BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

12 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Until today I thought we were a mid-table team that had had a bad run, as all mid-table teams do. And we still are, if the players are committed. Today showed me that they aren’t. It wouldn’t surprise me if Mowbrays latest LT article digging out what he sees as the faults of half the team hadn’t lost the dressing room. Because it should have done. I’ve never read an interview like it.

But history has shown us that fan unrest, bad results, even relegation don’t have any influence whatsoever on the owners. He’ll be here till they decide he won’t be, no matter what happens on the field or in the stands.

Will we get anyone better? Probably not. How many of the last 8 managers have had their career enhanced by coming here? None. Would you come here? I wouldn’t.

Winter is coming.

Winter has been here for 8 years. It is football's equivalent of Narnia. No sign of Aslan either!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Until today I thought we were a mid-table team that had had a bad run, as all mid-table teams do. And we still are, if the players are committed. Today showed me that they aren’t. It wouldn’t surprise me if Mowbrays latest LT article digging out what he sees as the faults of half the team hadn’t lost the dressing room. Because it should have done. I’ve never read an interview like it.

But history has shown us that fan unrest, bad results, even relegation don’t have any influence whatsoever on the owners. He’ll be here till they decide he won’t be, no matter what happens on the field or in the stands.

Will we get anyone better? Probably not. How many of the last 8 managers have had their career enhanced by coming here? None. Would you come here? I wouldn’t.

Winter is coming.

They've all had their bank accounts enhanced by coming here as have their mates who came with them.

How many actually had a reputation to spoil anyway given where these lot choose from ? 

Berg went back to his natural habitat, Appleton went back to his level and did well, GB went from a nobody to promotion winning manager at Blackpool, Lambert came off the scrapheap then went straight into another job. Mowbray if he left tomorrow had a poor rep that has now been considerably enhanced by his time here. Allardyce certainly did ok afterwards so quite the opposite to not being enhanced really.

For both financial and football reasons plenty would come here it's a massive draw. Actually a reputation enhancer for anybody who isn't already in a decent job - the type we really need but won't pay for.  It's a no lose really because if/when they fail there is always Venkys to blame, usually rightly of course.

I haven't followed Mowbray's career closely enough, but I know that his WBA side were famed for their good football but powderpuff defending. Probably part of the reason they yo-yo'ed.

I wonder if Mowbray tried to reinvent himself after that experience and style himself a more modern manager? That would explain the overthinking and needlessly tinkering with tactics and team selection every week. Instead we end up with a team that's neither cavalier or tough to beat. Sure there's goals in us but that seems to be down to individual skill than anything else.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 47er said:

We beat the bottom club in the last few minutes. We were at home! We had 30+%  possession--- at home. They had way more shots than we did. They've won one game all season, in September I think. Their goal difference is the worst in the division,-18!

For God's sake, get some bloody perspective. Its fair enough to feel relief because we escaped. Its not a cause for dancing in the street is it?

Dance me through the panic?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amo said:

I haven't followed Mowbray's career closely enough, but I know that his WBA side were famed for their good football but powderpuff defending. Probably part of the reason they yo-yo'ed.

I wonder if Mowbray tried to reinvent himself after that experience and style himself a more modern manager? That would explain the overthinking and needlessly tinkering with tactics and team selection every week. Instead we end up with a team that's neither cavalier or tough to beat. Sure there's goals in us but that seems to be down to individual skill than anything else.

It's a good point.

We seem to have landed Mowbray V2.0, where we can't attack or defend and just pointlessly stick a few passes around in the middle.

Something has gone wrong in his approach here, we tend to have only have 1 or 2 shots on target most games and even when we have the majority of possession, it's not like a relentless onslaught at the opposition goal.

Despite Mowbray wanting to transform us into Peps Barca, we seemed to be a more effective outfit lumping the ball up to Graham and letting Dack play off him.

Although it made us hugely reliant on Graham and Dack to score goals, the rest of the team still don't contribute anywhere near enough in goals or assists. He's just handicapped us further by taking away Grahams goalscoring ability.

• Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

It's a good point.

We seem to have landed Mowbray V2.0, where we can't attack or defend and just pointlessly stick a few passes around in the middle.

Something has gone wrong in his approach here, we tend to have only have 1 or 2 shots on target most games and even when we have the majority of possession, it's not like a relentless onslaught at the opposition goal.

