BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Mowbray has been in this position before - at Celtic, Middlesbrough and Coventry - when the fans are turning or have turned and he shows no sign of turning it around. He will know the signs. It isnt unfamiliar territory. Perhaps that's just his management style. Mourinho does similar albeit on a much more successful scale. Popular and successful for a couple of years before it unravels. 

38 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

He's gonna walk if we get beat. I can feel it coming. If the crowd turn during the game that'll be it I reckon.

Over to us!!!! 

He won’t simply walk. Only way he’d leave off his own accord is if he strikes a nice pay off with Barry and Madame. He won’t kiss goodbye to that golden egg just like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I've seen the league table for starters. We are seven points clear -compared with eight off the playoffs(for which I don't think we have any prospects at all).

I go back to the mid 60s as a supporter and so have experienced my fair share of relegations. This team does not "feel" like a relegation side; grabbing late winners as we have done twice this month is what relegation sides just don't do and whilst I take your point that visually we don't look that good an ability to eke out enough good results should keep us away from any serious difficulties.

One of the most obvious features of this club over TM"s tenure is surely that we have spluttered to feeble defeats in the last few minutes----over and over again.

The 2 recent examples you quote are so untypical of our performances. We have some good players but mismanaged so I think there is a good chance of relegation but its more likely that we will just about stay up.

This is not progress and not what TM promised.

Wether you want to stick with TM or get rid,some of the abuse aimed at him is pathetic, whatever people think,he has done a very good job and deserves respect, like he says says, if folk want him out he will walk. 

The problem is the replacement, with the owners we have,they expect the manager to go to Pune twice a year, not sure some of the names banded about would do that. If results do not go to plan I hope he doesn’t get bombed out by the supporters but walks himself, heard on the grapevine that Gareth Ainsworth would jump at the chance and he would be my choice, young and hungry and would probably fit into the Venkys way. 

Still hope we win Wednesday and every game, not like some so called supporters hoping we lose just to get rid of him.

• Like 8

Just now, unsall said:

Wether you want to stick with TM or get rid,some of the abuse aimed at him is pathetic, whatever people think,he has done a very good job and deserves respect, like he says says, if folk want him out he will walk. 

The problem is the replacement, with the owners we have,they expect the manager to go to Pune twice a year, not sure some of the names banded about would do that. If results do not go to plan I hope he doesn’t get bombed out by the supporters but walks himself, heard on the grapevine that Gareth Ainsworth would jump at the chance and he would be my choice, young and hungry and would probably fit into the Venkys way. 

Still hope we win Wednesday and every game, not like some so called supporters hoping we lose just to get rid of him.

Gareth Ainsworth currently has Wycombe top of league 1. He would still leave that position to come here? With the basket case that is Rovers?

Feels like he is laying the ground work to walk. 

He can see that the team isn't adapting to the style he wants to play well enough. Understandably, our players just aren't good enough to pull off a Barca style possession based game. 

Writings on the wall that it wont work, he might very well jump before it gets too bad, his reputation will be firmly intact (in the football world) if he leaves and lays the blame at the feet of others (the fans/owners)

• Like 1

I think Mowbray is pretty lucky that the fans are only really starting to question him now, and its pretty poor form from him to go in at the fans like that at the first signs of any unrest.

We have been dreadful for 12 months now, that good will from the third division season was only going to last so long.

Anywhere else he would have had much more "abuse" by now than he has had here.

• Like 2

Just now, unsall said:

Problem is...it's our club...not theirs.

We expect them to hire a capable manager.

We expect them to put us back where we were before their alleged naivety took us to the 3rd division.

We expect them to respect Jack's legacy.

We expect them to come here twice a year.

Humbly of course.

• Like 4

If TM himself feels he can no longer take us forward to the goal of promotion then his position as Manager of this club is neither use nor ornament.

We need positivity,direction and drive from an enthusiastic figure head in charge.There can be no room for sentimentality and standing still in this game,look at Spurs,ruthless in their dismissal of pochettino.

It's your call Mowbray,if you walk there will be no tears shed.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

Not nice that it's coming to this but he's now acting like a slapped arse iv'e been thinking a while its all got too much for him. 

