st said:

I've previously expressed the opinion that Damien Johnson ought to be given a chance. Given the way the team - our team - are floundering at the moment, what have we to lose?

Our Championship status.

At the moment, as dull as it is and as obvious it is that a change in the dugout is required, we still remain a member of the 2nd tier, one good season away from the Premier League. Unlikely to happen under these idiots yes, but possible.

A return to League One would be horrific in many ways.

The job of being Rovers manager is one for an experienced gaffer who knows the duties, expectations and pressure of being a boss at this level or higher. Particularly when handling the extra baggage of the idiots in Pune and the sham board of directors.

Weve seen this with the spells of Kean, Berg, Appleton and to a lesser extent Bowyer.

I've no doubt that they will be desperate for Johnson to step into the managers office after Mowbray. I think this will be for a few reasons. Firstly he's already here and under contract which removes the need to conduct a comprehensive and potentially expensive recruitment process. Secondly they appear to still have delusions of being able to circumvent the transfer market by using all our own homegrown players and enhancing their values ready for sale. Sadly that isnt compatible with success on the pitch and will likely relegate us sooner rather than later.

No other club does it. Do we know better than everyone else? Almost certainly not. Only a few clubs have gone with the promote a reserve coach to manager routine and none have lasted or ended well. The best there has been is Bowyer here and most people wanted him gone after a couple of years.

I worry that the worse it gets under Mowbray that it will become more acceptable for us to take the easy option with Johnson and for it to be sold to the fans as a logical step.

I don't dislike the bloke and saw what a good job he did with the u23s but my interest is in what is best for Blackburn Rovers not for one mans career or as a reward for hard work.

The manager job is crucial and we need to explore the world in search of the best man for the job. Not just take the easiest option because we've a nice bloke who did well with the reserves already here.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Our Championship status.

It feels to me that we are barely hanging on to it as it is! Very high chance of relegation if TM stays much longer.

Its not as if Johnson is clueless is it?

The danger is that we 'll make a change when its too late and things will be worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Our Championship status.

At the moment, as dull as it is and as obvious it is that a change in the dugout is required, we still remain a member of the 2nd tier, one good season away from the Premier League. Unlikely to happen under these idiots yes, but possible.

A return to League One would be horrific in many ways.

The job of being Rovers manager is one for an experienced gaffer who knows the duties, expectations and pressure of being a boss at this level or higher. Particularly when handling the extra baggage of the idiots in Pune and the sham board of directors.

Weve seen this with the spells of Kean, Berg, Appleton and to a lesser extent Bowyer.

I've no doubt that they will be desperate for Johnson to step into the managers office after Mowbray. I think this will be for a few reasons. Firstly he's already here and under contract which removes the need to conduct a comprehensive and potentially expensive recruitment process. Secondly they appear to still have delusions of being able to circumvent the transfer market by using all our own homegrown players and enhancing their values ready for sale. Sadly that isnt compatible with success on the pitch and will likely relegate us sooner rather than later.

No other club does it. Do we know better than everyone else? Almost certainly not. Only a few clubs have gone with the promote a reserve coach to manager routine and none have lasted or ended well. The best there has been is Bowyer here and most people wanted him gone after a couple of years.

I worry that the worse it gets under Mowbray that it will become more acceptable for us to take the easy option with Johnson and for it to be sold to the fans as a logical step.

I don't dislike the bloke and saw what a good job he did with the u23s but my interest is in what is best for Blackburn Rovers not for one mans career or as a reward for hard work.

The manager job is crucial and we need to explore the world in search of the best man for the job. Not just take the easiest option because we've a nice bloke who did well with the reserves already here.

Totally agree JHR.

no doubt DJ is well thought of and is probably a very good coach and developer of good talent . But he’s never been on the frontline . U23s is not the frontline .

our frontline , in the championship ( for now), in a toxic club, run by idiots from 6000 miles away with zero power in the UK or a board that are complete puppets is a long way beyond a guy who has never been exposed to that before . One of those single elements is bad enough but we have all of them!!

Mowbray is a clown who needs to go but DJ isn’t that man to replace him - at least not yet . 
The next guy must be a very strong and forthright disciplinarian which is the complete opposite character of what Suhail or Venkys want here . Hence the reason we are well and truly in the mire.

Edited by TBTF

4 hours ago, m1st said:

Up to a point, martonrover. Because I no longer drive, I tend to leave Ewood about 10-15 minutes before the end of the game so that I can get a bus to Bolton - the first leg of my journey home - before Bolton Road is closed to traffic. Increasingly, it feels like common sense to have left early - not only am I likely to get home a bit sooner, but I won't really be missing anything by doing so.

And yet; and yet; within this 73-year-old frame, beats the heart of the 7-year-old who: was born in Blackpool to a couple of Blackburners; was dead proud at that age to wear a blue and white replica shirt among all the tangerine; and will be, in the words of the song that always has a lump in my throat each time I join in, "Rovers till I die".