Despite Mowbray wanting to transform us into Peps Barca, we seemed to be a more effective outfit lumping the ball up to Graham and letting Dack play off him.

Although it made us hugely reliant on Graham and Dack to score goals, the rest of the team still don't contribute anywhere near enough in goals or assists. He's just handicapped us further by taking away Grahams goalscoring ability.

Re the rest of the team not scoring. At the some point in the game you've got to get yourself in or around the penalty area to score goals. That's barring a fluke shot or cross from distance. Not enough of our players do that often enough.

• Like 2

Mowbray was quoted afterwards as saying that Barnsley are "an athletic young team and I didnt think it was a day for Stewy Downing."

Now I dont think I had him in my 11 for the game but hes picking and leaving out players in fear of the worst team in the league at home after not winning since the opening day. You just look at some of the consistent sides who play almost unchanged sides, feed off their consistency and are now successful in the Premier League, Sheff Utd and Burnley to name but 2 and you just have to shake your head.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't want Mowbray fired under the present owners because I don't think Mowbray is going to relegate us 

I'm not sure what you've seen to lead you to that conclusion, whilst I was watching the 2nd half yesterday I thought it would be no great surprise if I was watching the two teams that finish first and second bottom come the end of the season.

If Mowbray stays that is.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Re the rest of the team not scoring. At the some point in the game you've got to get yourself in or around the penalty area to score goals. That's barring a fluke shot or cross from distance. Not enough of our players do that often enough.

That's where Dack comes into his own. He knows exactly where to be to get goals. It's a part of footballing intelligence which often goes ignored - he isn't in these positions to score by chance. He knows the areas he needs to be in to create danger. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 4

Just now, DE. said:

That's where Dack comes into his own. He knows exactly where to be to get goals. It's a part of footballing intelligence which often goes ignored - he isn't always in these positions to score by chance. He knows the areas he needs to be in to create danger. 

I agree but you need more than Dack. What about the " wingers " getting into the box when the ball is on the other flank like Holtby did against Hudds.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree but you need more than Dack. What about the " wingers " getting into the box when the ball is on the other flank like Holtby did against Hudds.

Not enough intelligence across the rest of the team unfortunately. Armstrong has none, hence why he's always getting caught offside. Gallagher doesn't appear to have a whole lot as he's rarely in a position to be a serious threat. Downing and Holtby definitely know what they're doing on the pitch but the former has to conserve his energy at his current age and the latter is yet to be fully integrated into the team, most likely for fitness reasons. None of our full backs have anywhere near the intelligence required to be consistent threats, whilst Travis and most of our other CM's seem to be mentored to play it safe rather than try to push forward. Graham undoubtedly has it in bucketloads but is obviously being phased out. Hard to tell with Rothwell as we don't see enough of him on a regular basis.

When you have a lot of soldiers and few artists then there needs to be a good, consistent style of play which the entire group is comfortable with. I'm not sure that's the case at Rovers. I think Tony changes the plan from game-to-game based on the opposition and with our squad that's just going to result in confusion and disjointed play, which is often exactly what we see. 

Just now, DE. said:

Not enough intelligence across the rest of the team unfortunately. Armstrong has none, hence why he's always getting caught offside. Gallagher doesn't appear to have a whole lot as he's rarely in a position to be a serious threat. Downing and Holtby definitely know what they're doing on the pitch but the former has to conserve his energy at his current age and the latter is yet to be fully integrated into the team, most likely for fitness reasons. None of our full backs have anywhere near the intelligence required to be consistent threats, whilst Travis and most of our other CM's seem to be mentored to play it safe rather than try to push forward. Graham undoubtedly has it in bucketloads but is obviously being phased out. Hard to tell with Rothwell as we don't see enough of him on a regular basis.

When you have a lot of soldiers and few artists then there needs to be a good, consistent style of play which the entire group is comfortable with. I'm not sure that's the case at Rovers. I think Tony changes the plan from game-to-game based on the opposition and with our squad that's just going to result in confusion and disjointed play, which is often exactly what we see. 

As far as I can see he's just collected players ( mainly midfielders ) without much of an idea as to a coherent shape and way of playing.