Just the same thing crept in with Bowyer for so long hero worshipped then things go wrong and they can't take the criticism so up goes the defences of denial. TM has been passing the buck around all season and now it's the fans turn, such a fine line as if they hadn't plundered the winner on Saturday he wouldn't have a leg to stand on but that one goal gives him license to blame the crowd.

Like i said slapped arse he's making it a sob story all about himself now constantly mentioning being away from family etc, doesn't bring that up when we are winning though eh just like fans aren't booing.  What people have to realise is a lot of managers, players, people involved in the game are every bit as fickle as some fans.  Yet they get thousands per week for all these awful sacrifices they so called have to make.

How about he stands there and accepts frustration at him spending 15 million quid on just 3 strikers who he can't fathom what to do with. And how in doing so along with changing the style and not addressing the real issues despite the obvious evidence of the last 12 months he's made us to date one of the poorest sides in the division ?

Facts speak for themselves.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 8

Mowbrays comments might be laying the ground work for resigning before he's fired, I still think he went to Pune in October to get more time and take the heat off himself. He's talked us up this season so i'd expect he's done the same with the owners they might be putting the pressure on hence putting this out there then walking rather than being fired. He can then look for a mid table league two club and start his whole working class man mantra again

28 minutes ago, unsall said:

What abuse? A few murmurs of discontent among the collective sigh of relief after Saturday's smash and grab?

Sorry but the pressure's on. Mowbray is old enough and ugly enough to know it comes with the territory. Compared to the vitriol that spews out of some fan-bases, the Rovers faithful have been muted when it comes to their dissatisfaction.    

Edited by Amo
  • Like 6

• Backroom

To be honest there was two chants of Mowbray sort it out and some boos when we conceded the second and then they nearly made it 3-2 

Hardly anything other than natural frustration 

Plus we won and we are told that’s all that matters so in that regard the crowd must have done the right thing 

• Backroom

Definitely echoes of the end of Bowyer's tenure when he started sniping back at the fans. Once it gets to that point it rarely ends well.

We are performing well below expectations (that Mowbray himself set), playing poorly week after week, still have no clear starting XI, have recruited badly both in defence and attack and there appears to be no answer from the manager or the players except to continue on the same increasingly unstable trajectory.

Every manager has a shelf-life and Mowbray is at that point now unfortunately. The writing is on the wall and whilst I'm still not convinced he'll walk, it seems more and more likely that his time here is coming to an end.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, unsall said:

Agree with this the personal stuff is out of order he's just another manager who's lost his way however if you start poking at fans then you stand yourself up as fair game for the hyenas i'm afraid.  Like iv'e said before this season a lot of clubs fans would've given him and the team pelters already including his beloved Boro.  He's out of order with these comments imo, not the context but the way he's put it across it's a blatant attempt to cover his and his teams failings this season.

For me still the best thing to do is both parties put it to one side for now get behind the lads ffs and all that and he needs to pull his head out of his own backside. Get back to a more effective style and formation and bloody stick with it.

Then at the end of the season whether we just miss relegation or finish two places above last season all shake hands and move him on. Start again with everyone's rep in tact and averting any full blown mid season crisis.

Of course if we don't pick up points in the next 3 then the situation is untenable.  If you ask me though he's looking for a way out and is just doing the damage limitation bit.

Over 1,000 days in the job and he has moved us up 5 positions in the league. All that money spent on 5 positions. Quite simply... NOT good enough!!

He can blame the fans, he can blame some players for not developing how he wants them to, but at the end of the day it's all his own doing!!

I don't care that his family live in the North East and he doesn't see them that much. He took the job, he gets paid more than most of us.

What I care about is my Club, our Club, my Rovers our Rovers.

• Like 6

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Over 1,000 days in the job and he has moved us up 5 positions in the league. All that money spent on 5 positions. Quite simply... NOT good enough!!

He can blame the fans, he can blame some players for not developing how he wants them to, but at the end of the day it's all his own doing!!

I don't care that his family live in the North East and he doesn't see them that much. He took the job, he gets paid more than most of us.

What I care about is my Club, our Club, my Rovers our Rovers.

Too right. All the "personal abuse" stuff is a classic diversionary tactic to take the edge off. Mowbray is paid rather handsomely to do this job. Like you said, he's wasted tens of millions to sustain us as a mediocre, bottom-half Championship side. Not good enough.

• Like 1