But I fear that pragmatism will win. At the moment, it's 60/40 on me not renewing my season ticket because the team Mowbray puts out seem to me an unexciting amalgam of footballers, usually with several playing out of position, rather than their proper - best - positon. And in turn that seems to be because the manager - the buck stops with you, Mowbray - has signed: few defenders so that the defence is always one injury away from being a real disaster zone; a plethora of midfielders but no proper wingers to feed our strikers who are a pale shadow of the attack Uncle Jack bought us.

I think you're right, martonrover, when you talk about the fire in Warnock's belly. But, personally, I think that signing him as manager - even if he could be induced to come here - would only lead to a temporary improvement in our present situation at best. I certainly don't think he could build a team with a reasonable chance of avoiding a return to the Championship after one season, as Chris Wilder seems to have done at Sheffield United or - excuse my language - as Dyche has done with That Lot down the M65.

Now that's what you call a reply ?

Every credit, and I only wish I still felt the same way.

I live in Blackpool now and have spent much of my life there.

For me, it's not just about the shortcomings of Mowbray.

I simply have no faith in the owners or the people they have installed to run the club in England.

It's got to the point where the club is so tainted I barely recognise it anymore.

I certainly wouldn't have Warnock as my first choice to take over, but if it was a choice between him and Mowbray, Mowbray would come third.

I'm not averse to the idea of Johnson taking over, but think there are better options out there.

Unfortunately, it's likely that nothing will be changed until it's too late.

It needs an natural upgrade, Mowbray was an upgrade on Coyle and imo Lambert might have proved an upgrade on Bowyer had he stayed and been given similar backing. Regardless of his style of play etc that takes time to bed in something that TM had had plenty of now but still doesn't know which way to go.

We missed a trick after GB not actually going for better than Lambert when they should have but on paper Lambert was an upgrade so a similar line needs to be followed now.  Preston - yes i know - upgraded from Grayson who was similar to GB & TM and got Neil who's more bullish and bold and it's paying dividends with a modest squad. I think they'll fall away again  but that's not his fault unless he wastes money they might get to strengthen. The way it's done here....

Trick is to do the opposite of knobend and get a half decent squad achieving what it should rather than an average one over achieving. There's in no excuse to be floundering round the bottom end when you can spend the money we have and pay the wages we do to a lot.

Non at all !

Edited by tomphil

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

If Mowbray isnt going any time soon I'd be on the blower now to Mick McCarthy offering him and Terry Connor a job after the Euro playoffs are over to start in the summer. 

I genuinely believe that would be a good fit now. He can do anything that Mowbray can do and more. He will rock in at Reading or somewhere like that and watch them get in the mix for the play-offs 

• Like 2

Rich making a good attempt at filling the inernational break void with 1000 pointless words about Mowbray's 1000 pointless days in charge.

Problem is the headline says we are a different Rovers from when he took over. No we aren't. We have a different flavour of useless picking the team but otherwise we are exactly the same.

What is the latest on the Lenihan and Williams injuries?

Is Nyambe back at Brockhall from international duty?

What have the players been doing this past fortnight?

What is Mowbray's points target for these next 4 easy games?

Why has the club postponed the supporters consultation meeting from Nov to Jan?

Edited by OldEwoodBlue
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Rich making a good attempt at filling the inernational break void with 1000 pointless words about Mowbray's 1000 pointless days in charge.

Problem is the headline says we are a different Rovers from when he took over. No we aren't. We have a different flavour of useless picking the team but otherwise we are exactly the same.

What is the latest on the Lenihan and Williams injuries?

Is Nyambe back at Brockhall from international duty?

What have the players been doing this past fortnight?

What is Mowbray's points target for these next 4 easy games?

Why has the club postponed the supporters consultation meeting from Nov to Jan?

No easy games in the Championship and very dangerous to think that there are 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

It needs an natural upgrade, Mowbray was an upgrade on Coyle and imo Lambert might have proved an upgrade on Bowyer had he stayed and been given similar backing. Regardless of his style of play etc that takes time to bed in something that TM had had plenty of now but still doesn't know which way to go.

We missed a trick after GB not actually going for better than Lambert when they should have but on paper Lambert was an upgrade so a similar line needs to be followed now.  Preston - yes i know - upgraded from Grayson who was similar to GB & TM and got Neil who's more bullish and bold and it's paying dividends with a modest squad. I think they'll fall away again  but that's not his fault unless he wastes money they might get to strengthen. The way it's done here....

Trick is to do the opposite of knobend and get a half decent squad achieving what it should rather than an average one over achieving. There's in no excuse to be floundering round the bottom end when you can spend the money we have and pay the wages we do to a lot.

Non at all !

That's an interesting point. In your opinion, or that of anybody else,  when did we last clearly overachieve in a game ?

The only one that sticks out is Hudds where they perhaps played beyond themselves for a half. In a whole game ?   No idea i don't think there is one, this season at least.

Even under Bowyer you could point to some cup games where we were above ourselves for 90+ mins.

Edited by tomphil