• Like 2

First snipe at the fans. He has some brass neck, he’s been here almost 3 years with zero dissent pre Saturday. He’d have had it far earlier elsewhere..

“I felt, as a manager you shouldn’t criticise fans, but I felt the team needed support not anxiety.

“I built the expectation this year that I wanted to get to the top six and push on.

“The fact we’re falling short, maybe that’s where it came from. They deserve support, I think they’re giving everything they’ve got every week.

“There’s a lot of young footballers in there who all want to be in the Premier League one day.

“I think they all deserve support and thankfully we won.

“I know there’s a lot of people who support Blackburn Rovers through thick and thin.

“Maybe it was a bit of frustration from the terraces.”

Asked if he felt a second successive victory on home soil would lift some of the anxiety, he added: “I doubt it.

But probably more interestingly a hint that a resignation may happen...

Otherwise it’s going to be my fault every time we lose a game, I think. I don’t want to be a burden on this football club.

“I came here to Blackburn Rovers, because I love football, and this is a historic club and I won’t be a burden on the club.

“If it isn’t going well, I don’t need to get booed out, I’m a proud working-class man from the north-east and I’ve put a lot into the job.

“I’ve talked a lot about family and living away from them and what you give to a team by doing that and I think that’s why I still see a team that are still fighting until the final whistle, because they know that their gaffer is giving them everything he’s got.”

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/quicktest/18057490.mowbray-can-feel-anxiety-disenchantment-rovers-fans/

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not sure what you've seen to lead you to that conclusion, whilst I was watching the 2nd half yesterday I thought it would be no great surprise if I was watching the two teams that finish first and second bottom come the end of the season.

If Mowbray stays that is.

I've seen the league table for starters. We are seven points clear -compared with eight off the playoffs(for which I don't think we have any prospects at all).

I go back to the mid 60s as a supporter and so have experienced my fair share of relegations. This team does not "feel" like a relegation side; grabbing late winners as we have done twice this month is what relegation sides just don't do and whilst I take your point that visually we don't look that good an ability to eke out enough good results should keep us away from any serious difficulties.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Ok we did manage to scramble to a win against Barnsley but the way this bottom side they repeatedly carved through our defences in acres of space is a repeat of what happens every game regardless of the opposition, it has never been rectified and is down to the manager and coaching staff, the buck stops there.

The pathetic whining comments Mowbray has just made are those of a beaten man bereft of ideas and I believe if Brentford do as expected on Wednesday he may "walk".

I'm positive that all fans wanted him to succeed but after nearly 3 years a blind man could see that it's not going to happen, treading water at the lower end of this division is not success.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

“I came here to Blackburn Rovers, because I love football, and this is a historic club and I won’t be a burden on the club.

“If it isn’t going well, I don’t need to get booed out, I’m a proud working-class man from the north-east and I’ve put a lot into the job.

He's gonna walk if we get beat. I can feel it coming. If the crowd turn during the game that'll be it I reckon.

Over to us!!!! 

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

He's gonna walk if we get beat. I can feel it coming. If the crowd turn during the game that'll be it I reckon.

Over to us!!!! 

Don't get excited. He said defenders are coming and Gally will be banging them in. What he says and does are two different things. 

Apart from his treatment of Nayambe and Rothwell. He speaks negatively of them and treats them accordingly. But still I wouldn't listen too much to what he says. He'd be mad to give up his no accountability gig. 

It was only ‘Mowbray sort it out!’. Blimey, but he really must have taken offence.....

Far better managers have had similar - can remember a couple of ‘Big Sam, sort it out’ chants in his full season here. Ended up 10th in the Premier League of course.....

Edited by frosty
  • Like 1

A lot of weight attached to this concept of Mowbray setting the top 6 as a target and raising expectations of the fans.

Absolute nonsense.

First off every club at this level should aim for the top 6. Being in or close to the top 6 of this division is not an achievement. Getting promoted is.

Whether that target was announced by Mowbray in private or via loudspeaker on an open top bus matters not. The reality is he is failing to deliver on that target.

I think the biggest problem on Saturday was being comprehensively outplayed by the bottom club at home. That was why the fans were unhappy. And it has been dreadful almost all season.

Oh and Mowbray shouldn't be setting targets. That is the owners and boards job and Mowbray has to find a way to deliver. Just another example of the circus that is Blackburn Rovers.

• Like 6